• End the band altogether
    • Get a new drummer and still call it Rush
    • Get a new drummer and call it a new name
    • Form a new band altogether with more musicians
    • Call Mike Portnoy
    • Go their seperate ways
    • Keep working together with other musicians
    • Do solo projects and solo albums alone
    • Wait for Neil to cool off after the baby, etc.
    • It will never happen

Okay, so I was thinking: What if Neil decides he has had enough and decides to leave Rush and decides he does not want to be in the band anymore?

Should Alex and Geddy keep the band going? Why should they end the band because he is not in it, if that is what some feel should happen? Or can it never be Rush without Neil?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no.gif John Bonham no.gif Led Zeppelin

no.gif Neil Peart no.gif Rush

It would be interesting what direction Alex &Geddy would go in they seem to have different musical taste, but imagine they would still work together in new project.

I imagine you'd see Geddy and Alex working on solo projects with other musicians, but perhaps ALSO playing together again, down the road, with another drummer under a different moniker.

That would be the end of Rush. Neil is Rush, as are Geddy and Alex. Take one factor away and it isn't Rush anymore. Neil writes the songs, people go to see that powerhouse of a man hit the drums. I think if Neil said he wanted out, Alex and Geddy would pursue music but down their own paths. Which is fine by me I guess. I wouldn't mind hearing more solo material from Geddy and Al.

I definitely remember reading either Geddy or Alex saying before Neil came back from his hiatus in the late '90s/early '00s that if he really decided his heart wasn't in the band anymore, the other two would continue making music together in some capacity, but not under the Rush name.

Get Mike Portnoy.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

They would lure Ringo Starr out of retirement. laugh.gif

I kid...I kid.

I'm sure Alex and Geddy would pursue other avenues, but I think Rush would cease to exist. But I think Rush is flowing through all three of their veins. At some point, I think Neil would miss it. He did after the tragedies.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 8 2009, 03:08 PM)
That would be the end of Rush. Neil is Rush, as are Geddy and Alex. Take one factor away and it isn't Rush anymore. Neil writes the songs, people go to see that powerhouse of a man hit the drums. I think if Neil said he wanted out, Alex and Geddy would pursue music but down their own paths. Which is fine by me I guess. I wouldn't mind hearing more solo material from Geddy and Al.

goodpost.gif

now I'm fantasizing about a new prog supergroup with Geddy, Alex, Ian anderson(let Ged stick to bass =)) and Bill Bruford. maybe Peter Gabriel too... or even Gavin instead of Bruford... wow man, think of it! might be a little less rockin but more epic and trippy. it'd be kinda like a new Pink Floyd!

When John Rutsey left the band, Alex and Geddy carried on as Rush.

John was one of the guys in the earliest incarnation of Rush in the late 60's with Alex a few months before Geddy came along.

Even though Neil has been with the band for many years, I still believe the band is Alex and Geddy.

John Rutsey also contributed to the early success of Rush as well because the debut album from 1974 was the highest selling debut in Mercury Records history at that point in time.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 8 2009, 05:08 PM)

I like think to think of Rush as a burning flame. Three things must be present for combustion to happen -- oxygen, fuel, and heat. Take one of those things out, and there is no fire. It's the same thing with Rush. Take one member out, and the band will NEVER be the same. Rush can't be called Rush.

Someone mentioned Rutsey. Yes, they carried on after his departure, but he was with the band for a fairly short time. Neil has been with Rush for 35 years! And not only that, but they had pretty well all their success with him. And let's not forget his tragedy. Yes, their relationship still withstood this obstacle.

I, for one, can't see Neil ditching the band. I think they've been through too much together and their relationship is too strong. No Neil, no Rush. The same applies to the others; no Alex, no Rush; no Geddy, no Rush. Besides, their longevity is astounding -- they've survived 35 years together, even all the lows. I think if they can withstand that, they can withstand anything.

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 8 2009, 05:09 PM)
Even though Neil has been with the band for many years, I still believe the band is Alex and Geddy.

well Rush is known Largly for the amazing drums and thought provoking lyrics so I believe the band is Neil Peart. so there! tongue.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jul 8 2009, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 8 2009, 05:09 PM)

well Rush is known Largly for the amazing drums and thought provoking lyrics so I believe the band is Neil Peart. so there! tongue.gif

goodpost.gif ... and there! laugh.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jul 8 2009, 06:19 PM)
I like think to think of Rush as a burning flame. Three things must be present for combustion to happen -- oxygen, fuel, and heat.

very cool analogy!! it's SPARK instead of heat though. heat is the RESULT.

cuz them boys can COOK BABY!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jul 8 2009, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jul 8 2009, 06:19 PM)
I like think to think of Rush as a burning flame. Three things must be present for combustion to happen -- oxygen, fuel, and heat.

it's SPARK instead of heat though. heat is the RESULT.

Yes, the result is energy being released in the form of heat and light -- fire. The spark is also energy being released in form of heat, and oftentimes light. The fuel and oxygen are what keep the spark going in a flame.

dude what the hell... the guy is having a kid, he's not dying. What's with all this "what if Neil leaves" talk. Rush is a part of his life now... there's no way he's going to call it quits yet. If his previous tragedies didn't kill Rush, what makes anyone think this will?

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 8 2009, 03:09 PM)

John was one of the guys in the earliest incarnation of Rush in the late 60's with Alex a few months before Geddy came along.

John Rutsey also contributed to the early success of Rush as well because the debut album from 1974 was the highest selling debut in Mercury Records history at that point in time.

Probably one of the worst posts I've ever seen on this forum. You really think Rush could exist in this day and age without Neil?

EDIT: Not dissing Rutsey. I know he was important in their early development. My comment was more aimed at the line about Geddy and Alex being Rush and Neil not getting that same distinction.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 8 2009, 07:00 PM)
QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 8 2009, 03:09 PM)

Probably one of the worst posts I've ever seen on this forum. You really think Rush could exist in this day and age without Neil?

EDIT: Not dissing Rutsey. I know he was important in their early development. My comment was more aimed at the line about Geddy and Alex being Rush and Neil not getting that same distinction.

I think they could......but not sure if they will or not..........who knows

Rush would cease to exist. I think Neil would probably take some time off and then go the way of Bill Bruford and Steve Smith and get involved in something jazzy. That would be great actually since I have both "Burnin' for Buddy" albums.

Geddy and Alex might would do solo efforts again.

Archived