Britain's Got Talent

GhostGirl

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Apr 16 2009, 10:57 PM)
I hate these types of shows but had to checkout what all the fuss was about... she was great! I don't know how obvious it was to her that the audience and judges were ready to have a laugh at her expense but she seemed to take it well. Good for her to have the courage to get up on stage, hope she can make some decent cash off of this.

She has a terrific attitude. This couldn't happen to a better person.

Yes, I hate these types of shows as well (have never seen AI), but I had to see what the fuss was about. I am glad I did. I've watched it several times, and damned if I don't sit there with tears streaming down my cheeks. She's incredible.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 16 2009, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 16 2009, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 16 2009, 04:23 PM)
I saw her interviewed on Entertainment Tonight and I didn't think she looked awful. Somehow she looked better in the interview than she did on stage. I blame the makeup department on the British show.

eyesre4.gif

The British know f**k all about makeup eh?

yeah, um, whatever that comment means. huh.gif

Well darling, while BGT is a television show, there isn't enough time nor resources to put make up on the amount of people auditioning.

You see people come to the audition in their own clothes and makeup. (Amazingly this is also true of America's got Talent too!) The show must run through as many people as they can in the allotted time. Hence there is no way that the show is going to waste money on make up for all those folks when 90% of them don't even end up on telly.

So Brits must know shit about makeup as that poor misguided Susan did her own; and you think she looked like shit until she came to America where she was a specific guest on the program and actually had a telly makeup artist do her makeup.

See what that comment means?

Yes now that was excellent, great singing. And great to see someone blowing those idiot judges away like that. If only she could have made them disappear altogether...

The woman seems a funny and cool person too and doesn't look as bad as everybody was making out. Even without the singing she had charisma, i don't see how it was all such a big shock.

And she sounds a LOT BETTER than Elaine Page too...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 17 2009, 07:41 AM)
Yes now that was excellent, great singing. And great to see someone blowing those idiot judges away like that. If only she could have made them disappear altogether...

The woman seems a funny and cool person too and doesn't look as bad as everybody was making out. Even without the singing she had charisma, i don't see how it was all such a big shock.

Yep. Saw her at her home on GMTV this morning. Apparently she's been inundated with autograph seekers and fans. Good for her.

She's got that awesome UK sense of humour and she is what she is and is damn proud of it as she should be.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You've misread my comment, "dear". I don't give a rat's ass in the end about reality TV, who puts on the makeup, or whatever.

I think she's a talented singer no matter what she looks like. I'm sorry that Brits know "f**k" about makeup, but then what Brits do is not uppermost in my mind.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 17 2009, 12:20 PM)
You've misread my comment, "dear". I don't give a rat's ass in the end about reality TV, who puts on the makeup, or whatever.

I think she's a talented singer no matter what she looks like. I'm sorry that Brits know "f**k" about makeup, but then what Brits do is not uppermost in my mind.

All right hon.

Luv u wub.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 17 2009, 04:11 AM)

Yep. Saw her at her home on GMTV this morning. Apparently she's been inundated with autograph seekers and fans. Good for her.

She's got that awesome UK sense of humour and she is what she is and is damn proud of it as she should be.

She does seem to be the sort of person who'd be great company. Mrs. Huck, the general consensus in the States is that she seemed "simple" and completely clueless that everyone was so ready to laugh at her. Am I right in thinking that perhaps she knew all along, and was kind of looking forward to "taking the piss" out of the audience and the judges? I mean, she had to know even before this that her voice is something otherworldly.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 17 2009, 12:31 PM)

She does seem to be the sort of person who'd be great company. Mrs. Huck, the general consensus in the States is that she seemed "simple" and completely clueless that everyone was so ready to laugh at her. Am I right in thinking that perhaps she knew all along, and was kind of looking forward to "taking the piss" out of the audience and the judges? I mean, she had to know even before this that her voice is something otherworldly.

I don't know.

I think , and this is only my opinion, that she's been a hard working gal who liked to sing and well, you know if you don't know the right folks and have connections, you don't get "discovered". (I have the same theory about racehorses but that's another thread). And sometimes I think if you want something enough, you just pursue that forever and don't get sidetracked by life. You know? Maybe it was a dream but she really didn't believe in herself enough or didn't have the drive or whatever?

I loved the whole thing whether she knew or not though. wub.gif

*edit: I have to add that I don't recognize my voice on tape so maybe she didn't realize her singing voice was great? Dunno, just a thought.

Edited by Mrs. Huck Rogers

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 AM)
Am I right in thinking that perhaps she knew all along, and was kind of looking forward to "taking the piss" out of the audience and the judges? I mean, she had to know even before this that her voice is something otherworldly.

Maybe not. Some people are so humble, or have such low self-esteem, they seem unaware of just how talented they are.

Perhaps the best vocalist on AI was like that: Melinda Doolittle. Shy, quiet, and unaware of her immense abilities, even though she had a prior career as a professional backup singer. She looked like she wanted to run away and hide, and had to be pumped-up by the judges constantly. She finished in third place on Season 6, but Simon Cowell later said she should've won.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 17 2009, 06:46 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 17 2009, 12:31 PM)

I don't know.

I think , and this is only my opinion, that she's been a hard working gal who liked to sing and well, you know if you don't know the right folks and have connections, you don't get "discovered". (I have the same theory about racehorses but that's another thread). And sometimes I think if you want something enough, you just pursue that forever and don't get sidetracked by life. You know? Maybe it was a dream but she really didn't believe in herself enough or didn't have the drive or whatever?

I loved the whole thing whether she knew or not though. wub.gif

*edit: I have to add that I don't recognize my voice on tape so maybe she didn't realize her singing voice was great? Dunno, just a thought.

I wonder if she recognized it, also...

And, another thing, she obviously loves to sing. When you love something so much, it takes you over.

I like the fact that she gave Simon Cowell some crap back when he asked her how old she was and then he rolled his eyes and once he heard the voice the joke was on him. She's pretty gutsy!

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 17 2009, 04:30 AM)
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090417/tuk-c...ar-6323e80.html

Britain's Got Talent sensation Susan Boyle said she is overwhelmed to discover Hollywood star Demi Moore is among her growing army of fans.

I bet she'll be in the news for some time.

lemme guess...Demi twittered Ashton and BOOM it's worldwide news!

ugh!

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 17 2009, 08:31 AM)

Mara-

from what i could gather of her GMA interview, she knows people laugh at her, or they did once upon a time. She's been living with/caring for her mom who passed on a year or so ago.

She apparently does karaoke in her local pub and everyone there knows of her talent and thinks she's a "lovely girl"

Susan mentioned, oh so humbly, she felt some victory in this opportunity. Good for her!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 17 2009, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 AM)
Am I right in thinking that perhaps she knew all along, and was kind of looking forward to "taking the piss" out of the audience and the judges?  I mean, she had to know even before this that her voice is something otherworldly.

Maybe not. Some people are so humble, or have such low self-esteem, they seem unaware of just how talented they are.

Perhaps the best vocalist on AI was like that: Melinda Doolittle. Shy, quiet, and unaware of her immense abilities, even though she had a prior career as a professional backup singer. She looked like she wanted to run away and hide, and had to be pumped-up by the judges constantly. She finished in third place on Season 6, but Simon Cowell later said she should've won.

Agree 100% about Melinda. Whenever I watch those kinda shows it's for the drama, not the music. But that time I was really upset Melinda didn't win. If anyone really ever deserved it, it was her.

Listen to this!

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/videogaga...year-old-cover/

What a talented singer she is. It makes you wonder how many amazing voices are out there that never get heard. I'm really happy for this woman that she's finally getting her due.

QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 17 2009, 04:06 PM)
Listen to this!

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/videogaga...year-old-cover/

What a talented singer she is. It makes you wonder how many amazing voices are out there that never get heard. I'm really happy for this woman that she's finally getting her due.

I heard this earlier! Jeebus, talk about some long-buried treasure.

Wow! I had heard about this but hadn't seen it before today. This is an amazing clip, as it captures everything that is wrong and right about people & the world in one single moment.

I wish her all the best!

applaudit.gif

She lives about twenty miles or so from where I was born.

Good on you Susan for defying the boundaries and the restrictive moulds that society has decreed as neccesary for success.

She has merely proved that in the end it doesn't matter about the needless packaging, makeovers and other fripperies.

Real talent will always win in the end...

Someone sent me the Britain's Got Talent clip on youtube, and I was blown away. I'm even more blown away by the Cry Me A River cover. I'm so glad that she's getting recognization, and I hope she has a successful singing career.

It's also really sad that people were ready to laugh at her. It just shows what kind of views society projects on less attractive people.

Hmmmm...im on the fence about this.

on a personal level, its cool for her to get the 15 minutes of fame and cash in.

but from a music fan perspective, i cant stand this "overnight sensation" stuff...i saw she already had over 300,000 friends on Facebook!...im being cynical , yes, but you can go to any kareoke bar in the world and find people doing great impressions of all the classic stuff, but does it mean they are artistically creative or talanted?..

if you showed this clip to 20 people and then played them " Tom Sawyer" , its a good bet every single one would think she is the more talented...just annoys me..

but good for her...i hope she , perhaps, is a real artist and not a puppet controlled by the business.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 18 2009, 12:41 PM)

on a personal level, its cool for her to get the 15 minutes of fame and cash in.

but from a music fan perspective, i cant stand this "overnight sensation" stuff...i saw she already had over 300,000 friends on Facebook!...im being cynical , yes, but you can go to any kareoke bar in the world and find people doing great impressions of all the classic stuff, but does it mean they are artistically creative or talanted?..

if you showed this clip to 20 people and then played them " Tom Sawyer" , its a good bet every single one would think she is the more talented...just annoys me..

but good for her...i hope she , perhaps, is a real artist and not a puppet controlled by the business.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/cynic.jpg

wink.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 19 2009, 08:11 PM)

on  a personal level, its cool for her to get the 15 minutes of fame and cash in.

wink.gif

I agree!

Calling me "somewhat cynical" is the understatement of the year. I like to think I'm contributing to cynicism and sarcastic snark as an art form.

But I find this story most refreshing. I can't find a single aspect to snark on, nor do I wish to.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 20 2009, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Apr 19 2009, 08:11 PM)

on  a personal level, its cool for her to get the 15 minutes of fame and cash in.

wink.gif

I agree!

Calling me "somewhat cynical" is the understatement of the year. I like to think I'm contributing to cynicism and sarcastic snark as an art form.

But I find this story most refreshing. I can't find a single aspect to snark on, nor do I wish to.

Well, whatever you think, you have to admit that woman can sing. The one thing I like about American Idol is that supposedly anyone can become a star if they have enough talent. I know that image and looks are important, but sometimes people with raw talent shine through all that and it's obvious as in this case. I'm sure there's a bright future in the music industry for Susan Boyle where there wouldn't be one without this exposure.

And her humility makes the story all the better. Good for her, and I hope she makes millions.