ARE YOU A FRAUD?

g under p

QUOTE (plodder @ May 20 2010, 08:42 PM)
You can change your partner, divorce your family but you can never change your team. That would be unthinkable. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

This.

I know a guy who changed from Everton(bad enough) to Man U(worse) when we were 11, I've never forgotten it.

No, you're stuck with them once you've made that call. When the moment strikes, there's no going back....Steve Heighway May 1977, black and white TV......that was it. Game over. And as much as I'd drive the current load of gobshites over a cliff, with the manager strapped to the bonnet, I still love the badge, whatever it represents these days...bankrupt Americans' playthings.

I am as big of a sports fan as anybody but people need to get a grip: It's just entertainment, thats all. It's not like you are on the team or have any say at all about who plays or have any power to help a team win or lose. It is just like music or movies or any other form of entertainment: enjoy it, scream and holler, and feel good for a couple hours. Then go home.

I love Rush and about 10 million other bands but I dont care if someone lese likes them or hates them and I sure as heck aint gonna get in a fight over it. And yet, sports fans fight all the time over their teams. Sheer stupidity.

It's fun to talk about sports things, believe me I'm a stats freak, but your personal identity shouldnt be based on and centered around someone's ability to hit a baseball, play a guitar, or act in a movie.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ May 25 2010, 03:10 AM)
I am as big of a sports fan as anybody but people need to get a grip: It's just entertainment, thats all. It's not like you are on the team or have any say at all about who plays or have any power to help a team win or lose. It is just like music or movies or any other form of entertainment: enjoy it, scream and holler, and feel good for a couple hours. Then go home.

I love Rush and about 10 million other bands but I dont care if someone lese likes them or hates them and I sure as heck aint gonna get in a fight over it. And yet, sports fans fight all the time over their teams. Sheer stupidity.

It's fun to talk about sports things, believe me I'm a stats freak, but your personal identity shouldnt be based on and centered around someone's ability to hit a baseball, play a guitar, or act in a movie.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

I root only for the teams I like in each sport and no one else matters. In the Superbowl I pick a team to root for but don't really care. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 25 2010, 04:59 AM)
QUOTE (plodder @ May 20 2010, 08:42 PM)
You can change your partner, divorce your family but you can never change your team. That would be unthinkable. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

This.

I know a guy who changed from Everton(bad enough) to Man U(worse) when we were 11, I've never forgotten it.

No, you're stuck with them once you've made that call. When the moment strikes, there's no going back....Steve Heighway May 1977, black and white TV......that was it. Game over. And as much as I'd drive the current load of gobshites over a cliff, with the manager strapped to the bonnet, I still love the badge, whatever it represents these days...bankrupt Americans' playthings.

Isn't it interesting that the players will play for anyone willing to pay them and go to a hated rival for a little more money but fans feel that it is necessary to believe this? I have no plans on changing allegiances but I won't go to this extreme. Should the fans in St. Louis still root for the Arizona Cardinals if they were fans before they moved? If no, then a fan that moves has every right to start following the local teams imo.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 25 2010, 12:10 AM)
I absolutely think it's okay to pick other teams to root for in the playoffs if your team is out of it, or even to just have another team in the regular season that you enjoy watching that you make an effort to watch when they're on. Milwaukee and Phoenix have been like that for me in the NBA playoffs this year.

Typed out like a true Yankee Fan. tongue.gif

GO RAYS! laugh.gif

NEVER!!!

NFL=Dolphins

College (any sport) =UM

NBA=Heat

Baseball=Marlins (soon will be Miami Marlins)

NHL=Panthers

Born and raised in Miami, I will never forgo my roots.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 25 2010, 11:11 PM)
My brother switched from the Yankees to the Red Sox in 2004. Therefore he cannot be taken seriously as a baseball fan.

That's a Cardinal Sin. Let's flog him!!!

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ May 25 2010, 06:10 AM)

I agree that's you never see me address the teams I root for as WE, or US because I don't own the teams or have any influence on how they perform. I can only cheer them on to some form of victory or oblivion.

Peace

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 25 2010, 02:10 AM)
I absolutely think it's okay to pick other teams to root for in the playoffs if your team is out of it, or even to just have another team in the regular season that you enjoy watching that you make an effort to watch when they're on. Milwaukee and Phoenix have been like that for me in the NBA playoffs this year.

I agree with you.

As an Avalanche fan in the NHL, I used to be a Nordique fan. In the late 80's/early 90's I would switch allegiances every year when we missed the playoffs and cheer for the Caps (of course that seldom lasted long either).

I have my teams, and it's non-negotiable. But I will occasionally root for regional teams if they're likable and my teams are out. Both in college and pro's. I'm not a SW conference style old school hater. There's a reason that thing imploded. Can you say SMU?

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ May 28 2010, 09:24 PM)
I have my teams, and it's non-negotiable. But I will occasionally root for regional teams if they're likable and my teams are out. Both in college and pro's. I'm not a SW conference style old school hater. There's a reason that thing imploded. Can you say SMU?

I'm the same as I'm presently in DC so i root for the Caps/Wiz/Nats as long as they don't affect the Beantown teams. I ca't stand Duke of Notre Dame but i the Lacrosse Championships I had to go with ND ad of course they lost.

However on the women's side the MD Terrapins won over Northeastern......AWESOME!

I got a chuckle out of the Habs -Leafs deal. Bleed your local team or move to the city your rooting for. I can understand people moving due to work conditions and bringing their team with them to that city no problem.

I have read the flip flop of fans through the season praising the high heavens when they are on top and then flushing them down the toilet as soon as they hit a rough patch.

I get a kick out of all the people that have the newest winning team merch as soon as they win a championship and then say they have been fans forever. Sure buddy whatever. Example Dallas Stars when they won their first and only cup all these people here had hats and jerseys at a game in Edmonton. Time to lynch them high to the banner rafters pronto.

Same with all the Sid the kid and the flavor of the day team the Penguins frog hoppers. Can't list more then 4 players on the team but it is their team. dazed025.gif

To piggy on that note the fans that when their team is out jump onto another team left in the race. Oh I understand having a second favorite but when these people yap even more about the second team especially if they win makes me want to 062802puke_prv.gif I would rather not have a team then Calgary winning the cup. Not an option.

I liked the etiquette on when your team wins and friends. Very sound advice. Most love to pour the gas on the fire everyday , all day.

I love when I am getting blamed for knowing about my team and the rest of the league by the pretend fans laziness to do a little homework or just maybe care a little more about their team in general to follow the season rather then armchair chirp.

Last the armchair fans that talk about the days of old and how they went to games yadda yadda yadda but do zero NOW for whatever excuse, not to go to a game but still figure they are the number 1 fan. Sorry does't cut it period. If it is a financial deal then fine you get out of jail free card. Some sports are expensive to go to and no you don't need season tickets eithor.

The funniest part of that reading was the fans saying " we " laugh.gif when talking about their team. hahahaha almost like they are paying the players, in the locker room, and on the road 24-7 . Very entertaining. wink.gif

Edited by silver

Teams I pull for:

NFL - Cleveland Browns

NBA - Cleveland Cavaliers (even if LBJ leaves)

MLB - Cleveland Indians

NHL - Columbus Blue Jackets (no matter how much we suck)

College - Ohio State Buckeyes (and every so often I might pull for the Tennessee Volunteers)

• Like 1

Does anybody else see college football a little bit differently than other sports because of the BCS system? Like, during bowl season it's more of a regional loyalty? I'm a Duck for life, but I always root for all Pac-10 teams in bowl games, even teams like Washington and Oregon State that would be hated rivals during the regular season.

Somehow I think it's completely okay when everybody gets to their own bowl game and nothing they do from there on out can affect what your team does, and you just want to see teams from your conference do well.

Anybody with me?

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 16 2010, 03:42 AM)
Does anybody else see college football a little bit differently than other sports because of the BCS system? Like, during bowl season it's more of a regional loyalty? I'm a Duck for life, but I always root for all Pac-10 teams in bowl games, even teams like Washington and Oregon State that would be hated rivals during the regular season.

Somehow I think it's completely okay when everybody gets to their own bowl game and nothing they do from there on out can affect what your team does, and you just want to see teams from your conference do well.

Anybody with me?

Sooner fan here. Yup, I feel the same way. I even route for Texas and OSU during bowl season...to the chagrin of many of my Sooner friends.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 16 2010, 04:42 AM)

Anybody with me?

I hate Florida and refuse to root for them in their bowl game. LSU, however... I don't hate them as much as I hate Florida, so I'd root for them in a bowl game. Same for Tennessee.

There are three teams that I've been a lifelong fan of: the Georgia Bulldogs (football, but naturally I root for them in other sports), the Atlanta Braves (I've been to more Braves games than any other team in any sport), and the Atlanta Falcons, all because those are teams that my dad is a fan of. My dad's not really a fan of the NBA so I'm pretty much a very casual bandwagon person. (That's going to change, as I've decided to stick with the Celtics for reasons I explained in another thread.)

With Augusta State basketball, I've been going to games for either six or seven years, back when like the attendance averaged under 500 a game. Gradually I've gone to more and more games each year, eventually going to conference playoff games and regional playoff games. I know that during 7th grade they grabbed my heart. They lost a regional playoff game here in Augusta that would have sent them to the regional championship, and I was crying for ten minutes. The next year, we went all the way to the D-II championship game for the first time in school history... and then lost. Regardless, I stuck with the team. The next year, we lost in the Final Four. That was the first year that I went to an out-of-town ASU game; I went to one in North Carolina and one in Savannah.

But it was this year when I joined the Blue Crew, which is the group of people that sits down by the court and makes noise, and that travels to see their team. I joined the crew kind of late in the year (mid-January) on a trip to Valdosta as the #1 team in D-II. Unfortunately, we lost the game... but that made me Blue Crew for Life. We (the Blue Crew) made noise at every game, cheering (well... yelling) for our players and making fun of the refs. We were there when we hosted hated rivals, and then stomped them. We were there for Homecoming, when CBS broadcast the game on national TV. We were there for the edge-of-your-seat game where we nearly got beaten by a mediocre team in a conference playoff game. And, finally, we were there for the last home game of our starters. When the buzzer sounded, I broke down, realizing that even though we won and advanced to the Elite Eight for the third year in a row, that this was their last home game.

Sorry about getting carried away... but what I'm trying to show is the differences in intimacy. With UGA, the Braves, and the Falcons, there are thousands of fans in Augusta, and many more around America. With ASU, there are the several thousand fans, and then the hundred or so that travel and are close with the team and each other. You can't do that shit with the other teams. So while I refer to UGA, the Braves and the Falcons as "we", the one I truly consider "we" is ASU. Not to say that I'd turn my back on UGA, the Braves and the Falcons... I'm a fan for life. But I'm definitely closer to ASU than I am to those three teams. That's really something special - at least, I think it is.

edit: forgot the Red Sox. I'd always kind of liked them as a kid, especially considering how I hated the Yanks, but I pretty much became a fan in '04. Haven't left them since then, don't plan to anytime soon.

Edited by Xanadu93