Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies Ever

rushgoober

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2009, 12:30 PM)
We went out of town to visit relatives this weekend. I brought my copy of 'Blade Runner' with me because my Aunt Jackie had never seen it and she loves movies like it (she introduced me to 'Clockwork Orange' when I was 19 and I always try to return the favor by introducing her to movies that I love and I was rewarded by the fact that she loved it, she even said that she'd never liked Rutger Hauer but his performance as Batty made her re-think him as an actor). After we watched it she asked me if Deckard was a replicant and we discussed why I thought he was. She basically agreed, saying she got the feeling that he was about halfway through the movie. I did, though, come up with an counter argument for my "he has to be a replicant because it would take one to catch one" assertion. We learn in Deckard's first meeting with Bryant that the replicants were "developing their own emotional responses" so if you follow that, you can come to the conclusion that one of the emotions Batty was feeling was guilt, which could have led to his getting caught because he knew he had done wrong and needed to be punished for it. That is, after all, how most criminals are caught - their guilt makes them slip up on some level which usually leads to their capture.

Now I still think Deckard was a replicant, but it is something to at least consider.

By the way, GR, have you seen Ridley Scott's final cut of 'Blade Runner'? If you haven't, then please watch it at the earliest opportunity because it's so much better than any of the other versions.

I haven't watched the Final Cut version... I'm gonna have to watch that now. Thanks Jack! smile.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 26 2009, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2009, 12:30 PM)
We went out of town to visit relatives this weekend. I brought my copy of 'Blade Runner' with me because my Aunt Jackie had never seen it and she loves movies like it (she introduced me to 'Clockwork Orange' when I was 19 and I always try to return the favor by introducing her to movies that I love and I was rewarded by the fact that she loved it, she even said that she'd never liked Rutger Hauer but his performance as Batty made her re-think him as an actor). After we watched it she asked me if Deckard was a replicant and we discussed why I thought he was. She basically agreed, saying she got the feeling that he was about halfway through the movie. I did, though, come up with an counter argument for my "he has to be a replicant because it would take one to catch one" assertion. We learn in Deckard's first meeting with Bryant that the replicants were "developing their own emotional responses" so if you follow that, you can come to the conclusion that one of the emotions Batty was feeling was guilt, which could have led to his getting caught because he knew he had done wrong and needed to be punished for it. That is, after all, how most criminals are caught - their guilt makes them slip up on some level which usually leads to their capture.

Now I still think Deckard was a replicant, but it is something to at least consider.

By the way, GR, have you seen Ridley Scott's final cut of 'Blade Runner'? If you haven't, then please watch it at the earliest opportunity because it's so much better than any of the other versions.

I haven't watched the Final Cut version... I'm gonna have to watch that now. Thanks Jack! smile.gif

My pleasure, sweetie. You're in for a treat! yes.gif

A lot of my favourites would be similar to those mentioned but three that are missing which I have watched several times are

War of the Worlds (1960s?)

The Time Machine (1960)

The Omega Man (1969?)

QUOTE (Margana @ May 26 2009, 04:22 PM)
A lot of my favourites would be similar to those mentioned but three that are missing which I have watched several times are

The Time Machine (1960)

The Omega Man (1969?)

goodpost.gif

And Soylent Green!

QUOTE (goose @ May 26 2009, 04:37 PM)

The Time Machine (1960)

The Omega Man (1969?)

goodpost.gif

And Soylent Green!

and Westworld!!

the rest of mine are pretty redundant

Alien/Aliens

T1/T2

Bladerunner

The Abyss (directors)

The Thing (Kurt Russell)

Starman

Khaaaaaan!

Star Wars/Empire

Ooooo... "The Omega Man"! Forgot that one. Excellent movie!

QUOTE (goose @ May 26 2009, 07:37 PM)

The Time Machine (1960)

The Omega Man (1969?)

goodpost.gif

And Soylent Green!

Yes...Soylent Green....it's Peeepaaaalllllllllllllll!

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 26 2009, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ May 26 2009, 04:37 PM)

The Time Machine (1960)

The Omega Man (1969?)

goodpost.gif

And Soylent Green!

and Westworld!!

Nothing can go wrong (...can go wrong...can go wrong...can go wrong...)

yes.gif

Blade Runner

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

The Matrix

Terminator 2

City of Lost Children

Alien

Planet of the Apes (1968)

The Thing

Jurassic Park

Honorable Mentions: The Man Who Fell to Earth, Men in Black, Star Trek 2009, The Search For Spock, First Contact and Insurrection.

Edited by VampireBiscuits

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ May 29 2009, 03:04 PM)
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Terminator 2
City of Lost Children
Alien
The Thing
Jurassic Park

Honorable Mentions: The Man Who Fell to Earth, Men in Black, Star Trek 2009, The Search For Spock, First Contact and Insurrection.

Cool, someone listed 'Blade Runner' as their number one! trink39.gif

By the way, when you mention 'The Thing' are you referring to the original or the remake? I love both, myself.

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ May 29 2009, 02:04 PM)
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Terminator 2
City of Lost Children
Alien
The Thing
Jurassic Park

That's a good list.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 29 2009, 03:46 PM)
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Terminator 2
City of Lost Children
Alien
The Thing
Jurassic Park

That's a good list.

I was thinking the same thing. Planet of the Apes 1968 1287.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 29 2009, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ May 29 2009, 03:04 PM)
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Terminator 2
City of Lost Children
Alien
The Thing
Jurassic Park

Cool, someone listed 'Blade Runner' as their number one! trink39.gif

By the way, when you mention 'The Thing' are you referring to the original or the remake? I love both, myself.

I was referring to the remake- its one of my favorite movies in general too, not just sci-fi. I love when sci-fi and horror cross and rarely is it ever done as well as in that movie.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 29 2009, 01:46 PM)
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Terminator 2
City of Lost Children
Alien
The Thing
Jurassic Park

That's a good list.

Thank you! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ May 29 2009, 05:06 PM)
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Terminator 2
City of Lost Children
Alien
The Thing
Jurassic Park

That's a good list.

Thank you! biggrin.gif

Hey, I recall some of your previous "concerned" posts about the new Star Trek movie. I see it made your honorable mentions, so I guess you liked it!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 29 2009, 02:25 PM)
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Terminator 2
City of Lost Children
Alien
The Thing
Jurassic Park

That's a good list.

Thank you! biggrin.gif

Hey, I recall some of your previous "concerned" posts about the new Star Trek movie. I see it made your honorable mentions, so I guess you liked it!

Haha yes, I was concerned in the beginning but as time went on- the more I found out about the movie the more I warmed up to it and by the time the movie had been released I was feeling very optimistic and ended up loving it. I saw it twice the opening weekend and am going to see it again soon.

What did you think?

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ May 29 2009, 06:30 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 29 2009, 02:25 PM)
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Terminator 2
City of Lost Children
Alien
The Thing
Jurassic Park

That's a good list.

Thank you! biggrin.gif

Haha yes, I was concerned in the beginning but as time went on- the more I found out about the movie the more I warmed up to it and by the time the movie had been released I was feeling very optimistic and ended up loving it. I saw it twice the opening weekend and am going to see it again soon.

What did you think?

I liked it very much. I saw it twice and both times I had a blast. The cast did a fantastic job.