I listened to the Presto album

micgtr71

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 9 2010, 01:24 PM)
Great: Red Tide, Available Light, Anagram, The Pass, Chain Lightning, War Paint, Scars

Good: Show Don't Tell (starts great; chorus a letdown), Superconductor (same)

Average: Presto (doesn't really do anything for me musically or lyrically), Hand Over Fist

Overall #13 or 14. Better than S&A, RTB, HYF & Signals.

I am not sure how you are posting...do you count Signals in your bottom 3? It is one of my top 3 favorite Rush albums.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 9 2010, 03:22 PM)
I am not sure how you are posting...do you count Signals in your bottom 3? It is one of my top 3 favorite Rush albums.

Diff'rent strokes, diff'rent folks. It's all good.

I have Signals at #3 as well.

I've said it a million time before. Its a great album!!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 9 2010, 07:45 AM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jul 9 2010, 07:40 AM)
If you took the best tracks from Presto and RTB and made one 45 min CD out of it...now we're talkin'.

Realistically, the only songs I listen to from Presto & RTB are:

Dreamline

The Pass

Chain Lightning

There are other songs I think are passable, but those are the only ones I ever have any desire to listen to from both of those albums combined. unsure.gif

ph34r.gif

I honestly don''t get the love for Dreamline. I'll agree it is a good song, as are all Rush songs.. but for me it is near the weakest. I think the only song I would replace with Dreamline on a set list would be Working Man ph34r.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jul 9 2010, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 9 2010, 07:45 AM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jul 9 2010, 07:40 AM)
If you took the best tracks from Presto and RTB and made one 45 min CD out of it...now we're talkin'.

Realistically, the only songs I listen to from Presto & RTB are:

Dreamline

The Pass

Chain Lightning

There are other songs I think are passable, but those are the only ones I ever have any desire to listen to from both of those albums combined. unsure.gif

ph34r.gif

I honestly don''t get the love for Dreamline. I'll agree it is a good song, as are all Rush songs.. but for me it is near the weakest. I think the only song I would replace with Dreamline on a set list would be Working Man ph34r.gif

I think Dreamline was their best song from Presto through VT.

My 3 least favorite albums are Presto, RTB, and CoS. Every couple of years I go back and listen to them in their entirety to see if maybe my feelings about those records have changed. So far they still haven't.

I think Kevin Shirley said it best when he said in the doc. that Presto & RTB had no balls. And, from my point of view, Alex is practically non-existent in many places on Presto.

I do love The Pass & the title cut...Chain Lightning, Superconductor, & Show Don't Tell are Ok, too. I think Anagram & War Paint are 2 of their absolute worst.

The only real "skipper" for me on this one is Hand Over Fist.

Love, love, love Scars, Available Light, Chain Lightning. And yes, I shamefully confess to being a Superconductor fan as well!

Big fan of this album! I dislike War Paint, Scars, and Superconductor and pretty much love every other track (except for SDT which I merely like). Chain Lightning, Presto, and Available Light are three of their best songs IMO.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 9 2010, 06:04 AM)
Always partial to Show Don't Tell, the Pass and Presto, but they were extra good this time. CL and WP were great listens as well. Then came the problem. The dreaded Superconductor and Anagram (who the hell is mongo?) These songs I admit were hard to listen to even with my forced open mind. Then the end of the album got better. Red Tide was very enjoyable for me. Even the cheesy synths worked for the song (I forget this is really an 80s album). HOF, well...not the greatest piece of music but a great set of bass fills at the end. Great guitar riffs as well. Available Light is a fantastic piece of music. I listened to it again as if it were the first time.

Presto was the 1st Rush studio album I really liked. It made me a Rush fan (am I a late comer?) What keeps me going back to Presto are the lyrics:

Anagram

Presto

The Pass

War Paint

Available Light

I love the integration of grand piano with hard rock guitar. Throughout the 80s, Rush was driven by synthesizer, with little for Alex to do. There are some good solos on Signals, Power Windows and Grace...but still it seems that all of it came together on PRESTO - my all time favorite. Presto was the first tour I saw. WOW......they played Xanadu, Analog Kid, Red Barchetta, YYZ......and so much more. It was a great show. But I'll always love Presto for the music and lyrics.

Show Don't Tell - best on the album

Chain Lightning is great

The Pass is fantastic

There's nothing wrong with War Paint itself, it's a good song, it just sounds so much like Territories, Heresy, Anagram, and Hand Over Fist. wacko.gif Seriously, you can sing "Paint the Mirror Black" over any of those songs.

Scars - the first time I heard "scars," it was on the RiR documentary without the words. When I heard it, I was like "WTF is that?!?! Another instrumental?! That has got to be the coolest song in the world." Yet, when the lyrics get put back in, you lose focus on the music. This just goes to prove that you may not be listening to the music as much as you think you are; you may be missing out on huge parts.

Presto is good.

Superconductor rocks equivalently to "Limelight" or "Freewill."

I like Anagram.

Red Tide? "Let us not go gently into the endless winter niiight!!" Red Tide most certainly has balls.

I love Hand Over Fist.

Available Light is the second best on the album.

The problem with the album is that the songs are all somewhat prone to grow tiresome. I don't know what's wrong with them, none of them make me want to listen to them twice in a row. eh.gif

The production is my only problem. I love every song on the record... and yes, that includes "Stupidconductor" and "Anagram (for Mongo)". ph34r.gif

There area few weaker tunes for sure (Hand Over Fist, Superconductor, Anagram)...but none of those are awful either. And some of the really strong songs (The Pass, the title track, Available Light, Scars, Show Don't Tell) are pretty awesome tunes.

Hate to start off with such a downer post, but I absolutely detest this recording and wish that the band had just shelved this one and started anew, erased the contents of the master tape and made a new fresh start in the studio...

The word 'Sterile' is what comes to mind here, on the rare occasions that I do grab a listen...No hooks, no memorable melodies, no guitar riffs to be found anywhere, no keyboard patterns to get excited about...

This is essentially a non-entity, a non-thing...not a thing....nothing. I wish that the guys took the time to write their memoirs during this specific timeframe, or possibly engage in the painstaking task of printing the first twenty books of the bible on the head of a pin...anything but this pointless exercise in agony...

Oh, and did I mention that I happen to love Rush!? Can't really tell that fact with all this overt slander, right?

Where's the dang thread for the recent RUSH documentary - Beyond the Lighted Stage? I want to add my two cents.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Jul 11 2010, 01:08 AM)
Hate to start off with such a downer post, but I absolutely detest this recording and wish that the band had just shelved this one and started anew, erased the contents of the master tape and made a new fresh start in the studio...

The word 'Sterile' is what comes to mind here, on the rare occasions that I do grab a listen...No hooks, no memorable melodies, no guitar riffs to be found anywhere, no keyboard patterns to get excited about...

This is essentially a non-entity, a non-thing...not a thing....nothing.  I wish that the guys took the time to write their memoirs during this specific timeframe, or possibly engage in the painstaking task of printing the first twenty books of the bible on the head of a pin...anything but this pointless exercise in agony...

Oh, and did I mention that I happen to love Rush!?  Can't really tell that  fact with all this overt slander, right?

Where's the dang thread for the recent RUSH documentary - Beyond  the Lighted Stage?  I want to add my two cents.

Are you entitled to your opinion? yes.gif

Do I respect your opinion? no.gif

I like Presto a lot. 653.gif

Archived