Andrew1

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 26 2009, 08:41 AM)
You always gotta love people putting a movie down they haven't even seen. wink.gif

I thought it was amazing, a real experience. It was like a science-fiction book come to life in a way that I've rarely, rarely seen. Honestly, the only thing that bothered me, and this is a spoiler, is the battle at the end with the last standing marine - it was a bit superfluous and a bit too Hollywood action blockbustery, but still the movie was so awesome that I easily forgave that.

Yes, there were definitely aspects of the story that weren't highly original, but there were a lot of aspects that WERE highly original, and there was a LOT I hadn't seen before. I think a lot of people will truly be missing out if they don't see this because of pre-judging it in some way.

I truly do hope that the positive message of the movie isn't obscured by the cynical point of view that it's merely unoriginal. That would be a shame.

And oh yeah, the 3D was stunning - see it in 3D if you can! Visually phenomenal...

Yeah, you really do need to see it in 3D IMAX. Some of the flying scenes were unreal that way. It was more like riding an attraction than watching a movie. Imho if you watch it on dvd then you might as well NOT watch it. This is a movie for the cinema no matter how good your home entertainment center is

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 25 2009, 11:33 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 25 2009, 06:41 PM)
You always gotta love people putting a movie down they haven't even seen. wink.gif

Seen enough in a preview, plus the 1,000 or so commercials on the topic.

I've read several reviews, both positive and negative, and I came away not eager to see the film. The negative reviews left me with the impression I would not enjoy the film because it has an alleged agenda I don't particularly agree with. I feel I know the reasons why some people like it and why some people don't like it. I'll eventually see the film because I've enjoyed so many Cameron films in the past. I just want the hype to die down so I can watch the film as objectively as possible. My take, don't believe the hype, for now.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 25 2009, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 26 2009, 08:41 AM)

I thought it was amazing, a real experience.  It was like a science-fiction book come to life in a way that I've rarely, rarely seen.  Honestly, the only thing that bothered me, and this is a spoiler, is the battle at the end with the last standing marine - it was a bit superfluous and a bit too Hollywood action blockbustery, but still the movie was so awesome that I easily forgave that.

Yes, there were definitely aspects of the story that weren't highly original, but there were a lot of aspects that WERE highly original, and there was a LOT I hadn't seen before.  I think a lot of people will truly be missing out if they don't see this because of pre-judging it in some way. 

I truly do hope that the positive message of the movie isn't obscured by the cynical point of view that it's merely unoriginal.  That would be a shame.

And oh yeah, the 3D was stunning - see it in 3D if you can!  Visually phenomenal...

Yeah, you really do need to see it in 3D IMAX. Some of the flying scenes were unreal that way. It was more like riding an attraction than watching a movie. Imho if you watch it on dvd then you might as well NOT watch it. This is a movie for the cinema no matter how good your home entertainment center is

Unfortunately there's no IMAX theater anywhere close to me, but at least I got to see it in 3D! And yeah, the flying scenes and the visuals in general were truly amazing.

I think it will still be a great movie in 2D and on the small screen, but if you CAN see the movie in the theaters, and especially in 3D, I highly recommend it.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 25 2009, 10:42 PM)

I've read several reviews, both positive and negative, and I came away not eager to see the film. The negative reviews left me with the impression I would not enjoy the film because it has an alleged agenda I don't particularly agree with. I feel I know the reasons why some people like it and why some people don't like it. I'll eventually see the film because I've enjoyed so many Cameron films in the past. I just want the hype to die down so I can watch the film as objectively as possible. My take, don't believe the hype, for now.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 26 2009, 12:42 PM)

For what it's worth, due to my geography I knew nothing of the movie hype. I saw no tv advertisments (since I don't watch tv) or previews. The only thing I knew about it before watching it the other day (besides seeing a couple of posters) was that James Cameron spent a ton of money on it.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 25 2009, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 26 2009, 12:42 PM)

For what it's worth, due to my geography I knew nothing of the movie hype. I saw no tv advertisments (since I don't watch tv) or previews. The only thing I knew about it before watching it the other day (besides seeing a couple of posters) was that James Cameron spent a ton of money on it.

Pretty much the same here. I avoided the commercials at all costs. I just heard it was expensive (hard to miss that one) and it was something special. I wasn't disappointed.

I remember when Waterworld came out. I saw it almost immediately when it came out, and thankfully I never heard one word about how people were freaking out over how expensive it was which caused a lot of people not to see it, or to see it with unrealistic expectations. I thought it was a really good movie.

This is why I often try not to pay attention to hype and/or watch commercials, trailers and previews, especially about movies that seem interesting to me. I just look to see what genre it is, how well reviewed it is by reviewers and people I know, and that's it. For me, the less I know going in, the better. Some people have the whole thing put in a box and figured out beforehand, and they don't get to enjoy it for what it is, if they see it at all...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 25 2009, 11:14 PM)

goodpost.gif

Did you guys have a problem with those liberal, tree-hugging Ewoks in Return of the Jedi? tongue.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Dec 26 2009, 03:58 PM)

goodpost.gif

Did you guys have a problem with those liberal, tree-hugging Ewoks in Return of the Jedi? tongue.gif

I did. I dont like muppets mixed with my Sci Fi.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 26 2009, 03:02 PM)

goodpost.gif

I did. I dont like muppets mixed with my Sci Fi.

The ewoks were really the only weak point in the original trilogy IMHO. Still, they were a hell of a lot better than Jar Jar Binks. comp26.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Dec 26 2009, 04:58 PM)

goodpost.gif

Ewoks are annoying.

My reaction to the reviews I read is not that simple. There are several reasons I'm not buying the hype.

goodpost.gif

Yes. They sucked. Hated them then, hate them more now.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 28 2009, 01:29 AM)
so is the movie any f-cking good or not? smile.gif

laugh.gif

Go to an IMAX theater and watch it in 3D if you can. It's at least worth that. Also, I think I said before, this is NOT a Roland Emmerich type piece of shit story. Sure it's a rehashed story but it's not THAT bad.

Special Effects: A+

Story: C+

Overall Experience: B

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 27 2009, 09:29 AM)

It's a GREAT movie and shouldn't be missed. Whatever reasons people are using to not see the movie are all well and fine, but they're missing out on a great enjoyable experience IMHO...

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 27 2009, 01:12 PM)

laugh.gif

Go to an IMAX theater and watch it in 3D if you can. It's at least worth that.

Really ? and just how much would it cost for a family of three to do this ? Then I'll tell you if its at least worth that.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 28 2009, 03:11 AM)

laugh.gif

Really ? and just how much would it cost for a family of three to do this ? Then I'll tell you if its at least worth that.

I paid 9 bucks here on vacation in Florida. That's half the price of a regular movie where I live so from my point of view it was definitely worth it. Seeing it in IMAX 3D would probably be around 25-30 bucks for 1 person. I don't know prices where you live.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 27 2009, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 28 2009, 03:11 AM)

laugh.gif

I paid 9 bucks here on vacation in Florida. That's half the price of a regular movie where I live so from my point of view it was definitely worth it. Seeing it in IMAX 3D would probably be around 25-30 bucks for 1 person. I don't know prices where you live.

Your right, it would be 25 to 30 bucks for IMAX 3D, and at that price, it would be 100 bucks to see a movie, so no, that would hardly be worth it. 9 bucks is more like it.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 27 2009, 03:39 PM)
The IMAX where I am at was 15 bucks per person.

But I went by myself, and did not get any popcorn or anything like that.

I live in Connecticut. Everything costs more then it should in my state.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 27 2009, 02:43 PM)

that much more? near philly it is also $15...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 27 2009, 04:42 PM)

All I know is a 3D movie in Connecticut is 15 bucks, so I'm guessing an IMAX 3D movie would probably cost a bit more ?

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 27 2009, 08:33 PM)

All I know is a 3D movie in Connecticut is 15 bucks, so I'm guessing an IMAX 3D movie would probably cost a bit more ?

I dont even know what real movie costs, I almost only go to kiddie movies.. lol....

People have told me that this movie is good. I watched the trailer and it looks boring (story wise) with fab effects...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 27 2009, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 27 2009, 08:33 PM)

I dont even know what real movie costs, I almost only go to kiddie movies.. lol....

People have told me that this movie is good. I watched the trailer and it looks boring (story wise) with fab effects...

I want to see it. My wife has absolutely no interest at all. I may take my daughter. I may just wait and see it on DVD.