Andrew1

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 19 2010, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jan 19 2010, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Jan 19 2010, 01:49 AM)
The 3D is SO DAMN REALISTIC I almost felt hot air blowing in my face when the choppers landed, dust of some sort and the reeds at the landing zone, I was ducking so I wouldn't get hit... the scene where he has to take a dive to get away from the "thing" chasing him through the woods?  I felt as if I needed to take a breath to keep my head above water.  Sound was perfect as well!!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the 3D was very well done and not at all intrusive.

The 3D was done in a way that I would imagine the Discovery Channel or National Geographic channel would use for documentaries. That is, the 3D was used to immerse you in the environment, rather than having a bunch of stuff flying towards your face.

Which means nothing like this piece of shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSXy3KNzITM

That was some FINE acting there.... notworthy.gif

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can now add me to the list of people who have seen this movie and thought it was quite incredible.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 19 2010, 02:47 PM)
You can now add me to the list of people who have seen this movie and thought it was quite incredible.

i would add you to the list, but i'm not keeping it this week. presto-digitation, do you have it? maybe the OP has it? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 18 2010, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 18 2010, 11:31 AM)
Am I defective in that I have no interest whatsoever in seeing this movie?  Can any of you convince me otherwise?

No, because I'm right there with you.

Well, it now holds my endorsement so now I'm sure your both comfortable in seeing it. tongue.gif

In all seriousness, I am truly glad I experienced this movie. It was worth the effort as far as I'm concerned.

Cameron: Hey George... I'm kinda stumped with an idea for my next blockbuster movie. Can you help me?

Lucas: Well Jim, I've always found that if you take a classic movie, or even a foreign movie that has a classic story, and put it in space, you'll make MILLIONS off the stupid moviegoers.

Cameron: Hmmmm. I think you might have a point. So what should I rip off?

Lucas: I've been dying to steal a historical story. People are too dumb to remember history well, so they might not notice if you use a factual story.

Cameron: Ohhhh... i got a good one. How about POCAHONTAS??? That's a great story to build upon. Just gotta figure out a way to put it in space.

Lucas: Yep. Oh... and one more thing... ROBOTS. Make sure you use robots somewhere. See ya' at the bank Jim.

Cameron: Thanks George. May the farce be with you.

What is the deal with this movie?

Too Popular 'Avatar' Pulled From Chinese Cinemas

LONDON (Jan. 19) -- James Cameron's sci-fi blockbuster "Avatar" has proved wildly popular with Chinese cinemagoers. In just two weeks, it raked in $76 million in ticket sales, making it the most successful movie ever shown in the country. It appears the film will have a severely limited engagement, though. Chinese censors have slashed the number of theaters showing the film, reportedly over fears that its message could cause social unrest.

State-run distributor China Film Group has declared that from Jan. 23, the 2D version of "Avatar" will be pulled, and the film will be only be shown in 3D. As less that 10 percent of the country's 4,700 screens are 3D-enabled, the move effectively amounts to a ban on the Golden Globe-winning picture.

Chinese bloggers and commentators have speculated that the movie may have been canceled because its plot echoes numerous problems faced by the country today. The blue alien Na'vis' battle to protect their mineral-rich homeland from brutal human invaders, for example, chimes with the plight of modern-day Tibetans.

Chinese authorities, apparently discomfited by "Avatar's" blockbuster success, are yanking its from 3D screens,.

For most ordinary Chinese, though, bigger parallels exist between the Na'vis' struggle to save their homes from capitalist invaders, and the forced evictions of city dwellers and farmers by greedy property developers seeking to clear space for new buildings. According to official statistics, these evictions are now the most common cause of violent civil disturbances in China.

"'Avatar' is a successful model in ... fighting against violent demolition, and we can learn from it in both the strategies and tactics," wrote one blogger, according the the Christian Science Monitor.

Even the state-run English-language China Daily noted the similarities. "Somehow, the film struck a chord with Chinese audiences and created nothing less than a social phenomenon," columnist Huang Hung wrote. "Why? All the forced removal of old neighborhoods in China makes us the only earthlings today who can really feel the pain of the Na'vi."

Protesters have already used the movie to highlight unfair evictions. One Chinese blog showed a photo of a tower block under construction in the southern province of Guangdong, which had been adorned with banners announcing, "We are innocent Na'vis on the planet Pandora" and "The Avatar reality show is on."

But not everyone is so sure that fear of unrest lies behind the censors' decision, as taking "Avatar" out of theaters is unlikely to stop anyone from watching it. Pirated copies can be bought in any of the major cities. Even before the film's official release, the U.K.'s Institute of Commercial Management noted, illegal DVDs of "Avatar" were on sale in Beijing's markets for 7 yuan ($1).

Instead, it's possible that the movie was canceled because its huge success humiliated domestic Chinese filmmakers. "They are envious," said one commenter on the Douban.com social networking site. "They could not make something like that themselves so they got green." And that embarrassment would have grown if "Avatar" were still on show during Chinese New Year, the country's peak cinema season, which starts Feb. 14. The rather dull looking "Confucius" -- a patriotic biopic of the ancient Chinese sage -- will now replace it on 1,628 screens.

With competition like that, the Chinese box office record for "Avatar" is probably safe for a while yet.

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 19 2010, 09:28 PM)
Cameron: Hey George... I'm kinda stumped with an idea for my next blockbuster movie. Can you help me?

Lucas: Well Jim, I've always found that if you take a classic movie, or even a foreign movie that has a classic story, and put it in space, you'll make MILLIONS off the stupid moviegoers.

Lucas: I've been dying to steal a historical story. People are too dumb to remember history well, so they might not notice if you use a factual story.

Cameron: Ohhhh... i got a good one. How about POCAHONTAS??? That's a great story to build upon. Just gotta figure out a way to put it in space.

Lucas: Yep. Oh... and one more thing... ROBOTS. Make sure you use robots somewhere. See ya' at the bank Jim.

Your satirical post certainly does have merit. It was a lot like Pocahontas now that you say it. I still found it entertaining none the less.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 19 2010, 08:28 PM)
Cameron:  Hey George... I'm kinda stumped with an idea for my next blockbuster movie.  Can you help me? 

Lucas:  Well Jim, I've always found that if you take a classic movie, or even a foreign movie that has a classic story, and put it in space, you'll make MILLIONS off the stupid moviegoers. 

Cameron:  Hmmmm.  I think you might have a point.  So what should I rip off? 

Lucas:  I've been dying to steal a historical story.  People are too dumb to remember history well, so they might not notice if you use a factual story. 

Cameron:  Ohhhh... i got a good one.  How about POCAHONTAS???  That's a great story to build upon.  Just gotta figure out a way to put it in space. 

Lucas:  Yep.  Oh... and one more thing... ROBOTS.  Make sure you use robots somewhere.  See ya' at the bank Jim. 

Cameron:  Thanks George.  May the farce be with you.

Ah, the return of Star Wars Bashing. In an Avatar thread, no less. z7shysterical.gif

http://1.media.collegehumor.com/collegehumor/ch6/a/d/collegehumor.0e91a4ba44849a6f9572fe6d8a9bcb98.jpg

For Necro. z7shysterical.gif

I hope Cameron attacks Atlantis next and Prince Namor kicks some serious ass !!! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 19 2010, 11:44 PM)
Cameron:  Hey George... I'm kinda stumped with an idea for my next blockbuster movie.  Can you help me? 

Lucas:  Well Jim, I've always found that if you take a classic movie, or even a foreign movie that has a classic story, and put it in space, you'll make MILLIONS off the stupid moviegoers. 

Lucas:  I've been dying to steal a historical story.  People are too dumb to remember history well, so they might not notice if you use a factual story. 

Cameron:  Ohhhh... i got a good one.  How about POCAHONTAS???  That's a great story to build upon.  Just gotta figure out a way to put it in space. 

Lucas:  Yep.  Oh... and one more thing... ROBOTS.  Make sure you use robots somewhere.  See ya' at the bank Jim. 

Your satirical post certainly does have merit. It was a lot like Pocahontas now that you say it. I still found it entertaining none the less.

I saw that pocahontas treatment somewhere before. Funny stuff. I'm sure the movie is still entertaining, I just find it funny that these kind of "re-works" get done and sold off to the masses as art. The high volume of fandom for un-original stuff like this blows me away.

I'm not saying I don't have guilty pleasures myself, but it's irritating to see the money that this rip off will make, compared to tons of phenomenal films that blow it away in originality.

The masses seem to be sold on shmaltz, rather than substance. Oh well. confused13.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jan 20 2010, 12:52 PM)

Ah, the return of Star Wars Bashing. In an Avatar thread, no less. z7shysterical.gif

Not bashing anything but the guys that make bajillions of money off hard working people by re-tooling another movie.

I just think if you're gonna gross bazillions of dollars, there should be an original storyline, not just a "twist" on that storyline.

I get it with Lucas, but Cameron always seemed of higher repute. I guess I'm wrong. sad.gif

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Jan 20 2010, 04:41 PM)
Avatar is so good a Taiwanese man died watching it because he got too excited. How many films can do that?

Link

Am I bad for finding that funny?

No, not bad. Anyone who lets themselves get that worked up over a movie about 10-foot tall Smurfs with elf ears deserves at least a trip to the hospital.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 20 2010, 05:33 PM)
Not bashing anything but the guys that make bajillions of money off hard working people by re-tooling another movie. 

How many Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Harry Potter, LOTR, Star Wars, Aliens, etc. movies have re-used the same formulas?

I dunno, i think if you liked Terminator and Aliens and are any kind of sci-fi fan, you would probably like Avatar.

It actually reminds me most of Aliens, except turned on its head: the aliens are the heroes and the marines are the villans.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 20 2010, 06:30 PM)

I saw that pocahontas treatment somewhere before. Funny stuff. I'm sure the movie is still entertaining, I just find it funny that these kind of "re-works" get done and sold off to the masses as art. The high volume of fandom for un-original stuff like this blows me away.

I'm not saying I don't have guilty pleasures myself, but it's irritating to see the money that this rip off will make, compared to tons of phenomenal films that blow it away in originality.

The masses seem to be sold on shmaltz, rather than substance. Oh well. confused13.gif

I'm not going to disagree with what you said, but I do kinda think most stuff in the movies is rehashed, unfortunately.

It is a visually stunning movie, and the planet visuals and its creatures sucked me in.

laugh.gif

A better historical event comparable to Avatar is the trail of tears.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 20 2010, 07:49 PM)

I'm not going to disagree with what you said, but I do kinda think most stuff in the movies is rehashed, unfortunately.

It is a visually stunning movie, and the planet visuals and its creatures sucked me in.

And there is the problem. Where is the original stories? I know it's almost impossible to be totally original, but there's gotta be some type of originality left in films.

This is OUR fault. We constantly support rehashed crap. I mean remakes, not reboots or retools. I think a reboot can be a good thing. Take Batman for instance. Great concept and story that got diluted and bastardized, and now is a very respectable movie series. Same with Star Trek and Terminator. Great original sci-fi ideas that are now being re booted in a whole new direction. That's okay by me.

What I get peeved about is a story like this, that is really another story. You don't think for a minute that Cameron didn't hope we wouldn't notice, do you? But now, even though that it's out there, people still go. I probably will too. At least it's got the visual thing going on.

I know it's not easy. When I was writing, almost every idea I'd get was influenced by something else. And the ones that I thought weren't, someone else would point out that "that idea sounds like..." And usually they were right. But the formula of putting the familiar story in space and adding robots and ships is getting old, don't you think?

Hell... Twilight is Romeo and Juliet with vampires. Everyone is doing it and making a fortune. And through it all, there's some cool indys and lower budget movies that get passed over because of the HUGE blockbuster that cost enough money to feed the world to make. Kinda lame.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 20 2010, 07:40 PM)

And there is the problem. Where is the original stories? I know it's almost impossible to be totally original, but there's gotta be some type of originality left in films.

This is OUR fault. We constantly support rehashed crap. I mean remakes, not reboots or retools. I think a reboot can be a good thing. Take Batman for instance. Great concept and story that got diluted and bastardized, and now is a very respectable movie series. Same with Star Trek and Terminator. Great original sci-fi ideas that are now being re booted in a whole new direction. That's okay by me.

What I get peeved about is a story like this, that is really another story. You don't think for a minute that Cameron didn't hope we wouldn't notice, do you? But now, even though that it's out there, people still go. I probably will too. At least it's got the visual thing going on.

I know it's not easy. When I was writing, almost every idea I'd get was influenced by something else. And the ones that I thought weren't, someone else would point out that "that idea sounds like..." And usually they were right. But the formula of putting the familiar story in space and adding robots and ships is getting old, don't you think?

Hell... Twilight is Romeo and Juliet with vampires. Everyone is doing it and making a fortune. And through it all, there's some cool indys and lower budget movies that get passed over because of the HUGE blockbuster that cost enough money to feed the world to make. Kinda lame.

This really shouldnt be a big surprise. Its been going on for generations, not just with movies, but music as well. All the most popular bands in the 80s were the hair metal pretty boys who all looked the same. Once a formula brings in a substantial revenue, its all copycat after that.

I understand the frustration with lame storylines being rehashed and sold to the masses as art, but its just the way it is. I enjoy my foreign movies and bands that arent played on the radio and , for those that i know will appreciate them, pass the word on. The big budget films will always be a little less original.

Oh, and im planning on seeing this today. Reputable sources have told me its worth the 3-d experience, so what the hell. Im going to check it out.

I just got back from the 1:00 showing. Saw it in 3-d. Amazing visuals, but the dialogue annoyed the shit out of me, and after about an hour into it, i really could care less about the visual aspect.

It was a typical Cameron film with little substance, and corny one liners thrown in. No character development and plot twists. Just your typical " we will fight for our land" scenario that we've all seen before.

Ill give it a solid C . Entertaining, but not a movie ill be wishing to see again.

The week-end estimate puts Avatar at $552+ million domestically, probably about a week away from beating Titanic's $600+ million. Is $700 million possible? $750 million?

International grosses are at an estimated 1.836 billion, about 6.5 million short of Titanic - it will get there by Monday or Tuesday. 2 billion seems very likely.

Amazing...

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 21 2010, 07:24 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 20 2010, 07:40 PM)

This really shouldnt be a big surprise. Its been going on for generations, not just with movies, but music as well. All the most popular bands in the 80s were the hair metal pretty boys who all looked the same. Once a formula brings in a substantial revenue, its all copycat after that.

I understand the frustration with lame storylines being rehashed and sold to the masses as art, but its just the way it is. I enjoy my foreign movies and bands that arent played on the radio and , for those that i know will appreciate them, pass the word on. The big budget films will always be a little less original.

Oh, and im planning on seeing this today. Reputable sources have told me its worth the 3-d experience, so what the hell. Im going to check it out.

The frustration is with the general public for being so easily taken. It happens in all aspects of American life. We settle for very little and we are impressed by almost nothing.

The stats that were just posted are a sad insight into how easy the American public is to impress. Hell... just look at the things you can't speak about outside SOCN to show how gullible this country is.

The media blitzes us with how great this movie is for almost a year before it even gets released. Then we get the ad bombardment once it is out, and you keep hearing about how many people HAVE seen it and what it's grossed. Easily swayed people will jump on any bandwagon.

I'm sorry that I expect more for my hard earned entertainment dollar. I'll watch it when I can pirate a dvd rip off the computer, but NO blatant rip off of another movie, no matter how cool the special effects are, is going to get my money.

For the rest of you sheep, enjoy your smurfs in space version of Pocahontas. Make Cameron richer for doing NOTHING. applaudit.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 24 2010, 02:22 PM)
The week-end estimate puts Avatar at $552+ million domestically, probably about a week away from beating Titanic's $600+ million. Is $700 million possible? $750 million?

International grosses are at an estimated 1.836 billion, about 6.5 million short of Titanic - it will get there by Monday or Tuesday. 2 billion seems very likely.

Amazing...

Are those figures adjusted for inflation?