Neil's explaination of Embarrassment

keakag

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 06:55 PM)
When you're in a famous rock band, just making music isnt enough anymore.

It is for me. And in fact, this is the problem with popular music in general- it ISN'T about the music, but it SHOULD be. But I kind of thought that's one really unique thing about Rush. They've made a career about being just about the music, and many fans respect them for that.

Neil doesn't come off as a jerk to me. He comes of as somebody who is only about the music- and since the music is what I want from him, it works out to be a pretty nice relationship.

There are a gazillion other bands other there if you need more than just music from a band (2/3 of Rush even). But me, I just need the music.

In a world where people are using their glamorous bodies, criminal records, or high publicity stunts to sell music, Neil's just wanting to make the best music he can and nothing more is the issue?

How sad it would be if Neil had decided to never play drums in bands because he didn't want to do the "more than music" that's expected of him.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 27 2010, 07:56 PM)
I don't think anyone is expecting or even WANTING a personal encounter with Neil. We just want him to act like a normal f--king human being.

Normal as defined by you. He seems normal to me.

So basically, you want him to conform to your expectations of how he should behave rather than what he thinks is best. You lost that battle back after CoS when he decided he'd rather make 2112 and do it his way that bow to the pressure of others. And I'm pretty thankful he (and the other 2) did.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 27 2010, 05:04 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 27 2010, 07:46 AM)
My only regret is that Neil and I are NOT on the same page with regards to religion and politics. That's something I'll just have to deal with, unfortunately.

But I've seen the documentary 3 times and now and everytime I see him on there I just forget about the difference of beliefs and want to hug the man.

smile.gif When we were watching it again last night, I said, "I feel they're part of my family."

That's how much these men and their music and their lives have impacted me.

goodpost.gif

Perfect!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cosmo.gif

all i care about is the music. i may not like everything they do but i certainly don't care about any awards they get, what they like for breakfast, favorite shaving cream, or what they like on their hamburgers. if you do you're not busy enough with your own life.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 27 2010, 06:42 PM)
A thousand facepalm.gif 's aren't enough.

Why is that? Some interesting discussion here among people who share different views.......kinda what a forum is for.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 27 2010, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 27 2010, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 27 2010, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 27 2010, 09:23 AM)
Although I think I understand Neil and he came off very grateful of his fans in the documentary, he really should have been there for the Hollywood star ceremony. Even if he just stood there and didn't say anything. Just my 2 cents.

I hate to admit but I felt this way too. But then again, Ged and Alex signed autographs and Neil would not have done that -- so what is he supposed to do, just leave the area and let the other two handle it? That would look awkward too. Idk..

I think that would have been fine. The point was that they were being honored in a way that commemorates them forever. There are only roughly 3,000 others in the history of the world who have a hollywood star. Even if he just stood there and immediately after, departed the location, he should have been there. It is a respect thing. It shows great disrespect to blow it off IMO.

It is done. I think he should issue an apology and explanation. If he doesn't, no biggie, but it does reflect on him. I have a lot of respect for Neil and would defend him forever on the meet & greets and other press appearances, but I can't defend him on this one.

OR if he had written something for Ged or Alex to read to show his appreciation, I'd even accept that too. And perhaps that DID happen? But from the view footage I saw, it was the Geddy and Alex show.

Good point. Yes, that would have been suffice.

Actually, Geddy did NOT say in the documentary that Neil is "an outsider" or "on the outside" or whatever. He said in a clearly joking manner that they still tease Neil about being "the new guy," that after 30 years Neil is still "the new guy." That's not the same thing at all as what you're saying he said. There was no bitterness or resentment in his tone, his manner, or the expression on his face. It's made quite clear in the documentary that Neil is completely accepted and loved by his bandmates for exactly who he is, and at no point in the film do Geddy or Al even hint at the resentment within the band towards Neil that you are implying.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 27 2010, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 27 2010, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 27 2010, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 27 2010, 09:23 AM)
Although I think I understand Neil and he came off very grateful of his fans in the documentary, he really should have been there for the Hollywood star ceremony. Even if he just stood there and didn't say anything. Just my 2 cents.

I hate to admit but I felt this way too. But then again, Ged and Alex signed autographs and Neil would not have done that -- so what is he supposed to do, just leave the area and let the other two handle it? That would look awkward too. Idk..

I think that would have been fine. The point was that they were being honored in a way that commemorates them forever. There are only roughly 3,000 others in the history of the world who have a hollywood star. Even if he just stood there and immediately after, departed the location, he should have been there. It is a respect thing. It shows great disrespect to blow it off IMO.

It is done. I think he should issue an apology and explanation. If he doesn't, no biggie, but it does reflect on him. I have a lot of respect for Neil and would defend him forever on the meet & greets and other press appearances, but I can't defend him on this one.

OR if he had written something for Ged or Alex to read to show his appreciation, I'd even accept that too. And perhaps that DID happen?

I think it's pretty safe to say, there was no chance in hell that happened....

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jun 27 2010, 08:13 PM)
Actually, Geddy did NOT say in the documentary that Neil is "an outsider" or "on the outside" or whatever. He said in a clearly joking manner that they still tease Neil about being "the new guy," that after 30 years Neil is still "the new guy." That's not the same thing at all as what you're saying he said. There was no bitterness or resentment in his tone, his manner, or the expression on his face. It's made quite clear in the documentary that Neil is completely accepted and loved by his bandmates for exactly who he is, and at no point in the film do Geddy or Al even hint at the resentment within the band towards Neil that you are implying.

goodpost.gif

As one who has in the past been slightly critical of Neil's stand-offishness, I feel completely at ease with everything hearing his own explanation.

I get where Neil is coming from. And, as others have posted, if you still are bashing him for this, you are free to do so, but I am also free to call you a heartless prick.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jun 27 2010, 09:29 PM)
As one who has in the past been slightly critical of Neil's stand-offishness, I feel completely at ease with everything hearing his own explanation.

I get where Neil is coming from. And, as others have posted, if you still are bashing him for this, you are free to do so, but I am also free to call you a heartless prick.

goodpost.gif

whatever happened to the days when people could hold differing opinions, but still be mature enough to get along? Anyone remember those days? Seems like nowadays it's "if you don't agree with me, you're an idiot and I hate you!"

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 27 2010, 09:34 PM)
whatever happened to the days when people could hold differing opinions, but still be mature enough to get along? Anyone remember those days? Seems like nowadays it's "if you don't agree with me, you're an idiot and I hate you!"

What happened was that the Internet came along! laugh.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 27 2010, 07:34 PM)

yeah, all this name calling is pretty f*ckin stupid......you're an asshole and a hearless prick if you think Neil should crawl out of his hole.....lame.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2010, 07:21 PM)
If you were in a famous band, and some who is a fan of yours, who also happens to be in a famous band, has the chance to meet you, would you seriously call security on the guy? Sorry, but that's just flat out being an asshole, I dont care what kind of mental issues Neil has going on, he didnt need to do that to the dude from Rage, and the guy said it himself in the movie.

Your example from the film shows how totally lame your entire "NP owes us" bullshit argument is.

The dude in the film, a bass player from some band, said: "I would have probably kicked me out too..." Is that your entire argument? That a guy who admits he should have been asked to leave was asked to leave??? Is that all you got???

f**k!

Try to wrap your head around this simple concept -- at a show, NP only has to perform and go home. And he does so much more then that... Anyone who has watched his drumming videos knows how much thought and preparation he puts into each solo...

The idea the NP has to do what you think he should is beyond in-f***ing-sane. It's in-f***ing-stupid...

He's given us so much and you want more??!!

f**k me!!

Do you realize what a total f***ing tool you sound like??

I think what happens is, we all go to work and do our jobs without any fan fare. Where as with musicians, athletes, artists ect. They are held to a higher standard and people idolize them, which is understandable. But a lot of folks expect them to be what they want them to be in there own eyes. We forget that they are everyday people just like you and I. I figure Neil likes to look at himself as the "everyday Joe". Just going out there and doing his job and making a living. JMO. trink39.gif

I can see both sides of the coin on this debate.

I'm trying to understand how Neil decides what events to attend , and what ones he feels aren't worth his time. He went to the " I love you Man " showing right?...So how is that more important than the HWOF?..I am not saying he is a dick, but it is strange that he will do some events, and others, that seemingly are more important, he blows off.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jun 27 2010, 08:36 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 27 2010, 09:34 PM)

What happened was that the Internet came along! laugh.gif

Yeah, its easier to call someone an idiot when you'll never have to meet them. Kinda sad.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 27 2010, 08:34 PM)

Good ole trenken fired the first personal insult in this particular discussion. ohmy.gif

It's really not that important that Neil shows up to these events. I personally don't care. I mean it would be nice, of course, but in the end it's not a big deal.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 27 2010, 08:08 PM)
all i care about is the music. i may not like everything they do but i certainly don't care about any awards they get, what they like for breakfast, favorite shaving cream, or what they like on their hamburgers. if you do you're not busy enough with your own life.

Thank you.

Exactly.

It was a perfect explanation and I completely understand. I have no problem with his embarrassment. If he were arrogant about it, that would be another story. I completely respect him and his honesty. A rare thing in the music business.

Archived