Enders

sullysue

Liquidcrystalcompass and I had a PM conversation today about those little things we've decided we couldn't ever get past in potential girlfriends/boyfriends. I'm learning that being single sucks on it's own. But, encountering other people's quirks and preferences just kind of magnifies the situation.

We're all reasonable people willing to overlook certain things and maintain an open-mindedness in order to possibly find "The One," whatever that is. So, LCC and I decided that we'd start compiling a list and thought our fellow TRF'ers would have some great (and probably hilarious) contributions. Most of them I put in there, drawing from ONE guy I was mercifully spared from getting too involved with.

This is what we have so far:

NASCAR

Country music

Any allusion to or direct mention of Britney Spears

Using words only your great grandma would (words like "gal" huh.gif )

The belief that lawnmower facts and the finer points of edging make for good conversation (Yes, my friends, this really happened. For 45 minutes. wacko.gif )

Being on the receiving end of a verbally abusive drunk dial

So, go! What are your realationship deal breakers?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 30 2009, 08:22 PM)
Holy shit!! Nascar is a deal-breaker?! I mean, I hate the damn sport but I wouldn't break up because the gf liked it.  Besides infidelity, poor hygiene, and maybe having a prehensile tail, I can't think of too many deal-breakers

Yeah, the tail thing would definitely put the fire out. laugh.gif

Sorry, yes. NASCAR is one of MY deal-breakers. Can't deal with it.

These are, of course, subjective things.

And, besides, it's sometimes a build-up of things that make the deal go bust. One tiny red flag after another will make you run for the hills.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 31 2009, 10:27 AM)
Holy shit!! Nascar is a deal-breaker?! I mean, I hate the damn sport but I wouldn't break up because the gf liked it.  Besides infidelity, poor hygiene, and maybe having a prehensile tail, I can't think of too many deal-breakers

That ex of yours must've really been an asshole if he made Nascar a deal-breaker for you wink.gif

It's not happened to me, but faking an accent [when it's not done in the context of a joke] would be a deal-breaker. I've met quite a few folks that fake an accent (even when it's done slightly) because they think it makes them seem cooler. They were wrong. It made them seem like a bigger loser

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 30 2009, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 31 2009, 10:27 AM)

That ex of yours must've really been an asshole if he made Nascar a deal-breaker for you wink.gif

It's not happened to me, but faking an accent [when it's not done in the context of a joke] would be a deal-breaker. I've met quite a few folks that fake an accent (even when it's done slightly) because they think it makes them seem cooler. They were wrong. It made them seem like a bigger loser

He's not an ex. He's an almost date. laugh.gif And, yes, he turned out to be an asshole.

I've not encountered the fake accent, but that would be annoying.

Being a condescending asshole know it all bitch when you know nothing helps put a fire out

OH WAIT

cheating on you in your own basement DOES make kicking her to the curb THAT much easier

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Jul 30 2009, 08:04 PM)
Being a condescending asshole know it all bitch when you know nothing helps put a fire out

OH WAIT

cheating on you in your own basement DOES make kicking her to the curb THAT much easier

damn, man, use steel toed boots for that kick

The poor hygiene thing would definitely bust it for me.

Anyone who wanted a "girly girl" who wears dresses and heels all the time and doesn't ever swear would be out of luck with me.

Talking baby talk, unless it's to a pet - turnoff

Some may find this sad, but I had two serious long-term relationships go bust over the issue of kids. I didn't want, they did. I had my tubes tied after the second bust-up, so it was no longer a point of contention. Anyone interested in me found out pretty quick that I was dead serious on that matter.

As for the finer details: nail-biting, chewing tobacco use (I don't mind smoking, as long as it's done outdoors - I do myself and wish I didn't, but that's another story)

Mistreatment of an animal, ESPECIALLY a dog

Bad hygiene

Drinking/drugs

Rush hater

A guy who is prettier than me (metrosexual)

Being a jerk/asshole/cheater/insensitive

Not wanting commitment and/or children

But mostly...Rush haters angry.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 30 2009, 09:54 PM)
The poor hygiene thing would definitely bust it for me.
Anyone who wanted a "girly girl" who wears dresses and heels all the time and doesn't ever swear would be out of luck with me.
Talking baby talk, unless it's to a pet - turnoff
Some may find this sad, but I had two serious long-term relationships go bust over the issue of kids. I didn't want, they did. I had my tubes tied after the second bust-up, so it was no longer a point of contention. Anyone interested in me found out pretty quick that I was dead serious on that matter.
As for the finer details: nail-biting, chewing tobacco use (I don't mind smoking, as long as it's done outdoors - I do myself and wish I didn't, but that's another story)
Mistreatment of an animal, ESPECIALLY a dog

Anyone who can't handle a woman who swears will find a huge deal-buster with me. I have a hard time carrying on a conversation without interjecting a shit, a f**k or a sonofabitch in there somewhere. Hey, what can I say? My dad was a Marine. Growing up, it wasn't weird to talk like that. confused13.gif

As for the babytalk thing... 062802puke_prv.gif

Man, there is nothing worse than that. It's gross and weird and makes me think he might be missing his mom.

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 30 2009, 09:12 PM)
gnarly farts

ugly mother

terminal vaginitis

poor cook

Alright, I have to ask. Have you been with a girl who has gnarly farts? More specifically, have you encountered a woman who farts in your presence? That's bad form. Deal-breaker to the extreme. My God. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 30 2009, 11:34 PM)
gnarly farts

ugly mother

terminal vaginitis

poor cook

Alright, I have to ask. Have you been with a girl who has gnarly farts? More specifically, have you encountered a woman who farts in your presence? That's bad form. Deal-breaker to the extreme. My God. 062802puke_prv.gif

Hey! It irritates the hell out of me when guys think they can just let fly anywhere, any time in front of the wife or GF, just because they're guys. I gave my husband a RAFT of shit once when he made a comment that he'd needed to but didn't when we were out with friends. He "didn't want to be rude". Oh, so it's okay to be rude to YOUR WIFE?????? Especially when you KNOW she can't stand it? I understand a little slip-up here and there, no big deal. But it really, sincerely pisses me off when they do it deliberately, just to get a reaction. Then they stand there and laugh.

Yeah, laugh it up. Obviously, though, you're having some GI issues and don't need to be having any sex tonight.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 30 2009, 10:42 PM)
gnarly farts

ugly mother

terminal vaginitis

poor cook

Hey! It irritates the hell out of me when guys think they can just let fly anywhere, any time in front of the wife or GF, just because they're guys. I gave my husband a RAFT of shit once when he made a comment that he'd needed to but didn't when we were out with friends. He "didn't want to be rude". Oh, so it's okay to be rude to YOUR WIFE?????? Especially when you KNOW she can't stand it? I understand a little slip-up here and there, no big deal. But it really, sincerely pisses me off when they do it deliberately, just to get a reaction. Then they stand there and laugh.

Yeah, laugh it up. Obviously, though, you're having some GI issues and don't need to be having any sex tonight.

laugh.gif

How do I phrase that in "the list" ?

-Promiscuity

-Disregard for property or other rights of others

-She feels like she HAS to be in CONSTANT communication with you, even if you haven't started seeing each other yet. O_o

-Gossiping

-If she has the inability to carry on a conversation that requires deep thought, it's not going to work.

I can't say much, though, because my 17 years have been entirely kissless and single. laugh.gif

I'm pretty easy going but ya a few things irk me:

-bad hygiene (if the guy looks like he hasn't seen a bar of soap in years it's not happening)

- smoking (mostly cause my lungs are bad enough as it is) although weed is fine

-Abuse (emotionally or physically)

- Abuse towards animals or children

- Prissy guys (guys who don't like to get dirty or go on adventures, ya it's not gonna work)

- Rush haters- they dont have to love the band like I do, just understand that when they go on tour, Im going travelling to see them with or without them... nothing personal but it's my fave band and nobody will be stopping me from seeing them

- People who I can't have a conversation with (they can be the hottest thing on earth but that's only good for a night.. to date me they gotta be able to talk to me)

I'm really lucky that my boyfriend is none of these! moose.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 30 2009, 11:12 PM)
I'm pretty easy going but ya a few things irk me:

-bad hygiene (if the guy looks like he hasn't seen a bar of soap in years it's not happening)
- smoking (mostly cause my lungs are bad enough as it is) although weed is fine
-Abuse (emotionally or physically)
- Abuse towards animals or children
- Prissy guys (guys who don't like to get dirty or go on adventures, ya it's not gonna work)
- Rush haters- they dont have to love the band like I do, just understand that when they go on tour, Im going travelling to see them with or without them... nothing personal but it's my fave band and nobody will be stopping me from seeing them
- People who I can't have a conversation with (they can be the hottest thing on earth but that's only good for a night.. to date me they gotta be able to talk to me)

I'm really lucky that my boyfriend is none of these! moose.gif wub.gif

OK. Definite addition to the list needs to be Rush Hater. yes.gif

I think anyone on this board will agree that if someone we're interested in says, "I don't like Rush," (which I've heard and had a hard time comprehending the words. I think I may have experienced an eye twitch.) we experience an immediate no-deal sensation.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 30 2009, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 30 2009, 10:29 PM)
Really? Because someone doesn't like a band that you do? Wow.....there's LOTS of people out there who don't like Rush....

Yeah, I wouldn't base my decision on something so subjective.

And, like I said before, it's all subjective. Let me put it this way: If you found someone who couldn't tolerate listening to Rush and you love listening to Rush, how is that going to work out? It's the same as if you found someone who loves listening to a band you can't stand one note of and they love them and they listen to them all the time, what do you do?

gnarly farts

ugly mother

terminal vaginitis

poor cook

I've been with a girl, long ago, who had SOMETHING that needed taking care of down below...but I held my breath and did..well you know

TODAY: we laugh at each other's farts, burps et al and say HEY wasn't that the close encounters thingy? ba baaa ba bu boooo!? or maybe the NBC tune?

Archived