Neil going to be a father

vaportrails14

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 27 2009, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Jun 27 2009, 05:49 PM)
Honestly, it's probably better that Neil is older. The older the parent, the more wisdom he has, and that he can instill upon the child.

Well, there is that. But a younger dad is better able to DO stuff with the kid, as a rule. It depends on the parent, of course, and how well they take care of themselves. Neil has about a 40-year cig habit, for one thing.

My college boyfriend had an older dad - he was in his late 70's when BF started college. When BF was a sophomore, his dad died suddenly. That's a lot of time you DON'T get to have your dad around. By comparison, I am 41; my dad just turned 70 a couple of weeks ago.

But better a great older dad than a shitty younger one. yes.gif

A person's age has nothing to do with how good of a parent they will make. Not that Im advocating teenage parents but a person who is 18 can be just as shitty a parent as they would be if they were 40. It depends on the person and their level of maturity. I know plenty of horrible parents in their 30s+ and plenty of good ones too by the same token I know quite a few really good parents in their early 20s as well. Some people just really shouldn't have children if they're not prepared to make the sacrifices that come along with becoming a parent.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 27 2009, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 27 2009, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 27 2009, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 27 2009, 04:09 PM)
WTF, yeah because a girl couldn't be a drummer, could she?? huh.gif

Right on Jaye! 1022.gif

Yeah - rock music sure has plenty of legendary female drummers.

For starters, there's... oh.

thats what I was thinking........sorry I can't name any (and don't say Meg White, FFS)

I'm surprised you didn't call them out on it yourself, man. tongue.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 27 2009, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 27 2009, 06:12 PM)

Right on Jaye! 1022.gif

thats what I was thinking........sorry I can't name any (and don't say Meg White, FFS)

I'm surprised you didn't call them out on it yourself, man. tongue.gif trink39.gif

hahaha......I've been enough of an ass today......

Wow, congrats to Neil and Carrie. I'm sure that a lot of thought and heartache went into this decision and I'm guessing it wasn't taken lightly. For Neil to take this step again shows a lot of bravery on his part. He knows what the fates (or whatever) can do and has now taken the step to become a father again. Good for him!! I'll be hoping for a safe, easy delivery and a happy healthy mom and baby.

As for his age, I don't think in today's world that's much of an issue. Plenty of people are having babies later in life. People live longer than ever before and are more active.

How lovely. smile.gif

If they don't record anything soon at least it'll be for the best of reasons, not the worst like the last hiatus.

Way to go Carrie and Neil! common001.gif What superlative news. Screw a new album and tour. (bites tongue hard) Take care of bidness daddy-o. May this experience give rise to another inspired work of art.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 27 2009, 11:12 PM)

Right on Jaye! 1022.gif

Oh, they're around tongue.gif

Congrats to Neil and Carrie....

What..no thread on a name yet?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 27 2009, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 27 2009, 02:39 PM)
Why all the questioning of  a guy his age having a child?  It happens all the time.

Yeah, it's not real common though (he's almost 60)

He's in great shape though. I think he's perfectly fit to have a kid. If he's too old to have a child we might as well be saying he's too old to be drumming for two and a half hours every night for two years.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jun 27 2009, 07:51 AM)
Congratulations Carrie and Neil. 7 Months (At the time Neil Wrote that section of his 'story').

QUOTE (Neil Peart @  NP News June 2009)

... At the same time, under that same marine layer, my wife Carrie was seven months pregnant. [Pause for sharp intake of breath and shiver of apprehension.] Our baby was growing and kicking, protected and insulated in its own oceanic fluid, its own marine layer. The anxious (not to say terrified) father kind of wished the baby could stay there, safe from harm, and not have to embark upon a life of menace and potential tragedy. He had lost before, and probably couldn't stand to lose again. People kept saying it was going to be all right, and he tried to keep telling himself that. Even in the June Gloom. ...

congrats, but what he wrote, can he at least sound upbeat??

how friggin depressing.

he'd better write something inspirational or upbeat on the next album if there is one.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 27 2009, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 27 2009, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 27 2009, 02:39 PM)
Why all the questioning of  a guy his age having a child?  It happens all the time.

Yeah, it's not real common though (he's almost 60)

He's in great shape though. I think he's perfectly fit to have a kid. If he's too old to have a child we might as well be saying he's too old to be drumming for two and a half hours every night for two years.

big difference between playing drums and raising a child.

when the kid is 20, neil will be late 70's?

the kid will be set financially though.

I guess it's never too late.

Interesting that he's having a child so late in life, but Im sure he's very happy which is all that matters.

Obviously he's in a little different situation after having lost his previous child, so late is better than never I suppose.

My initial reaction was a warm feeling coming over me with a smile across my face.

I know of very few people who have been through what Neil has and this man deserves every ounce of joy that life has to offer. For someone to have come through such a devastating ordeal and reached this point, is to me, inspirational.

Neil. If you read this, I can't even begin to thank you ( and the boys ) enough for how happy your work has made me feel over the last 30 years. My only hope is that you receive that degree of happiness tenfold in return.

QUOTE (DallasRUSHian @ Jun 28 2009, 12:48 AM)
Perhaps they'll think of recording in L.A., so he can be close to home.

Kids ARE portable, especially as babies. They pretty much fit anywhere.

I can see them recording.... but touring?

For someone like Neil, who dislikes touring at the best of times... having a child is likely one more reason for him to want and need to stay close to home.

I think this may put off the next tour until spring of 2011 at the most. Wait until the baby is a year and a half old and sleeping in a more normal sort of pattern and then they can go full steam ahead and tour if they want.

But hell, with these guys' 'the show must go on' attitude, you never know, they may not miss a beat and do it in 2010, and Neil may not mind the tour as much with a baby to keep him in good spirits. lol I know, wishful thinking eh?

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 28 2009, 12:51 AM)

goodpost.gif

Seriously! I've been thinking the same thing..now is the BEST time to tour..well, after Baby Peart makes an appearance. Tuck the kid in a bag and go!

Neil could certainly get a bus with ALL the amenities and have Baby Peart and Carrie travel in style and comfort and safety. Money definitely buys these things. And he'd still get to ride the motorcycle.

Jeez folks, stop tolling the bell...RUSH has at least one good album left..and yes, perhaps more positive!...they'll tour, and then, maybe its over.

We anxiously await your arrival Baby Peart...you are in for quite a ride. smile.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 27 2009, 03:44 PM)
Not to be nitpicky, but Neil already IS a father. Parents who have lost a child usually still consider themselves that child's parent. I know when someone asks my dad or mom if they have children, both say "two daughters", and then qualify that one is no longer living.

you are absolutely correct Mara...not a nitpicky thought at all. And I believe he'd be offended to think people believed otherwise

This doesn't surprise me at all, I was expecting this at some point. I remember reading in one of his books he made reference to him and Carrie possibly having a child together some day. I am thrilled for him and his wife, they will be great parents. From what I have read from Neil it sounds like they have a great marriage, this will be a great addition to the wonderful life Neil and Carrie have created together. I wish them the very best.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jun 28 2009, 12:33 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 28 2009, 12:51 AM)

goodpost.gif

Seriously! I've been thinking the same thing..now is the BEST time to tour..well, after Baby Peart makes an appearance. Tuck the kid in a bag and go!

Neil could certainly get a bus with ALL the amenities and have Baby Peart and Carrie travel in style and comfort and safety. Money definitely buys these things. And he'd still get to ride the motorcycle.

Jeez folks, stop tolling the bell...RUSH has at least one good album left..and yes, perhaps more positive!...they'll tour, and then, maybe its over.

We anxiously await your arrival Baby Peart...you are in for quite a ride. smile.gif

Though I have no doubt money would allow them to have a bus with all the amenities, it's hard to imagine that either Neil or Carrie would favor that over being in their own home, caring for their child in the comfort and familiarity of home.

I know that tons of musicians opt for caring for their newborn while on the road but given Neil's preference for avoiding the stresses of touring, it's hard for me to imagine that he'd think it's a great idea to take a baby out on the road.

Archived