"I like all genres of music except for Country"

Mr. Not

QUOTE (KennethRush @ Mar 28 2010, 10:01 PM)
I HATE IT when people say "I like all genres of music, except for country".. So many people explain their taste in music like that, and it pisses me off!!! Not because I like country, but because it makes no sense!

If you're so open to music that you listen to so many different genres that differ so greatly, then what is it about this one, certain genre that is so bad? I'm guessing half the people who say they like everything but country are just shadowing what someone else said, that or the people saying it just don't listen to much music in general, and only like the smash-hit mainstream sh!t which is why the exclude country, probably being oblivious to other genre's existence..

Well, I guess I'm just gonna piss you off by saying I like all types of music but country.

Never liked it, and yes I have given it a chance. Don't see myself ever liking it.

EDIT: I can count the number of country songs I like on two hands. Out of the hundreds upon thousands of country/country-derivative songs out there, that pretty much constitutes disliking the entire genre.

Contrast that with the number of rap songs I like, which are probably on the order of 100 or so, mostly old school stuff. Even classical gets more love than country.....it just doesn't appeal to me, and that's the way it is.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Mar 29 2010, 10:33 AM)
I HATE IT when people say "I like all genres of music, except for country".. So many people explain their taste in music like that, and it pisses me off!!! Not because I like country, but because it makes no sense!

If you're so open to music that you listen to so many different genres that differ so greatly, then what is it about this one, certain genre that is so bad? I'm guessing half the people who say they like everything but country are just shadowing what someone else said, that or the people saying it just don't listen to much music in general, and only like the smash-hit mainstream sh!t which is why the exclude country, probably being oblivious to other genre's existence..

Well, I guess I'm just gonna piss you off by saying I like all types of music but country.

Never liked it, and yes I have given it a chance. Don't see myself ever liking it.

Well, this thread is not going stop that quote from living on I guess..

QUOTE (KennethRush @ Mar 29 2010, 01:38 PM)

See my edit.

If you didn't want to be quoted, then why put it out there? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Mar 29 2010, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (KennethRush @ Mar 29 2010, 01:38 PM)

See my edit.

If you didn't want to be quoted, then why put it out there? confused13.gif

I just made this thread because I was in a chat room and asked what kind of music everyone liked, and 3 people answered "everything but country"

And when I said quote I wasn't referring to my orginal post I was talking about "I like everything but country" quote.

QUOTE (KennethRush @ Mar 28 2010, 09:01 PM)

goodpost.gif it makes no sense to single out just country.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 12:44 PM)

Yes it does. Country music is horrible! Hip hop isn't far behind though. wink.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 29 2010, 12:49 PM)

Yes it does. Country music is horrible! Hip hop isn't far behind though. wink.gif

You are painting with too broad of a brush IMO, to say all music in any genre sucks.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 12:56 PM)

You are painting with too broad of a brush IMO, to say all music in any genre sucks.

I am painting with a broad brush, but I've literally heard thousands of country songs (my parents listen to that shit), and I can count the songs that I could tolerate on one hand. When I'm forced to listen to country music, it instantly puts me in a horrible mood. No offense to those who dig country, but it's just not for me.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 29 2010, 02:01 PM)
I've literally heard thousands of country songs (my parents listen to that shit), and I can count the songs that I could tolerate on one hand. When I'm forced to listen to country music, it instantly puts me in a horrible mood. No offense to those who dig country, but it's just not for me.

yes.gif

I guess you're gonna end up driving poor KennethRush up the wall too. wink.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 29 2010, 01:01 PM)

I am painting with a broad brush, but I've literally heard thousands of country songs (my parents listen to that shit), and I can count the songs that I could tolerate on one hand. When I'm forced to listen to country music, it instantly puts me in a horrible mood. No offense to those who dig country, but it's just not for me.

I listen to very little country on a daily basis. Actually I listen to no country on a daily basis, nor do I listen to rap, funk, bluegrass, jazz, blues or disco on a daily basis but I do like it sometimes.

I can appreciate your comment about being forced to endure country music being played by someone else. that is rough.

Am I the only person at TRF that has attended both a Rap and Country concert?

Finally, a little trivia: what musician known mostly for country music has played on a rush record?

There are other genres I don't like, but country is definitely the bottom of the barrel for me. It's the only genre where I will literally leave a building to get away from, and I have several times.

I don't know why, it just bugs me sonically and thematically. I'm not talking old country like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, etc. - that stuff isn't my favorite, but I can handle it. No, it's the straight ahead contemporary country stuff. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 29 2010, 02:18 PM)
There are other genres I don't like, but country is definitely the bottom of the barrel for me. It's the only genre where I will literally leave a building to get away from, and I have several times.

I don't know why, it just bugs me sonically and thematically. I'm not talking old country like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, etc. - that stuff isn't my favorite, but I can handle it. No, it's the straight ahead contemporary country stuff. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I'm not too familiar with Johnny Cash except having heard some of his songs, but he seems more accessible and likeable to those who don't care for country music. He puts a kind of different spin on it that makes it good.

I agree. We should be saying "country and rap." As in, "I like everything but country and rap." yes.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2010, 01:22 PM)

I agree. We should be saying "country and rap." As in, "I like everything but country and rap." yes.gif

wink.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 29 2010, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 29 2010, 01:01 PM)

I listen to very little country on a daily basis. Actually I listen to no country on a daily basis, nor do I listen to rap, funk, bluegrass, jazz, blues or disco on a daily basis but I do like it sometimes.

I can appreciate your comment about being forced to endure country music being played by someone else. that is rough.

Am I the only person at TRF that has attended both a Rap and Country concert?

Finally, a little trivia: what musician known mostly for country music has played on a rush record?

I saw the Beastie Boys in 87 (of my own volition), and my parents dragged me to a John Denver concert in my youth. I needed weeks of counselling after that one just to stop the night terrors. wacko.gif

Archived