Let's Face It ... The First Set Sucks

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP lost all credibility when he said he was complaining about songs he was too smashed to clearly remember anyway eyesre4.gif

Really have some whiny brats on this forum who go into feet-kicking tantrums when every song isn't exactly what they fantasized about.

On a different tangent, I notice that the term "hardcore fan" is repeatedly used to describe themselves by some who don't like much of anything from the past 20 years and feel that the band somehow owes it to them to cater to their wishes exclusively, and that fans of later Rush (whether or not they also like early Rush) are merely "casual" fans whose preferences shouldn't matter. Well I'd say that someone who likes all eras of Rush is as qualified to like a setlist as someone who has spent the last 2 decades complaining is to dislike it.

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 20 2010, 05:33 PM)
The OP lost all credibility when he said he was complaining about songs he was too smashed to clearly remember anyway eyesre4.gif

Really have some whiny brats on this forum who go into feet-kicking tantrums when every song isn't exactly what they fantasized about.

On a different tangent, I notice that the term "hardcore fan" is repeatedly used to describe themselves by some who don't like much of anything from the past 20 years and feel that the band somehow owes it to them to cater to their wishes exclusively, and that fans of later Rush (whether or not they also like early Rush) are merely "casual" fans whose preferences shouldn't matter. Well I'd say that someone who likes all eras of Rush is as qualified to like a setlist as someone who has spent the last 2 decades complaining is to dislike it.

goodpost.gif Excellent observations, PRR. trink39.gif

I too don't get why preferring the later albums (or ALL albums) somehow diminishes one's status as a fan. News flash: They've been recording for over 35 years. There's a hell of a lot of stuff out there, catering to a rather wide range of rock tastes.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2010, 03:17 PM)
I'll buy the regional thing. Here in the northeast, we hear the big four on the radio -- "TSOR," "TS," "CTTH" and "Limelight" -- and rarely anything else.

Not in this part of the northeast. We have mainly 80s or country. angry.gif That said, I have heard a variety of Rush at Buffalo Wild Wings in Hadley, MA (which I assume is some proprietary thing, and not a local radio station), and I often hear Working Man in a bar in Keene, NH. Outside of that, next to nothing.

While I disagree with the OP, I would like to point out that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I'd think that the Rush community at large would be one that would accept differences of opinion. No, you don't have to agree with him, and possibly starting a post with "I was kinda drunk, but..." is not the best way to bolster credibility. That said, everyone is free to like or dislike any songs or setlists they choose, and I'm kinda surprised by the general reaction here. I liked the setlist, but don't think that makes the OP stupid or wrong....just in disagreement with me. I don't see the need to attack him for it.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jul 20 2010, 07:01 PM)
While I disagree with the OP, I would like to point out that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I'd think that the Rush community at large would be one that would accept differences of opinion. No, you don't have to agree with him, and possibly starting a post with "I was kinda drunk, but..." is not the best way to bolster credibility. That said, everyone is free to like or dislike any songs or setlists they choose, and I'm kinda surprised by the general reaction here. I liked the setlist, but don't think that makes the OP stupid or wrong....just in disagreement with me. I don't see the need to attack him for it.

In all due respect, if you start a dopey thread like this one stating you were so hammered you don't remember a thing about the first show, and when you were sober you know why, because the show sucked, your asking people to rip you to shreds.

He could have stated his opinion with tact, but was going for shock value and looking to ruffle feathers, so, mission accomplished. I'm fairly sure the response he got is exactly what he wanted.

If he left out the part about being so hammered he doesn't remember the first show he wouldn't have been hammered. I mean seriously, what does it matter what they played if your so incoherent you don't remember a thing? He will never even know if first show was any good, because he wasn't even there. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jul 21 2010, 11:01 AM)
While I disagree with the OP, I would like to point out that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I'd think that the Rush community at large would be one that would accept differences of opinion.  No, you don't have to agree with him, and possibly starting a post with "I was kinda drunk, but..." is not the best way to bolster credibility.  That said, everyone is free to like or dislike any songs or setlists they choose, and I'm kinda surprised by the general reaction here.  I liked the setlist, but don't think that makes the OP stupid or wrong....just in disagreement with me.  I don't see the need to attack him for it.

goodpost.gif

Let's Face It ... The First Set Sucks...

The title of the thread alone is what initially caught my eye. If the OP believed the opening set sucked - that is cool. However, the word "let's" is assuming that there is a common agreement that it does suck. I would have ignored the entire post if it had the title - In my opinion... An opinion is much different than a statement of fact.

2.gif

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 20 2010, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jul 20 2010, 07:01 PM)
While I disagree with the OP, I would like to point out that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I'd think that the Rush community at large would be one that would accept differences of opinion.  No, you don't have to agree with him, and possibly starting a post with "I was kinda drunk, but..." is not the best way to bolster credibility.  That said, everyone is free to like or dislike any songs or setlists they choose, and I'm kinda surprised by the general reaction here.  I liked the setlist, but don't think that makes the OP stupid or wrong....just in disagreement with me.  I don't see the need to attack him for it.

In all due respect, if you start a dopey thread like this one stating you were so hammered you don't remember a thing about the first show, and when you were sober you know why, because the show sucked, your asking people to rip you to shreds.

He could have stated his opinion with tact, but was going for shock value and looking to ruffle feathers, so, mission accomplished. I'm fairly sure the response he got is exactly what he wanted.

If he left out the part about being so hammered he doesn't remember the first show he wouldn't have been hammered. I mean seriously, what does it matter what they played if your so incoherent you don't remember a thing? He will never even know if first show was any good, because he wasn't even there. atickhum.gif

Perhaps I am seizing unfairly on semantics, but "Let's face it. . ." implies that there is some sort of board-wide consensus and that those renegades who WON'T "face it" (er, because they don't agree) are wrong.

Absolutely he is entitled to his opinion. Never will anyone get an argument from me on that point. At least he did make some effort to explain his position, instead of just reiterating how much it all sucked over and over.

Let's Face It ... This Thread Sucks...

Fixed. Just kidding. tongue.gif

But seriously, I think most folks are not slamming the guy, just responding to the thread title, the tone of his post, the drunk comment, and some of his seemingly odd suggestions: don't play TSOR, CTTH, Freewill, Subdivisions, do play TFE, RTB, High Water, etc. confused13.gif cool10.gif

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 20 2010, 08:38 PM)
Let's Face It ... This Thread Sucks...

Fixed. Just kidding. tongue.gif

But seriously, I think most folks are not slamming the guy, just responding to the thread title, the tone of his post, the drunk comment, and some of his seemingly odd suggestions: don't play TSOR, CTTH, Freewill, Subdivisions, do play TFE, RTB, High Water, etc. confused13.gif cool10.gif

Exactly. If a woman dresses like a slut, guys will treat her like a slut. If you post like your a troll, you will be treated like a troll. Its as simple as that. atickhum.gif

Edited by tick

Interesting...

I saw both Toronto shows too. After Tuesday nights concert, I left it feeling like the first set wasn't all that great.

During the Saturday show, I found the first set to be phenomenal.

I attribute it to the fact that I went on my own to the Tuesday show, and on Saturday, I went with a buddy who is a HUGE fan. That enthusiasm was contagious.

I still think the second set is superior to the first, but on Saturday, they seemed pretty close to me.

Marathon was a highlight. Neil nailed it on Sat night.

Dude, I was whacked out on heroin when I saw Rush and it was saaaaaaawheeeeeet!

Seriously, This is a classic case of slowing down for the car crash while traveling in the other direction.

(melody) We can learn to resist, anything but drunk posters.

HW

Like I said, dude, he could have phrased it better. He could have done several things to make fans less standoffish. Nevertheless, he's still entitled to his opinion. In short, you're both right; he can hate the first setlist, and you can hate how he framed it. That's the beauty of individuality. I'm not defending his particular opinion; I'm merely defending the ability to have an opinion and not be castigated for it.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 20 2010, 09:23 PM)
If a woman dresses like a slut, guys will treat her like a slut.

"The girl says, 'Wait a minute! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a whore!' Which is true. Gentlemen, that is true. Just because they dress a certain way doesn't mean they are a certain way. Don't ever forget it. But ladies, you must understand that is f***ing CONFUSING! It just is.

Now that would be like me, Dave Chappelle the comedian, walking down the street in a cop uniform. Somebody might run up on me, saying, 'Oh, thank God. Officer, help us! Come on. They're over here. Help us!'

'OH-H0H!!! Just because I'm DRESSED this way does not make me a police officer!'

All right, ladies, fine. You are not a whore. But you are wearing a whore's uniform."

For the whole story, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGQilYAloIA&feature=related from about 0:45 on.

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Jul 20 2010, 03:28 AM)
A few weeks ago when the set lists were revealed I felt the same way, but I got over it....you should too.

I didn't cheat at all in this "Sub-Forum" and I saw the New Mexico not knowing a thing.

I actually really enjoyed the first set list however "Faithless" was the only song I could have done without. Not because of the lyrical content as I am an agnostic, but it's just the song is quite boring.

I think they did "Faithless" to compliment "Brought Up To Believe."

Anyway, I'm over it and I still have four shows left in August.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm blowing off Porcupine Tree just to catch Rush in Universal City.

Priorities. 1022.gif

I'm going to get my 50th show in this summer!! Even with my stupid broken foot!!

RUSH ON!

QUOTE (tel @ Jul 20 2010, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jul 20 2010, 05:32 AM)
I am confident that will see a more interesting set list after the completion of the Clockwork Angels.

Hope they bring back Armor and Sword...

why ?,its the worst song they ever recorded

Anagram? Need Some Love? Best I Can?

Those seem more like candidates for "worst song they ever recorded".

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 20 2010, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jul 20 2010, 02:25 PM)
If one of the members of Rush dropped dead tomorrow (god forbid), then the  complaints we'd be dealing with would be more of a "why didn't I see them, and why didn't they tour more often!!? instead of "why did their setlists suck!?"

My greatest regret in life (and I only have a couple) is that I kept putting off going to see George Carlin perform live. Every time he came to town, I had some excuse for putting it off because I took for granted that he'd be back in town in a year or less. Then he died. I don't have many regrets, and my life has been really good considering not seeing a comedian perform is one of them... but there it is.

Don't put off meeting people, seeing artists perform or doing what you want to in life... because you may not get to later on.

I'll never, ever complain about a Rush setlist. As long as they're on stage in front of me, I'm a happy guy.

<Homer>

It's like that time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, 'I'll go a little later, I'll go a little later...' And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!

</Homer>

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jul 20 2010, 10:12 PM)

Like I said, dude, he could have phrased it better. He could have done several things to make fans less standoffish. Nevertheless, he's still entitled to his opinion. In short, you're both right; he can hate the first setlist, and you can hate how he framed it. That's the beauty of individuality. I'm not defending his particular opinion; I'm merely defending the ability to have an opinion and not be castigated for it.

This.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 20 2010, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Jul 20 2010, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jul 20 2010, 05:32 AM)
I am confident that will see a more interesting set list after the completion of the Clockwork Angels.

Hope they bring back Armor and Sword...

why ?,its the worst song they ever recorded

Anagram? Need Some Love? Best I Can?

Those seem more like candidates for "worst song they ever recorded".

You can't be serious. I can understand not liking Best I Can and Need Some Love, but if you like Tai Shan + High Water then how could you not like Anagram? That's crazy! Personal taste or not, that just doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 21 2010, 04:06 PM)
Not because of the lyrical content as I am an agnostic, but it's just the song is quite boring.

OTT...Woe there partner...I thought you were athiest?? huh.gif There's hope for you yet!! biggrin.gif