Neil's explaination of Embarrassment

keakag

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 27 2010, 07:06 PM)
hey i can relate to the guy in that sense. i'm not much of a people's person and i hate being in any one social gathering for a long period of time and sometimes will dodge a social situation just because i can't take being there for more than an hour or so. hey neil, we agree on something. trink39.gif

Again, nothing wrong at all with being like that. It's natural, but he's in a famous rock band, people are going to criticize him for it.

The lead singer of Incubus has talked about this. He's is painfully shy, does not like meeting fans, but guess what, he's a good enough guy to foce himself to do it to make them happy. He's said if I want to be in this band, I have to do it and ill find a way to like it, and he's done just that.

Its just the right thing to do if you want to be in a famous band. Neil wants the money, wants to make great music, but doesnt want everything else that comes with that, and its obviously proven to be a problem for many people.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 05:55 PM)

Every Rush fan wonders what his deal is. He explains it, and the fact is for most of them its no excuse. He didnt have to meet people, he didnt have to talk, he didnt have to sign autographs, just show your face and people will shut up. He cant even force himself to do that.

No, it's people like you. Your type of personality is disfuctional, delusional and downright dangerous.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 27 2010, 07:06 PM)
hey i can relate to the guy in that sense.  i'm not much of a people's person and i hate being in any one social gathering for a long period of time and sometimes will dodge a social situation just because i can't take being there for more than an hour or so.  hey neil, we agree on something.  trink39.gif

Again, nothing wrong at all with being like that. It's natural, but he's in a famous rock band, people are going to criticize him for it.

The lead singer of Incubus has talked about this. He's is painfully shy, does not like meeting fans, but guess what, he's a good enough guy to foce himself to do it to make them happy. He's said if I want to be in this band, I have to do it and ill find a way to like it, and he's done just that.

Its just the right thing to do if you want to be in a famous band. Neil wants the money, wants to make great music, but doesnt want everything else that comes with that, and its obviously proven to be a problem for many people.

maybe he could have a couple of shots of macallen and than go out there? trink39.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 27 2010, 07:10 PM)

Every Rush fan wonders what his deal is. He explains it, and the fact is for most of them its no excuse. He didnt have to meet people, he didnt have to talk, he didnt have to sign autographs, just show your face and people will shut up. He cant even force himself to do that.

No, it's people like you. Your type of personality is disfuctional, delusional and downright dangerous.

You're an idiot. You really think its okay for this guy to be in a band like this, then receive something like a star on the walk of fame, and dodge it and use the excuse that he's on his f***ing motercycle in the middle of nowhere?

Wow, just wow. You're a tool if you think thats normal behavior. Im not saying its wrong for him to be shy, but show your face for 10 minutes.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 07:13 PM)

You're an idiot. You really think its okay for this guy to be in a band like this, then receive something like a star on the walk of fame, and dodge it and use the excuse that he's on his f***ing motercycle in the middle of nowhere?

Wow, just wow. You're a tool if you think thats normal behavior. Im not saying its wrong for him to be shy, but show your face for 10 minutes.

i still think he went to a richard dawkins book signing instead. tongue.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 06:13 PM)

How articulate.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 08:13 PM)

You're an asshole. Did Neil ask for the f***ing award? NO. Leave the guy alone. The man doesn't owe anybody anything.

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Jun 27 2010, 07:15 PM)

You're an asshole. Did Neil ask for the f***ing award? NO. Leave the guy alone.

No, IT WAS AWARDED TO HIM! Take it with a smile on your face, act like a nice guy for once, maybe even smile if he can manage that, and then get on the bike again. Really not a lot to ask to be honest with you.

I beg to differ. Seems to be only people like yourself who feel you have some sort of entitlement when it comes to celebrities who wonder what his deal is. Alex and Geddy are perfectly willing to stick around and do the autographs and meet and greet stuff if that isn't enough for you then you are beyond reasoning with.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Jun 27 2010, 07:15 PM)

You're an asshole. Did Neil ask for the f***ing award? NO. Leave the guy alone.

No, IT WAS AWARDED TO HIM! Take it with a smile on your face, act like a nice guy for once, maybe even smile if he can manage that, and then get on the bike again. Really not a lot to ask to be honest with you.

It was awarded to RUSH, and if two thirds of Rush are there with big smiles on their faces and happy to accept the award ON BEHALF OF NEIL, why the hell should Neil be there if he doesn't want to be! People like you who think Neil Peart owes the fans meet-and-greets and public appearances and shit are only making Rush fans seem comparable to the morons rioting in downtown Toronto right now. Morons.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 27 2010, 07:19 PM)

I beg to differ. Seems to be only people like yourself who feel you have some sort of entitlement when it comes to celebrities who wonder what his deal is. Alex and Geddy are perfectly willing to stick around and do the autographs and meet and greet stuff if that isn't enough for you then you are beyond reasoning with.

I dont feel like im entitled to anything with Rush. I couldnt care less about them personally. I had a chance to meet them through a friend on the RTB tour, and I turned it down. I have no desire to know anything about them outside of the band, I dont have any questions I would ever care to ask them.

But I would have liked to see him act like he cares about their legacy, thats all. I would have really appreciated to see him act like he cares for once.

Its not just us saying Neil is the guy on the outside, I do recall Geddy saying this in the movie. Good luck arguing against that one.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 27 2010, 09:23 AM)
Although I think I understand Neil and he came off very grateful of his fans in the documentary, he really should have been there for the Hollywood star ceremony. Even if he just stood there and didn't say anything. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. Its one thing to not want to be followed around, its entirely different when you blow off important band events, even if he doesnt actually view it as important.

He would have been better off in his life I think if he joined a band that never became famous. I really think he would have been happier, and he talks about this in the film. He says he just wants to be a regular guy that noone knows.

If he could have made a modest living in a somewhat successful underground band, I think he would have been just fine with that. It was when Rush got big in the early 80s that he started backing away from it.

wtf.gif wtf.gif

"Important Band Events"...????

You mean like concerts or business meetings??? When has he ever missed one of those?

The HWOF was a promotional event to honor Rush and promote the upcoming tour and album...

The only time NP needs to show up is when drum playing is required or a creative/business/legal decision is required.

END OF f***ing STORY.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 27 2010, 05:17 PM)
After watching the documentary, and knowing "how Neil is" since I've been a Rush fan, I believe that  Neil probably has some sort of Social Anxiety Disorder. It was interesting to see how he was teased in school, was very sensitive, had a lot of social issues, etc...and how this has translated to him becoming a huge Rock star is that he has completely shut out his fans in social situations.

Who knows if it's officially been "diagnosed" or if he's on medication or whatever, but he seems to be the classic case of someone with SAD.

And, again the "fans" who sit here and bash the guy and call him a Dick that think they know what's right and what isn't for Neil think they know....but they dont know. None of us really know for sure what the exact deal is with Neil.

There have been pro athletes that have been forced to retire or take leaves of absence because of this issue.

If that's not the biggest piece of idiotic drivel I've ever heard...

He performs brilliantly for you, giving you some of the most inspired lyrics and drumming in the history of Rock Music... and that's still not enough??

You need to see him up close. Perhaps touch him. Have a coffee with him and tell him how brilliant he is, then share your opinions with him...??? Is that the fantasy you have?

He's not that guy. Get it though your late-adoloscent heads. No matter how much his lyrics speak to you, he's not your friend, buddy, pal... He's really nothing like you at all.

Alex and Geddy have taken on the duties of in person promotional appearances. NP oversees the album artwork, the videos, the overall concepts for each album and playing the shit of the drums.

Question for the thread: Raise your hand if you've ever had a restraining order filed against you...

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 27 2010, 07:19 PM)

I dont feel like im entitled to anything with Rush. I couldnt care less about them personally. I had a chance to meet them through a friend on the RTB tour, and I turned it down. I have no desire to know anything about them outside of the band, I dont have any questions I would ever care to ask them.

But I would have liked to see him act like he cares about their legacy, thats all. I would have really appreciated to see him act like he cares for once.

Its not just us saying Neil is the guy on the outside, I do recall Geddy saying this in the movie. Good luck arguing against that one.

He was at the Canadian Songwriters Awards Ceremony a while back because he does give a shit being the songwriter that he is.

You also can totally tell in the movie just how shy Neil really is. He does not feel comfortable around people he doesn't know. Just because he's made a living being a drummer in a successful rock band doesn't mean that he owes us as the fan anything else other than continuing to make kick ass albums and pounding the crap outta the skins on stage.

A thousand facepalm.gif 's aren't enough.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 27 2010, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 27 2010, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 27 2010, 09:23 AM)
Although I think I understand Neil and he came off very grateful of his fans in the documentary, he really should have been there for the Hollywood star ceremony. Even if he just stood there and didn't say anything. Just my 2 cents.

I hate to admit but I felt this way too. But then again, Ged and Alex signed autographs and Neil would not have done that -- so what is he supposed to do, just leave the area and let the other two handle it? That would look awkward too. Idk..

I think that would have been fine. The point was that they were being honored in a way that commemorates them forever. There are only roughly 3,000 others in the history of the world who have a hollywood star. Even if he just stood there and immediately after, departed the location, he should have been there. It is a respect thing. It shows great disrespect to blow it off IMO.

It is done. I think he should issue an apology and explanation. If he doesn't, no biggie, but it does reflect on him. I have a lot of respect for Neil and would defend him forever on the meet & greets and other press appearances, but I can't defend him on this one.

OR if he had written something for Ged or Alex to read to show his appreciation, I'd even accept that too. And perhaps that DID happen? But from the view footage I saw, it was the Geddy and Alex show.

Archived