RUSH Reissues confirmed for 2011!

rtrushfan

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God help them if they screw up remastering Hemispheres.

They'll see 6'0"/140 pounds of angry me coming at them with bladed weaponry if they do. >:[

Well, since every one of my CD's has at least one track that's F'd up, (consistently my favorite track) I'd welcome a remastered release of the catalogue. VT would particularly benefit.

Steven Wilson did a good job with the King Crimson material. He has been pretty outspoken on the evils of compression commonly used in the recording industry that destroy the dynamic range and overall quality of the recordings. Unfortunately Rush has been hit extremely hard with this business practice with all of their later releases. I say this, because it is business men that make these decisions, not the artists.

If the rumor of Steve Wilsons involvement is true, then this is great news indeed, as I know and trust his work. My last Rush purchase was Retrospective 3 and it was a huge disappointment. That proved to me the direction their current management team was going, and it was not a good place. The worst part about R3 was that they took previously well recorded songs and pumped up their gain so much as to completely clip and saturate their digital waveforms. In other words, they brought them way down to the horrible benchmark set with VT.

Here is a link to a previous discussion about this and an example of how they destroyed the song Presto.

R3 Discussion

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Aug 9 2010, 05:52 PM)
How do you remaster remasters? Are they just going to be LOUDER to make them sound more "modern"?

Ideally remastering is supposed to make the quality better, but often that is not the case. It is used more as a marketing ploy to pump out a louder version of the material. With a digital recording there is only so much bandwidth available and when you make it louder something has to give. That something is the dynamic range, the difference between the loudest and softest passages in the music, because the peaks get clipped off. The is what happened to VT and R3 and so on.

The proper way to remaster is by using the best technology available to actually improve on the quality of the transfer from the studio master and not any previously remastered versions. Raising the gain is never a good thing. A good general rule of thumb is that the louder the recording, the lower the fidelity.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 27 2010, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ May 27 2010, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 27 2010, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 27 2010, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 27 2010, 12:40 PM)
The Million dollar question everyone will be asking is...

Will Vapor Trails be included in this????

I hope so. It would be VT's best bet to finally go gold! biggrin.gif

Remix it, remaster it, do whatever - it will still be their BEST album by a very wide margin. Ok, I'll be quiet now. ph34r.gif

FIXED

Best album? You're joking, right? I swear there must be two versions of that album out there as I've never heard the version some people are listening to. facepalm.gif

Even simpletons who don't host a dinky www radio show have opinions and taste that aren't always going to jive with your bullheadedness.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 9 2011, 05:45 AM)

Remix it, remaster it, do whatever - it will still be their BEST album by a very wide margin. Ok, I'll be quiet now. ph34r.gif

FIXED

Best album? You're joking, right? I swear there must be two versions of that album out there as I've never heard the version some people are listening to. facepalm.gif

Even simpletons who don't host a dinky www radio show have opinions and taste that aren't always going to jive with your bullheadedness.

http://www.lakeorioleranch.com/pics/bull_head_sm.gif

If they don't have an extra disk with unreleased stuff [live songs, vids] they can suck it . Another cash grab . Let's Remaster the Remasters . Silly

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 9 2011, 02:25 PM)
If they don't have an extra disk with unreleased stuff [live songs, vids] they can suck it . Another cash grab . Let's Remaster the Remasters . Silly

Agreed, the 1997 ones are good enough for me. This new reissue of Moving Pictures for instance sounds no better then the 1997 version.

It COULD just be that the technology is better to the degree that they could be improvements over the original remasters. I mean, it seems major groups like this go through reissues and re-remasters every several years.

What I sincerely hope we DON'T get is remixes. Those are just always an awful idea - make the existing music sound better, but don't f*ck with the music itself. If you didn't get it right the first time, it's too late.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 9 2011, 05:45 AM)

FIXED

oh snap laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2011, 07:50 PM)
It COULD just be that the technology is better to the degree that they could be improvements over the original remasters. I mean, it seems major groups like this go through reissues and re-remasters every several years.

What I sincerely hope we DON'T get is remixes. Those are just always an awful idea - make the existing music sound better, but don't f*ck with the music itself. If you didn't get it right the first time, it's too late.

Look at it this way Goobs...a remix gets made...it WONT ERASE THE ORIGINAL. Don't want the remix? Don't buy it. You'll always have the staticy crap version of Vapor Trails that you hate. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 9 2011, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2011, 07:50 PM)
It COULD just be that the technology is better to the degree that they could be improvements over the original remasters.  I mean, it seems major groups like this go through reissues and re-remasters every several years.

What I sincerely hope we DON'T get is remixes.  Those are just always an awful idea - make the existing music sound better, but don't f*ck with the music itself.  If you didn't get it right the first time, it's too late.

Look at it this way Goobs...a remix gets made...it WONT ERASE THE ORIGINAL. Don't want the remix? Don't buy it. You'll always have the staticy crap version of Vapor Trails that you hate. smile.gif

i wasn't even talking about that album, which cannot be improved. you have to have something underneath to work with.

I'm just hoping they release some vinyl boxsets. I know it will probably never happen but it would be incredible.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 9 2011, 04:37 PM)

Agreed, the 1997 ones are good enough for me. This new reissue of Moving Pictures for instance sounds no better then the 1997 version.

Same. I don't quite understand why people hate the remasters so much. I find some songs are too loud, but that's about it. The retrospect albums are horrible on the other hand.

The only remaster I'll be looking at is VT. I love the remixes of OLV and Earthshine and I'm looking forward to what they'll put out with the rest of the album.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ May 10 2011, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 9 2011, 04:37 PM)

Same. I don't quite understand why people hate the remasters so much. I find some songs are too loud, but that's about it. The retrospect albums are horrible on the other hand.

The only remaster I'll be looking at is VT. I love the remixes of OLV and Earthshine and I'm looking forward to what they'll put out with the rest of the album.

062802puke_prv.gif

REMASTER it, but for f**k's sake don't remix it!

I hope to God this is true. If Pink Floyd can remaster and reissue their 14 studio albums, Rush can do the same for the studio albums they've released as well. Someone call Terry right now.

I would definitely buy a box set of 5.1 remasters. I'm VERY happy with the Genesis box sets and if they do as well as those, I'll be quite happy. cool.gif