Reefer & Rush

jacob's ladder

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 23 2010, 05:35 PM)
thank you. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't stand it. I hate the drunks just as much, but as you said, they're not effecting me as much as the potheads.

I've been to a lot of concerts, mostly metal and classic rock, and I would say that at about 95% of the shows I've gone to, people were smoking. it's just kind of selfish. those few people are enjoying themselves while the rest of us are pissed.

my new concert pet peeve are the people smoking cigarettes, even though they banned it indoors here.

for the record I'm very anti-drugs/alcohol. I've never smoked anything in my entire life, and I hate the taste of alcohol.

goodpost.gif Beautifully said.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm noting a considerable level of surprise, I think that it doesn't happen a lot because the majority of attendees are responsible adults, fathers and grandfathers who may have toked it up with friends during the Signals tour, but don't anymore because they can't partake in illegalities anymore.

That's my thoughts anyway smile.gif

As for us younger at-home fans, I sure there's a lot of toking going on because Rush goes great with it! cool10.gif

--Edit: Added the word "with" at the end.--

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Sep 24 2010, 03:52 AM)
Rush concerts seem to attract plenty of people who smoke the reefer. I have been to other concerts, & haven't seen anyone smoking at all. At a Rush show, though, I'd say 25% of the cats in the audience are blazing. Rush rocks!!! common001.gif

You haven't seen anyone smoking at other gigs? Really? It depends on who you saw and to a lesser extent, where you saw them.

25% seems a bit exaggerated though

QUOTE (Scars @ Sep 23 2010, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 23 2010, 05:35 PM)
thank you. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't stand it. I hate the drunks just as much, but as you said, they're not effecting me as much as the potheads.

I've been to a lot of concerts, mostly metal and classic rock, and I would say that at about 95% of the shows I've gone to, people were smoking. it's just kind of selfish. those few people are enjoying themselves while the rest of us are pissed.

my new concert pet peeve are the people smoking cigarettes, even though they banned it indoors here.

for the record I'm very anti-drugs/alcohol. I've never smoked anything in my entire life, and I hate the taste of alcohol.

goodpost.gif Beautifully said.

+1 goodpost.gif

I do not partake.....but it does not bother in the least bit....maybe I'm a little jealous if anything, because I can't smoke (class A commercial driver)

Same as drinking....do it, enjoy it....as long as you can handle it and you don't let your actions affect you fellow concert goers.

Drugs and rock and roll have been 'meat and potatoes' since the beginning of amplified rock music.

Woodstock....Haight Ashbury....Elvis....The Beatles...and RUSH too....and probably 90% of all rock music has had major ties to the drug culture....

Once again, I do not do any drugs (at least not since the 80's)....but if you are at a rock concert you'll enjoy yourself more if you learn to accept the use and just deal with it.

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Sep 23 2010, 01:52 PM)
Rush concerts seem to attract plenty of people who smoke the reefer.  I have been to other concerts, & haven't seen anyone smoking at all.  At a Rush show, though, I'd say 25% of the cats in the audience are blazing.  Rush rocks!!! common001.gif

That 25% is to High for current Rush shows,

But I saw Tom Petty 2 yrs ago & I think that might have been 50% of the cats & dogs were enjoying the herbs.

BTW, I'm Pro-Drugs

Me & my girl pop pills before most concerts

We sneek in coconut rum in a water bottle

She smokes . . . . cig's

I smoke . . . . herbs

tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 23 2010, 02:24 PM)
no way 25% of the crowd is lighting up. i'd say it's more like 5%.

That is more like it.

If 25% were toking, I would have a contact high every concert. I have barely smelled any and the people I see doing it are doing their best to hide it.

I agree that RUSH is great to get high with. I have doneit many times but past those days a long time ago. Why do you think A Farewell to Kings is my favorite album?

There's no doubt that people still toke up at Rush shows. But like some others said I think 25 percent is a bit much. It's quite a common occurrence for me to smell it when I go to a concert. In fact i'd say that i've smelled it at the majority of the concerts i've went to over the last 18 years.

I didn't notice anything the two times I saw Rush this summer but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. There was just nothing around me. Personally, I don't have a problem with people doing it if that's how they choose to enjoy the show. It does however bother me when someone gets so baked that they can't remember the show. Then it just becomes a waste of time and money for that person and the ticket, especially if the show is sold out, could've gone to someone who would've appreciated and remember what they saw.

i wonder if the type of material they play has an influence on whether people are more likely to light up. in other words would there be more lighting up for a setlist that included hemisphere's side 1 or 2112 side 1 in it's entirety, or maybe a farewell to kings in it's entirety? i'm pretty sure if rush made an announcement that they were only going to play songs up to hemispheres, the percentage would increase.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 24 2010, 07:34 AM)
i wonder if the type of material they play has an influence on whether people are more likely to light up.  in other words would there be more lighting up for a setlist that included hemisphere's side 1 or 2112 side 1 in it's entirety, or maybe a farewell to kings in it's entirety?  i'm pretty sure if rush made an announcement that they were only going to play songs up to hemispheres, the percentage would increase.

Deffinitley if there is more 70s stuff in the set people will be more inclined to cool10.gif Not only Rush's music but just about all the rock from the 70s has that "let's light one up" feel to it.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 24 2010, 07:41 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 24 2010, 07:34 AM)
i wonder if the type of material they play has an influence on whether people are more likely to light up.  in other words would there be more lighting up for a setlist that included hemisphere's side 1 or 2112 side 1 in it's entirety, or maybe a farewell to kings in it's entirety?  i'm pretty sure if rush made an announcement that they were only going to play songs up to hemispheres, the percentage would increase.

Deffinitley if there is more 70s stuff in the set people will be more inclined to cool10.gif Not only Rush's music but just about everything from the 70s has that "let's light one up" feel to it.

they better bring back xanadu. cool10.gif

At Bristow VA, I only sniffed smoke once. So, I'm guessing the percentage would be somewhere between 2 and 5.

I would love to smoke during the show, but I'm too paranoid about getting kicked out and/or arrested.

When I saw Gov't Mule back in February (Gothic Theater in Denver), over 50% of everyone were smoking. So, I'm guessing Rush at Red Rocks probaby had a considerably higher number of smokers that easily could surpass the 25% range.

QUOTE (RobW @ Sep 23 2010, 05:46 PM)
yeah, but what's the percentage of those that smoke up Before And After the show? cool10.gif

And then they drive home! In the same flow of traffic with those of us who aren't high! Something I always look forward to on my ride home, as do the local cops.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 24 2010, 07:50 AM)
Who still calls it reefer? biggrin.gif

The same people who still refer to other people as "cats". laugh.gif

Archived