"And Justice For All" Drummers! I Love That Lars

RUSHHEAD666

Calling all drummers and all Metallica Fans!

Cranking "And Justice For All" tonight. This record never gets old. Well "One" does thanks to MTV back in the day but it is a masterpiece.

I know there are a lot of you on here who love the "Black Album" but for my ears it's just a corporate whore pop rock record.

They made their money though. Good for them.

I will never forget (and I have mentioned this before on here before) but I remember Lars saying in an interview that the band had to "DE-RUSH" themselves after "And Justice For All."

Too bad I say, but man "AJFA" truly is a progressive metal masterpiece.

Ironically I've ripped on this album in the past for not being able to really hear Newsted's bass chops, yet still at the end of the day the record fukking ROCKS.

I love the Japanese pressing of this album with the bonus track "The Prince."

I know it's available now on other formats, but back in the DAY it was cool to have.

Just for the record, "Death Magnetic" is their best album since "And Justice For All."

Damn I love the way the drums sound on this album.

The bass drums want to punch a fukking hole through my "Blackened" heart!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif heart.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 17 2010, 01:57 AM)
I heard a rumor decades ago that Lars didn't even know how to play the drums when he started up in METALLICA.
He learned as he went along.

Is this true??????

I don't know.

To me Lars Ulrich seems to be the only musician* who has continually gotten worse throughout his career.

*Yes, I know drummers aren't really musicians

QUOTE (Jean Simmons @ Nov 17 2010, 06:16 AM)

*Yes, I know drummers aren't really musicians

moon.gif

Great album but there is no bass and that for me makes it fall short. Don't think that I would call it a masterpiece though. I have to agree that I never really thought Lars was the best drummer. I have seen them four times from 86-91 and it seems as though he always had trouble with his time.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Nov 17 2010, 08:30 AM)
Great album but there is no bass and that for me makes it fall short.

I agree and they should have fixed it years ago. I think Lars prime was Master Of Puppets . Great drumming on it . Pretty much went down hill since the Black album

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 17 2010, 12:59 AM)
Calling all drummers and all Metallica Fans!

Cranking "And Justice For All" tonight.  This record never gets old.  Well "One" does thanks to MTV back in the day but it is a masterpiece.

I still run to this album on a regular basis... It is still good...

I know there are a lot of you on here who love the "Black Album" but for my ears it's just a corporate whore pop rock record.

Awesome production, and the last 'classic' Metallica record. It good!

Ironically I've ripped on this album in the past for not being able to really hear Newsted's bass chops, yet still at the end of the day the record fukking ROCKS.

They have already said they turned Jason's bass all the way down ON PURPOSE as a joke on 'the new guy'... Sadly, it is that way production-wise. Agreed on its rawkness.

I love the Japanese pressing of this album with the bonus track "The Prince."

Also on 'Harvester of Sorrow' single along with 'Breadfan'...

Just for the record, "Death Magnetic" is their best album since "And Justice For All."

Good Lord, the production on DM has more clipping than Vapor Trails. A sonic turd. FAIL!!!! Even though Lars the Munchkin will tell you 'that's how records are made today, so too bad! What a loser... (although some of the songs are pretty good...)

Damn I love the way the drums sound on this album.

No argument there.

Reply in bold italics...

QUOTE (Ultra @ Nov 17 2010, 01:27 AM)
As much as I enjoy AJFA, I just can't agree that Lars is a good drummer. I'm a fan of everything before the Black album, which I also find very mediocre for Metallica, but Lars is just terrible.

Saw them live a couple of year ago for the first time. I was completely underwhelmed by Lars' playing. He couldn't keep time through half the songs, to the point of distraction.

I think Lars' drumming is better than his worst critics. But admitedly I'm no drummer. Granted, he's not Gavin Harrison, but how many truly are? I guess Ulrich does Metallica very well to me....truly good or not. Likewise Hammett isn't the best lead player ever either, but his sound and style works for that band. There are tons of better lead players though.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 17 2010, 10:59 AM)
I think Lars' drumming is better than his worst critics. But admitedly I'm no drummer. Granted, he's not Gavin Harrison, but how many truly are? I guess Ulrich does Metallica very well to me....truly good or not. Likewise Hammett isn't the best lead player ever either, but his sound and style works for that band. There are tons of better lead players though.

I like a lot of Metallica's studio work just fine. And I agree that Lars has gotten some unwarranted criticism because of the whole Napster thing. However, the show I saw was a complete mess, drumming wise. I don't exaggerate when I say he couldn't keep time. He was all over the place and the drumming during the intro to Welcome Home (one of my favorite Metallica songs) was a complete and total disaster. Nowhere near the, almost-genius, syncopation that he captures on Master of Puppets.

Napster has Nothing to do with the fact that he does not care anymore. He was great on Master and IJFA . You know why it stopped ? Money, Booze, Money , Coke , Money ,Girls . Back in 1987 he took drum lessons because he said he wanted to play better . Once they became the Huge thing they are, he stopped the lessons and stopped the practice . He is just one of those guys that is worth 100 million dollars and just does not give a toss what we think . I will say his ego is very much in check these days. My wife and i met the band in N.Y. last year and he was as sweet as pie. I will say even in the 80's he was no match for Dave Lombardo biggrin.gif

I've seen Metallica live 6 times since 1992 and have never noticed the timing issues everyone says Lars has. He's by no means a great drummer but he's good enough at the job he does.

The drumming is solid on AJFA but drumming isn't the reason I listen to Metallica and it's certainly not what I take notice of while listening to them. The guitar has always been what stands out to me about them. I think James is one of the best rhythm guitarist ever and he's come up with a lot of classic riffs, especially on the first four albums.

Kirk is in the same boat as Lars with me. He's decent enough at what he does and plays off James very well but ultimately I don't feel he brings all that much to the table musically. James is where the majority of the musical talent is with this band. On the first three albums he shared that with Cliff but since he died it's pretty much all James when it comes to overall talent.

I saw Metallica play everytime I could from 1986 until 1992, as after the Black Album it turned into 'New Metallica Bad'...

Lars was a notoriously lazy live drummer... Leaving of double bass licks and such. Saw it right in front of my face! Granted, I have also seen him right on the marks.

As mentioned in this very thread, he fits what they play quite well and certainly does not claim to be a virtuoso player. I would say the pinnacle of his playing skill was shown on 'Master' as there is some very good and creative play on it...

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 17 2010, 01:04 PM)
I've seen Metallica live 6 times since 1992 and have never noticed the timing issues everyone says Lars has. He's by no means a great drummer but he's good enough at the job he does.

Kirk is in the same boat as Lars with me. He's decent enough at what he does and plays off James very well but ultimately I don't feel he brings all that much to the table musically. James is where the majority of the musical talent is with this band. On the first three albums he shared that with Cliff but since he died it's pretty much all James when it comes to overall talent.

I totally agree about Lars' drumming. Its en vouge to bash Lars anymore, but I've seen Metallica 5 times ('88-'98) and his timing was never an issue--and I notice that stuff immediately. Yeah, a lot of his parts are punched in, in the studio but it works. He's not all that bad, and he is somewhat unique.

As far as Kirk, he kinda stopped in his progression, but he is still freaking killer. He TOTALLY has contributed to the Metallica sound, and for the better.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Nov 17 2010, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 17 2010, 01:04 PM)

I totally agree about Lars' drumming. Its en vouge to bash Lars anymore, but I've seen Metallica 5 times ('88-'98) and his timing was never an issue--and I notice that stuff immediately. Yeah, a lot of his parts are punched in, in the studio but it works. He's not all that bad, and he is somewhat unique.

As far as Kirk, he kinda stopped in his progression, but he is still freaking killer. He TOTALLY has contributed to the Metallica sound, and for the better.

Strangely enough I came across a Metallica cd bootleg on Metal Memory.

Metal Memory is a quality bootleg label as they have a Rush boot too.

Anyway it's very strange. It's a "Master Of Puppets" bootleg with Newsted on the bass.

Is this true? Did Jason tour with Metallica on the "Master Of Puppets" Tour before recording "And Justice For All?"

Not sure to be honest.

It's an excellent recording but it's true. The music is great but Lars fukks up all the time and he sounds very sloppy.

His timing truly is out of whack. He should join a country band or something because odd time signatures certainly doesn't stack up to his talent level.

I find it totally ironic that Lars is so easy to rip apart yet the short prick thinks that he's God's Greatest Gift.......

GARBAGE!

How's that for an alliteration?

Fukk Lars Uldick.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 18 2010, 02:17 AM)
Anyway it's very strange. It's a "Master Of Puppets" bootleg with Newsted on the bass.

Is this true? Did Jason tour with Metallica on the "Master Of Puppets" Tour before recording "And Justice For All?"

Yeah, Jason toured on the MOP Tour. Cliff died Sept. 27 and Jason was touring with them by November. No Remorse, No Repent, We Don't Care, What Cliff Meant! No, they had a lot of world dominatin' to do, and they got the right guy with Newstead, IMO.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Nov 19 2010, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 18 2010, 02:17 AM)
Anyway it's very strange.  It's a "Master Of Puppets" bootleg with Newsted on the bass.

Is this true?  Did Jason tour with Metallica on the "Master Of Puppets" Tour before recording "And Justice For All?"

Yeah, Jason toured on the MOP Tour. Cliff died Sept. 27 and Jason was touring with them by November. No Remorse, No Repent, We Don't Care, What Cliff Meant! No, they had a lot of world dominatin' to do, and they got the right guy with Newstead, IMO.

Cool! Thanks for the info! Newsted did the job but he sure as hell was no CLIFF BURTON! R.I.P.

"CLIFF 'EM ALL!"

I've been listening to AJFA for 22 years now so I love it for what it is. It is dissapointing in the bass dept., especially considering the $5.98 EP was chock full 'o bass, almost too much and then NONE on this album.

But ya know, I like it when bands sound different on albums production-wise instead of the same sound on each album. I dont like structural changes unless it's minor but I welcome changes in production somewhat..

Lars could play fast. Period. No real inventive playing, just fast. The worst snare sound ever, sounds like a wet piece of paper. Probably the most overrated drummer to pound the skins.

AJFA is a great album that is much much better than the sum of it's parts.

Sincerely,

"Dear mother dear father, what is this hell you put me through?"

Archived