"I like all genres of music except for Country"

Mr. Not

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 29 2010, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 29 2010, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 29 2010, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (KennethRush @ Mar 28 2010, 09:01 PM)
I HATE IT when people say "I like all genres of music, except for country".. So many people explain their taste in music like that, and it pisses me off!!! Not because I like country, but because it makes no sense!

If you're so open to music that you listen to so many different genres that differ so greatly, then what is it about this one, certain genre that is so bad? I'm guessing half the people who say they like everything but country are just shadowing what someone else said, that or the people saying it just don't listen to much music in general, and only like the smash-hit mainstream sh!t which is why the exclude country, probably being oblivious to other genre's existence..

goodpost.gif it makes no sense to single out just country.

Yes it does. Country music is horrible! Hip hop isn't far behind though. wink.gif

You are painting with too broad of a brush IMO, to say all music in any genre sucks.

I am painting with a broad brush, but I've literally heard thousands of country songs (my parents listen to that shit), and I can count the songs that I could tolerate on one hand. When I'm forced to listen to country music, it instantly puts me in a horrible mood. No offense to those who dig country, but it's just not for me.

I listen to very little country on a daily basis. Actually I listen to no country on a daily basis, nor do I listen to rap, funk, bluegrass, jazz, blues or disco on a daily basis but I do like it sometimes.

I can appreciate your comment about being forced to endure country music being played by someone else. that is rough.

Am I the only person at TRF that has attended both a Rap and Country concert?

Finally, a little trivia: what musician known mostly for country music has played on a rush record?

I saw the Beastie Boys in 87 (of my own volition), and my parents dragged me to a John Denver concert in my youth. I needed weeks of counselling after that one just to stop the night terrors. wacko.gif

I like a little John Denver but never really thought of him as country. Maybe he is though. I think he was more folk/pop.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 01:50 PM)
I HATE IT when people say "I like all genres of music, except for country".. So many people explain their taste in music like that, and it pisses me off!!! Not because I like country, but because it makes no sense!

If you're so open to music that you listen to so many different genres that differ so greatly, then what is it about this one, certain genre that is so bad? I'm guessing half the people who say they like everything but country are just shadowing what someone else said, that or the people saying it just don't listen to much music in general, and only like the smash-hit mainstream sh!t which is why the exclude country, probably being oblivious to other genre's existence..

Yes it does. Country music is horrible! Hip hop isn't far behind though. wink.gif

You are painting with too broad of a brush IMO, to say all music in any genre sucks.

I am painting with a broad brush, but I've literally heard thousands of country songs (my parents listen to that shit), and I can count the songs that I could tolerate on one hand. When I'm forced to listen to country music, it instantly puts me in a horrible mood. No offense to those who dig country, but it's just not for me.

I listen to very little country on a daily basis. Actually I listen to no country on a daily basis, nor do I listen to rap, funk, bluegrass, jazz, blues or disco on a daily basis but I do like it sometimes.

I can appreciate your comment about being forced to endure country music being played by someone else. that is rough.

Finally, a little trivia: what musician known mostly for country music has played on a rush record?

I saw the Beastie Boys in 87 (of my own volition), and my parents dragged me to a John Denver concert in my youth. I needed weeks of counselling after that one just to stop the night terrors. wacko.gif

I like a little John Denver but never really thought of him as country. Maybe he is though. I think he was more folk/pop.

Yeah, you could certainly throw him into the folk category. I don't think he has too much fiddle or steel geetar in his music. Still don't care for his stuff though.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 11:50 AM)

I kind of like John Denver too.

I've heard the occasional crossover country song that was alright, meaning I didn't have to run away screaming, and I really enjoy bluegrass. It's just that most straight ahead contemporary country music that I can't handle.

And I agree with GeddyRulz - it's unfair to say all genres besides country - it should be country AND rap. tongue.gif

Gary, I still don't see how you can't stand any country, yet you love all those obscure, one-record prog/psych bands. tongue.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Mar 29 2010, 02:37 PM)
Gary, I still don't see how you can't stand any country, yet you love all those obscure, one-record prog/psych bands. tongue.gif

and how country sounding a lot of grateful dead is.

Right. The stuff by the Dead which I don't like. I like the rest of it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2010, 02:43 PM)

Right. The stuff by the Dead which I don't like. I like the rest of it. tongue.gif

the dead era i dislike the most has got to be the Donna era.

i can't imagine how hard you had to be tripping to think that sounded good.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 12:41 PM)

This is an important distinction.

I don't mind country-influenced rock or folk. Great examples are The Grateful Dead (sometimes) and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Really though, contrast those groups against contemporary country and it's very, very different IMHO.

I think 1977 was a high point for them in terms of live recordings, and there's a lot of Donna there. The studio material post-Wake of the Flood was only sporadically good, but I love almost all the live material of theirs I've heard from 1966-1978 or so...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 29 2010, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 12:41 PM)

This is an important distinction.

I don't mind country-influenced rock or folk. Great examples are The Grateful Dead (sometimes) and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Really though, contrast those groups against contemporary country and it's very, very different IMHO.

Sure it is but they all fall under the country name. Therein lies the problem of saying you like all genres except for country. ( and rap )

The Byrds and The Eagles had country elements too. The Doobie Brothers, the flying burrito brothers, creedence clearwater, the list goes on for country rockers.

Is it right to think that country is second only to the blues in influencing rock and roll?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 29 2010, 03:00 PM)

I think 1977 was a high point for them in terms of live recordings, and there's a lot of Donna there. The studio material post-Wake of the Flood was only sporadically good, but I love almost all the live material of theirs I've heard from 1966-1978 or so...

when she sings it just kills it for me.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 02:56 PM)

My favorite Dead album is Blues for Allah, and she's all over it - particularly on the song "The Music Never Stopped." tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2010, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 02:56 PM)

My favorite Dead album is Blues for Allah, and she's all over it - particularly on the song "The Music Never Stopped." tongue.gif

Some people argue that the Dead are a genre all by themselves.

It's a genre I do not like, along with Dead-ripoff bands like Widespread Panic.

Cash's folsom prison album is pretty bad ass! 1022.gif

I can find something I like in almost every genre, but modern country is the worst shit ever. I don't hate it though, it's always a laugh to turn on CMT every now and then. I like it when they try to be cool and use hip hop slang that was played out ten years ago.

I do like a lot of old country. The weird part is that my redneck buddies don't seem to hear a difference in quality between Johnny Cash and Toby Keith. I don't get that part.

I wrote this song just for this thread. It's called "Bad Ass Country Boy Ya'll"

Basic chord structure - G A

Drinkin' whiskey with the boys,

drivin' 'round in our pickup trucks,

Gonna smack my woman around,

and kick my dog some,

Me & the boys are goin' drinkin' and shootin'

we're gonna kick some asses down at the Double Deuce,

Stay outa my way, cuz' if you ain't red, white & blue,

I'm gonna put my boot in your ass.

Chorus

My boot'll be in your ass....