'La Villa' by 1-0-0-1 and Cyg

Well, some of you may have known, but many did not, that sometime after R30 (Yes, that long ago... Rush has toured twice since then) us two Jims, 1-0-0-1 and myself, decided to do a coast to coast recording project, as a trial for fun. This was before the TRF Musicians album was proposed. When that came to light we decided to keep our project on the down low because we were attempting to tackle a monster... La Villa.

I did the drum tracks so long ago that I have upgraded my recording rig twice since!

Jim and I met in Vegas for the first leg S&A show and I came equipped with DVDs full of drum, bass, and keyboard tracks as well as my session data and handed them off to Jim in the LV airport as we departed Sin City for our respective home states.

We were both rather busy and time just kept going by. I would occasionally get PMs stating that someone was close to recording rhythm guitars. Then I got them months later. Same thing for the solos. I think I finally got the final solo delivery about 7 months to a year ago. Maybe a bit more. Then it was time to mix. I had to do this between delivering a couple of different game projects then I delayed further as I was having new edit suites built at my office and I wanted to mix in that environment. That proved a challenge in itself, getting the room and gear tuned. Because I work in Sound Effects my work needs are different than if I made music all the time, and that showed a bit in the mix.

We had intended from the outset to ask launch to help out with mastering the track, because that is one of the things he does, and well I might add. We got that from him a couple months ago. But Mr. Digits and I were hearing things, or not hearing things in some respects. Then after thinking and listening, and thinking too much it became clear that when listening to other commercially produced material we decided that what we weren't hearing was the warmth of the analog realm. No matter how good we thought the track was, it was still very digital sounding. So I broke out my old 4 track tape machine and ran the mastered track through the analog process; recording the digital track to analog tape then digitizing the result. And voila.... Here we are today (or tonight, or this morning depending where you are).

It is our version, not necessarily the Hemispheres version, nor the ESL, nor any other. It is far from perfect. Just me and Jim having some fun. I played drums, bass, and keys. The bass was recorded into a Millennia preamp straight into ProTools back in my old office at Activision. The drums were done at my old place and the keys were done at a couple places. Jim did the guitars at his place in NY and launch did his bit in Az.

You can download the file here to listen: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I8ERFN88

It is a Windows Media Audio file so it should be player friendly. I tried to put it up at TRF but that was unavailable.

We hope you like it.

smile.gif

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mr. Digits"? huh.gif

This was a fun, if not humbling experience. It was my first ever "serious" recording project, and in spots, it shows. It took me a while after Cyg gave me his tracks to get my recording gear set up and tweaked before I started getting usable tones recorded.

The double-tracked rhythm tracks and the second solo were recorded a long while back with my Les Paul and Marshall JCM900. I am not happy with those guitar tones now. Too Boston-ish. But it was all I had to work with at the time. I just think those tracks sound kinda cold and bland, but I'll live with it. The intro and first solo were recorded almost a year ago, and were done with my Strat and Bogner Ecstasy. Those tones are better, but I didn't have the amp tubed up and dialed in nearly as good as I do now.

Again, I'd love to do those rhythm tracks over. I really don't like the tone there. In the 3+ years since they were done pretty much all my gear -- recording and guitars and amp -- have been upgraded. Maybe someday I'll re-do one of the rhythm tracks and mix it in.

I like the old school live intro. My drummer and I always go back and forth on that. He always wants the "classical album quality intro" and I much prefer the "electric metalish intro" ala:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4gtkO--kA

Best La Villa video ever.

The guitar tone leaves a ton to be desired but all in all the guitar work isn't horrible. The second solo is not really close but you have the feel for the song (the ascending run in the first solo - well done) and that's all that matters.

Not too shabby boys!

Any more?

More?!?!?!?!

It took us more than 3 years to do this! What procrastination will do for ya... smile.gif

The Ecstasy sounds great, nice and beefy....and you nailed the pickslide which always makes me very happy. smile.gif

Very interesting about the digital to analog to digital conversion. I'd love to hear a min sample A/B'ed so we can hear the difference.

Great work. Worth the 3 year wait. 2.gif

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 20 2010, 08:07 AM)
The second solo is not really close but....

Actually, the second solo is pretty "close" if you realize it's a mashup of different versions Alex has done over the years, mainly Hemispheres, ESL and RIR. I took some liberty with one run, but the rest of it is based directly on Alex's solos. There's a lot of his RIR solo in there. The main solo has elements of different Alex solos too. Of course, it's entirely possible that my playing didn't convey that very well.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 20 2010, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 20 2010, 08:07 AM)
The second solo is not really close but....

Actually, the second solo is pretty "close" if you realize it's a mashup of different versions Alex has done over the years, mainly Hemispheres, ESL and RIR. I took some liberty with one run, but the rest of it is based directly on Alex's solos. There's a lot of his RIR solo in there. The main solo has elements of different Alex solos too.

I run into that all the time as well. He plays things so differently from performance to performance - it'll drive you nuts trying to come up with a version that suits everyone. I just base what I play live on that video I posted.

I have to say you were money on the first solo ascending run again. A lot of people have a really hard time with that one. It's the ballgame of you ask me. The rest is pretty easy.

Also, judging by how bad I played it last Saturday night I really have nothing to say at all about it. Worse. Version. Ever.

It was like I never played the song before.....

Hello Guitar - have we met?

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 20 2010, 07:07 AM)
The guitar tone leaves a ton to be desired but all in all the guitar work isn't horrible. The second solo is not really close but you have the feel for the song (the ascending run in the first solo - well done) and that's all that matters.

wtf.gif

Who the fudge does this guy think he is? no.gif

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 20 2010, 12:38 PM)

wtf.gif

A guitarist of 32 years who learned and plays every RUSH song ever recorded between 1974-1982 twice a month and has done so for about 2 years now? That guy.....

I never said it was bad. I just don't really care for the Strat tone at all.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 20 2010, 03:25 PM)

wtf.gif

A guitarist of 32 years who learned and plays every RUSH song ever recorded between 1974-1982 twice a month and has done so for about 2 years now? That guy.....

The majority of the song was recorded three years ago with a Gibson Les Paul. It's a nice-sounding guitar, but it was paired with a JCM900, and while it's a great amp for doing '90s metal, it's not the best amp in the world for doing Rush music. Plus, my recording gear was primitive back then.

If I had time I'd do the rhythm tracks and second solo over, but the fact that this took three years to get done shows what little spare time me and Cyg have.

Only the intro and main solo were done with the Strat, and it has a humbucker in the bridge. The tone of the intro is a little weird, but I was still getting to know the Bogner at that point. The main solo was the last thing I recorded, and IMO it probably has the best guitar tone on the whole song.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 20 2010, 12:25 PM)
I just don't really care for the Strat tone at all.

Dude, in the video on your website aren't you playing a Charvel or a Jackson? A strat sounds more like Rush than either of those chainsaw sounding guitars. At any rate, I can at least "hear all the notes" on these guys recording. Just sayin' man.

Cyg and 1-0-0, I like the La Villa recording guys. Sounds great, great playing. Nice work all around.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 20 2010, 02:25 PM)

wtf.gif

Well, I've heard your tone with the Hamer etc...and it ain't this creamy IMO.

To come out of left field with

"tone leaves a ton to be desired"

"guitar work isn't horrible" and

"solo is not really close"

on something these guys worked pretty hard on, and sounds great to me....better be coming from Mr. Lifeson himself (which you ain't).

Not to mention they said they were not going for an exact reproduction, used les pauls on parts, etc..

The second solo is suppose to be chaotic and random in it's style, that was the original intent of the song, and I enjoyed the fact that it was not a note for note boring performance. Anyone can play something note for note and nobody will ever remember it...the solos I hear live that I love are the ones that use some creative license in the context of the original solo that makes you say, wow that was cool. He took some risks.

You really should lighten up there, Francis.

wacko.gif

That was kick-ass! I'm holding up my lighter as I type! Kudos to both of you!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 20 2010, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 20 2010, 03:57 PM)
Cyg and 1-0-0, I like the La Villa recording guys. Sounds great, great playing. Nice work all around.

Thanks for all the help on this, and the mastering! trink39.gif

You're more than welcome. Although I feel it needs more low end now. laugh.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 20 2010, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 20 2010, 02:25 PM)

wtf.gif

Well, I've heard your tone with the Hamer etc...and it ain't this creamy IMO.

To come out of left field with

"tone leaves a ton to be desired"

"guitar work isn't horrible" and

"solo is not really close"

on something these guys worked pretty hard on, and sounds great to me....better be coming from Mr. Lifeson himself (which you ain't).

Not to mention they said they were not going for an exact reproduction, used les pauls on parts, etc..

The second solo is suppose to be chaotic and random in it's style, that was the original intent of the song, and I enjoyed the fact that it was not a note for note boring performance. Anyone can play something note for note and nobody will ever remember it...the solos I hear live that I love are the ones that use some creative license in the context of the original solo that makes you say, wow that was cool. He took some risks.

You really should lighten up there, Francis.

wacko.gif

Lighten up? I read this post, gave my honest opinion of it to the person who recorded it of whom I've come to respect in the past year or so now even moreso due to this and now I am Francis?

You seem to be a tad more red-assed than me because I gave an honest opinion that was obviously contrary to your own. My tone isn't supposed to be "creamy". Not even sure what that even means really.

Look at the part where I told him he did a good job before having any more hissy fits. Regardless, I stand by my assessment 100%.

Not horrible. Not great. But decent.

As far as the issuance of "creative liscence" all I can say it is far harder to play these songs note-for-note than to do whatever you think "sounds cool". In this forum that works - playing out in front of paying RUSH fans is almost suicidal.

Fair enough?

You know what, dude?

I'm not a musician - but it seems to me that you could've easily passed along your informative insights with a touch more class and general goodwill.

Nobody's arguing that you're not a talented person, but c'mon. Why be antagonistic on purpose? These two guys are very talented and cool people, and they deserve better.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 20 2010, 03:59 PM)
You know what, dude?

I'm not a musician - but it seems to me that you could've easily passed along your informative insights with a touch more class and general goodwill.

Nobody's arguing that you're not a talented person, but c'mon. Why be antagonistic on purpose? These two guys are very talented and cool people, and they deserve better.

Yeah, that.