Andrew1

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 26 2010, 05:41 AM)
Eh. Gotta feeling it's one of those movies I'll never see.

dude don't be stubborn. It's definitely worth watching.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 25 2010, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 25 2010, 06:41 PM)
I refuse to buy this film without bonus material.  It's the type of movie that SCREAMS long documentaries and "makings-of," so I'm afraid I'm going to skip this release until the MACK DADDY comes out this November.  And that is the schedule for an expanded release.

Bonus material? Really? People watch that stuff? Do you really want to watch the making of Avatar so bad you will wait months to buy the disc? I don't get that, but to each his own. atickhum.gif

Sure..! Why not? I really enjoy the techie and nerdy film side of the creative process. I'm not big on deleted scenes, but I really enjoy the FX side of things, early concept meetings, etc. If it's a matter of waiting til fall, no biggie. If it was going to be a year or two down the pike, I'd cave. But I'd rather have the larger package than just the film if I have my druthers. (I can always rent it for a whole entire dollar at Red Box if I just have to see it betwixt now and then as well).

It's bit like asking why you'd want to see a documentary on the making of Moving Pictures when you simply have the album to listen to. wink.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

I'm glad they made the space available for the actual film on the disc, rather than include loads of extras. I'm sure they'll come with a super-duper edition of everything.

I'm quite surprised how good it was on blu. Just finished watching it, and the detail they put into the film for 3-D seems to mean that although things don't jump out at you, the definition, the clarity in colour and the spectacle all remain. Plus, I don't think I could watch every movie in 3-D, so it's refreshing to know there isn't such a drop-off in quality.

It'll be interesting to see the sequel and the next sequel. Maybe the story will be unique and more original, not that it was bad in the first, but to create a unique story for a unique cinematic world would be awesome, because, let's face it, we're witnessing a LOTResque spectacle here, that should be remembered as the defining series of the 2010's.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 26 2010, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 25 2010, 09:45 PM)
I refuse to buy this film without bonus material.  It's the type of movie that SCREAMS long documentaries and "makings-of," so I'm afraid I'm going to skip this release until the MACK DADDY comes out this November.  And that is the schedule for an expanded release.

Bonus material? Really? People watch that stuff? Do you really want to watch the making of Avatar so bad you will wait months to buy the disc? I don't get that, but to each his own. atickhum.gif

me neither....but then again I don't ever buy movies. Once I've seen a movie, that's it......I may revisit it YEARS later. I just don't get the excitement of buying/collecting movies.........just me.

fair enough. for me i guess it's somewhat similar to having a cd collection. in the end, it's all still art. and some of it is worth buying & keeping

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 26 2010, 03:34 PM)

Sure..! Why not? I really enjoy the techie and nerdy film side of the creative process. I'm not big on deleted scenes, but I really enjoy the FX side of things, early concept meetings, etc. If it's a matter of waiting til fall, no biggie. If it was going to be a year or two down the pike, I'd cave. But I'd rather have the larger package than just the film if I have my druthers. (I can always rent it for a whole entire dollar at Red Box if I just have to see it betwixt now and then as well).

It's bit like asking why you'd want to see a documentary on the making of Moving Pictures when you simply have the album to listen to. wink.gif

If you really dig it you can check out CGtalk.com where a lot of the artists hang out and discuss the VFX side of things. Maybe a little too involved but occasionally some very interesting threads.

Oh and I don't remember if this was posted here.

Edited by hunter

QUOTE (hunter @ Apr 26 2010, 09:04 PM)

If you really dig it you can check out CGtalk.com where a lot of the artists hang out and discuss the VFX side of things. Maybe a little too involved but occasionally some very interesting threads.

What up tick? I have to agree with Presto-dig on this one. Some of us movie freaks do watch that shit. laugh.gif Certain movies anyway. Ex. Blade Runner, Alien, Iron Man, etc.. Shit like that. Movies like 'Matchstick Men', I could care less about special features. What up Jack Aubrey?! tongue.gif I was heading to Best Buy after work the day AVATAR was released. I heard that morning on the radio there were no extras. Abort mission. I just rented it and will continue to do so whenever I want to watch it until the new edition comes out. I must say though. After seeing it in 3-D three times, I was a little skeptical. The transfer to 2-D in Blu-Ray is well worth it.

Edited by Andrew1

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Apr 27 2010, 10:27 PM)

What up tick? I have to agree with Presto-dig on this one. Some of us movie freaks do watch that shit. laugh.gif Certain movies anyway. Ex. Blade Runner, Alien, Iron Man, etc.. Shit like that. Movies like 'Matchstick Men', I could care less about special features. What up Jack Aubrey?! tongue.gif I was heading to Best Buy after work the day AVATAR was released. I heard that morning on the radio there were no extras. Abort mission. I just rented it and will continue to do so whenever I want to watch it until the new edition comes out. I must say though. After seeing it in 3-D three times, I was a little skeptical. The transfer to 2-D in Blu-Ray is well worth it.

To each his own. I don't care about extras. Knock yourself out Andrew! I'm sure the 6 hours of showing how the Navi was constructed in computer imagery will be quite interesting. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 30 2010, 11:26 AM)

To each his own. I don't care about extras. Knock yourself out Andrew! I'm sure the 6 hours of showing how the Navi was constructed in computer imagery will be quite interesting. atickhum.gif

Well, I wouldn't watch those extras. tongue.gif

But the extras for GLADIATOR were awesome. It covered some of the history of that time period and included The Colosseum, Commodus, weaponry & armor, etc. It was more like some shows off the History Channel than how the filmmakers accomplished scenes through cgi...and that suits me fine.

We now return you to the billion dollar blue boyz bonanza...

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 29 2010, 09:26 PM)

Sometimes that is. To some folks the art of making film is a pretty interesting process, much like the art of making an album or some other such thing. To others, they just want to watch shit mindlessly blow up for 2 hours or get lost in a Jackass marathon. To each his own for sure.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 30 2010, 12:39 PM)
Well they don't make those extras discs because no one's interested in them. biggrin.gif That's a lot of extra time and effort for a few fickle individuals otherwise.

Your absolutely right Presto Dig, this guy can't get enough of them!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/uploads/nerd.jpg

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 30 2010, 12:17 PM)
Well they don't make those extras discs because no one's interested in them.  biggrin.gif  That's a lot of extra time and effort for a few fickle individuals otherwise.

Well Bill Gates is a powerful man.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 30 2010, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 30 2010, 12:17 PM)
Well they don't make those extras discs because no one's interested in them.  biggrin.gif  That's a lot of extra time and effort for a few fickle individuals otherwise.

Well Bill Gates is a powerful man.

Indeed! yes.gif trink39.gif

Well...we saw this the other day, and I only really saw it because my fiancee really wanted to see it.

Turns out this movie is not for me at all...I fell asleep about a third into the movie.

Apologies to anyone who enjoyed this film, but it bored me personally.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 30 2010, 02:06 PM)
Well...we saw this the other day, and I only really saw it because my fiancee really wanted to see it.

Turns out this movie is not for me at all...I fell asleep about a third into the movie.

Well, if you fell asleep a third of the way in you were too tired to watch a movie, and you still don't know if its for you because you really didn't watch it did you? atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 30 2010, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 30 2010, 02:06 PM)

Well, if you fell asleep a third of the way in you were too tired to watch a movie, and you still don't know if its for you because you really didn't watch it did you? atickhum.gif

I almost always don't enjoy movies when I'm struggling to stay awake, because my experience of it is more about fighting to stay awake than the actual content. Often those are movies I like very much, it was just the wrong time to watch them. Case in point - I saw Avatar twice. The second time I was fighting to stay awake so it was a much less enjoyable experience. It wasn't the movie's fault as I already knew I loved it - I was just tired!

This isn't to say you're going to love it, but maybe give it a fair chance after a couple cups of coffee? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 30 2010, 12:40 PM)

Sometimes that is. To some folks the art of making film is a pretty interesting process, much like the art of making an album or some other such thing. To others, they just want to watch shit mindlessly blow up for 2 hours or get lost in a Jackass marathon. To each his own for sure.

For sure. Thanks for the backup Presto-dig. Some people just don't care for that shit. I guess we're just strange.

My wife, on the other hand, would give tick a high-five right now. She doesn't get it either.

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Apr 30 2010, 09:53 PM)

For sure. Thanks for the backup Presto-dig. Some people just don't care for that shit. I guess we're just strange.

My wife, on the other hand, would give tick a high-five right now. She doesn't get it either.

I'm not knocking you Andrew. It you like them great. I'm not saying I have never watched extras but generally the extras I would watch would be on a music dvd.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 30 2010, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (Andrew1 @ Apr 30 2010, 09:53 PM)

I'm not knocking you Andrew. It you like them great. I'm not saying I have never watched extras but generally the extras I would watch would be on a music dvd.

It's cool tick. I knew you weren't knocking me. What I was getting at was that I see it from both perspectives. My wife totally agrees with you. My wife's favorite movie is Fight Club. She loves it. If a 5 disc special edition boxed set of Fight Club was released with all the special features and extras you could imagine, she would look at it the same way she would a tarantula. Then she would ask why I wasted $80. laugh.gif

Avatar finally did it - it's now the 12th highest grossing film of all time when taking inflation into consideration:

1. Gone with the Wind $1,537,559,600 1939

2. Star Wars $1,355,490,100 1977

3. The Sound of Music $1,083,781,000 1965

4. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial $1,079,511,500 1982

5. The Ten Commandments $996,910,000 1956

6. Titanic $976,712,200 1997

7. Jaws $974,679,800 1975

8. Doctor Zhivago $944,670,800 1965

9. The Exorcist $841,427,600 1973

10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs $829,490,000 1937

11. 101 Dalmatians $760,370,300 1961

12. Avatar $747,294,000 2009

13. The Empire Strikes Back $747,154,600 1980

14. Ben-Hur $745,780,000 1959

15. Return of the Jedi $715,792,100 983

Those figures show only how much money the films would have made with today's money. The last time a movie did better than Avatar was Titanic 13 years ago, and prior to that E.T. 28 years ago.

Also keep in mind that prior to Titanic there was no satellite, no netflix, no tivo and the internet was just a baby. In 1982 there was only the beginnings of cable and VCR's. People back then had a LOT LESS choices in front of them and distractions available. Coming in 12th all time in today's world is insanely impressive. And it's still making a little bit of money in the theaters considering it's already out on DVD!

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 2 2010, 03:02 PM)
Avatar finally did it - it's now the 12th highest grossing film of all time when taking inflation into consideration:

1. Gone with the Wind $1,537,559,600 1939
2. Star Wars $1,355,490,100 1977
3. The Sound of Music $1,083,781,000 1965
4. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial $1,079,511,500 1982
5. The Ten Commandments $996,910,000 1956
6. Titanic $976,712,200 1997
7. Jaws $974,679,800 1975
8. Doctor Zhivago $944,670,800 1965
9. The Exorcist $841,427,600 1973
10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs $829,490,000 1937
11. 101 Dalmatians $760,370,300 1961
12. Avatar $747,294,000 2009
13. The Empire Strikes Back $747,154,600 1980
14. Ben-Hur $745,780,000 1959
15. Return of the Jedi $715,792,100 983

Those figures show only how much money the films would have made with today's money. The last time a movie did better than Avatar was Titanic 13 years ago, and prior to that E.T. 28 years ago.

Also keep in mind that prior to Titanic there was no satellite, no netflix, no tivo and the internet was just a baby. In 1982 there was only the beginnings of cable and VCR's. People back then had a LOT LESS choices in front of them and distractions available. Coming in 12th all time in today's world is insanely impressive. And it's still making a little bit of money in the theaters considering it's already out on DVD!

It's impressive. To beat Empire (and four other SW films) for adjusted dollars. Well, that just doesn't suck.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 2 2010, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 2 2010, 03:02 PM)

1.  Gone with the Wind  $1,537,559,600  1939
2.  Star Wars  $1,355,490,100  1977
3.  The Sound of Music  $1,083,781,000  1965
4.  E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial  $1,079,511,500  1982
5.  The Ten Commandments  $996,910,000  1956
6.  Titanic  $976,712,200  1997
7.  Jaws  $974,679,800  1975
8.  Doctor Zhivago  $944,670,800  1965
9.  The Exorcist  $841,427,600  1973
10.  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs  $829,490,000  1937
11.  101 Dalmatians  $760,370,300  1961
12.  Avatar  $747,294,000  2009
13.  The Empire Strikes Back  $747,154,600  1980
14.  Ben-Hur  $745,780,000  1959
15.  Return of the Jedi  $715,792,100  983

Those figures show only how much money the films would have made with today's money.  The last time a movie did better than Avatar was Titanic 13 years ago, and prior to that E.T. 28 years ago.

Also keep in mind that prior to Titanic there was no satellite, no netflix, no tivo and the internet was just a baby.  In 1982 there was only the beginnings of cable and VCR's.  People back then had a LOT LESS choices in front of them and distractions available.  Coming in 12th all time in today's world is insanely impressive.  And it's still making a little bit of money in the theaters considering it's already out on DVD!

It's impressive. To beat Empire (and four other SW films) for adjusted dollars. Well, that just doesn't suck.

Yes it is. And with a mediocre story line stolen from Dances with Wolves, Fern Gully and Pocahontas. Very impressive indeed. smile.gif