Best Genre Of Metal

Nate2112

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (the oaks @ Dec 31 2010, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 31 2010, 07:36 PM)
Anything but Black/Death.  Love the musicianship, but it's RUINED by that ridiculous growling.  Can't stand not being able to understand lyrics.

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

I'd love to get into Opeth, but I can't take the Cookie Monster vocals. Apparently they are going to switch to clean vocals in the future, so maybe then.

Nearly half of their vocals are "clean". It's well worth the growling to get to MA's fantastic clean voice. Plus, the growl adds to the ambiance of the music.

To answer the question though, PROGRESSIVE METAL (in all forms) is my favorite.

Back when I was younger I would've went with thrash 'cuz I was all about the fastest heaviest shit, now that I'm older doom is my favorite metal. It's kinda weird, but I find much of the slow stuff is a lot heavier than thrash- if you know what I mean. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jul 30 2012, 02:46 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 30 2012, 02:25 AM)
Leprechaun metal!

joker.gif

1022.gif

You have my attention.

They tend to dress in green, they're usually shorter than 5 feet, hair is often reddish, most of them are Irish. They often bring in a celtic feel to their brand of more traditional prog metal.

Leprechaun metal is kind of like cross between Dio-era Rainbow, 70s-era Rush with a celtic nursery rhyme kind of vibe as well. They sing about Rainbows and gold and dark forests and sword-wielding black knights and dragons.

biggrin.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jul 29 2012, 10:48 PM)
Back when I was younger I would've went with thrash 'cuz I was all about the fastest heaviest shit, now that I'm older doom is my favorite metal. It's kinda weird, but I find much of the slow stuff is a lot heavier than thrash- if you know what I mean. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

yeah unfortunately many people think speed = heaviness but heaviness really has nothing to do with that

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 30 2012, 06:31 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jul 29 2012, 10:48 PM)
Back when I was younger I would've went with thrash 'cuz I was all about the fastest heaviest shit, now that I'm older doom is my favorite metal. It's kinda weird, but I find much of the slow stuff is a lot heavier than thrash- if you know what I mean. 1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

yeah unfortunately many people think speed = heaviness but heaviness really has nothing to do with that

yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 30 2012, 03:57 AM)
Leprechaun metal is kind of like cross between Dio-era Rainbow, 70s-era Rush with a celtic nursery rhyme kind of vibe as well. They sing about Rainbows and gold and dark forests and sword-wielding black knights and dragons.

biggrin.gif  1022.gif

So, basically, the first 3 Rainbow albums, Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, and RJD's solo catalog?

NWOBHM. After that.....thrash, doom, sludge, stoner metal, and any combination of the lot. Not too big on black metal, but there's a few bands I really dig like Toxic Holocaust, Nachtmystium, and Skeletonwitch that have black metal elements. Power metal is my least favorite.

Big fan of the alkaline earth metals. Magnesium puts off this really bright white light when it burns. You can buy some ribbon on eBay pretty cheap and it's really a lot of fun. I'm also a big fan of titanium which is very strong and useful. Gallium is fun to play with because it's melting point is between room and body temperature so you can melt it in your hand and roll it around and stuff. A pretty good prank is to buy a spoon mold and make a gallium spoon for your friends (or wife!) to use during dinner. It just melts all over the food and in their hand. So yeah, gallium is tons of fun. I could go on, and on, and on...