Andrew1

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 20 2010, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Feb 20 2010, 04:06 PM)
WARNING: SPOILERS

An absolute MUST to see in the theater.

Thoroughly entertaining, visually stunning, etc etc. All you have heard about that is so true.

And I haven't read every page of this thread, but the strong downside for me, was the obvious (and typical for Hollywood) political statements Cameron was trying to make. I'm sure this has been addressed here, but found it rather distracting and irritating, especially the following

A. The underlying theme is protect your environment

B. He had you trying to root strongly against the "evil American military types".

C. All the evil doings by the Americans were in the name of greed, namely "corporate profits"

Typical Liberal BS,  and I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar wins Best Picture so it gives Cameron a chance to make a speech and allude to it

Justice is not a political idea.

I am not a big fan of having agenda shoved down my throat and definitely did not have a problem with the script. I can;t see how anyone would have a problem with stopping a corporation or government willing to murder sentient beings for money.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 28 2010, 11:24 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 20 2010, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Feb 20 2010, 04:06 PM)
WARNING: SPOILERS

An absolute MUST to see in the theater.

Thoroughly entertaining, visually stunning, etc etc. All you have heard about that is so true.

And I haven't read every page of this thread, but the strong downside for me, was the obvious (and typical for Hollywood) political statements Cameron was trying to make. I'm sure this has been addressed here, but found it rather distracting and irritating, especially the following

A. The underlying theme is protect your environment

B. He had you trying to root strongly against the "evil American military types".

C. All the evil doings by the Americans were in the name of greed, namely "corporate profits"

Typical Liberal BS,  and I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar wins Best Picture so it gives Cameron a chance to make a speech and allude to it

Justice is not a political idea.

I am not a big fan of having agenda shoved down my throat and definitely did not have a problem with the script. I can;t see how anyone would have a problem with stopping a corporation or government willing to murder sentient beings for money.

I think some people have a problem with what Cameron is allegedly implying by making the "mercenaries" ex-Marines/Americans. He could have told the story without that detail.

I saw Avatar 3D yesterday, and all I can say about it is that it makes me crazy that people can put that much money and effort into making something look that magnificent without feeling a need to tell a story that even holds together, much less has anything particularly meaningful to say. Sure the film takes a shallow swipe at having a "message," but the story is so thin and sloppy and predictable that anything it might be trying to say is subsumed and meaningless. I loathe the Hollywood mentality that if you throw enough technology at something you don't need a good story. That, to me, is bad filmmaking. The film was fun to watch, and because of the spectacular visuals it did hold my interest for its too-long run time, but ten minutes after it was over and I was no longer being dazzled, I could only mourn for the tremendous missed opportunities.

I can't believe this film was even nominated for Best Picture. Technical awards, by all means, but that is no "Best Picture." I wouldn't even have been able to sit through the whole thing in flat projection. Without all the spellbinding technology this film is, pardon the pun, utterly one-dimensional.

Edited by GeddysMullet

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Mar 1 2010, 02:52 PM)
I saw Avatar 3D yesterday, and all I can say about it is that it makes me crazy that people can put that much money and effort into making something look that magnificent without feeling a need to tell a story that even holds together, much less has anything particularly meaningful to say. Sure the film takes a shallow swipe at having a "message," but the story is so thin and sloppy and predictable that anything it might be trying to say is subsumed and meaningless. I loathe the Hollywood mentality that if you throw enough technology at something you don't need a good story. That, to me, is bad filmmaking. The film was fun to watch, and because of the spectacular visuals it did hold my interest for its too-long run time, but ten minutes after it was over and I was no longer being dazzled, I could only mourn for the tremendous missed opportunities.

I can't believe this film was even nominated for Best Picture. Technical awards, by all means, but that is no "Best Picture." I wouldn't even have been able to sit through the whole thing in flat projection. Without all the spellbinding technology this film is, pardon the pun, utterly one-dimensional.

goodpost.gif

I haven't seen the movie, but I hear the story is lacking, so I'll probably not see it now.

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Mar 1 2010, 03:28 PM)
I saw Avatar 3D yesterday, and all I can say about it is that it makes me crazy that people can put that much money and effort into making something look that magnificent without feeling a need to tell a story that even holds together, much less has anything particularly meaningful to say.  Sure the film takes a shallow swipe at having a "message," but the story is so thin and sloppy and predictable that anything it might be trying to say is subsumed and meaningless.  I loathe the Hollywood mentality that if you throw enough technology at something you don't need a good story.  That, to me, is bad filmmaking.  The film was fun to watch, and because of the spectacular visuals it did hold my interest for its too-long run time, but ten minutes after it was over and I was no longer being dazzled, I could only mourn for the tremendous missed opportunities. 

I can't believe this film was even nominated for Best Picture.  Technical awards, by all means, but that is no "Best Picture."  I wouldn't even have been able to sit through the whole thing in flat projection.  Without all the spellbinding technology this film is, pardon the pun, utterly one-dimensional.

goodpost.gif

I haven't seen the movie, but I hear the story is lacking, so I'll probably not see it now.

I saw it for the second time on Friday. Is the story deep? No.

Is it a very entertaining and visually stunning movie? Hell yes!

I don't care if the story was a little thin, this was one of the greatest movie experiences of my life. I loved it!

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 1 2010, 03:34 PM)
I saw Avatar 3D yesterday, and all I can say about it is that it makes me crazy that people can put that much money and effort into making something look that magnificent without feeling a need to tell a story that even holds together, much less has anything particularly meaningful to say.  Sure the film takes a shallow swipe at having a "message," but the story is so thin and sloppy and predictable that anything it might be trying to say is subsumed and meaningless.  I loathe the Hollywood mentality that if you throw enough technology at something you don't need a good story.  That, to me, is bad filmmaking.  The film was fun to watch, and because of the spectacular visuals it did hold my interest for its too-long run time, but ten minutes after it was over and I was no longer being dazzled, I could only mourn for the tremendous missed opportunities. 

I can't believe this film was even nominated for Best Picture.  Technical awards, by all means, but that is no "Best Picture."  I wouldn't even have been able to sit through the whole thing in flat projection.  Without all the spellbinding technology this film is, pardon the pun, utterly one-dimensional.

goodpost.gif

I don't care if the story was a little thin, this was one of the greatest movie experiences of my life. I loved it!

I understand, if that's your thing. But when I watch a movie, it has to have a good story. I am not easily impressed by visuals alone.

Except for 300. That movie was just too damn manly for me to resist liking it. 1287.gif

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Mar 1 2010, 03:37 PM)

goodpost.gif

I understand, if that's your thing. But when I watch a movie, it has to have a good story. I am not easily impressed by visuals alone.

Except for 300. That movie was just too damn manly for me to resist liking it. 1287.gif

It has a story. Its simple, but it is interesting. Its not just visuals. If it was just visuals, no one would have loved this movie as much as they do. I think Avatar was great. Go see it! What do you have to loose? I think you'll be surprised how much you enjoy it.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 1 2010, 04:20 PM)

goodpost.gif

It has a story. Its simple, but it is interesting. Its not just visuals. If it was just visuals, no one would have loved this movie as much as they do. I think Avatar was great. Go see it! What do you have to loose? I think you'll be surprised how much you enjoy it.

There's a story, yes, but only just enough of one to hang the great visuals on. It's just not simple, it is also almost totally lacking in depth, logic or continuity.

I do agree that it is fun to watch, and that most people who see it will enjoy it.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Mar 1 2010, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Mar 1 2010, 04:20 PM)

goodpost.gif

There's a story, yes, but only just enough of one to hang the great visuals on. It's just not simple, it is also almost totally lacking in depth, logic or continuity.

I do agree that it is fun to watch, and that most people who see it will enjoy it.

Wel, it aint Gone With The Wind that's for sure. laugh.gif

I finally saw it tonight, and on IMAX 3D. Having seen it this way, I can't imagine what it would've been like if I'd waited for DVD. On my television screen, it would've been just another movie; in the theater, it was a massive visual experience.

I liked it very much, but the cynic in me says it was tons of eye candy wrapped around a story which borrows from prior successful movies like "Dances with Wolves," "The Matrix," "Dune," "Return of the Jedi," and Cameron's own "Aliens."

There's a lot to literally "see" in this movie; we're hammered with visuals, which creates an entirely different world. I heard on the radio that some geeks are reporting post-Avatar depression, because the REAL WORLD pales in comparison and is colorless compared with Pandora. fing.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 3 2010, 11:22 PM)
I liked it very much, but the cynic in me says it was tons of eye candy wrapped around a story which borrows from prior successful movies like "Dances with Wolves," "The Matrix," "Dune," "Return of the Jedi," and Cameron's own "Aliens."

I just watched it on DVD and agree with GR and probably most people it should have been seen in IMAX 3-D.

I'll live with the loss.

It was a good movie and as mentioned before, it was visually amazing, spectacular even only on DVD, but a good story that had been used on more than ocassion.

I refuse to buy this film without bonus material. It's the type of movie that SCREAMS long documentaries and "makings-of," so I'm afraid I'm going to skip this release until the MACK DADDY comes out this November. And that is the schedule for an expanded release.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 25 2010, 05:41 PM)
I refuse to buy this film without bonus material. It's the type of movie that SCREAMS long documentaries and "makings-of," so I'm afraid I'm going to skip this release until the MACK DADDY comes out this November. And that is the schedule for an expanded release.

My friend bought it...I borrowed it.

QUOTE (Alex @ Apr 25 2010, 04:53 PM)
It's Pocahontas in space, people. Get over it.

Alex, are you in need of anger management? What the hell is wrong with you the past few days? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 25 2010, 06:41 PM)

Bonus material? Really? People watch that stuff? Do you really want to watch the making of Avatar so bad you will wait months to buy the disc? I don't get that, but to each his own. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 25 2010, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 25 2010, 06:41 PM)
I refuse to buy this film without bonus material.  It's the type of movie that SCREAMS long documentaries and "makings-of," so I'm afraid I'm going to skip this release until the MACK DADDY comes out this November.  And that is the schedule for an expanded release.

Bonus material? Really? People watch that stuff? Do you really want to watch the making of Avatar so bad you will wait months to buy the disc? I don't get that, but to each his own. atickhum.gif

me neither....but then again I don't ever buy movies. Once I've seen a movie, that's it......I may revisit it YEARS later. I just don't get the excitement of buying/collecting movies.........just me.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 21 2010, 07:51 PM)
The domestic gross is at $687 million. It will easily get to $750 million. Beyond that, it's hard to say when it will stop. It's very possible it will hit $800 million, especially if it wins some major Academy Awards.

Right now it stands in 15th place when taking into account inflation, and will likely end up somewhere between 9th and 11th place when all is said and done.

I really thought the above statement would be true when I wrote it as it was on track for that, but a lot of momentum was killed for Avatar when Alice in Wonderland was released as it took a LOT of the 3-D screens away from Avatar.

Right now the domestic gross stands at approximately $746,395,000. That puts it at #13 when taking into account inflation, right behind The Empire Strikes Back at $747,154,600. I would say it will definitely beat that and land at #12, but that all depends on whether the theater count drops significantly next week due to the DVD release or not. It should limp in to #12, but it's doubtful it will hit $750 million.

Still #12 on the all time list when taking into account inflation is no small feat. It definitely won't catch 101 Dalmations which is at $760+ million.

We were going to rent it for my son and his friend to watch over the weekend but said "why don't we just buy it", so we did. It is incredible looking on blu ray and none of those friggin' black bars either! Hate those fecking things!

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 26 2010, 08:41 AM)
Eh. Gotta feeling it's one of those movies I'll never see.

Definitely your loss. My wife was adamant about not watching this movie. She had zero interest. Well, she watched it with me that night and admitted she thought it was very good. I think she hated to have to say it, but she really enjoyed it a lot.

Edited by tick