Andrew1

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jan 7 2010, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2010, 07:21 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 7 2010, 04:14 PM)
not earth shattering news but Cameron has officially confirmed there will be an Avatar 2.

ohmy.gif

Holy shit!

I thought about this and really thought it wouldn't happen, what with such a massive undertaking the first one was.

It's not like it's unprecedented for him, though. He did make T2, and that was better than the first one, so who knows, this could be awesome! biggrin.gif

cool.gif

Or an absolutely terrible and obvious cash grab. Of course if it sucks and still makes lots of money it will still be deemed a success. Hollywood is a soulless place.

well he has all the technology in place from the first film so perhaps he can now focus on a better script.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 8 2010, 12:06 PM)
not earth shattering news but Cameron has officially confirmed there will be an Avatar 2.

ohmy.gif

Holy shit!

I thought about this and really thought it wouldn't happen, what with such a massive undertaking the first one was.

It's not like it's unprecedented for him, though. He did make T2, and that was better than the first one, so who knows, this could be awesome! biggrin.gif

cool.gif

Or an absolutely terrible and obvious cash grab. Of course if it sucks and still makes lots of money it will still be deemed a success. Hollywood is a soulless place.

well he has all the technology in place from the first film so perhaps he can now focus on a better script.

He never has, so I doubt that'll start now. It's consistent in all of his scripts....and that includes T2 and Aliens as well. He's incredibly consistent.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 9 2010, 10:47 AM)

ohmy.gif

Holy shit!

cool.gif

He never has, so I doubt that'll start now. It's consistent in all of his scripts....and that includes T2 and Aliens as well. He's incredibly consistent.

I think Aliens is extremely well written. nice character development, suspenseful, scary, action packed... it doesn't get much better. 1022.gif

I just saw Avatar for the 2nd time, this time in 2D.

It was interesting to see the movie again, especially in light of this thread. A few things I noticed:

1. While it was definitely preferable in 3D, the movie really holds up in 2D, as I suspected. It's still a beautiful film to look at.

2. I had in mind all the criticism of the movie being unoriginal, Dances with Wolves in space, etc., but you know what? The story was great, and I didn't care about any of that at all as I got caught up in the movie once again.

3. This is just a wonderful movie IMHO. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2010, 10:16 PM)
I just saw Avatar for the 2nd time, this time in 2D.

It was interesting to see the movie again, especially in light of this thread. A few things I noticed:

1. While it was definitely preferable in 3D, the movie really holds up in 2D, as I suspected. It's still a beautiful film to look at.

2. I had in mind all the criticism of the movie being unoriginal, Dances with Wolves in space, etc., but you know what? The story was great, and I didn't care about any of that at all as I got caught up in the movie once again.

3. This is just a wonderful movie IMHO. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've still only seen it in 2-D, but I hear great things about the 3-D presentation. That'll be next. I'd love to see it again.

It has great depth of field, even 2-D!! I was pretty surprised by this.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 9 2010, 12:47 PM)

ohmy.gif

Holy shit!

cool.gif

Absolutely! The first one was a great horror movie and the second was a great action movie!

QUOTE (JimboGames @ Jan 8 2010, 10:12 AM)
Avatar = Pocahontas + Starship Troopers (but in 3D)

If you see it, be sure to see it in 3D. It is a mediocre movie without the 3D.

I can't do 3-D. My wife and I saw a 3-D Imax movie about four years ago and we both left with splitting migraines. I envy those of you who are unaffected by it.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 11 2010, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 9 2010, 12:47 PM)

ohmy.gif

Holy shit!

cool.gif

Absolutely! The first one was a great horror movie and the second was a great action movie!

Yeah, the two really compliment each other well. Cameron's still had that Ridley Scott look, but on a rollercoaster. I go back and forth on which one I like more, owing more to the mood I'm in than anything else. wink.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 11 2010, 10:46 AM)

If you see it, be sure to see it in 3D.  It is a mediocre movie without the 3D.

I can't do 3-D. My wife and I saw a 3-D Imax movie about four years ago and we both left with splitting migraines. I envy those of you who are unaffected by it.

This is my biggest trepidation and why I went for the normal 2-D version initially. I'm prone to migraines anyhow, so perhaps it's best to not push it. Still I have to say I'm curious because I've not seen "modern" 3-D and I'm intrigued. I think it's still more of a fad/trend thing, even with the improvements...but I've only seen really awful 3-D from the 80s (Friday Pt. 3; Jaws 3) and earlier, so no good grounds for comparison. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 11 2010, 08:13 AM)

This is my biggest trepidation and why I went for the normal 2-D version initially. I'm prone to migraines anyhow, so perhaps it's best to not push it. Still I have to say I'm curious because I've not seen "modern" 3-D and I'm intrigued. I think it's still more of a fad/trend thing, even with the improvements...but I've only seen really awful 3-D from the 80s (Friday Pt. 3; Jaws 3) and earlier, so no good grounds for comparison. biggrin.gif

It's no fad. Coming soon to a TV near you even. Especially in Imax on a proper Imax screen, not some planetarium. Another benefit of Imax over the other 3d systems is it uses two projectors as opposed to one splitting the frames, so the image is brighter. Really good when you get a director who doesn't use it just to "show off" the 3D.

Avatar didn't have anything that was blatantly thrown in just for the 3D effect.

QUOTE (hunter @ Jan 11 2010, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 11 2010, 08:13 AM)

It's no fad. Coming soon to a TV near you even. Especially in Imax on a proper Imax screen, not some planetarium. Another benefit of Imax over the other 3d systems is it uses two projectors as opposed to one splitting the frames, so the image is brighter. Really good when you get a director who doesn't use it just to "show off" the 3D.

Avatar didn't have anything that was blatantly thrown in just for the 3D effect.

That's what I've heard!! That's the pitfall of much of what's been done so far, setting up shots for the effect...versus just integrating you INTO the scene, which I hear Avatar does well. smile.gif

I guess I just wonder how long 3-D will persist. I don't see it becoming the norm until the glasses are (somehow) not required. I'm not sure I want to spend all my TV/movie time with glasses on my head. biggrin.gif

Still no Roger Dean lawsuit against the artists?

some people really do need to get a life.

AVATAR VIEWERS ON THE BRINK OF DEPRESSION

Despite this week surpassing "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" as the second best selling film of all time, "Avatar" has led some film fantatics to the brink of depression.

Jim Cameron now holds the top two spots in the all time worldwide grosser's, with the director achieving unprecedented success with "Titanic" in 1997.

Some fans of his latest release however, just cannot seem to come to terms with the realisation that the world of Pandora was only created so that such statistics could become possible.

One "Avatar" fanatic in particular was keen to share their feelings of why the film has had such an effect on some of its audience. In a forum subject titled 'My feelings on my Avatar depression', user Adonai says: "People today convince themselves that they are happy, possibly because we have only each other to compare our happiness with.

"We are too preoccupied with work and everything else to stop and think what would really make us happy. We all just accept our way of life, because we don't really have much of a choice."

"Avatar changes that. It makes you believe that a world like Pandora can exist, and it gives us hope. Seeing the Na'vi live at peace with their planet, and with each other, makes you stop and think about the life you live, and it makes you realise that you are in fact not happy at all."

User Monicolada was in agreement, adding: "We see a world where everyone works together, loves each other and respects each other and the planet. Our is so tragically different. It makes us sad to see the blatant differences and how life would be if we changed things."

The movie is set in the future with the Earth's resources running dangerously low due to the greed of the human race. A corporation sets out on a mission to invade Pandora and take their resources back to planet Earth.

Admittedly, it is difficult not to take a disliking for the human race while watching the film. However, few could have predicted that it would have had such an effect on some of its captivated viewers.

User Eltu posted the following on the "Avatar" forum page: "When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed...gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning.

"It just seems so...meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep...doing things at all. I live in a dying world."

"Avatar" has already made $1.4bn and has been tipped by experts to change the face of cinema forever.

Despite such astronomical figures, surely even Cameron himself could not have predicted the impact that "Avatar" and the land of Pandora has had on some of his viewers.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 12 2010, 10:52 AM)

Despite this week surpassing "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" as the second best selling film of all time, "Avatar" has led some film fantatics to the brink of depression.

Jim Cameron now holds the top two spots in the all time worldwide grosser's, with the director achieving unprecedented success with "Titanic" in 1997.

Some fans of his latest release however, just cannot seem to come to terms with the realisation that the world of Pandora was only created so that such statistics could become possible.

One "Avatar" fanatic in particular was keen to share their feelings of why the film has had such an effect on some of its audience. In a forum subject titled 'My feelings on my Avatar depression', user Adonai says: "People today convince themselves that they are happy, possibly because we have only each other to compare our happiness with.

"We are too preoccupied with work and everything else to stop and think what would really make us happy. We all just accept our way of life, because we don't really have much of a choice."

"Avatar changes that. It makes you believe that a world like Pandora can exist, and it gives us hope. Seeing the Na'vi live at peace with their planet, and with each other, makes you stop and think about the life you live, and it makes you realise that you are in fact not happy at all."

User Monicolada was in agreement, adding: "We see a world where everyone works together, loves each other and respects each other and the planet. Our is so tragically different. It makes us sad to see the blatant differences and how life would be if we changed things."

The movie is set in the future with the Earth's resources running dangerously low due to the greed of the human race. A corporation sets out on a mission to invade Pandora and take their resources back to planet Earth.

Admittedly, it is difficult not to take a disliking for the human race while watching the film. However, few could have predicted that it would have had such an effect on some of its captivated viewers.

User Eltu posted the following on the "Avatar" forum page: "When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed...gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning.

"It just seems so...meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep...doing things at all. I live in a dying world."

"Avatar" has already made $1.4bn and has been tipped by experts to change the face of cinema forever.

Despite such astronomical figures, surely even Cameron himself could not have predicted the impact that "Avatar" and the land of Pandora has had on some of his viewers.

ummm, it's only a movie? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 12 2010, 01:52 PM)

Oh brother..............

Ok I suggest everyone come on over to The TSS Bar and Grill for a good time!!! lithium coladas for everyone!!!! Drink up!!!! trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

The whole god damn planet needs to get a freaking grip!! wacko.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 12 2010, 12:52 PM)

This really isn't a piece by The Onion?

Really??

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 11 2010, 05:26 PM)
Going to see this in all the available dimensions at a matinee tomorrow! Until then I'll avoid reading the thread but may post some of my comments on it tomorrow!

Please do. I'd be curious what you think, good or bad.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 12 2010, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 12 2010, 12:52 PM)

This really isn't a piece by The Onion?

Really??

I'm afraid not. Google it.

Vatican Says "Avatar" is No Masterpiece

Vatican City, Italy (AP) -- Unlike much of the world, the Vatican is not awed by the film "Avatar."

James Cameron's big-grossing, 3-D spectacle has earned lukewarm reviews by both the Vatican newspaper and its radio station, which say the movie is simplistic in its plot is superficial in its eco-message, despite groundbreaking visual effects.

The Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano says that despite "so much stupefying, enchanting technology," there are "few genuine emotions."

Vatican Radio called it "rather harmless" but said the movie was no sci-fi masterpiece.

The reviews came out after a red carpet preview held in Rome just a stone's throw from St. Peter's Square. The movie will be released Friday in Italy.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 12 2010, 01:25 PM)
Vatican Says "Avatar" is No Masterpiece

Vatican City, Italy (AP) -- Unlike much of the world, the Vatican is not awed by the film "Avatar."

James Cameron's big-grossing, 3-D spectacle has earned lukewarm reviews by both the Vatican newspaper and its radio station, which say the movie is simplistic in its plot is superficial in its eco-message, despite groundbreaking visual effects.

The Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano says that despite "so much stupefying, enchanting technology," there are "few genuine emotions."

Vatican Radio called it "rather harmless" but said the movie was no sci-fi masterpiece.

The reviews came out after a red carpet preview held in Rome just a stone's throw from St. Peter's Square. The movie will be released Friday in Italy.

You know, I was just sitting here wondering when the Vatican would chime in on it, noted film historians that they are. Thank Jesus (Joseph and Mary) they finally weighed in.