Andrew1

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw it in 3D last week (still playing here) after initially seeing and loving it in 2D. Didn't do much to enhance my enjoyment. Added some depth, but that's hardly the selling point here. If it wasn't a solid film people wouldn't care...(see Alice In Wonderland and Clash Of The Titans for 3D films that didn't exactly soar at the box office).

For me the 3-D aspect had nothing to do with it as I don't tend to watch 3-D films (can't get on with the glasses cool.gif ). My DVD version of Avatar is a straight 2-D version and I still found it immensely enjoyable as did both of my children (9 and 7 years old). More to the point, it held my son rivited even though, most of the time, he usually wanders around the room while keeping his fixed on the screen.

While I admit that the 3-D aspect WAS a selling, I don't think it can be held accountable for the immense popularity of Avatar.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 9 2010, 02:31 PM)
I just saw it in 3D last week (still playing here) after initially seeing and loving it in 2D. Didn't do much to enhance my enjoyment. Added some depth, but that's hardly the selling point here. If it wasn't a solid film people wouldn't care...(see Alice In Wonderland and Clash Of The Titans for 3D films that didn't exactly soar at the box office).

Precisely.

Clash of the Titans has made over 432 million worldwide - it might make it to 500 million. Not a bad showing AT ALL.

Alice In Wonderland has made 960 million worldwide - it might make it to a billion. That is highly, highly impressive by any standards. Hell, I might even want to see it if it wasn't a Tim Burton film. 062802puke_prv.gif

Avatar, on the other hand has made 2.7 billion plus worldwide. Those are absolutely insane numbers.

The 3-D aspect helped, but on its own could not account for those numbers. A hell of a lot of people liked or loved this movie. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2010, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 9 2010, 07:29 AM)
I cant believe this movie is still being discussed.

Amazing what 3-d will do to boost the popularity of a film.

It's more that that. The movie made almost $750 million domestically, and almost 2 billion dollars for the rest of the world - that's over 2.7 billion dollars worldwide. Those numbers are absolutely insane, and obviously a LOT of people saw the movie multiple times.

I'm not saying high sales numbers mean everything, as obviously they don't, but obviously a LOT of people (myself included) thought this was a great movie.

Yeah, it's obviously massive , as far as sales go, but if you are a movie buff, i just don't consider Avatar to be a movie worth discussing.

It's great entertainment, but as far as the story goes, and the dialogue, its shit, IMO.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 9 2010, 10:16 PM)

It's more that that. The movie made almost $750 million domestically, and almost 2 billion dollars for the rest of the world - that's over 2.7 billion dollars worldwide. Those numbers are absolutely insane, and obviously a LOT of people saw the movie multiple times.

I'm not saying high sales numbers mean everything, as obviously they don't, but obviously a LOT of people (myself included) thought this was a great movie.

Yeah, it's obviously massive , as far as sales go, but if you are a movie buff, i just don't consider Avatar to be a movie worth discussing.

It's great entertainment, but as far as the story goes, and the dialogue, its shit, IMO.

If its not worth discussing, why are you discussing it then? wacko.gif huh.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ May 9 2010, 05:31 PM)

I'm discussing why we are discussing it 653.gif

Beat me to it.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2010, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 9 2010, 02:31 PM)
I just saw it in 3D last week (still playing here) after initially seeing and loving it in 2D.  Didn't do much to enhance my enjoyment.  Added some depth, but that's hardly the selling point here.  If it wasn't a solid film people wouldn't care...(see Alice In Wonderland and Clash Of The Titans for 3D films that didn't exactly soar at the box office).

Precisely.

Clash of the Titans has made over 432 million worldwide - it might make it to 500 million. Not a bad showing AT ALL.

Alice In Wonderland has made 960 million worldwide - it might make it to a billion. That is highly, highly impressive by any standards. Hell, I might even want to see it if it wasn't a Tim Burton film. 062802puke_prv.gif

Avatar, on the other hand has made 2.7 billion plus worldwide. Those are absolutely insane numbers.

The 3-D aspect helped, but on its own could not account for those numbers. A hell of a lot of people liked or loved this movie. yes.gif

Right. And I didn't mean to imply those movies were flops, as clearly they're not...but their 3D aspects have been criticized, especially in regards to Clash.

I think you're right...that 3D has been a factor, but had it not been available in that format it still would've been a ginormous success. The FX are already great, even in 2D. Downright groundbreaking. And the story has a pretty broad appeal. Some may call it a shitty plot with shitty dialogue, but the archetypes appeal to quite a large number of folks out there or they simply wouldn't be going.

But then again the original Star Wars got a number of blasse reviews as well, calling it merely an FX extravaganza...dumb in idea and ham fisted in the dialogue department. That movie seemed to carry a bit of appeal as well....

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 9 2010, 03:34 PM)

I'm discussing why we are discussing it 653.gif

But to be clear, you're not actually discussing it, just discussing discussing it. I know if we were actually discussing it you'd find it disgusting, and I wouldn't want to disgust you by discussing it directly, so for now I will just discuss discussing it with you. If at the end of this discussion, however, we deem that it's worth discussing, would you be willing to enter into a discussion about it then? I think this is something we should discuss.

"Look, I gotta go pee, but I'd really like to continue talking about this conversation when I come back." ~ Derek Zoolander to Winona Ryder in Zoolander

Edited by rushgoober

but if you are a movie buff, i just don't consider Avatar to be a movie worth discussing.

LOL!! Snob?

I jest. If you're a self-proclaimed 'Movie Buff', you're meant to discuss EVERY movie that comes out and has an impact, you can't pick and choose. How boring would it be being an elitist 'buff' who discusses Godfather 1&2 and Shawshank all the time.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 23 2009, 11:23 AM)
I don't give a rat's ass about this flick. Another waste of hundreds of millions of $$$$
imo

which will be recouped x 10 at the box office....waste of money?how so?

Agree there. Stealth was a waste of money, since it fell short of even breaking even to the best of my knowledge. Not sure how a movie is a waste of anything when it earns 4 or 5 times what it costs to make and concurrently thrilled, pleased, or entertained millions of people worldwide.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 8 2010, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE (Astromancer @ May 8 2010, 03:30 PM)
Wow, really? f**k this movie. Very, very disappointed in Cameron. I've seen every Cameron film except Titanic, and this was just a flashy dud. Weak dialog, WEAKER story, weak "allegory", weak space marines. Watch Aliens, okay? The space marines in that movie would have had Navi hanging upside down, skinned, from goddamned soul trees.

PS: How the f**k did the Smurf's arrows pierce the windows of the gunships? How did that one pilot bitch go "I didn't sign up for this", and fly away without being shot down or court marshaled? How did the protagonist ass block the Kernel dickhead's mechsuit at the end of the movie without being turned into a big blue stain(I know they have carbon fiber level of strength bones, it wouldn't have helped that much)? How did the floating mountains float? Where were the exit wounds(i don't care about the rating)? Why are so many people Avatards?
angry.gif

Hmmm, it sounds like maybe this movie would be more appropriate for you? confused13.gif

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/Triskaidekaphobe/2008-03-27/AngerManagementPoster.jpg

wink.gif

ph34r.gif

Go watch "The Land Before Time", that's about as appropriate for an Avatar fan as anything else, based on the plot.

QUOTE (Astromancer @ May 10 2010, 07:46 PM)
Wow, really? f**k this movie. Very, very disappointed in Cameron. I've seen every Cameron film except Titanic, and this was just a flashy dud. Weak dialog, WEAKER story, weak "allegory", weak space marines. Watch Aliens, okay? The space marines in that movie would have had Navi hanging upside down, skinned, from goddamned soul trees.

PS: How the f**k did the Smurf's arrows pierce the windows of the gunships? How did that one pilot bitch go "I didn't sign up for this", and fly away without being shot down or court marshaled? How did the protagonist ass block the Kernel dickhead's mechsuit at the end of the movie without being turned into a big blue stain(I know they have carbon fiber level of strength bones, it wouldn't have helped that much)? How did the floating mountains float? Where were the exit wounds(i don't care about the rating)? Why are so many people Avatards?
angry.gif

Hmmm, it sounds like maybe this movie would be more appropriate for you? confused13.gif

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/Triskaidekaphobe/2008-03-27/AngerManagementPoster.jpg

wink.gif

ph34r.gif

Go watch "The Land Before Time", that's about as appropriate for an Avatar fan as anything else, based on the plot.

A simple plot doesn't necessarily make a dumb or unsuccessful (in terms of ability to convey it properly) or unenjoyable film. The basic story of Star Wars, for instance, is very simple....not terribly original...and rooted in archetypes you can pick and pluck from dozens of classic. That's also the reason the film is so accessible, because it's not lost up its own ass with convoluted ideas and pretentiousness.

Both films are visual marvels which is a good thing, since film is a visual medium.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 11 2010, 07:57 AM)

angry.gif

wink.gif

ph34r.gif

A simple plot doesn't necessarily make a dumb or unsuccessful (in terms of ability to convey it properly) or unenjoyable film. The basic story of Star Wars, for instance, is very simple....not terribly original...and rooted in archetypes you can pick and pluck from dozens of classic. That's also the reason the film is so accessible, because it's not lost up its own ass with convoluted ideas and pretentiousness.

Both films are visual marvels which is a good thing, since film is a visual medium.

Oh man! I'm chomping at the bit! I can't wait to respond to this! O.K. dude, where do I start? ALIENS is one of my favorite movies by the way. Kick-ass movie. I'm with you on that one. You've never seen Titanic? Statistically, you should have seen it by accident after 10 years. What have you been doing for the past decade? Studying mountain gorillas in Africa? Anyway.....

I'm guessing the arrows pierced the glass of the gunships because they hit dead on. Trajectory? Line of sight? Physics? Fantasy? Just a movie maybe? The Navi' are 10 feet high and obviously much stronger. Can you imagine the draw-back force on one of those bows? Here's one for you? How did the APC in ALIENS blow a trans-axle by going over a bump? That was a lot worse if you want to get technical.

Next...the "space-marines" you refered to in AVATAR are not Marines at all. They're mercenaries on contract. Given, a lot of them are ex-military but this isn't a military operation. It's the RDA's baby. They call the shots.

When Trudy abandoned her post during the attack on Hometree, she didn't break any rules so no action was taken against her. Also, she piloted a transport and not a 'Scorpion' gunship. So why was she even there you ask? Because it was supposed to be a shock and awe campaign. They were sending a message so they brought everything to appear more menacing I guess.

The mountains float because they contain huge amounts of unobtainium. Unobtainium floats.

The blow the protagonist Jake takes from "Kernel" Colonel Quarithch's AMP-suit? Low gravity probably reduced the downforce and he deflected it off to the side instead of taking the full force of the blow. Good move. Jake is an ex-marine you know.

I don't know what you're talking about when you mention "exit-wounds" though, but I'm sure I have an explanation.

What else do you have for me?

This is James Cameron's world anyway. Stop picking the movie apart and just enjoy it for what it is. An entertaining film and one I thought was well written.

So what about that APC's trans-axle in ALIENS? And why didn't they keep extra magazines for the pulse rifles on it? I can go all day long with this shit. Do your worst.....

QUOTE (Andrew1 @ May 11 2010, 05:33 PM)

angry.gif

wink.gif

ph34r.gif

Oh man! I'm chomping at the bit! I can't wait to respond to this! O.K. dude, where do I start? ALIENS is one of my favorite movies by the way. Kick-ass movie. I'm with you on that one. You've never seen Titanic? Statistically, you should have seen it by accident after 10 years. What have you been doing for the past decade? Studying mountain gorillas in Africa? Anyway.....

I'm guessing the arrows pierced the glass of the gunships because they hit dead on. Trajectory? Line of sight? Physics? Fantasy? Just a movie maybe? The Navi' are 10 feet high and obviously much stronger. Can you imagine the draw-back force on one of those bows? Here's one for you? How did the APC in ALIENS blow a trans-axle by going over a bump? That was a lot worse if you want to get technical.

Next...the "space-marines" you refered to in AVATAR are not Marines at all. They're mercenaries on contract. Given, a lot of them are ex-military but this isn't a military operation. It's the RDA's baby. They call the shots.

When Trudy abandoned her post during the attack on Hometree, she didn't break any rules so no action was taken against her. Also, she piloted a transport and not a 'Scorpion' gunship. So why was she even there you ask? Because it was supposed to be a shock and awe campaign. They were sending a message so they brought everything to appear more menacing I guess.

The mountains float because they contain huge amounts of unobtainium. Unobtainium floats.

The blow the protagonist Jake takes from "Kernel" Colonel Quarithch's AMP-suit? Low gravity probably reduced the downforce and he deflected it off to the side instead of taking the full force of the blow. Good move. Jake is an ex-marine you know.

I don't know what you're talking about when you mention "exit-wounds" though, but I'm sure I have an explanation.

This is James Cameron's world anyway. Stop picking the movie apart and just enjoy it for what it is. An entertaining film and one I thought was well written.

So what about that APC's trans-axle in ALIENS? And why didn't they keep extra magazines for the pulse rifles on it? I can go all day long with this shit. Do your worst.....

The APC in Aliens rolled over a lot of Xenomorphs, which, if you'll remember have concentrated acid for blood. Seems like that would f**k up a trans axle, huh? There was probably a clip shortage because Goreman was an asshole, but if you'll remember, they all had loaded pulse rifles in the rest of the scenes where they were still alive (albeit, that's not many scenes).

Also, if Unobtainium floats, why where the samples in the mercenaries base just f***ing rocks? They didn't float.

Your magical force deflecting protagonist would have been ripped apart by COLONEL Archetype's mech, no matter low the gravity. If your in even zero gravity, an object with high speed and large mass still has speed and mass. In fact, in lower gravity the mech would swing even faster and easier. If Blue bastard's strong bones somehow didn't break from a hit, they would have been disconnected, completely intact, from the rest of his body.

Also, "Just a movie" is not an excuse. If something doesn't work, it doesn't work. The setting is in what year? I think that combat craft would have glass capable of resisting Thundercat-Smurf arrows by then.

BTW, "Exit wounds" are those things that happen when a projectile exits the other side of the object that it comes in contact with. Futuristic weapons would do that sort of thing to the blue f*cks.

P.S.- Dances With Smurfs featuring Hornets from Halo 3 and Mechassault

QUOTE (Astromancer @ May 11 2010, 07:45 PM)

angry.gif

wink.gif

ph34r.gif

The APC in Aliens rolled over a lot of Xenomorphs, which, if you'll remember have concentrated acid for blood. Seems like that would f**k up a trans axle, huh? There was probably a clip shortage because Goreman was an asshole, but if you'll remember, they all had loaded pulse rifles in the rest of the scenes where they were still alive (albeit, that's not many scenes).

Also, if Unobtainium floats, why where the samples in the mercenaries base just f***ing rocks? They didn't float.

Your magical force deflecting protagonist would have been ripped apart by COLONEL Archetype's mech, no matter low the gravity. If your in even zero gravity, an object with high speed and large mass still has speed and mass. In fact, in lower gravity the mech would swing even faster and easier. If Blue bastard's strong bones somehow didn't break from a hit, they would have been disconnected, completely intact, from the rest of his body.

Also, "Just a movie" is not an excuse. If something doesn't work, it doesn't work. The setting is in what year? I think that combat craft would have glass capable of resisting Thundercat-Smurf arrows by then.

BTW, "Exit wounds" are those things that happen when a projectile exits the other side of the object that it comes in contact with. Futuristic weapons would do that sort of thing to the blue f*cks.

Very good possibility on acid eating up the trans-axle. But I figure if the tires were just smoldering when the APC rolled to a stop, then the trans-axle should have been O.K.. You don't have to remind me about the aliens having acid for blood. I am an Alien fanatic (just the first two movies though), anything after ALIENS was an embarrassment to the franchise. Did you know Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel? Really looking forward to that one. Can't wait...

Yes, I also know that Gorman ordered Apone to collect magazines from everybody. Here's what I'm getting at....If the APC was carrying automatic motion-sensored cannons that they set up outside the barricades, I would think they would also have extra munitions. Pulse rifle magazines, extra tanks for the flame-throwers, etc.. Here's another one off the top of my head...Why did Ripley take just one magazine with her when she went after Newt? I NEVER could figure that one out. Anyway....

I'm not recalling the scene you're talking about in the base where the rocks weren't floating. But I did say the mountains contained "huge" quantities of unobtainium. Maybe the rocks in the movie contained small amounts and they were outweighed by the rest?

Come on man! We don't know how strong the Navi' are. They're alien. Remember in ALIENS when the xenomorphs were busting down welded, steel doors with their bare hands? Same thing with AVATAR isn't it?

BTW, I know what exit-wounds are. I just didn't know what scene you were talking about where ther should have been some.

Dude, I understand you didn't like it and that's cool. I just like talking about shit like this. I hope you're not getting to bent out of shape over this! laugh.gif There should be a James Cameron 'Mythbusters'! My god! I'm a genius!

QUOTE (Astromancer @ May 11 2010, 06:45 PM)

angry.gif

wink.gif

ph34r.gif

I can answer that one. If you recall, Giovani Ribisi's character describes the unobtanium as "a room-temperature superconductor", and superconductors float when they are exposed to a magnetic field which is why Ribisi had to place his sample of unobtanium above the disc-shaped object on his desk for it to float, the disc-shaped object was a magnet. We can conjecture that the Hallelujah Mountains floated because they were above a large deposit of naturally-occuring magnets (lodestones), which also explains the "flux" that wreaked havoc with the pilot's instruments.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 12 2010, 01:36 PM)

angry.gif

wink.gif

ph34r.gif

I can answer that one. If you recall, Giovani Ribisi's character describes the unobtanium as "a room-temperature superconductor", and superconductors float when they are exposed to a magnetic field which is why Ribisi had to place his sample of unobtanium above the disc-shaped object on his desk for it to float, the disc-shaped object was a magnet. We can conjecture that the Hallelujah Mountains floated because they were above a large deposit of naturally-occuring magnets (lodestones), which also explains the "flux" that wreaked havoc with the pilot's instruments.

Thanks for the info Jack. I can now sleep well at night. pokey.gif

Actually, that's pretty interesting...although it's more interesting to me that you actually know that versus anything else tongue.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 12 2010, 12:45 AM)

angry.gif

wink.gif

ph34r.gif

Actually, that's pretty interesting...although it's more interesting to me that you actually know that versus anything else tongue.gif

trink39.gif

Are you kidding? TRF is powered by unobtainium, and our man Jack is in charge of keeping the flux capacitor filled with it. It's where the boys got the idea to do the Time Machine tour. Also, Jack is the fifth dentist...the one that didn't recommend sugarless gum for his patients who chew gum.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 12 2010, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 12 2010, 12:45 AM)

angry.gif

wink.gif

ph34r.gif

trink39.gif

Are you kidding? TRF is powered by unobtainium, and our man Jack is in charge of keeping the flux capacitor filled with it. It's where the boys got the idea to do the Time Machine tour. Also, Jack is the fifth dentist...the one that didn't recommend sugarless gum for his patients who chew gum.

All of you administrators and mods probably do lines of unobtainium in the backs of vans before 2.gif gigs.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 12 2010, 12:36 AM)

angry.gif

wink.gif

ph34r.gif

Wow! And I thought I was the AVATAR guru! laugh.gif Doing lines of unobtainium is over rated. It costs to much and doesn't last very long.

Good stuff Jack Aubrey!

Edited by Andrew1