"I like all genres of music except for Country"

Mr. Not

I HATE IT when people say "I like all genres of music, except for country".. So many people explain their taste in music like that, and it pisses me off!!! Not because I like country, but because it makes no sense!

If you're so open to music that you listen to so many different genres that differ so greatly, then what is it about this one, certain genre that is so bad? I'm guessing half the people who say they like everything but country are just shadowing what someone else said, that or the people saying it just don't listen to much music in general, and only like the smash-hit mainstream sh!t which is why the exclude country, probably being oblivious to other genre's existence..

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they just don't like country confused13.gif Personally, I could never see see how anyone could choose that hippity hop stuff over good ol' George Strait, but whatever floats your boat

Edit:

http://www.mrblackandwhite.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/04/georgestrait.jpg

Yeah!

Never guilty of that one. There are a LOT of genres I not only don't like, but loathe.

Grunge

Rap

most all Top-40 pop shit

whiny-ass angry emo shit

hip-hop

For starters. I actually do like some country music.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 28 2010, 10:08 PM)
Never guilty of that one. There are a LOT of genres I not only don't like, but loathe.

Grunge
Rap
most all Top-40 pop shit
whiny-ass angry emo shit
hip-hop

For starters. I actually do like some country music.

My stance is the same on all of these. I typically don't like country, but I actually can listen to older country music (Dolly Parton) and Johnny Cash is pretty good from what I've heard. I don't like the current country music scene.

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Mar 28 2010, 07:06 PM)
Maybe they just don't like country confused13.gif Personally, I could never see see how anyone could choose that hippity hop stuff over good ol' George Strait, but whatever floats your boat

Knew someone was gonna say this, and maybe they don't, but even then there's far too many people saying they like everything but country for it to be true for every single one of them.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me. I have a rough theory that everyone can take a genre they don't like and find something they do like in the genre. But I guess some people don't want to give it a chance. I gave country a chance, and from sometime when I was in 5th grade through 7th grade, I pretty much listened to nothing but country, and while I rarely do so nowadays I still will listen to an assorted country group or Big and Rich when I feel like it.

I like old country and some rap (mainly just eminem) I like to say there's only two kinds of music. good and bad!

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Mar 28 2010, 10:28 PM)
Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me. I have a rough theory that everyone can take a genre they don't like and find something they do like in the genre. But I guess some people don't want to give it a chance. I gave country a chance, and from sometime when I was in 5th grade through 7th grade, I pretty much listened to nothing but country, and while I rarely do so nowadays I still will listen to an assorted country group or Big and Rich when I feel like it.

I managed a bakery during the first half of the '90's and we always had the radio on. We got so fed up with the same top 40 rotation. . .ugh.

One of the other employees was a big country fan, and she convinced us to give it a shot. Well, okay, at least there was a lot of variety on the playlist.

I ended up liking quite a lot of what I heard.

QUOTE (KennethRush @ Mar 28 2010, 09:01 PM)
I HATE IT when people say "I like all genres of music, except for country".. So many people explain their taste in music like that, and it pisses me off!!! Not because I like country, but because it makes no sense!

If you're so open to music that you listen to so many different genres that differ so greatly, then what is it about this one, certain genre that is so bad? I'm guessing half the people who say they like everything but country are just shadowing what someone else said, that or the people saying it just don't listen to much music in general, and only like the smash-hit mainstream sh!t which is why the exclude country, probably being oblivious to other genre's existence..

I say this, and yes, it's because it sucks so bad! Why does that "make no sense"??

Actually, I say I like everying but country and rap, although I'll listen to some Johnny Cash and some Run-DMC.

I do like country, but mostly old school sh*t kicker barroom country not pop-country, but I dont hate pop country, I just dont prefer it.

I dont mind if somebody says they dont like country but when they tell me they like old 70's southern rock like Lynyrd Skynyd and Allman Bros and Molly Hatchet but dont like old country, I dont get it. Rock and roll came from blues and country, so to like one but not the other confuses me.

I used to not like country but as I got older I "got" it, what it was about and the laid back vibe it has. I like the outdoors; fishing and camping and the like and Metallica and Iron Maiden just doesnt fit well with the laid back outdoorsey feel of fishing and hanging out by a campfire. Country music does. Maybe it's just me.....

I'm not really into pop country, the mass produced cookie cutter shit out of Nashville........not a fan of...

But I like some of the "Alternative Country"/ "Red Dirt" country music that's out there, because it is not strictly country, there are country elements, but with mixes of different generas of music as well, like light rock and folk.

Bands/Artists like

Cross Canadian Ragweed

Todd Snider

Robert Earl Keen (I'm actually seeing REK this coming Saturday)

Larry Joe Taylor (Very Jimmy Buffet-esk)

Randy Rogers Band

Micky and the Motorcars

and so on..........

I also dig some of the Old Outlaw country as well.... Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams.

I just don't dig the Nashville Pop country.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 28 2010, 08:59 PM)

I say this, and yes, it's because it sucks so bad! Why does that "make no sense"??

Actually, I say I like everying but country and rap, although I'll listen to some Johnny Cash and some Run-DMC.

Read the next bit too, I explain why it makes no sense.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 28 2010, 10:07 PM)
"What kind of music do you usually have here?"
"Oh, we got both kinds -- country AND western!"

"4 Fried chickens and a coke"

"you want chicken wings or chicken legs?"

"...4 Fried chickens ...and a coke"

QUOTE (KennethRush @ Mar 28 2010, 11:48 PM)

I did read the next bit, but that's no explanation. It still makes perfect sense to not like country.

By the way, yes, I hate Southern Rock, too. 062802puke_prv.gif

I can lend my ear to any particular genre - from thrash metal to opera; but one thing I hate above all else is pop, especially pop constantly repeated from commercial radio stations. Sometimes their playlists are so linear you can set your watch to when they'll repeat Lady Gaga's latest outpouring.

Oh, I also hate, with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns, folk music. And bluegrass.

Why do all folk singers sound the same, especially the women? The same thin, slightly flat voices off-pitch. I include Joni Mitchell in this, though some will label me a blasphemer for it.

Can't stand country...a honky tonk badunka dunk??? REALLY???

Don't like hip hop, techno, ©rap,or thrash metal.

This girl likes classic rock, current rock, alternative rock and some metal bands. The bands that do the screaming have become a turn-off for me. Just can't listen to 'em like I used to. old.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2010, 06:33 AM)
QUOTE (KennethRush @ Mar 28 2010, 11:48 PM)

I did read the next bit, but that's no explanation. It still makes perfect sense to not like country.

By the way, yes, I hate Southern Rock, too. 062802puke_prv.gif

It makes sense to not like country, but what doesn't make sense is that there's so many people who like everything but country.

Archived