Neil going to be a father

vaportrails14

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why everyone thinks this is going to jeopardize the existence of Rush.

If anything, this new development may motivate Neil to go out and make more money.

He needs to maintain his lifestyle.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 28 2009, 11:03 PM)
I seriously doubt they're going to stop writing/touring just because Neil's having a child. If anything they'll just put it off for a year or so. They probably won't be doing another 2-year tour or anything, but I can't see them going into retire mode just yet.

goodpost.gif

Exactly...this is what I think to. It may delay the next album/tour by a bit, but ultimately, I'm confident that RUSH will return for another round.

It's understandable for him to want to spend this first while with his wife and new baby. But again, I think ultimately, he'll return to the studio with Ged and Al to write some new material, and like others have said, this new birth may actually inspire/motivate Neil to write some new material.

Either way...congrats to both Neil and Carrie!! 653.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Jun 28 2009, 09:18 AM)
th1245.gif Yeay!!!! th1245.gif You go, Neil!!!! Many congrats to you and your wife.

Can't wait to see the mini side car edition on Neil's motorcycle...

everybody all together now -"Awwwwwww"

Cute picture that put in my head! Mini goggles and a loose, white, flowing scarf while the kid sits in a carseat in the sidecar. Batting at little toys attached to the carseat handle. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jun 29 2009, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (librarian @ Jun 28 2009, 09:18 AM)
th1245.gif Yeay!!!! th1245.gif  You go, Neil!!!! Many congrats to you and your wife.

Can't wait to see the mini side car edition on Neil's motorcycle...

everybody all together now -"Awwwwwww"

Cute picture that put in my head! Mini goggles and a loose, white, flowing scarf while the kid sits in a carseat in the sidecar. Batting at little toys attached to the carseat handle. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

batting at a plush drum, I'll bet - or a plush camera!

Anyone starting a "name neil's baby" thread?

I'm in...

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2009, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jun 28 2009, 09:30 AM)
Rush will tour (america & canada) again, im pretty sure. Its really a question of When, not If.

Im not putting my money on that after this news. Great for Neil, not great for Rush as a band.

Geddy and Alex wouldn't have suggested that they were going into the studio if they weren't going too be. They will have known for atleast 5 or 6 months now that Carrie is pregnant I would think.

Rush has toured for all of its albums. Chances are it will tour (Atleast north america) for the next one.

I wouldn't be surprised to see long breaks between dates, and a small amount of dates over a long period of time.... 50 dates in 6 months [9 shows per month, or approx 2 per week] or whatever they decide.

Awesome news, this has got to be great for Neil biggrin.gif

Now all we need to do is have the baby's first words be..

"Play somethin' off Caress of Steel, pop!"

1.) Congrats to Neil and Carrie!

2.) If Neil's personal tragedies in the 90s didn't cause the end of Rush, I doubt this will.

I'll bet Geddy and Alex start writing this fall despite this news. Neil can still send them some lyrics (how do we know he hasn't already?) and G & A can spend the fall working on some new songs. Much of Neil's work in these early stages (i.e. lyric writing) can be done from home.

By Spring 2010, if some new song sketches are ready to be worked on, Neil's kid will be coming up on a year old, so it's not tough to imagine him being able to do some studio work. The band could always record the new album in LA, allowing him to commute home every day...just like a "normal" job.

And if they did decide to kick off a tour (late 2010?), it could always be a scaled-back affair (fewer number of dates, more breaks between shows, etc).

So, there's lots of middle ground to be found that allows for family time without calling a complete end to the band.

QUOTE (vaportrails14 @ Jun 27 2009, 07:28 AM)
i just read on RIAB the Neil and his wife are expecting a baby i think that is wonderful news for i have a 2 year and a 1 year old congrats to Neil and his wife

I think he got tired of being considered a mother

My interwebs connection has been down so I just found out about this.

First of all, congrats to them. Second, if Neil decides to retire and be a full-time dad I support him fully and, while I will miss their tours and future albums, I can't blame him if decides to drop out. Having the baby will finally let him heal from the past.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jun 27 2009, 07:51 AM)
Congratulations Carrie and Neil. 7 Months (At the time Neil Wrote that section of his 'story').

QUOTE (Neil Peart @  NP News June 2009)

... At the same time, under that same marine layer, my wife Carrie was seven months pregnant. [Pause for sharp intake of breath and shiver of apprehension.] Our baby was growing and kicking, protected and insulated in its own oceanic fluid, its own marine layer. The anxious (not to say terrified) father kind of wished the baby could stay there, safe from harm, and not have to embark upon a life of menace and potential tragedy. He had lost before, and probably couldn't stand to lose again. People kept saying it was going to be all right, and he tried to keep telling himself that. Even in the June Gloom. ...

tho Neil will never read this:

Yea, You lost before. Who hasn't? O.k. - the extremes are REALLY tough sometimes, I know. But hey, remember that 'shoot the crap' quote?

You got it. Nothing wrong with being terrified (or anxious), especially after wicked experience has wrought much to rue, but stay focused on the here and now and enjoy the bumpy ride...

cool.gif

oh yea, and congratulations!

Just stumbled across this yesterday and this is my first real chance to post my thoughts. First of all, this is great news for Neil and Carrie as a couple and I congratulate them.

Second of all, I hope this doesn't mean he hangs it up with Rush but given his age I would understand it if he did so he could invest his remaining time in his child. This may also mean no more cross-continent motorcycle trips. smile.gif

Of course, I would hope Neil sees this as a miracle of grace and an amazing gift to help him heal more (complete recovery in this lifetime from the losses he's sustained seems hard to imagine).

I mentioned this to RockTheCradle (my wife) and she and I agree that he could write some powerful lyrics out of this new chapter in his life.

I hope he'll embrace that opportunity and work on some stuff this fall with Geddy and Alex, even if remotely at first as he and Carrie settle into their roles as parents.

I wish them all the best regardless of what this means for him professionally and us as fans.

P.S.: As for touring, I would hope he would be willing to tour to support their next work, even if on a 40-or-so-city jaunt through North America, not an extensive effort like the SnA tours.

QUOTE (skyswing @ Jul 2 2009, 07:46 AM)
I mentioned this to RockTheCradle (my wife) and she and I agree that he could write some powerful lyrics out of this new chapter in his life.

I can see it now:

New album, 2012:

The band that ROCKS the cradle

1.) Enfamil costs Big Money!

2.) Diadects and Muppets

3.) Superconductors.. are dangerous for babies!

4.) Dirty Diapers: Part V of fear

5.) What's THAT smell? (featuring Harry Satchel)

6.) Leave That Thing Alone!, Book II

7.) To take his temperature, In the End..

8.) ABC (instrumental)

9.) She's never In the Mood anymore

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jul 2 2009, 08:40 AM)

I can see it now:

New album, 2012:

2.) Diadects and Muppets

8.) ABC (instrumental)

laugh.gif

Too funny DD!

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 2 2009, 07:44 AM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jul 2 2009, 08:40 AM)

I can see it now:

New album, 2012:

2.) Diadects and Muppets

8.) ABC (instrumental)

laugh.gif

Too funny DD!

Too cute! laugh.gif

I am excited for Neil. What a wonderful second chance to be able to experience fatherhood again...

Its the ultimate gift for any man or woman.

It couldn't happen to a better guy! He's definitely ready, emotionally. Still remembering Selena!

Archived