Middletown Dreams

That One Guy

Great album... but I think "Middletown Dreams" is the weakest track on it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 4 2010, 02:08 AM)
Great album... but I think "Middletown Dreams" is the weakest track on it.

I guess you forgot Big Money biggrin.gif

"Big Money goes around the world " Horrible song, and the video is worse 062802puke_prv.gif

Mid eighties Rush in top form.

The music on Power Windows was about the freshest music I'd heard in a long time when it came out. Still sounds fantastic to this day.

To me, Rush were waaaayyy ahead of the curve with Power Windows.

It was as advanced of an album that one could have been in 1985 and it was like a bookend with the first Rush album and everything else in between. For me Rush > Power Windows is my desert island collection.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Dec 4 2010, 08:16 PM)

The music on Power Windows was about the freshest music I'd heard in a long time when it came out. Still sounds fantastic to this day.

It was as advanced of an album that one could have been in 1985 and it was like a bookend with the first Rush album and everything else in between. For me Rush > Power Windows is my desert island collection.

I tend to agree with ya there also. Back when Power Windows came out, I had just gotten my new Rush13 license plates on my '83 RX-7. I spent many a night and day riding the roads and blasting the tunes loudly back then, proudly representing what I felt was, and would be, the greatest band ever. wub.gif

I still have those plates on that same car, and even though it's not my main vehicle to drive anymore, I drive it every now and then with the Rush tunes playing loudly, just to keep that feeling going. cool.gif

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Dec 3 2010, 11:02 PM)
Rocks. And the rest of Power Windows too. Been playing the album back to back a lot lately. Good stuff. That is all.

great observation my friend trink39.gif

Its my favorite although Moving Pictures and Counterparts sometimes flirt with the top spot with me ... I always go back to Power Windows,,, I never get tired of Marathon my fav

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 4 2010, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Dec 4 2010, 08:16 PM)

I tend to agree with ya there also. Back when Power Windows came out, I had just gotten my new Rush13 license plates on my '83 RX-7. I spent many a night and day riding the roads and blasting the tunes loudly back then, proudly representing what I felt was, and would be, the greatest band ever. wub.gif

I still have those plates on that same car, and even though it's not my main vehicle to drive anymore, I drive it every now and then with the Rush tunes playing loudly, just to keep that feeling going. cool.gif

thats cool that the car has held up all these years, gotta love those rotary engines, My buddy had a 80s style yellow on when i was in high school, sweet older car, i want an rx8 or a mx5 someday

Yes, Power Windows is brilliant album. Sadly when I bought it first I used to listen to it very much, especially Middletown Dreams, that was my favorite track on it. That's why I can't listen to it so often anymore. But that, and the other tracks are all very great although I find Emotion Detector, Grand Designs and Marathon the best.

MD is a good song, one that I'm not so sick of hearing.

When I listen to PoW and take it for what it is, I like it alot. But when I compare it to other Rush albums, for me it is somewhere in the middle of the pack. As a matter of fact, I like it less than any album that came before it, but I like it more than any album that came after it.

I used to not like PW much because of the sterile totally-80s overproduction and the annoying "Geddy sounds like he's singing in a trash can" echo on his voice that sucks the warmth and humanity out of the songs.

That being said, the muddy, overdistorted, too many layers of guitar, and non-existant melody of most of the past two albums make me apprecitate it much more now.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 19 2010, 12:27 PM)
i like this tune and think they should bring it back from the dead. they probably won't though and continue to beat the others to death.

Alex doesn't care for the middle '80s Rush that much because of his diminished guitar role and the band as a whole doesn't care for playing much PW/HYF material because of all the keyboard/samples/triggers that they have to do.

Although modern technology has made playing those busy complicated songs much easier now.

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Dec 3 2010, 10:02 PM)
Rocks. And the rest of Power Windows too. Been playing the album back to back a lot lately. Good stuff. That is all.

I like it too. It's not one of those albums that has stood the test of time well though. It sounds very 80s and very cheesy. Unlike something like MP or 2112, which still somehow sound somewhat modern.

Anything with heavy keys and overly melodic vocals or grand music doesnt fit into anything going on today, I think this is why most average rock fans still think 2112 sound great. Its sort of heavy at times, not too many keys, so it works for them.

But ill always love this album. Great bass and drum work on it. Its the kind of album only rush fans could love.

QUOTE (trenken @ Dec 19 2010, 06:38 PM)

I like it too. It's not one of those albums that has stood the test of time well though. It sounds very 80s and very cheesy. Unlike something like MP or 2112, which still somehow sound somewhat modern.

Anything with heavy keys and overly melodic vocals or grand music doesnt fit into anything going on today, I think this is why most average rock fans still think 2112 sound great. Its sort of heavy at times, not too many keys, so it works for them.

But ill always love this album. Great bass and drum work on it. Its the kind of album only rush fans could love.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Dec 20 2010, 07:38 AM)

What he said.

I do like MD after seeing the bass cover by a member on here.

The bass line is great in MD, same with most of PW.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Dec 19 2010, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 19 2010, 12:27 PM)
i like this tune and think they should bring it back from the dead.  they probably won't though and continue to beat the others to death.

Alex doesn't care for the middle '80s Rush that much because of his diminished guitar role and the band as a whole doesn't care for playing much PW/HYF material because of all the keyboard/samples/triggers that they have to do.

Although modern technology has made playing those busy complicated songs much easier now.

but they played marathon so confused13.gif

Archived