Are there any shows you've been to...

Usually, we all go to concerts to see the featured band on tour. But are there any shows you've gone to purely for the opening acts? If so, which ones? Did you leave after they finished their set? I find this very intersting, and was just wondering if there are others who feel the same way as I do about opening acts. I love them, especially if I never heard of them. It introduces me to new bands, some of which I grow really fond of.

For me, personally, I can name two right off the bat that this pertains to.

One was Danko Jones opening for Axl Rose/Guns n Roses. I always liked a few DJ songs, and these guys ROCK live... but after that, I couldn't get into GNR.. never been a huge fan, and aside from Welcome To The Jungle, I couldn't care less about the rest of the material.

Secondly, was Daughtry opening for Bon Jovi. Now, I didn't go to the show for Daughtry. I went because the tickets were a gift from me to somebody else and I naturally went with them. I saw him on American Idol and thought he rocked, ad felt the same way when I saw him live!

When Bon Jovi started up, my excitement diminished quickly.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Hemispheres89

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just post this in Music of the Spheres?

Living 2+ hours from two cities where most bands stop (Atlanta and Charlotte), I really can't afford to travel there just to see an opening band. However, if if was a band that I really, really loved I guess I would go, but I'd have to know several months in advance so I could save.

I went to a country show 20-plus years ago to see the Charlie Daniels Band. I didn't care for the main act, Sawyer Brown.

Years later, when I went with my son and his friends to the 2007 Family Values tour, I preferred to see Evanescence (I really wanted to see Amy Lee swing her long hair) than the headliner, Korn.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 20 2010, 11:41 PM)
Why not just post this in Music of the Spheres?

Well, it's a topic related to touring, so that's why I thought it would be alright to put it here. But maybe i'll repost it there instead.

Zebra, I can't remember who they were opening for, I just remember it was @ The Cincinnati Gardens. We drove from Dayton, OH to Cinci in rush hour traffic and ran in as they had just taken the stage.

Yep....last week i went to the Iron Maiden show to see Dream Theater....They were/are so much better it's unreal...bad part was DT only played 6 songs/50 minutes...IMO Maiden is one of the most overrated bands in history....# of the beast, powerslave and 7th son are all awesome but thats about it for me...to top it all off they played only 3 classics the whole show filled in between with complete crap and people were running around like it was the greatest thing ever....DT destroyed them...did meet some cool dudes though, i was wearing 1 of my rush t shirts and had some good rush related chats! Edited by Paulio91184

Two months ago, I would've said NO to the original question, however just a few weeks ago I went to see progressive rock bands Renaissance and the Steve Hackett Band. I went for Renaissance; Hackett was the headliner.

Unfortunately, Renaissance had an abbreviated set - not as long as their "headlining" set of last October. I planned on staying for all of Hackett anyway, but ended up leaving before his encore(s).

(FYI for those who don't know: Renaissance was a 1970s-era Prog band with an amazing female vocalist. Steve Hackett was the guitarist for early Genesis, back in the Peter Gabriel period and immediately afterwards. Together, you're looking at two 1970s Prog acts.)

Edited by GeddyRulz

Yep...

In 2004, I went to a 3-band show, opened by Thin Lizzy and headlined by Deep Purple. However, I was there to see the second act Joe Satriani.

In 2005, I went to a show headlined by Judas Priest. However, I was there to see Queensryche.

Those are the only two so far...it's never as much fun when the band you really want to see comes on first. It essentially takes the energy out of the rest of the evening IMO.

No ....although I remember hoping Primus would come on my leg in 94...instead I got Candlebox.

Primus would have been much better.

I did one time go to see Smashing Pumpkins ( in their heydey) when I really wanted to see the opener Garbage with Shirley Manson....unfortunately the Pumpkins keyboard player OD'd and they had to reschedule to a later date...Jimmy Chamberlain was also fired...keyboardist died altogether.

Months later....the opener I saw was the "Buffalo Billy Bionic Bronco Band" or some such s*it.....terrible....and I missed seeing Shirley for the 2nd time.

Edited by druid13

Back in the 80s I went to see Ozzy only because Queensryche was the opening band.

Ever go to a concert where you were stoked about both the opener and the headliner? For me it was (again in the 80s) Yngwie Malmsteen opening for Iron Maiden. That was epic!

I know that Rush has not had an opening band for quite a while. What about other bands? Do they still have opening bands?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 21 2010, 09:00 AM)
queensryche opened for metallica. they were better than metallica.

I don't have a hard time believing that....I saw Metallica on a live MTV show onetime where is was EXTREMELY APPARENT they never even bothered to tune up before the gig....the guitars were like a 1/2 step out from each other....it was pretty rough. They were huge at that point too so it was pretty unprofessional of them really.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jul 21 2010, 01:20 AM)
Zebra, I can't remember who they were opening for, I just remember it was @ The Cincinnati Gardens. We drove from Dayton, OH to Cinci in rush hour traffic and ran in as they had just taken the stage.

Ah, good ole Zebra!

I went to a Scorpians show to see King's X open for them.

Queensryche opening for AC/DC at Alpine Valley, WI back on the Rage For Order tour in 1986. We stayed for AC/DC but all I could think about was how incredible Queensryche were and the AC/DC show went by in a blur. I didn't even care about AC/DC after that set by the Ryche!

And I saw Dokken open for Loverboy at Poplar Creek, IL (we left as Loverboy were taking the stage) just to see George Lynch on guitar.

A local Chicago area band named Holland blew away............Areosmith one night at Alpine Valley. That was interesting. Never thought I'd see something like that happen.

And......back in 1979 I was still a KISS fan, although the Dynasty album helped me start to discover other bands...........

anyway, on the KISS Dynasty tour on 9/22/79 Chicago International Ampitheatre, JUDAS PRIEST opened for KISS. I was already aware of Priest through some friends and had heard a good handfull of their material already at that point, but watching them open for KISS changed my whole tune on bands and I realised that there was a whole world of other hard rock bands out there other than KISS, whom I was a diehard fan of from 1975-1979. I'm still a KISS fan for sure, but they helped me discover a lot more.

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

QUOTE (Paulio91184 @ Jul 21 2010, 01:40 AM)
Yep....last week i went to the Iron Maiden show to see Dream Theater....They were/are so much better it's unreal...bad part was DT only played 6 songs/50 minutes...IMO Maiden is one of the most overrated bands in history....# of the beast, powerslave and 7th son are all awesome but thats about it for me...to top it all off they played only 3 classics the whole show filled in between with complete crap and people were running around like it was the greatest thing ever....DT destroyed them...did meet some cool dudes though, i was wearing 1 of my rush t shirts and had some good rush related chats!

I was going to see that same Iron Maiden show in Toronto, mainly because I love Iron Maiden the most, with Dream Theater being a VERY close second. As a matter of fact, with a lineup like that, it's not hard to understand why tickets sold out so quickly. However, I had a vacation planned for that week, so I had to pass for now sad.gif

And I'm glad you had good Rush conversation! You sound like me... if I'm not going to one of my favourite band's shows (Rush,, for instance), and it's just another random concert for another band, I ALWAYS wear a different band shirt, so I could hopefully stand out and spark interest. When I went to go see Weezer last year, I wore my Metallica tour shirt, and a few dudes behind me tapped me on the shoulder and asked baout it, and we had good conversation. Then they yelled out "METALLICA!!!!!" and a bunch of other people screamed. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The way I see it is, if you're wearing a Metallica shirt at a different concert, then you're obviosuly a Metallica fan. And if you're seeing Weezer, you're obviosuly a fan of them too. Killing two birds with one stone. It lets people see you have diverse taste.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 21 2010, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jul 21 2010, 01:20 AM)

Ah, good ole Zebra!

I went to a Scorpians show to see King's X open for them.

I love Zebra and I still listen to them! 1022.gif

I saw them live back in 1983 (I think) when they were just getting noticed. They actually played in a bar attached to a bowling alley in San Diego. laugh.gif

I've always wondered if they had the right breaks where they would be today ....and how would they have progressed musically. confused13.gif