RUSH on American Morning/CNN

Rodmo

my ONLY complaint was I wish they had picked a different song in the intro to the story...Geds voice on Time Stand Still sounded...very very strained there.

the rest of it was great.

The full 25 minute un-edited version is up on rushisaband.

What caught me by surprise was that John Roberts touched on the " dark days " of Rush. Given that Neil avoids interviews for reasons such as these, I wasn't expecting Roberts to bring that up. And he stuck with it... asking Ged and Alex about it as well. Neil looked so horribly uncomfortable at that point, and who can blame him. He handled himself well though when Roberts was looking to continue the topic... politely interjecting with " on to happier subjects..... "

No wonder Neil avoids these types of interviews. Who can blame him?

This is an awesome interview from the best band that ever lived. Although I find interesting body language from Neil when Geddy mentions that the 'strange truth is'. Edited by Dax

QUOTE (Phantom @ Oct 4 2010, 04:38 PM)

What caught me by surprise was that John Roberts touched on the " dark days " of Rush. Given that Neil avoids interviews for reasons such as these, I wasn't expecting Roberts to bring that up. And he stuck with it... asking Ged and Alex about it as well. Neil looked so horribly uncomfortable at that point, and who can blame him. He handled himself well though when Roberts was looking to continue the topic... politely interjecting with " on to happier subjects..... "

Neil handled that like a champ.

Neil should do interviews more often (I'm not saying that he should attend all interviews with Alex and Geddy, but some more would be nice). He had so much to say, which was a shame, because he kept talking over Alex or Geddy.

All IMO.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Oct 4 2010, 03:10 PM)
Neil should do interviews more often (I'm not saying that he should attend all interviews with Alex and Geddy, but some more would be nice). He had so much to say, which was a shame, because he kept talking over Alex or Geddy.

All IMO.

Yeah he did interupt Alex and Ged a couple of times, but it was a really good interview.

Well, after watching that interview I will say this:

Neil Peart may not be too keen on doing interviews, but when he DOES do them you can't really shut the guy up! rofl3.gif

Maybe the whole "Neil is shy and doesn't like to do interviews" is just something Geddy and Al made up and internally they politely asked Neil not to do interviews anymore so they can get some words in.... cool.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 1 2010, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (HigherWater @ Sep 30 2010, 10:30 PM)
That may be the best, quick interview ever done with The Band. Neil adds so much. I wish it weren't so rare

No, no, it wasn't The Band, it was Rush biggrin.gif I can see how you might be confused, since they're both Canadian tongue.gif

Is this your FIRst DAy on a MessAge Bored. We KUt a LiTTle slacK here for missspels and Typoz.

HW rofl3.gif

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Oct 4 2010, 06:39 PM)
That may be the best, quick interview ever done with The Band. Neil adds so much. I wish it weren't so rare

No, no, it wasn't The Band, it was Rush biggrin.gif I can see how you might be confused, since they're both Canadian tongue.gif

Is this your FIRst DAy on a MessAge Bored. We KUt a LiTTle slacK here for missspels and Typoz.

HW rofl3.gif

My dear sir, I know not of what you speak. What, prey tell, is this "typo" to which you refer? I, good sir, speak only the Queen's English, as is befitting a gentleman of the first order.

Snarf!

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 4 2010, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (HigherWater @ Oct 4 2010, 06:39 PM)

HW rofl3.gif

My dear sir, I know not of what you speak. What, prey tell, is this "typo" to which you refer? I, good sir, speak only the Queen's English, as is befitting a gentleman of the first order.

Snarf!

z7shysterical.gif

I was trying to find an error, good sir, in your text; but by George it's perfect. Well done, chap! Your command of syntax and grammar are exquisite.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 30 2010, 09:04 PM)
I love these guys. I cant help but smile widely when I see them interviewed. They are the polar opposite of conceited. They are so humble, and honest and forthright, its hilarious. What true gentlemen. Thanks for posting the interview.

Also looks like the video guys were busy early smile.gif

What a RARE TREAT this was!!!!! yes.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif common001.gif And to think, I was fortunate enough to attend that Atlanta concert, too.......SWEET JOY!!!!!!!! common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

That may be the closest you ever get to seeing them a little tense with each other. Al and Ged were getting a little annoyed with Neil interrupting. If you watch the full 25 min version there is a point near the end where Ged keeps on making his point after Neil has interjected and ends up talking over him, whereas earlier in the piece he was making way for him.

I think it was partly nerves - you tend to speak too much in that frame of mind. But also I think when Roberts was concentrating on the period before Neil joined the band it was really inappropriate for Neil to interrupt on those answers.

Good job they get along so well after all these years but after it was over I wouldn't be surprised if they had a little go at him, jokingly - "will you shut the f**k up new guy!" - or something similar.

As for the questions on the "dark" period, Roberts should have left it after they spoke about being pleased that Neil wanted to play again. To then ask him again "that must have been such a difficult time for you" was really not on. He was lucky to get a jam with them after that!

Finally it was also a really interesting answer by Ged when asked about the limelight. Ged basically said a lot of the things that Neil's critics have a go at him for, i.e. it was my decision to seek fame so I have to take the rough with the smooth and most of the time people just want to say 'thank you' so that's ok. The sub-text seemed to be "I don't really agree with the way Neil handles it but I'm going to make sure I'm as agreeable as I can be because there is a certain obligation."

I also noticed that Geddy was starting to be a little annoyed at constantly being interrupted by the end (His face when he was interrupted once near the end shows he was unmistakenly annoyed). Since they NEVER give TV interviews with all three of them present (Last one must have been Colbert), I think Geddy was taken a bit by surprise to no longer be the official spokesman for the band. Neil seemed to me like the typical introverted guy who suddenly comes out of his shell and starts "nervous talking"... He has to butt in in every sentence... He seemed like he couldn't stand still for a second... I liked the interview the way it first aired on CNN, I got a completely different vibe watching the whole thing.... The look on JD's face when he rambled that "Wow, I can't believe how difficult it must have been" and being suddenly stopped by Neil telling him to move on to a happier subject and just sitting there going "Hmmm a more happier subject... " while trying to figure out what question to ask next when it's obvious the band were starting to feel really miserable was kinda spooky.... Like he had 10 more questions coming on the subject..... Really weird and uncomfortable moment. wtf.gif I'm actually surprised Neil continued his endless talking after that. I thought he would have closed up again. And as for the poster who was surprised he still got to jam with the band, maybe it happened beforehand.... 2.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 4 2010, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Oct 4 2010, 04:38 PM)

Neil handled that like a champ.

That.....is exactly why Neil doesn't do interviews. It was great up until that. It totally cast a dark vibe over the rest of the interview. unsure.gif

Due to a technical glitch John Roberts of CNN has asked the boys to re-record part of the interview....

JR: So going back to the formative years.....after the first album was it always clear to you that a new impetus was needed?

NP: Yes I think so. We felt that it would be too easy to become a Led Zep clone.....

GL/AL: We!?

NP: ......and of course with a new lyricist there is always that fresh injection of creativity.

JR: Um, yes. So, Alex, what was the effect on your playing of.....

NP: I think Alex became a more imaginative guitarist.

AL: (I'm imagining how I would have answered that question......)

NP: ......and Geddy certainly had to change his vocal style to get around my verses.....I can be quite wordy!

GL: No kidding!

JR: As we said, the telepathy between you extends to almost being able to finish each other's sentences...

AL: ....or start them, in Neil's case!

JR: So what's next for you guys? Before finishing the album I guess you want to wind down a little.....

NP: I've got a great cycle ride planned....a new route between my house and the local bookshop...it takes in all the backalleys of Santa Monica.....

AL: I'll be re-living the Ryder Cup out on the course, whipping you Americans again...that was great to.....

NP: ....and then maybe I'll knock up a few eggs over easy - good honest food - and get Carrie to take a few shots of them in the pan....put 'em on the website

GL: I thought I'd.....

NP: ....and maybe I need to buy some new snowshoes for the coming season. The last ones were suffering traction problems....

JR: Well thanks for your time

NP: It's our pleasure. We.....

GL: Cut! Quick!

AL: (whispers to JR) Geddy always says "Cut". That's his job.

JR: No, actually that's our job!

AL: Oh yeah, sorry..

QUOTE (Phantom @ Oct 4 2010, 08:38 PM)

Yep I thought that was a tad inappropriate.. and he kept going with it. It was easy to see that Neil was NOT comfortable with it. Maybe he was determinted to get some kind of scoop ... first guy to get Neil to talk about that time in his life. Who knows? I was squirming when he brought it up.

Edited by FoxxiStarr

QUOTE (druid13 @ Oct 4 2010, 01:00 PM)
my ONLY complaint was I wish they had picked a different song in the intro to the story...Geds voice on Time Stand Still sounded...very very strained there.

Sometimes I think the media puposely looks for those 'quirky' high pitched Geddy clips. RUSH has sort of a Wayne's World human interest angle for a lot of people, and the media will reinforce that persepctive to help color the story. At worst it is endearing, in a way, at best we get to see some interesting interviews.

Party on Garth...........