Snakes & Arrows 180 Gram LP

robertrobyn

QUOTE (robertrobyn @ Dec 25 2010, 03:24 PM)
I got the Snakes & Arrows 180Gram LP for X-mas. All I can say is WOW!!!!

Oh, haven't you heard, "Snakes & Arrows" is a terrible album. Supposedly, it's a fact.

Congrats. I love that album and even though I don't get the whole LP thing, that sounds like a cool present.

I aint a huge fan of S&A but I dont hate it either. What I do know is vinyl makes music sound better so maybe that wouldnt be so bad to own. Heck, I'd take it anyday so....

You rock on robertrobyn, and play it loud.

P.S., I'm waiting for Rush to re-release Moving Pictures on vinyl again, especially since it's kinda semi-popular again-ish.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Dec 25 2010, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (robertrobyn @ Dec 25 2010, 03:24 PM)
I got the Snakes & Arrows 180Gram LP for X-mas. All I can say is WOW!!!!

Oh, haven't you heard, "Snakes & Arrows" is a terrible album. Supposedly, it's a fact.

Congrats. I love that album and even though I don't get the whole LP thing, that sounds like a cool present.

I always have to ask when somebody doesn't get the whole LP thing...

I don't know but have you heard a proper vinyl setup through a 2 channel stereo system with big freaking speakers and lots of watts for headroom and clarity that move the air in the room around you?

if you have, I don't understand

If you haven't, you don't understand

Really Snakes and Arrows on Vinyl sounds great but it sounds the same as the CD because the mix and master is the same over compressed for the digital age. Music recorded to be pressed to vinyl sounds best on a turntable setup as mentioned above. Sound is more the a measure of volume, its also the movement of air and a real setup does that.

I apologize, no soap box was intended in this post

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Dec 26 2010, 05:58 AM)
I aint a huge fan of S&A but I dont hate it either. What I do know is vinyl makes music sound better so maybe that wouldnt be so bad to own. Heck, I'd take it anyday so....

P.S., I'm waiting for Rush to re-release Moving Pictures on vinyl again, especially since it's kinda semi-popular again-ish.

I would like to see test for echo come out on vinyl....

dang!....can't they at least do a 5000 copy run like the others?

QUOTE (spok @ Dec 26 2010, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Dec 26 2010, 05:58 AM)

I would like to see test for echo come out on vinyl....

dang!....can't they at least do a 5000 copy run like the others?

That would be fantastic! The ones I need Rush-wise are VT and mint first pressings of FBN, CoS, 2112 & MP to upgrade my current copies. The rest I have in mint condition.

Happy for you!!! Congrats!

Actually, I just listened to S&A on vinyl the other day. MalNar nearly blew me through the walls! (Reach for the volume on that track!)

Then I spun HYF, FBN, 2112, CP (Russian pressing), PeW and some 45rpm singles. Then some Iron Maiden, Billy Thorpe, KISS, Ted Nugent, Pink Floyd, Styx, Slayer, and Napalm Death.

Ah, the joy of ANALOG!!!!!

IMO, nothing soundwise compares to the quality of fine vinyl. It blows digital away. Because.....you can FEEL the vibes from vinyl, not from digital.

(Ok...start that argument now......)

I had it plus everything else and had to sell over the summer, hopefully the new owner (who checks in on here occasionally) is enjoying the crap out of it.

Glad you are enjoying it!

QUOTE (Kozmo4Rush @ Dec 27 2010, 09:04 AM)

IMO, nothing soundwise compares to the quality of fine vinyl. It blows digital away. Because.....you can FEEL the vibes from vinyl, not from digital.

Oh yeah, I agree about the vibes. I recently became re-aquainted in 2010 with vinyl again after growing listening to LP's and I'm lovin' it awesomely.

QUOTE (Kozmo4Rush @ Dec 27 2010, 09:04 AM)
Happy for you!!! Congrats!

Actually, I just listened to S&A on vinyl the other day. MalNar nearly blew me through the walls! (Reach for the volume on that track!)

Then I spun HYF, FBN, 2112, CP (Russian pressing), PeW and some 45rpm singles. Then some Iron Maiden, Billy Thorpe, KISS, Ted Nugent, Pink Floyd, Styx, Slayer, and Napalm Death.

Ah, the joy of ANALOG!!!!!

(Ok...start that argument now......)

goodpost.gif

Analog forever! 1022.gif

Vynil is cool...too bad none of the record players in the house work anymore.

On another note, I found a golden CD remaster of Permanent Waves (5000 CD run). I bought it and it's still in the packaging. Here's hoping it'll be worth something like the 2112 and Moving Pictures versions.

An LP does not have a wider dynamic range than a CD. CDs are not compressed, the music was compressed in the mastering process. If it wasn't for the stupidity of wanting the average level so high, you could put out an album with enough dynamic range that many turntables would skip, but it would play fine on a CD player.

Sometimes an LP will sound warmer, but this is distortion or a different master. If a CD and an LP are sourced from the same master tape, with the exception of the rumble and clicks and pops, the sound of the two should be very similar.

The comments about moving air are laughable. All sound reproduction is about moving air. Some do it more faithfully to the source than others. Massive systems 'moving lots' of air are fun, but many such systems are not very accurate.

I suppose it's tomato, toma-to.

To me, vinyl is a lot more fun. However, if an album isn't available on vinyl, or if I already own it on cd, I'm not going to pay money to buy it again. I could be spending that money on 'new music', rather than rebuying the same thing I already have.

An exception goes to those albums that have a great remastering. However, why fix it when it's not broken?

QUOTE (Grover @ Dec 31 2010, 09:55 AM)
An LP does not have a wider dynamic range than a CD. CDs are not compressed, the music was compressed in the mastering process. If it wasn't for the stupidity of wanting the average level so high, you could put out an album with enough dynamic range that many turntables would skip, but it would play fine on a CD player.

Sometimes an LP will sound warmer, but this is distortion or a different master. If a CD and an LP are sourced from the same master tape, with the exception of the rumble and clicks and pops, the sound of the two should be very similar.

The comments about moving air are laughable. All sound reproduction is about moving air. Some do it more faithfully to the source than others. Massive systems 'moving lots' of air are fun, but many such systems are not very accurate.

goodpost.gif Absolutely right! Great first post smile.gif

Archived