• Keys to Ascension
    • Keys to Ascension 2
    • Open Your Eyes
    • The Ladder
    • Magnification

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wanted to vote for Relayer since it's a personal favorite of mine, but common sense prevailed and I voted for CTTE. Honestly, while I love Yes's stuff from 1970-77, I'm not a fan of any of their other material, especially most of the 80s/90s stuff. Although, despite the usual complaints, I do really like most of Drama.

My eyes convinced, eclipsed with the younger moon attained with love.

It changed as almost strained amidst clear manna from above.

I crucified my hate and held the word within my hand.

There's you, the time, the logic, or the reasons we don't understand.

Sad courage claimed the victims standing still for all to see,

As armoured movers took approached to overlook the sea.

There since the cord, the license, or the reasons we understood will be.

icon_alienjig.gif

a toss up between Close To The Edge and Relayer. CTTE is probably the better of two, but I went with Relayer. There's somthing about Gates Of Delerium that give me goosebumps everytime I listen to it.

Why we gotta pick just 'un?

I love so many of their titles as a cardholding member and fan of "The Prog"...

I do agree that Chris Squire's 'Fish Out Of Water' is the closest thing to there being a 'missing' YES album in the catalog...It's a YES album if Chris were one hudred percent in control of all studio decisions...If he got to be control freak...But, word was that Jon was the control freak back then...Speaking of which...

The other album that I look at as being 'missing' YES material is the very first Jon Anderson project, 'Olias of Sunhillow'...You mesh what you have there on Chris' outing with what's found on Jon's, and you have the very 'foundation' of the 'Yes sound'...everyone else's contributions are merely fancy icing on the cake.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 23 2010, 01:29 PM)
word was that Jon was the control freak back then

They used to call him Napoleon back then, a reference to his short height but also his 'dictator' ways.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 23 2010, 01:32 PM)

They used to call him Napoleon back then, a reference to his short height but also his 'dictator' ways.

That's true but as I understand it, it wasn't necessarily because he was a control freak but that he wouldn't let the band rest on its laurels and wanted to push the band to greater and greater heights so they wouldn't become complacent or stagnant. So he was constantly pushing the guys to really explore and not to waste their talents.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 23 2010, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 23 2010, 01:32 PM)

That's true but as I understand it, it wasn't necessarily because he was a control freak but that he wouldn't let the band rest on its laurels and wanted to push the band to greater and greater heights so they wouldn't become complacent or stagnant. So he was constantly pushing the guys to really explore and not to waste their talents.

I really don't care what went on behind the scenes. All I know is whether I love the albums or not. It sucks if an album had to be born out of turmoil or whatever, but whether a great album is born out of angst or harmony, once it's released, it becomes the artistic property of the listener in a sense. If Jon Anderson was a control freak or pushed people or whatever - it worked! Yes made a shitload of great albums in their first 15 years. All I can say if that's what the case was, thanks for being a control freak! tongue.gif

To address another point mentioned - the only time I ever missed a member of Yes on any of their 70's or early 80's albums is Jon Anderson on Drama, but even then Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit are so good that I don't miss him there.

I guess it would have been cool to have Rick Wakeman on 90125, but then it wouldn't have been the same album. That's kind of how I feel in general about lamenting certain musicians being gone from any given album - the album wouldn't have been the same with a different line-up anyway, so I either enjoy it for what it is or I don't.

How can I miss Bill Bruford on Tales when I love it just the way it is? Sure, Greg Lake is a much better singer than Gordon Haskell, but I don't sit around and wish Greg Lake was on Lizard because the album is perfect as is. Change any element that went into making an album and it would have been different - yeah, it could have been better, but it also could have been worse.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 23 2010, 02:16 PM)
...change any element that went into making an album and it would have been different - yeah, it could have been better, but it also could have been worse.

I'd really like to have Adrian Belew take a crack at remastering the entire KC '69-'74 catalog

he could personally re-record himself over all the original vocals and secondary guitar work

put it out as a 45th Anniversary box set in 2014

trink39.gif

I do love Tales from Topographic Oceans... even the padding. Same with The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Genesis); there are some "incidental" bits that a lot of people would consider filler but I can't imagine the album without any of it.

Tales is more of a "mood" record for me. I don't play it all the time but when I do, I prefer DosEquis. No... I mean, when I do, I'll play it straight through. cool.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 23 2010, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 23 2010, 05:40 AM)
This time around I'm plumping for The Yes Album. I love the sound of Kaye, Howe's angular playing, the lyrics are nuts, and the tunes, oh dear Mary and all her little sheep, the tunes.

Perpetual Change is just the biz and Wurm from Starship, the way that builds and builds, ooh yeah.

"Yours Is No Disgrace" is far superior on this album than any live version I've heard, including the one from Yessongs, which is excellent. When that main theme kicks in, it just drives. The way Squire's bass and Bruford's drums and Kaye's synth and organ sound during that part has never been duplicated since.

In the Tormato thread I listed my top-10 Yes albums, and the top-3 are CTTE, The Yes Album and Fragile. Those are the ones with Bill Bruford on drums. That is not a coincidence. Alan White is a solid rock drummer, but his playing is about as subtle as a freight train full of elephants.

YIND, Starship Trooper, and Perpetual Change sealed the deal for me. Although I have to admit Drama is one of my favorite Yes albums. And Chris Squire's Fish Out of Water was the best Yes album ever recorded.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 23 2010, 04:28 PM)
I do love Tales from Topographic Oceans... even the padding. Same with The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Genesis); there are some "incidental" bits that a lot of people would consider filler but I can't imagine the album without any of it.

Tales is more of a "mood" record for me. I don't play it all the time but when I do, I prefer DosEquis. No... I mean, when I do, I'll play it straight through. cool.gif

You really do surprise me sometimes, man. You're an enigma, wrapped inside of mystery, stuffed inside a bottle of Two X's...With some of these favs of yours, you would expect them to be attached to a person with a much more extensive appreciation of 'The Prog'...but, it seems like you need to curtail, place limitations and boundaries on how much of 'The Prog' that you allow yerself to enjoy...like there's some kinda quota, in accordance with the dictates of natural law, that you dare not cross and potentially imbalance the whole, delicate equilibrium of yer internal ecosystem...

Like maybe you've seen someone O.D. before on this stuff, and that's left a bad and lasting impression on ya...But, you should already know that this ain't even a possible thing by watching my habits...No one else has swallowed more pure, undiluted Prog in large, nearly fatal quantities...I'm talking the uncut stuff that is almost 97.75% pure...You've seen me gooble that stuff up in inhuman doses and live to gooble the very next day...And, yet, you continue to ration yourself...ahahahahaha. lol. I'm so glad I amuse myself with this kinda banter.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 24 2010, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 23 2010, 04:28 PM)
I do love Tales from Topographic Oceans... even the padding.  Same with The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Genesis); there are some "incidental" bits that a lot of people would consider filler but I can't imagine the album without any of it.

Tales is more of a "mood" record for me. I don't play it all the time but when I do, I prefer DosEquis.  No... I mean, when I do, I'll play it straight through.  cool.gif

You really do surprise me sometimes, man. You're an enigma, wrapped inside of mystery, stuffed inside a bottle of Two X's...With some of these favs of yours, you would expect them to be attached to a person with a much more extensive appreciation of 'The Prog'...but, it seems like you need to curtail, place limitations and boundaries on how much of 'The Prog' that you allow yerself to enjoy...like there's some kinda quota, in accordance with the dictates of natural law, that you dare not cross and potentially imbalance the whole, delicate equilibrium of yer internal ecosystem...

Like maybe you've seen someone O.D. before on this stuff, and that's left a bad and lasting impression on ya...But, you should already know that this ain't even a possible thing by watching my habits...No one else has swallowed more pure, undiluted Prog in large, nearly fatal quantities...I'm talking the uncut stuff that is almost 97.75% pure...You've seen me gooble that stuff up in inhuman doses and live to gooble the very next day...And, yet, you continue to ration yourself...ahahahahaha. lol. I'm so glad I amuse myself with this kinda banter.

eyesre4.gif

Amuse yourself is right. I don't think anybody else finds this crap even half as cute as you do.

And you're a living example that people CAN "O.D." on Prog. If consuming it in large quantities turns otherwise decent people into elitist blowhards, that's all the warning society needs to limit their exposure to the stuff.

Who the F... voted for OYE?? biggrin.gif

I had to go with Relayer. That album is beyond perfect...it's completely transcendent of genre and emotion. The rollercoaster ride of TGoD is a one of the most fantastic musical journeys I've ever heard. And TFTO is just a step behind it as my favorite too.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 24 2010, 07:52 AM)
O.D. on Prog!

laugh.gif

Hey, what's that song at the end? I like it. Yes-like harmonies.

Archived