Neil's explaination of Embarrassment

keakag

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 29 2010, 02:23 PM)
I think in 10-20 years when he's too old to pick up a set of drumsticks, he's going to think to himself "I wish I wasn't such a tightass when I was in the band"

No, he probably won't.

He's 57 and he is who he is, and he's living his life and playing in this band the way that works best for him. He, Ged and Alex don't have a problem with the way he carries himself -- it's a handful of anonymous strangers on message boards who do.

Oh for crymies sake...so the old salts have seen this thread over and over and over beathorse.gif ...is it any newbie's fault if THEY'D like to read???

If you just can't handle the SAME OLD TOPIC...then DO NOT POST, DO NOT READ, DO NOT BOTHER.

But don't keep other's from hashing it out for their 100th time.

You may have had a crawl full at the 10th time, but let the discussions flow.

Osage

1001001...instead of shutting the thread, block offensive posters from the thread.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 29 2010, 12:32 PM)
I think in 10-20 years when he's too old to pick up a set of drumsticks, he's going to think to himself "I wish I wasn't such a tightass when I was in the band"

No, he probably won't.

He's 57 and he is who he is, and he's living his life and playing in this band the way that works best for him. He, Ged and Alex don't have a problem with the way he carries himself -- it's a handful of anonymous strangers on message boards who do.

Amen

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 29 2010, 01:32 PM)

No, he probably won't.

fair enough, but I don't think people stop growing at 57 or even at 87. He's a private person, but I think any psychologist would agree he takes it to a level that could be considered unhealthy. I'm not calling him a "jerk" or anything, I'm genuinely concerned for the guy. I don't want to meet him or shake his hand or get his autograph, I just want him to be healthy and happy. Hopefully he is and we're all just misreading his behavior.

Then what we're left with is a man who once was not bitter but now is.

Yay.

I agree with shaun3701...upon reflection, coulda, woulda, shoulda...will prevail.

Til then, I'm happy to let him wallow in whatever makes him safe.

And look forward to the day he comes around...therapy baby, therapy.

Osage

I remember hearing Neil scream "Just leave me alone!!" to some guy when he was exiting the rear of the Capital Centre in May of '81. I never really thought he'd still be screaming it for nearly 30 years. Why does he continue on if he hates the atmosphere of a successful musician? Does he feel deeply indebted to Alex and Geddy? Are the financials too good to leave? Does he have rare, fleeting moments where he actually loves the spotlight?

Not trolling, FTR..

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 29 2010, 03:16 PM)
I remember hearing Neil scream "Just leave me alone!!" to some guy when he was exiting the rear of the Capital Centre in May of '81. I never really thought he'd still be screaming it for nearly 30 years. Why does he continue on if he hates the atmosphere of a successful musician? Does he feel deeply indebted to Alex and Geddy? Are the financials too good to leave? Does he have rare, fleeting moments where he actually loves the spotlight?

Not trolling, FTR..

Seriously, Neil Peart's attitude and feelings have been explained adnauseam.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 29 2010, 02:16 PM)

Not trolling, FTR..

Neil is a high school dropout, so if it wasn't for the band... who knows how his life would have turned out. I'm sure he's only stayed in it for the money all these years.

In the spirit of not trolling then...

I'd say it's because Neil wants, legitimately (I feel), to perform in the public spotlight, and when the spotlight gets turned off at the end of the show, he wants to go home. That's... it. Write songs, record, play shows, go home. He's not a party animal, he never has been. And if someone intrudes too far into his personal space, he might yell. I would, too. In fact, I have - and I'm not famous!

If there are interviews granted, public appearances made - that's all stuff that I think he considers secondary to his profession: writing and drumming.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 29 2010, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 29 2010, 03:16 PM)
I remember hearing Neil scream "Just leave me alone!!" to some guy when he was exiting the rear of the Capital Centre in May of '81.  I never really thought he'd still be screaming it for nearly 30 years.  Why does he continue on if he hates the atmosphere of a successful musician? Does he feel deeply indebted to Alex and Geddy? Are the financials too good to leave?  Does he have rare, fleeting moments where he actually loves the spotlight? 

Not trolling, FTR..

Seriously, Neil Peart's attitude and feelings have been explained adnauseam.

Yes indeed it has. He's good at showing his absolute disdain for his fans (or anyone he considers inferior) and then saying he's a poor, misunderstood soul with the mother-of-all-shyness-psychiatric disorders.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 29 2010, 02:25 PM)
In the spirit of not trolling then...

I'd say it's because Neil wants, legitimately (I feel), to perform in the public spotlight, and when the spotlight gets turned off at the end of the show, he wants to go home. That's... it. Write songs, record, play shows, go home. He's not a party animal, he never has been. And if someone intrudes too far into his personal space, he might yell. I would, too. In fact, I have - and I'm not famous!

If there are interviews granted, public appearances made - that's all stuff that I think he considers secondary to his profession: writing and drumming.

Neil never a party animal, lol? There was a guy who looked like him in every freak crowd in every high school back in the 70's.

And btw, Neil would stick around after shows if he could only rub elbows with other musical "dignitaries"..

QUOTE (osage2112 @ Jun 29 2010, 01:41 PM)
Then what we're left with is a man who once was not bitter but now is.

Yay.

I agree with shaun3701...upon reflection, coulda, woulda, shoulda...will prevail.

Til then, I'm happy to let him wallow in whatever makes him safe.

And look forward to the day he comes around...therapy baby, therapy.
Osage

Again, the biggest bunch of - "I know NP better than he knows himself" crap I've ever heard.

You people can't be for real. This has to be a put on. A joke. A ruse to keep the thread going.

Because I absolutely refuse to believe that someone who likes the same band as me is really that stupid or weird...or f*cked up in the head to think that NP owes us something.

Bottom line, freaks, if it doesn't bother Ged and Al, then why the f**k should bother you so much? Answer: You're a psycho stalker...

I'm surprised at how much this matters to some people. Why do you care so much? It doesn't affect your life one way or the other. They still make music and do shows, and you get to listen. Why does it matter if Neil interacts with fans or not?

1001001...time to ban the nut.

He's out of control.

Osage

Archived