Rush's fanbase stigma

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

Here is an excerpt from Deadline Hollyweird:

RUSH MUSIC FANS DEEMED "LEAST SEXUAL" BY RECORDING INDUSTRY OF AMERICA

By Paul Wang - Friday August 13th, 2010 @ 6:50pm PST

RUSH fans meet before a show to discuss dungeons & dragons strategies and the best way to avoid women

HOLLYWOOD, CA -- If you're a female hoping not to get pregnant, your safest bet might just be attending a Rush concert, says a recent report by the Recording Industry of America.

The annual report, which was released this week, states that fans of the Canadian power-pop trio -- currently on tour across North America -- are mostly single, middle-aged white males who lack "basic social skills" except when in the presence of "highly effectualized guitars and percussion instruments."

"There's not a lot of chicks at our shows," admits Rush bassist Geddy Lee, 57. "Which is fine with me. The last thing I want is to be distracted by someone flashing me during a seventeen minute bass solo."

Most devotees of Rush agree with Lee's position on female fans.

"They don't add anything to the music." said Darren Brent, a 38 year-old Rush fan from Irvine. "There is something about Rush's music and lyrics that says 'this is my cock and it is a temple in which you don't belong.' "

Whether there are sexist messages hidden in Rush's music is still to be debated. The fact is, Rush must be saying something right as their concert tours continue to sellout even in this sluggish economy.

"They are some of the most loyal fans any band could want," says Pollstar's Dave McNarry, who tracks concert ticket sales and economic trends.

"Rush fans are a scary, secret bunch," said Toby Walker, a security guard who has worked their concerts at the Staples Center. "They're like air-drumming Freemasons--creepy and probably good at math, but they don't like questions or confrontation."

"They're good kids, but let's face it, there's a lot of sexual frustration," says Rush drummer and lyricist Neal Peart, speaking of the band's fan base."God knows they need some type of release. If they find it in a song about skeletons and space travel, so be it.."

Rush will in the studio in later this year working on their new album "Dong Warriors" which is expected early 2011.

OOOhhh, a scary, secret bunch...

Don't tell anyone.

F__cking 4,000 members on TRF...

Give me a break...

Just because Ged, Alex and Neil don't go around and screw groupies, doesn't mean we don't!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif

Hope my wife doesn't see this post - Love you, Sue!!!

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Aug 20 2010, 03:29 PM)
Here is an excerpt from Deadline Hollyweird:

RUSH MUSIC FANS DEEMED "LEAST SEXUAL" BY RECORDING INDUSTRY OF AMERICA

By Paul Wang - Friday August 13th, 2010 @ 6:50pm PST

RUSH fans meet before a show to discuss dungeons & dragons strategies and the best way to avoid women

HOLLYWOOD, CA -- If you're a female hoping not to get pregnant, your safest bet might just be attending a Rush concert, says a recent report by the Recording Industry of America.

The annual report, which was released this week, states that fans of the Canadian power-pop trio -- currently on tour across North America -- are mostly single, middle-aged white males who lack "basic social skills" except when in the presence of "highly effectualized guitars and percussion instruments."

"There's not a lot of chicks at our shows," admits Rush bassist Geddy Lee, 57. "Which is fine with me. The last thing I want is to be distracted by someone flashing me during a seventeen minute bass solo."

Most devotees of Rush agree with Lee's position on female fans.

"They don't add anything to the music." said Darren Brent, a 38 year-old Rush fan from Irvine. "There is something about Rush's music and lyrics that says 'this is my cock and it is a temple in which you don't belong.' "

Whether there are sexist messages hidden in Rush's music is still to be debated. The fact is, Rush must be saying something right as their concert tours continue to sellout even in this sluggish economy.

"They are some of the most loyal fans any band could want," says Pollstar's Dave McNarry, who tracks concert ticket sales and economic trends.

"Rush fans are a scary, secret bunch," said Toby Walker, a security guard who has worked their concerts at the Staples Center. "They're like air-drumming Freemasons--creepy and probably good at math, but they don't like questions or confrontation."

"They're good kids, but let's face it, there's a lot of sexual frustration," says Rush drummer and lyricist Neal Peart, speaking of the band's fan base."God knows they need some type of release. If they find it in a song about skeletons and space travel, so be it.."

Rush will in the studio in later this year working on their new album "Dong Warriors" which is expected early 2011.

Okay, just re-read the post...

When was the last time (or first time) they played the Staples Center?

Considering I was there for Bruce Springteen's christening...when did Rush play there?

Maybe I was smoking crack, oh wait, I DON'T SMOKE CRACK!!!

Please, someone help me...

Has Rush ever played Staples (in LA)?

laugh.gif

Hilarious!!!

laugh.gif

It had me going for a brief period before I caught on.

Funny, and yet as a Rush fan, I still somehow feel offended...

*goes off to do play dungeons and dragons and feel sexually frustrated*

*remembers that he has no interest in dungeons and dragons and is married*

That site is almost as funny as the Onion. I'm waiting for the 17 minute bass solo - is that this tour? rofl3.gif Wouldn't want to ruin that - perhaps Alex wouldn't be so put out. Of course flashing the guys would get you on some stalker list.

Yes it's a joke article and yes it perpetuates a stereotype about the fanbase, but hell, I'd wish the whole thing to be true if it'd mean Geddy would actually do a 17-minute bass solo. There's nothing I wouldn't give to see that.

QUOTE (jkt2112 @ Aug 20 2010, 04:13 PM)
Hello..

Have they ever played the Staples Center in LA???

That would just piss me off...

yes during Vapor Trails. why would it piss you off?

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/020923ticket.jpg

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Aug 20 2010, 03:29 PM)

laugh.gif

There is something about Rush's music and lyrics that says 'this is my cock and it is a temple in which you don't belong.' "

unsure.gif

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Aug 20 2010, 06:31 PM)
There is something about Rush's music and lyrics that says 'this is my cock and it is a temple in which you don't belong.' "

unsure.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Hmmm...that's funny. I've had some pretty good romps after Rush concerts. :B

Oh, and I am a chick! Never had a guy turn me down after a Rush show! common001.gif

Anywho, funny stuff. laugh.gif rofl3.gif

C'mon, there's lots of sexually attractive and confident Rush fans out there, right? I know I am. cool.gif

I actually found this article pretty funny, and Deadline Hollyweird is a pretty funny site, it's like The Onion except with celebrities.

Also, I can't wait for DONG WARRIORS 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I have a feeling there is going to be plenty of hot woman at the Dallas show in sept because its Texas and Rock n Roll. trink38.gif 1022.gif 653.gif cool10.gif

Cant wait tongue.gif

"There is something about Rush's music and lyrics that says 'this is my cock and it is a temple in which you don't belong.' "

rofl3.gif

"They are some of the most loyal fans any band could want,"

yes.gif

"They're like air-drumming Freemasons

yes.gif 1022.gif NeilFinal.gif

probably good at math

no.gif no.gif no.gif

z7shysterical.gif unsure.gif ph34r.gif eh.gif fists crying.gif

Can't wait. This is what will get them a #1 Billboard record and into the RRHOF.

bolt.gif

I just lol'd so hard rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 21 2010, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Aug 20 2010, 09:05 PM)
firedevil.gif  Idle hands are the devil's workshop...

Can't wait to tell my wife I'm sexually incompetant.  laugh.gif

Wouldn't she have already figured that out?

tongue.gif

ph34r.gif

I am SO GLAD that someone beat me to that... tongue.gif rofl3.gif

Archived