Power Windows vs. Hold Your Fire

GeddyLeeRoth

Which of these 'sister' albums is better?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 'sister' albums is better?

• Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire

The first two Rush albums Peter Collins co-produced with the band (later he came back for Counterparts and Test For Echo) are sister albums, showing us a distinct style Rush fully displayed on these two albums alone. I know which I like best. How bout you guys?

Close for me, too. I've always gone with Hold Your Fire, but finally woke up to the greatness of PoW about seven years ago. I'll still have to pick HYF, but just barely. (And something tells me it'll need every vote it can get.)

One more vote for HYF.

Maybe it's because someone I don't like calls PoW his favourite album... but maybe it's more because when I listened to PoW for the first time I really didn't get why so many people consider it THE masterpiece. I like HYF and many other albums (including the debut laugh.gif ) much more.

Power Windows, my second-favorite Rush record (behind Permanent Waves). It's got great sound, excellent basslines from Geddy ("Middletown Dreams"), crazy instrumental breakdowns ("Marathon" and "Emotion Detector"), and awesome-sounding keyboards.

Almost too close to call, but went with PW, if only because I love the opening salvo, Big Money followed by Grand Designs

VERY close call, but I'd say Power Windows.

Looking at the best tracks of each, it's a tie...

The Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Marathon

Territories

Middletown Dreams

Mystic Rhythms

vs.

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Prime Mover

Mission

Turn the Page

But factoring in the rest, I'd give the edge to PW...

Emotion Detector

vs.

Lock and Key

Tai Shan

High Water

Archived