Thank you, Rush

Ardent15

For me, Rush was a gateway into a world of music that I didn't know existed.

Before I became a Rush fan, I listened to Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc. (and I still listen to those bands from time to time). Then, I went through a period where Rush was my favorite band, and after reading interviews with the guys in Rush about THEIR favorite bands, and doing more research and following up on recommendations, I started to listen to Yes, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Planet X, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc.

Now I'm big into jazz-rock fusion, like Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis' later stuff, Mahvishnu Orchestra, Dixie Dregs, etc. But there will always be a special place in my heart for the three goofy Canucks. cool.gif

that's the cool thing about music... it opens a whole universe and is, in and of itself, universal. may your road of musical discovery take you to places that you never would have gone otherwise. enjoy!

PS. I see no 'garbage' in any of the bands you have listed. lots of great talent there, as a matter of fact smile.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 29 2011, 10:15 AM)
Why are people always such dicks about their personal tastes? wtf.gif

I was assuming, given the obvious talents of the bands named by the OP, that the "garbage" comment was sarcasm (albeit not labeled as such).

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jan 29 2011, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 29 2011, 10:15 AM)
Why are people always such dicks about their personal tastes? wtf.gif

I was assuming, given the obvious talents of the bands named by the OP, that the "garbage" comment was sarcasm (albeit not labeled as such).

I'm being oversensitive, then, and perceiving what it should be obvious is sarcasm instead as a needless putdown of someone's pleasure?

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jan 29 2011, 06:07 PM)
Sabbath ftw. Zeppelin and Metallica are meh, everything else you listed is class a material though!

Zep and Metallica, two of the greatest bands in history dismissed with a "meh". Amazing.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 29 2011, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (J0N @ Jan 29 2011, 10:53 AM)
"My music taste is better than yours, if you don't like my stuff then you're wrong, and also an idiot."

goodpost.gif

In the case of certain performers (NOT "musicians"), it could be well-argued that there's a great deal of fact in that statement.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 29 2011, 12:35 PM)
OP, if you like jazz fusion and progressive rock/metal, you should check out The Mars Volta and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's solo work. Frances The Mute and any of the solo albums is a good place to start.

goodpost.gif

I have 3 Mars Volta albums: Frances The Mute, De-Loused In The Comatorium, and Octahedron, and they are all great. At first, I didn't care for the lead singer's voice, but it grew on me.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 29 2011, 05:24 PM)
OP, if you like jazz fusion and progressive rock/metal, you should check out The Mars Volta and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's solo work. Frances The Mute and any of the solo albums is a good place to start.

goodpost.gif

I have 3 Mars Volta albums: Frances The Mute, De-Loused In The Comatorium, and Octahedron, and they are all great. At first, I didn't care for the lead singer's voice, but it grew on me.

I think that's a feeling a lot of people get at first, including me. But somehow it fits the music, IMO.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 29 2011, 03:24 PM)

goodpost.gif

i couldn't get past the vocals. a friend of mine lent me deloused one time, and the music was brilliant, but the vocals were like nails on a chalkboard to me. i saw them do a television performance one time, and it was brilliant until he started singing and that ruined it for me. sorry, i tried...

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 29 2011, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 29 2011, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (J0N @ Jan 29 2011, 10:53 AM)
"My music taste is better than yours, if you don't like my stuff then you're wrong, and also an idiot."

goodpost.gif

In the case of certain performers (NOT "musicians"), it could be well-argued that there's a great deal of fact in that statement.

I disagree. I think whatever music brings pleasure to an individual it is valid. Therefore, no one is right, wrong, or an idiot for liking something different to what someone else likes.

But heaven please, stop me from getting into the whole "arbiter of taste" argument!

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 29 2011, 04:00 PM)
I think whatever music brings pleasure to an individual it is valid. Therefore, no one is right, wrong, or an idiot for liking something different to what someone else likes.

I totally agree. I may pontificate long and loudly about my musical opinions, but at the end of the day everyone has to go home and enjoy what they enjoy. As long as they enjoy it, no harm done, and certainly no one is "wrong" for enjoying their music.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 29 2011, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 29 2011, 04:00 PM)
I think whatever music brings pleasure to an individual it is valid.  Therefore, no one is right, wrong, or an idiot for liking something different to what someone else likes.

I totally agree. I may pontificate long and loudly about my musical opinions, but at the end of the day everyone has to go home and enjoy what they enjoy. As long as they enjoy it, no harm done, and certainly no one is "wrong" for enjoying their music.

hug2.gif trink39.gif

Archived