'La Villa' by 1-0-0-1 and Cyg

Thanks all for the kind words!

I think the criticism is funny only because Jim and I are our own worst critics. I don't know how many times both of us threatened to re-record the entirety of our tracks only to be coaxed back to reality by the other. Another reason we took so long to finish. Soon the mantra became "Get it done!"

Another point of view that I hold for my own recordings is that we didn't make this for people to listen to. We made for us to do it. There is a clear distinction to me. We didn't have to share, but we chose to. It takes a certain amount of courage, balls, and/or stupidity to release such a recording of a well known track, especially by a band that has fanboys that put Star Wars geeks and Trekkies (or Trekkors) to shame with the microscopic analyzation of each minute aspect.

I listen to the end result and giggle because when I first heard this song it was beyond my capabilities. Granted, I was probably 12 at the time. As a lifelong drummer I get a little Han Solo and amaze myself that I can play bass (and keyboards) well enough to emulate Geddy's style to whatever degree. Having played this live with my tribute band so many times is what allowed me to feel comfortable enough to record it myself. But the real fun for me is the process. I enjoy recording and working with someone else. I work alone in the studio so much that interaction is key. It made me wish that we weren't on two different coasts. Perhaps we will do some future original tracks. This was to establish a methodology, which worked despite the time we took to do it. As well as the fact that we recoded this in our own home studios without the benefit of a control room or extra engineer.

I really am enjoying the "online" projects.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds good guys! who did the bass parts?

edited to say nevermind smile.gif good job Cygnus

Edited by Rushman14

That would be me. I did the drums, bass and keys.

Damn! I knew we were missing something. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 20 2010, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 20 2010, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 20 2010, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 20 2010, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 20 2010, 07:07 AM)
The guitar tone leaves a ton to be desired but all in all the guitar work isn't horrible. The second solo is not really close but you have the feel for the song (the ascending run in the first solo - well done) and that's all that matters.

wtf.gif

Who the fudge does this guy think he is? no.gif

A guitarist of 32 years who learned and plays every RUSH song ever recorded between 1974-1982 twice a month and has done so for about 2 years now? That guy.....

I never said it was bad. I just don't really care for the Strat tone at all.

Well, I've heard your tone with the Hamer etc...and it ain't this creamy IMO.

To come out of left field with

"tone leaves a ton to be desired"

"guitar work isn't horrible" and

"solo is not really close"

on something these guys worked pretty hard on, and sounds great to me....better be coming from Mr. Lifeson himself (which you ain't).

Not to mention they said they were not going for an exact reproduction, used les pauls on parts, etc..

The second solo is suppose to be chaotic and random in it's style, that was the original intent of the song, and I enjoyed the fact that it was not a note for note boring performance. Anyone can play something note for note and nobody will ever remember it...the solos I hear live that I love are the ones that use some creative license in the context of the original solo that makes you say, wow that was cool. He took some risks.

You really should lighten up there, Francis.

wacko.gif

Lighten up? I read this post, gave my honest opinion of it to the person who recorded it of whom I've come to respect in the past year or so now even moreso due to this and now I am Francis?

You seem to be a tad more red-assed than me because I gave an honest opinion that was obviously contrary to your own. My tone isn't supposed to be "creamy". Not even sure what that even means really.

Look at the part where I told him he did a good job before having any more hissy fits. Regardless, I stand by my assessment 100%.

Not horrible. Not great. But decent.

As far as the issuance of "creative liscence" all I can say it is far harder to play these songs note-for-note than to do whatever you think "sounds cool". In this forum that works - playing out in front of paying RUSH fans is almost suicidal.

Fair enough?

Dude, there are 200+ Rush tribute bands...most of them playing in front of less than 50 or 100 people per show....are you trying to make some sort of statement that yours is the best tribute band, and you are the best Lifeson in the country or something? really? And if so, would anybody here really care or believe you anyway?

Watch the red carpet interviews for the opening night of the new documentary when the guy says the cameraman was a guitar player in a rush tribute band...you can tell Alex couldn't have given a crap less.

The reason people like Rush is because they are creative and original.

Alex often said he uses La Villa to "wail" and not play the same old solo night after night (which he does on every other song)..which is why there are so many versions of La Villa. Perhaps 1001 was just channeling some of that same creativity, did you ever consider that?

You can give your opinion etc, you don't like it whatever that's fine, but your comments read very pompous to me. 062802puke_prv.gif

Do you have to sign up for an account @ Megaupload? I enter the 4 digit code and it sends me to an advertisement.

Ahh, listening now, operator error, I wasn't waiting the 30 seconds or so...

Edited again to add, That was f'n awesome! Projects like this are awesome, the individual parts recorded separately and them mixed together are fantastic, it sounds like you were in the same studio together! More, more, more!!!

Edited by Drumnut

QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 21 2010, 01:27 AM)
Do you have to sign up for an account @ Megaupload? I enter the 4 digit code and it sends me to an advertisement.

No, you don't need an account. Type the code exactly as it's written -- I think it's case-sensitive.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 20 2010, 11:24 PM)
As far as the issuance of "creative liscence" all I can say it is far harder to play these songs note-for-note than to do whatever you think "sounds cool".

Alex often said he uses La Villa to "wail" and not play the same old solo night after night (which he does on every other song)..which is why there are so many versions of La Villa. Perhaps 1001 was just channeling some of that same creativity, did you ever consider that?

CoR, if you're criticizing me because you feel I took some creative license with these solos, please go back and read my earlier posts. Except for one run in the second solo (7:01-7:03), both solos and the intro are based on Alex's solos -- different versions of them. Listen to "La Villa" on Hemispheres, ESL and RIR and you'll recognize all the parts of my solos.

I know the full Hemispheres versions of those two solos and could have played them that way to satisfy the fanboys out there -- it would have been easier to play them that way -- but I wanted to be creative and have some fun mashing up a few different versions. If that's not your thing, that's cool. But it was fun for me to construct those solos that way -- it's a way to be creative, yet still be faithful to the way Alex plays them.

If we had recorded "Tom Sawyer" or "Between The Wheels," then I would have played the solos the same as the studio versions, because those solos are made to be played that way night after night. As jdouglas said, that's not the case with "La Villa." With these solos, Alex follows the same blueprint every time, but improvises inside of that. That's what he does with these solos every time he plays them live. I was simply following Alex's lead.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 20 2010, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 21 2010, 01:27 AM)

No, you don't need an account. Type the code exactly as it's written -- I think it's case-sensitive.

Got it, operator error. doh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 20 2010, 10:53 PM)
As far as the issuance of "creative liscence" all I can say it is far harder to play these songs note-for-note than to do whatever you think "sounds cool".

CoR, if you're criticizing me because you feel I took some creative license with these solos, please go back and read my earlier posts. Except for one run in the second solo (7:01-7:03), both solos and the intro are based on Alex's solos -- different versions of them. Listen to "La Villa" on Hemispheres, ESL and RIR and you'll recognize all the parts of my solos.

I know the full Hemispheres versions of those two solos and could have played them that way to satisfy the fanboys out there -- it would have been easier to play them that way -- but I wanted to be creative and have some fun mashing up a few different versions. If that's not your thing, that's cool. But it was fun for me to construct those solos that way -- it's a way to be creative, yet still be faithful to the way Alex plays them.

If we had recorded "Tom Sawyer" or "Between The Wheels," then I would have played the solos the same as the studio versions, because those solos are made to be played that way night after night. As jdouglas said, that's not the case with "La Villa." With these solos, Alex follows the same blueprint every time, but improvises inside of that. That's what he does with these solos every time he plays them live. I was simply following Alex's lead.

Me... I am a Trekkor, not a Trekkie. I prefer Picard to Kirk. pokey.gif

No need to defend yourself. You know what you did and why. Who gives a f*** what anybody but me thinks anyway?

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ May 21 2010, 02:57 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 20 2010, 10:53 PM)

Me... I am a Trekkor, not a Trekkie. I prefer Picard to Kirk. pokey.gif

No need to defend yourself. You know what you did and why. Who gives a f*** what anybody but me thinks anyway?

I don't even give a f**k what YOU think! smash.gif

tongue.gif

playing out in front of paying RUSH fans is almost suicidal.

Fair enough?

btw, CoR...I just clicked on your website and I counted 7 total booked gigs for this entire year, that's not every 2 weeks in my book..and they are all small bars in local IL. Darn I say dive bars.

According to the bar websites, some bands charge a $5 or $10 cover, you had no cover at the Ballydoyle listed. Also below is the stage at the Time out West from their facebook page you just played in May...kinda small aint it?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs030.snc1/2657_61365522804_58874212804_2083571_697903_n.jpg

And I'm not sure, but one venue sure looks like a pizza joint to me.

How you like that honest criticism now?

I normally don't judge people at all, and think any band that is playing out and can grab an audience is doing great, but it you are going to dish it out well then you are gonna get it in return.

Just got a chance to listen.

Amazing....as I suspected it would be.

I've heard you both play live so I knew this was going to sound great.

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Insanely good performances. Yes, the guitar tone at times is a bit "Boston-ish", but the skill of the playing more than makes up for that.

Guys, I think it sounds great!

I've played the song about a million times myself and have also done a few of the long distance recording projects and I can say that neither is an easy task.

I have respect for anyone who can play this stuff.

As far as the tone criticism, listen to Alex's tone over the 30+ years since he first recorded this song. There's the 355 tone, the Strat tone, the Les Paul tone, the Howard Roberts tone, the Signature tone, the PRS tone, etc. Then you have to account for the amp. Marshall? Hiwatt? G-K? H&K? See my point?

There is no one tone to use to nail this tune. I think the tone used for this version was fine and perfectly in line with some of the many tones used by Alex.

Great job guys!!

I'll throw out my version of the 355 tone for any critics out there.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 21 2010, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (_pete_ @ May 21 2010, 07:02 PM)
I'll throw out my version of the 355 tone for any critics out there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhjvo5NNfO8

Yeah, I have a criticism!

Where the heck is the rest of that video? Still in FL? This is turning into a 3 year project too. tongue.gif

Yes, I'd love to see that whole show! 1022.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

btw, since this is turning into the caring is sharing thread, here is me playing the Hard Rock Cafe on the Atlantic City boardwalk on Cinco de Mayo 2010. Was a blast of a show (Sorry no Rush, and yes that is a Paramore t-shirt ha). tongue.gif

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7113/bspac3.jpg

Gear pictured:

- Fender American Mahogany Deluxe with Texas Special neck, Fat 50 middle, Dimarzio Andy Timmons AT-1 Bridge.

- Xotic BB+ preamp split stereo into:

- Mesa F-30 mic'd (with Digitech RP500 in Loop)

- Marshall JTM60 stack mic'd (TC Nova System in Loop)

I finally got to listen, and it's amazing, Jims. No less than I expected of course.

You guys are awesome. <---- expert opinion yes.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 22 2010, 04:08 AM)
yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

btw, since this is turning into the caring is sharing thread, here is me playing the Hard Rock Cafe on the Atlantic City boardwalk on Cinco de Mayo 2010. Was a blast of a show (Sorry no Rush, and yes that is a Paramore t-shirt ha). tongue.gif

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7113/bspac3.jpg

Gear pictured:
- Fender American Mahogany Deluxe with Texas Special neck, Fat 50 middle, Dimarzio Andy Timmons AT-1 Bridge.
- Xotic BB+ preamp split stereo into:
- Mesa F-30 mic'd (with Digitech RP500 in Loop)
- Marshall JTM60 stack mic'd (TC Nova System in Loop)

Dang that looks fun! I want to do that club thing some day. How do you like that RP500? I was really close to getting it before opting for the Floor Pod Plus (which I love, by the way).