Neil's explaination of Embarrassment

keakag

So many fans give Neil such a hard time about not being more accessible.

Geddy and Alex have always talked on his behalf concerning it. IMO, it was good that Neil talked about it in the film. He showed that he is appreciative of the fans. It's the adoration that makes him uncomfortable.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...Will he be better understood?"

Nope. That's been proven out around here. It doesn't matter how much Neil explains, there's a certain group that has labeled him an "unsociable bastard" and nothing will change their minds.

I thought he seemed very human in the film. I never thought him an unsociable bastard, I just hope he is having fun playing, I know it's his "job" but it's good to see him loosened up a bit. Just makes you appreciate Ged and Alex personalities a bit more is all really.

Let's face it, your average person is pretty annoying, uninteresting, and needy...who needs 20,000 of those following you around anyway. He is probably uncomfortable getting out of conversations that suck, so he avoids most of them all together.

My only regret is that Neil and I are NOT on the same page with regards to religion and politics. That's something I'll just have to deal with, unfortunately.

But I've seen the documentary 3 times and now and everytime I see him on there I just forget about the difference of beliefs and want to hug the man.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jun 27 2010, 07:42 AM)
I thought he seemed very human in the film. I never thought him an unsociable bastard, I just hope he is having fun playing, I know it's his "job" but it's good to see him loosened up a bit. Just makes you appreciate Ged and Alex personalities a bit more is all really.

Let's face it, your average person is pretty annoying, uninteresting, and needy...who needs 20,000 of those following you around anyway. He is probably uncomfortable getting out of conversations that suck, so he avoids most of them all together.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 27 2010, 07:46 AM)
My only regret is that Neil and I are NOT on the same page with regards to religion and politics. That's something I'll just have to deal with, unfortunately.

But I've seen the documentary 3 times and now and everytime I see him on there I just forget about the difference of beliefs and want to hug the man.

smile.gif When we were watching it again last night, I said, "I feel they're part of my family."

That's how much these men and their music and their lives have impacted me.

Although I think I understand Neil and he came off very grateful of his fans in the documentary, he really should have been there for the Hollywood star ceremony. Even if he just stood there and didn't say anything. Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 27 2010, 09:23 AM)
Although I think I understand Neil and he came off very grateful of his fans in the documentary, he really should have been there for the Hollywood star ceremony. Even if he just stood there and didn't say anything. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. Its one thing to not want to be followed around, its entirely different when you blow off important band events, even if he doesnt actually view it as important.

He would have been better off in his life I think if he joined a band that never became famous. I really think he would have been happier, and he talks about this in the film. He says he just wants to be a regular guy that noone knows.

If he could have made a modest living in a somewhat successful underground band, I think he would have been just fine with that. It was when Rush got big in the early 80s that he started backing away from it.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jun 27 2010, 07:42 AM)

I felt the same way. He even looked a bit uncomfortable just TALKING about it, and to me that made his participation in the doc seem more 'real'. I totally understand his need for 'separation', though most fans will automatically assume he's an ungrateful person.

I greatly appreciate him being part of the documentary, though. I can't wait to watch it again on blu-ray.

There really should be a sub forum on this board for the people who insist on bashing Neil Peart!

The man shares himself with his fans is so many ways. He's opened up by writing 3 or 4 books. He has his own website with regular updates. He sits down for interviews. He produces instructional DVDs. He plays concert after concert. I've learn more about Rush through Neil Peart then Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee combined. Oh wait, he doesn't show up for photo ops. Screw him!

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 10:27 AM)

Agreed. Its one thing to not want to be followed around, its entirely different when you blow off important band events, even if he doesnt actually view it as important.

He would have been better off in his life I think if he joined a band that never became famous. I really think he would have been happier, and he talks about this in the film. He says he just wants to be a regular guy that noone knows.

If he could have made a modest living in a somewhat successful underground band, I think he would have been just fine with that. It was when Rush got big in the early 80s that he started backing away from it.

I do believe you're right in that Neil's original goal was just to make a decent living as a musician. Becoming famous wasn't even on the radar. That it happened was quite a shock to him.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 27 2010, 08:04 AM)

smile.gif When we were watching it again last night, I said, "I feel they're part of my family."

That's how much these men and their music and their lives have impacted me.

smile.gif

I hate to admit but I felt this way too. But then again, Ged and Alex signed autographs and Neil would not have done that -- so what is he supposed to do, just leave the area and let the other two handle it? That would look awkward too. Idk..

I thought he explained himself well.I really do believe he is genuinely shy and uncomfortable around strangers.

I also thought it was quite brave and unselfish of him to talk about his loss/tragedy on camera.Seems like an ok dude to me.

That explanation was really an eye opener.

If anyone bashes Neil for keeping to himself now, they're really just not human. The man is uncomfortable in the public spotlight. Leave him alone.

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jun 27 2010, 10:32 AM)
I thought he explained himself well.I really do believe he is genuinely shy and uncomfortable around strangers.

I also thought it was quite brave and unselfish of him to talk about his loss/tragedy on camera.Seems like an ok dude to me.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jun 27 2010, 09:31 AM)
I know this is a bit off topic, but I really thought they handled the Neil tragedies very well. You could tell that even to this day, Ged & Al are still very emotional about that period of their lives.

You look like the dude that was talking during the subdivisions part of the documetary.

QUOTE (Phall2112 @ Jun 27 2010, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jun 27 2010, 09:31 AM)
I know this is a bit off topic, but I really thought they handled the Neil tragedies very well.  You could tell that even to this day, Ged & Al are still very emotional about that period of their lives.

You look like the dude that was talking during the subdivisions part of the documetary.

Yes, he does. He looks like Christopher Schneberger. He posts on Counterparts.

It's regretful because someone doesn't have the exact same beliefs as you? Wow.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 27 2010, 12:40 PM)

It's regretful because someone doesn't have the exact same beliefs as you? Wow.

I believe he's speaking from a personal perspective. Let's not assume.

The explanation of shyness is fine, I guess, but he's still going to appear to be a dick to those that are offended regardless of what was said. He obviously is not as comfortable in front of the camera as Ged or Alex, but he did seemed very relaxed when chatting with Freddie Gruber.

Still, though, it comes across as if he wants to have his cake and to eat it too and is more than happy to pawn the publicity portion of the job off on the other guys with his "shyness" as an excuse. You'd think a guy as smart as Neil would seek out help over that at some point...unless he's just a dick that doesn't want to talk to people unless it's on his terms (which is kinda the feeling I get but I surely don't know him).

Regardless, I don't care as long as he keeps slamming on the drums.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 27 2010, 10:21 AM)
The explanation of shyness is fine, I guess, but he's still going to appear to be a dick to those that are offended regardless of what was said. He obviously is not as comfortable in front of the camera as Ged or Alex, but he did seemed very relaxed when chatting with Freddie Gruber.

Still, though, it comes across as if he wants to have his cake and to eat it too and is more than happy to pawn the publicity portion of the job off on the other guys with his "shyness" as an excuse. You'd think a guy as smart as Neil would seek out help over that at some point...unless he's just a dick that doesn't want to talk to people unless it's on his terms (which is kinda the feeling I get but I surely don't know him).

Regardless, I don't care as long as he keeps slamming on the drums.

I usually gave him the benefit of the doubt anyway, but got a little annoyed by the Walk of Fame thing. Hearing him talk about his shyness in his own words in the doc really did give me more compassion and understanding for what it's like for him. No one is perfect, so we shouldn't expect he would be.

And in the end, what's most important is that he's a great drummer who gives it his all in the studio and in concert. Everything else is ultimately a bonus.

Archived