WHAT IS GOING ON, RUSH IS ROLLING!! ??

got rush?

Die hard Rush fans have noticed Rush is Everywhere!

For the past year, Rush has done more than all the past years

combined!! Commercials, TV interviews, Stars on Hollywood,best Documentary

nominations and so much more. Does anyone get the feeling that this might

be the Beginning of something or the End of something??

Maybe going out with a BANG or just the band finally after

all these years, Getting the respect they have always deserved?

ANY THOUGHTS??

Truly #1 Fans, The Burns Fans from Baton Rouge

I honestly think it's them getting the recognition they deserve. If you look at how long they've been making music and touring, they've hardly been given a glance. It seems that, ever since the documentary, people are really paying more attention to them. Really makes me proud to be a fan. I don't think it's the end of something. The boys are still able to put out new material almost 40 years into their career and are still actively touring. That says something.

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Jan 10 2011, 12:58 AM)
Commercials? Where?

I will say, Colbert Report appearance was sweet. Cause I think Colbert's a badass too.

That AND they got the hand of coolness from Stephen himself. tongue.gif

I too would like to see these commercials. Didn't see it on first reading of the thread.

Edited by Oracle

It mainly has to do with longevity. The longer a band around for the more respect they gain. Especially when you've been doing it for over 35 years and you consistently put out great new music and perform live shows that are second to none.

Recognition and respect really grows out of that. If people keep hearing great things about them it peaks their interest and over time more and more people get into them. Having their share of big hits that get played on the radio regularly like TSOR, FW, CTTH, the first side of MP, Subdivisions, DEW, TSS, DL and RTB also helps to raise their awareness among music fans greatly.

They are also the only major arena rock act that I know of who does the 'evening with' concert format. If there is anyone else who currently does that i'm not aware of it. This also separates them from the rest of the pack and helps greatly to get people out the see them, since concert goers know they won't have to sit through an opening band or two that they don't care about anyways and they'll get to see music they enjoy for a full three hour show.

We can't forget the longevity of some of Rush's most diehard fans. There's fans who have been with them for decades and then they try and pass that onto their kids and new fans are made sometimes that way to.

There are so many factors as to why they've accumulated the fanbase they have and why they're getting the respect they do now. Hopefully I was able to cover most of it laugh.gif

i wonder if newer fans realize just how impossible it was to feel close to rush 20-30 years ago, outside of music. technology aside, they were just a more private band then they are today, neil withstanding.

all the dvd's and the documentary are such a great experience.

none of that was really prevalent back in the day...

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jan 10 2011, 05:09 PM)
i wonder if newer fans realize just how impossible it was to feel close to rush 20-30 years ago, outside of music. technology aside, they were just a more private band then they are today, neil withstanding.

Female fanbase has increased as well.

In the 80's I went to shows alone (yes really) or with a group of 6-8 guys.

The TRF meetup groups showed how much it's changed. There were around 40 or so at ours, and it was a pretty even male-female split.

(Though the bathroom lines at intermission demonstrated that male fans still outnumber the Rush chicks by a pretty big margin!)

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 10 2011, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jan 10 2011, 05:09 PM)
i wonder if newer fans realize just how impossible it was to feel close to rush 20-30 years ago, outside of music.  technology aside, they were just a more private band then they are today, neil withstanding.

The TRF meetup groups showed how much it's changed. There were around 40 or so at ours, and it was a pretty even male-female split.

(Though the bathroom lines at intermission demonstrated that male fans still outnumber the Rush chicks by a pretty big margin!)

That was a pleasant surprise to me this past August. tongue.gif

I ran out of there during intermission (ooorr was it afterwards?) and was shocked that I didn't have to wait a moment in the ladies' room. There were like five stalls open.

The men's room, on the other hand, had a line snaking out the door.

(I had one of those "finally! justice for the female gender!" moments and a quiet snicker to myself.)

I'm happy they're finally getting some of the publicity they deserve. Well, one could argue they were big back in the seventies and eighties, as I've heard, but I've also been exposing some of my friends to them. And y'know what? None of them have come back to me saying, "oh gawd Christine, you have terrible taste in music, never make me listen to that again".

Most of them just ask me for more Youtube links. 8D

And, like the boys themselves have said, some of their original fans are now the right age where, if they've made it big in the entertainment/media/advertising business, are able to promote Rush to a significant degree in their fields. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Jan 13 2011, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 10 2011, 10:31 PM)

laugh.gif That was me from '78 onwards ... though I wasn't complaining y'know ... It was kinda nice wink.gif

Last 3 shows I saw were solo...well, I actually met up with peeps, but I didn't have a husband/boyfriend or kid in tow. It was wonderful. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE taking my son to a Rush show, but going alone...ahhh, it is great sometimes! yes.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 10 2011, 05:31 PM)

Um....I was a bit young to go to concerts in the 80's, even though I would have LOVED it! ph34r.gif

And, I remember females being a MAJOR minority at my first concert back in 1997...and,even being in pretty low numbers at the VT tour.

I don't think I remember seeing very many females until the R30 tour. Hell, I STILL get a TON of attention being a chick at a Rush show! If I wasn't married, I'd probably have my pick, you know! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif In fact, I was standing next to my son and husband at the Salt Lake City show this last summer...and I STILL had guys all over me. wink.gif

Edited by Rushchick10

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 10 2011, 04:31 PM)

The girls are just at their seats holding the car keys.

And the piss break is two-fold. You drain all of that expensive beer from the first half of the show and refill at intermission for the second half.

And bring her back a water.

She's drivin'.

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jan 13 2011, 12:56 PM)
It's all good until the RUSH lunchboxes with the thermos are at the swag tables.

OMG I want one!!! Sorry! I'd use it as my purse yes.gif

And no.gif , I'm the one dragging my boyfriend to the show. I'm concerned about him just standing there while I (and everyone else) are singing and fist-pumping and air-guitaring and -drumming our heads off. At any rate, he doesn't drink, so I'm free to indulge at shows or whatever event we're at. It's awesome. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I suspect some of this phenomenom is that the Baby Boomers that grew up with them are reaching out seeking to relive some of their youth.

This has rubbed off on the younger generation.