'La Villa' by 1-0-0-1 and Cyg

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 22 2010, 12:42 AM)
QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 21 2010, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (_pete_ @ May 21 2010, 07:02 PM)
I'll throw out my version of the 355 tone for any critics out there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhjvo5NNfO8

Yeah, I have a criticism!

Where the heck is the rest of that video? Still in FL? This is turning into a 3 year project too. tongue.gif

Yes, I'd love to see that whole show! 1022.gif

So would I!

I think the master copy is still with our light guy in Fla (he had a heart attack a few weeks ago but is doing ok).

Next time I talk to the guys I'll see if I can find out if I can get a copy of the video.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ May 22 2010, 08:39 AM)
Dang that looks fun! I want to do that club thing some day. How do you like that RP500? I was really close to getting it before opting for the Floor Pod Plus (which I love, by the way).

I keep trying to take it out of the rig, and it keeps working its way back in because the chorus and delay are excellent (better than my stand alone pedals, on par with the TC but slightly different). The Volume/Wah is the added bonus of why I keep it around. I have it on direct/direct so it bypasses all the amp sims, but some of them are very good.

The people who use the RP1000 out-number all the the Boss Gt10, line 6, zoom, vox folks etc like 2-1 in the MFX expert forums I chat in. It's no Axe-FX, or even GSP1101, but it's probably the best sounding "mid-level" pedal.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ May 20 2010, 06:50 PM)
Another point of view that I hold for my own recordings is that we didn't make this for people to listen to. We made for us to do it. There is a clear distinction to me.

yes.gif applaudit.gif

I couldn't agree more!!!

You know there were times I had forgotten I wasn't listening to Hemispheres. It just flowed into being La Villa. Very cool.

To jdouglas:

You know - we've played about 36 shows in the past year and a half. Some good venues - some not so good. It's just what you have to do to get the word out.

We are booked for the rest of the year at this point and the establishments that list no cover are contracted gigs. Playing Ballydoyle is awesome.

Here's what Time Out West looked like after we errected the war machine:

http://chroniclesofrush.com/gallery/37/18.png

Hardly huge. But not small. Very odd room.

As far as "dishing it out" believe me when I say I'm with Egg on this one. I could care less what anyone thinks about anything I do. I am in the process of mixing 5 live tracks from a show back in August. When I post them I expect you to tell me EXACTLY what you think and nothing less.

Just spare me the whole "man great job errereeeer" crap. If it sucks say it. Honesty is always the best thing in my book.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 27 2010, 02:33 PM)
To jdouglas:

Just spare me the whole "man great job errereeeer" crap. If it sucks say it. Honesty is always the best thing in my book.

I did listen to a live version you guys did of Bytor a few months back.

I thought it was an enjoyable listen, the guitar tone was a bit "triple rectifier" sounding for my taste, but that's just what I prefer..good for the Foo Fighters, not for Lifeson; but I know how those live recording devices all suck so I pretty much chalked it up to that. 1001 tone had the highs rolled off much smoother, which I prefer, that's what I meant by "creamy" overdrive, but his was also studio work, not live so it's not apples/apples comparison.

The bytor solo was good, not note for note by the record, but I wouldn't expect it to be, that's another song were as long as you hit the key phases and you have fun ripping it's good by me. You took some liberties with the wah that I thought we kinda cool, gotta go with the flow, I understand that.

You know, going back and listening to the old bootlegs from the 70s even Lifeson doesn't sound like the record (which are all at least triple layered), so I'm not one for being a snob or fanboy about such things. Even when I played in a tribute band I didn't take it as seriously as most of you folks do; I was just in it for the fun (cause the money sucked). My then live-in girlfriend had a strict "no crapload of gear" policy, so I played direct to the house PA from a MFX. rofl3.gif but I didn't really care at the time, It was just some fun on a saturday night for me. Now I own almost every authentic piece of his gear from his 1980 rig (less the CE1) and I've never even put it all together to see "how much I could sound like Lifeson" go figure. wacko.gif

You might be booked for the rest of the year, I just went off the gigs listed on your website. Good luck with those gigs.

2.gif

Edited by jdouglas

Well I think it is pretty damn good.

73 let me hear this a little while ago and I thought it was great then. My opinion hasn't changed.

I find it a little odd that someone would criticise it because there are variations in both notes and tone from the record when not only has Lerxt played this song live with several different rigs over the years giving different tones, he never plays the same solo note for note twice in a row. There is always a measure of improvisation in there somewhere.

In any case, what would have been the point of trying to slavishly duplicate the "original" tone? If I want to hear that i can pop hemispheres in my CD Player any time I like. it's good to hear someone else's personality stamped on it.

Nice job guys and a big thumbs up from me. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 31 2010, 03:00 PM)

I find it a little odd that someone would criticise it because there are variations in both notes and tone from the record when not only has Lerxt played this song live with several different rigs over the years giving different tones, he never plays the same solo note for note twice in a row. There is always a measure of improvisation in there somewhere.

In any case, what would have been the point of trying to slavishly duplicate the "original" tone? If I want to hear that i can pop hemispheres in my CD Player any time I like. it's good to hear someone else's personality stamped on it.

I don't think anyone here is really nit picky or over-critisizng it. People have different tastes, maybe their vision of how to make it sound cool is different from the makers. Besides, don't knock anyone for critisizing then the maker encouraged and welcomed critisism in the first place.

I for one strive to play every note exactly how Alex plays on his recordings. To improvise in a solo wouldn't seem like a challenge or an accomplishment. Alex has stated that he doesn't go for improvisation... He has said he likes to play it how it sounds on the record - because that's what the fans want to hear. So, you are wrong on your improvisation statement. The only thing that comes to mind that I think I've heard him mix up is the reggae part on The Spirit of Radio.

As for the tone, the same thing goes. I try and try to match Alex's tones. It is difficult. It is a challenge. It is fun. If I made a recording, I would be try to nail the tone as well as the notes. Although it could never be perfect, I might be able to congratulate myself for giving it my best shot.

QUOTE (SignatureAurora75 @ Jun 2 2010, 07:56 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ May 31 2010, 03:00 PM)

I don't think anyone here is really nit picky or over-critisizng it. People have different tastes, maybe their vision of how to make it sound cool is different from the makers. Besides, don't knock anyone for critisizing then the maker encouraged and welcomed critisism in the first place.

I for one strive to play every note exactly how Alex plays on his recordings. To improvise in a solo wouldn't seem like a challenge or an accomplishment. Alex has stated that he doesn't go for improvisation... He has said he likes to play it how it sounds on the record - because that's what the fans want to hear. So, you are wrong on your improvisation statement. The only thing that comes to mind that I think I've heard him mix up is the reggae part on The Spirit of Radio.

As for the tone, the same thing goes. I try and try to match Alex's tones. It is difficult. It is a challenge. It is fun. If I made a recording, I would be try to nail the tone as well as the notes. Although it could never be perfect, I might be able to congratulate myself for giving it my best shot.

I'm not having a go at anyone for criticising it, but some of the comments are nit-picky indeed and quite unneccessary. Constructive criticism is fine, but pulling something down for silly reasons are not.

And it doesn't matter what Alex says about improvisation (though I personally haven't heard that statement). The evidence is right in front of us in numerous recordings, videos . bootlegs etc. he hardly ever plays the exact same thing twice.

Now whewther that is because he is improvising, or whether it is mistakes is really not germane. The fact is, his solos DO vary, and if he can't get it right every time, then it is harsh indeed for someone to criticise another for not doing so.

In any case, 73 made it quite clear that it is a mashup of various live performances lerxt has done, so to say he isn't getting it right you would have to cross-match every section against the recording it is copying.

if you have the time or inclination to do that, then I salute your uber-nerdiness laugh.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 2 2010, 12:51 AM)

if you have the time or inclination to do that, then I salute your uber-nerdiness laugh.gif

yeah haha very funny!

Don't be a pompous prick...

What's wrong with me trying to copy Alex's guitar playing to the T? You've already admitted that he tries to copy himself and play perfect shows, and you've heard his statement about that. I guess he's a nerd too, huh? Christ almighty... what are you 15 years old, looking for an argument just for the sake of arguing? Grow up....

QUOTE (SignatureAurora75 @ Jun 2 2010, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 2 2010, 12:51 AM)

yeah haha very funny!

Don't be a pompous prick...

What's wrong with me trying to copy Alex's guitar playing to the T? You've already admitted that he tries to copy himself and play perfect shows, and you've heard his statement about that. I guess he's a nerd too, huh? Christ almighty... what are you 15 years old, looking for an argument just for the sake of arguing? Grow up....

Ad hominem insults? Nice......

In other words you know you are wrong.

let me try to explain again:

I never admitted he tries to copy himself and play perfect at all,and I'm not sure where you got that. All I said was it wasn't relevant whether he was making mistakes or improvising, the fact is his solos vary from night to night which is an indisputable fact.

I also never said there was anything wrong with you trying to perfectly replicate his solos either, so another big confused13.gif from me here too.

And if pointing out where you are plain wrong is "looking for an argument", then guilty, I must be 15 years old (Oh how I wish that were true wink.gif ).

I don't mean to sound rude here, but if you are going to criticise (and insult) me, then at least be sure of your facts. You've completely misrepresented what I wrote.

Since when is this a competition? I wasn't aware there was a sword-fight in progress to see who could play Alex's solos as close to the record as possible.

I thought people were just recording for the love of the music and to share it with other fans on the board to hear? unsure.gif

Some people are detailed oriented and enjoy the painsaking note for note transcriptions; some folks think copying someone's solos exactly is very limiting to your overall development as a guitar player.

Did you ever hear Alex copying solos....probably not...he's doing his own thing, which I encourage all of you to do (even if your own thing is copying solos....however you feel you are the most creative).

btw, if it is a competition, you ALL lost..._pete_ won years ago so let it go. ha. 2.gif

Geez guys. It's supposed to be fun. Alex can't even get it the same twice in a row in his instructional videos. laugh.gif I've written lots of solos where I go back years later to try and play and think how the hell does this go again, what am I playing there?!

Your LA Villa sounds good. So what if it's not exact to this or that recording.

Where's the love?

Edited by hunter