The 50 Most Controversial Movies Ever

ReRushed

OMG! Just when I thought I finally wiped all memory of this shitty movie from my memory, I see it listed here.

My young mind was scarred deeply when I walked out of the theatre that night scared.gif

I shoulda known it would be on the list!...

15. PINK FLAMINGOS (1972)

I knew the most "controversial" movie had to be "Last Temptation of Christ."

I wish they would release Song of the South. The PC police need to pick their battles.

The one that I thought would be number one was only number 20.

I remember when the actual number 1 was released. I remember being told in religion class to pray so that the movie would NOT arrive to the location where I lived. I remember telling my mother about it...

I have come a long way since then. I will not watch it- but I will not prevent others from watching it. It is in my library right now- available for checkout.

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 4 2011, 08:17 PM)
I wish they would release Song of the South. The PC police need to pick their battles.

I remember when the actual number 1 was released. I remember being told in religion class to pray so that the movie would NOT arrive to the location where I lived. I remember telling my mother about it...

I have come a long way since then. I will not watch it- but I will not prevent others from watching it. It is in my library right now- available for checkout.

The stupid thing is the "Splash Mountain" ride at Disneyland has all the SOTS characters in it, but Disney pretends the movie doesn't exist. They even changed the "tar baby" on the ride to honey.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Feb 4 2011, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 4 2011, 08:17 PM)

The stupid thing is the "Splash Mountain" ride at Disneyland has all the SOTS characters in it, but Disney pretends the movie doesn't exist. They even changed the "tar baby" on the ride to honey.

Has anyone seen Dumbo lately?

There are several stereotyped characters (birds) in the movie that really make you cringe. It was released form the vault a couple of years ago and I was surprised at how bad it was.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 4 2011, 12:46 PM)
I knew the most "controversial" movie had to be "Last Temptation of Christ."

I was looking for it and was freaking out that it wouldn't be mentioned (hell, I literally had to cross PICKET lines to see that movie when it came out!), but thankfully it was there at #1. Truly a fantastic movie.

I'm also a big fan of Crash, which made it in at #17. Other great movies were listed too.

The only movie on that list that I never saw that I'd like to see one day was Midnight Cowboy. I also never got around to seeing Taxi Driver...

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Feb 5 2011, 08:31 AM)
I found 'Crash' to be an attention-getter, too! I first saw it on HBO in the mid-80's and was totally taken by surprise.

one time I saw a double feature in a theater of Lost Highway and Crash. that was a memorable day. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 5 2011, 10:27 AM)
The only movie on that list that I never saw that I'd like to see one day was Midnight Cowboy.

I'm a big Dustin Hoffman fan, so I rented it. Not bad, but I don't think it's as fantastic as critics give it credit for. I also thought "Easy Rider" was just so-so.

I also never got around to seeing Taxi Driver...

Somehow, I haven't seen "Taxi Driver" either. Maybe I'll get around to correcting that this year.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 5 2011, 09:03 AM)
The only movie on that list that I never saw that I'd like to see one day was Midnight Cowboy.

I'm a big Dustin Hoffman fan, so I rented it. Not bad, but I don't think it's as fantastic as critics give it credit for. I also thought "Easy Rider" was just so-so.

Somehow, I haven't seen "Taxi Driver" either. Maybe I'll get around to correcting that this year.

Both movies seem like kind of downers, so I've never gone out of my way to see them.

I agree on Easy Rider - I like it, but I certainly don't love it. I like the soundtrack more than I do the movie.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 6 2011, 03:24 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 5 2011, 09:03 AM)

Both movies seem like kind of downers, so I've never gone out of my way to see them.

I agree on Easy Rider - I like it, but I certainly don't love it. I like the soundtrack more than I do the movie.

You guys are on acid. Easy Rider was a good trip. trink38.gif

And why haven't either one of you seen Taxi Driver yet?!! ohmy.gif

Actually I don't think you'd like it goobs based on various posts. I think you might think the violence was too sensationalized or something. [And 'no', I'm not f***ing with you]

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Feb 5 2011, 01:33 PM)
"you ever see what a .44 Magnum can do to a woman's p***y? Now that you should see!"

"you see the woman in the window? that's my wife. And you know who lives there? A n***er, a f***ing n***er lives there"

You really need to see Taxi Driver... these classic lines are delivered by Martin Scorcese himself.

Now I need to see a bunch of these.

I'm surprised Cannibal Holocaust wasn't further up, probably because it wasn't the film that was so controversial as the reception and repercussions. Anyhow, good picks (and I have seen the top five. I'm not sure I ought to be proud of that or not).

#1 should have been Submission produced by Theo van Gogh in cooperation with Ayaan Hirsi Ali. As far as I know, it's the only one that's cost its' producer his life (at the hands of a deranged Muslim).

I expected The Woodsman (2004, Kevin Bacon, Kyra Sedwick) to be on the list.

Very well made film, if you can handle it. Fairly graphic story about a pedophile trying to build a new life after prison. Not sure if it really caused huge uproars anywhere, though.