Steven Wright

Lost In Xanadu

... I stayed in a hotel that had a swimming pool on the 17th floor...

...can't believe how deep it was.

...Bought some batteries, but they weren't included. So, I had to buy them again...

laugh.gif Funny guy, always sounds like he just woke up.

I'm gonna get a tattoo of my face. On my face.

I wrote a song, but I can't read music so I don't know what it is. Every once in a while I'll be listening to the radio and I say, "I think I might have written that."

I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

Dude was hilarious but it's been so long since he's been around on tv or anything I seriously thought he was dead.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"What happens if you get scared half to death twice?"

"I saw a sign: Rest Area 25 Miles. That's pretty big. A lot of people must get tired around here".

He has so many great funny lines. I hadn't heard anything from him in a long time. It's good to know he's still touring.

It doesn't matter what temperature a room is; it's always room temperature.

I took my dog for a walk....to Florida and back. We got back home and I said "There. You're DONE."

I have an answering machine in my car. It says, I'm home now. But leave a message and I'll call when I'm out.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

He's OK...the deep, slow talking schtick gets to be a bit much for me. At times, I can barely understand what he's saying. He also makes me want to take a nap.

Steven Wright is HILARIOUS...

I saw him on Conan O'Brien a few years back, and Conan asked him if he had anything he wanted to promote while he was there, like a new CD or something. So, Steven Wright pulls out a Pearl Jam CD, and says, "This new CD is great. Go out and buy it." laugh.gif

Another one of my favorite Steven Wright quotes:

"I like to fill my tub up with water, then turn the shower on and act like I'm in a submarine that's been hit" laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 21 2010, 09:48 PM)
If you like Mitch Hedberg (RIP, Mitch) and you've not heard Steven Wright, you'll probably dig him. Mitch was kind of the spiritual successor of Wright's deadpan one-liner style.

I always thought Mitch Hedberg was the Rock N Roll/Stoner version of Steven Wright. Mitch's jokes I think were more random to. With Mitch you always got the feeling he just came from a really good party or rock show before his set. Steven on the other hand like someone already mentioned, sounds like he just woke up.

They're similar in their one liner joke style but different in stage personas. They both have great material though.

Has anyone ever seen the movie 'Half Baked' with Dave Chappelle? Steven Wright had a bit part in that. He was know as "the guy on the couch." He was roomates with one of the main characters but all he did was lay on the couch with a blanket on and sleep. It's funny because that's exactly what you think he would be doing all day after seeing his standup act laugh.gif

He was terrific in the 1980s, which I think was a great time for stand-up. (After that, everyone came to think they could do it.)

I'll agree, though, with those who think his delivery gets a little boring after awhile. With that droll monotone on every one-liner, his act never BUILDS to anything. But almost all of those one-liners are hits!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 22 2010, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 21 2010, 09:48 PM)
If you like Mitch Hedberg (RIP, Mitch) and you've not heard Steven Wright, you'll probably dig him. Mitch was kind of the spiritual successor of Wright's deadpan one-liner style.

I always thought Mitch Hedberg was the Rock N Roll/Stoner version of Steven Wright. Mitch's jokes I think were more random to. With Mitch you always got the feeling he just came from a really good party or rock show before his set. Steven on the other hand like someone already mentioned, sounds like he just woke up.

They're similar in their one liner joke style but different in stage personas. They both have great material though.

Has anyone ever seen the movie 'Half Baked' with Dave Chappelle? Steven Wright had a bit part in that. He was know as "the guy on the couch." He was roomates with one of the main characters but all he did was lay on the couch with a blanket on and sleep. It's funny because that's exactly what you think he would be doing all day after seeing his standup act laugh.gif

Exactly - he's not a copy of Wright, but coming up in the business after him, his style is simply a bit reminiscent of Wright's. Hedberg's delivery on his first CD (Strategic Grill Locations) is pretty different than his style on his third and final (Do You Believe in Gosh?). On the first, he's a bit more hesitant, a little more reserved. On the third, he's more energetic, more confident - a little more like the rock & roll stoner you described.

Archived