Corniest Rush Video

Nate2112

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 3 2011, 08:21 PM)
I think you mean "horniest" video. At least it is for me whenever Aimee Mann is on screen wub.gif

:^|

Really?

Really?

I like her voice, and maybe it's just because I'm a girl and I don't swing that way, but.. yeahno.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 3 2011, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 3 2011, 08:21 PM)
I think you mean "horniest" video. At least it is for me whenever Aimee Mann is on screen  wub.gif

:^|

Really?

Really?

I like her voice, and maybe it's just because I'm a girl and I don't swing that way, but.. yeahno.

Oh yes... I was only 8 years old when that video was made, but I remember even then thinking she was attractive. She was famous back then for that "Voices Carry" song she did. She was even hotter in that video.

I love TSS. The first time I saw the video, I was like "What... the...f***." LMAO

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jan 3 2011, 11:56 PM)
There's a pretty basic rule you can follow: If it's not live, it's ass. Seriously...unless it's a live performance, it's pretty bad.

This. So true.

There are a couple music vids I think are okay, like "Afterimage" was pretty good, as was "The Pass", and I liked "The Body Electric" just because it was entertaining in that eighties kind of way.

But overall, they're one of those bands that is significantly better on stage than on camera. There are quite a few bands I know of that sound great on studio and have these great music videos, but live they're just not good at all! I mean, no wonder there are so many DVDs of Rush's performances out there. Seems like they always put on an epic show that all the music videos in the world couldn't compare to. I think it's more fun to watch even those low-quality bootlegs sometimes! xD

QUOTE (Scars @ Jan 2 2011, 01:52 PM)
When I read the thread title, I immediately thought of "Time Stand Still."

Thanks to the link, today was the first time I saw the "Superconductor" video. It's not nearly as bad as TSS (but at least TSS is an amazing song, SC is so-so), but I just don't get what's supposed to be happening?! A man (I'm guessing the "Superconductor" eyesre4.gif ) is just pushing buttons which intersperses Rush with a bunch of random "got talent" shit? And for some reason the crowd goes from cheering to waving to upset (but yet completely out-of-sync with the performances and the music). Augh it's mindblowing how someone thought they were doing something worthy of being played.

plus Ged and Al are on the wrong sides of the stage. The whole thing is just wrong.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 4 2011, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (Scars @ Jan 2 2011, 01:52 PM)
When I read the thread title, I immediately thought of "Time Stand Still."

Thanks to the link, today was the first time I saw the "Superconductor" video. It's not nearly as bad as TSS (but at least TSS is an amazing song, SC is so-so), but I just don't get what's supposed to be happening?! A man (I'm guessing the "Superconductor" eyesre4.gif ) is just pushing buttons which intersperses Rush with a bunch of random "got talent" shit? And for some reason the crowd goes from cheering to waving to upset (but yet completely out-of-sync with the performances and the music). Augh it's mindblowing how someone thought they were doing something worthy of being played.

plus Ged and Al are on the wrong sides of the stage. The whole thing is just wrong.

didnt notice laugh.gif

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 4 2011, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE (Derxst @ Jan 4 2011, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jan 2 2011, 02:56 PM)
Dude right on with Circumstancal Tree! Watch this!

http://www.mtv.com/videos/rush/9876/superconductor.jhtml

Superconductor video is far worse than Time Stand Still.

No, it's not. It just seems like it because Superconductor is a much worse song than TSS.

agreed. The video for TSS is far worse, despite the fact that Ged and Alex are switched. At least they aren't flying around.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 4 2011, 05:37 PM)
There's a pretty basic rule you can follow: If it's not live, it's ass.  Seriously...unless it's a live performance, it's pretty bad.

This. So true.

There are a couple music vids I think are okay, like "Afterimage" was pretty good, as was "The Pass", and I liked "The Body Electric" just because it was entertaining in that eighties kind of way.

But overall, they're one of those bands that is significantly better on stage than on camera. There are quite a few bands I know of that sound great on studio and have these great music videos, but live they're just not good at all! I mean, no wonder there are so many DVDs of Rush's performances out there. Seems like they always put on an epic show that all the music videos in the world couldn't compare to. I think it's more fun to watch even those low-quality bootlegs sometimes! xD

you guys must not have grown up in the mid 80s-mid 90s when music videos were all the rage. In fact I think we cared more about the videos than the songs themselves.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 4 2011, 09:06 PM)
you guys must not have grown up in the mid 80s-mid 90s when music videos were all the rage. In fact I think we cared more about the videos than the songs themselves.

yes.gif When I watched MTV as a kid, I'd lose interest if the video was nothing but live performance by the band. Had to have at least some conceptual stuff in there. Now, of course, my taste has changed, but maybe Rush concerts have the appeal they do because the mix of live performance and the background videos are triggering positive memories (well, the band is just a tad fabulous, too).

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 4 2011, 08:06 PM)

You could argue I'm still growing up. o3o

But for the sake of the thread I lived most of my "socially aware" years in the 2000's, yes.

And by the time I was a teenager they'd moved all the music videos from MTV to MTV2... and then they stopped showing MTV2 and... yeah. That was pretty much the end of that.

Even then, though, most of the music videos they showed were of guys in lots of bling and women in reeeeeeeally skimpy clothing. I learned to be content with the audio files and spare my eyes for the computer and my books.

I can't beleive nobody mentioned Distant Early Warning yet! GREAT song...HORRID video. I just can't get past the kid riding that missile...so...CHEESEY LOOKING! ph34r.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jan 5 2011, 04:01 PM)
I can't beleive nobody mentioned Distant Early Warning yet! GREAT song...HORRID video. I just can't get past the kid riding that missile...so...CHEESEY LOOKING! ph34r.gif

isn't that Geddy's son?

My vote HAS to go with "The Body Electric." Love the song to small bits but the video makes me cringe.

That hilarious "Time Stand Still (Literal Video)" that was posted earlier worked some magic yesterday. xD

So I was chatting with my online friend Twiggi and we were exchanging funny videos. I sent her that one and she said she was practically dying of laughter. (But then again, so was I! x3) Later, of course, we got on the subject of awesome musicians and I gave her a video of Neil playing his R30 solo. I said, "You know, that's the same guy from that funny video I showed you earlier" and she was SHOCKED -- but impressed beyond belief!

That led to showing her a couple more videos (La Villa and Xanadu) and last night she was made a Rush fan. Pretty sure it was when she saw Geddy doing the foot pedals, singing, and playing bass all at the same time on Xanadu. It was fantastic. |3

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 4 2011, 05:37 PM)
There's a pretty basic rule you can follow: If it's not live, it's ass.  Seriously...unless it's a live performance, it's pretty bad.

This. So true.

I think

is the best video they have. With that one the message of the song is genuinely portrayed in its video counterpart. Also, The Body Electric at least has a storyline somewhat close to the song's lyrics and setting.

popcorn.gif

For such great musical soundscapes and deep lyrical themes, why are almost all Rush videos cheesy, strange, corny, or embarassing? These are how I see things in my mind's eye on many Rush songs:

Red Sector A

Manhattan Project

Subdivisions

Or even something homegrown but fitting as

But nooooo, while we get vintage wine with the studio songs, we get cheap sliced cheese for their videos.

Still, I did get a good couple laughs out the "literal" TSS video (props to the stupid wall and the pillar not holding anything up).

Archived