Format Battle

The Owl

What Format is your favorite for music?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What Format is your favorite for music?

• Vinyl
    • CD
    • DVD-A
    • Compressed Digital (mp3, iTunes, etc,)
    • Cassette
    • 8-Track

Easy enough poll...

NOW PICK!

i like the convience of mp3/wav/flac... and I have all my CDs ripped to digital format..

So I pick digital, but I still like having an actual CD..... I like owning something tangible.

I wonder how many votes cassette would have gotten. laugh.gif

Anyway, I like vinyl, but I don't think it's my favorite. I mostly get them for the sleeves or if an album has a poor low end, but no remaster.

I love DVD-A, but like vinyl, it isn't portable. CDs are portable, but I don't like carrying them around. I think I like digital most. I use 256 kbps AAC most of the time.

of course Vinyl is great. it has that nice vintage sound and there is nothing like that crackle when first putting the needle on the record. BUT, I think CDs have the best sound quality. But Mp3 is obviously the most convenient. Even ripping CD's to Mp3 doesn't have the same sound quality as the actual CD IMO. there is a faint difference hardly noticeable. (maybe im just crazy)

IN SHORT: I picked CD because of sound quality

but I do use a Mp3 player. all my CDs are tucked away in my closet

Great thread, since I was thinking about this just this morning. There are few perfect CDs or "albums", but I can think of perfect album sides. Plus, the packaging is so much better in LP format.

I went with vinyl...but I love my MP3 player and the ease of burning/transferring the format.

I pick vinyl, mostly because I'm old, plus it was so much fun to bring that brand new record home. Somehow it's not as much fun with CD's, and buying a new release online has no draw for me at all.

Yes, CDs and digital are easier, Cd's are more durable, and I enjoy being able to carry so much music around with me on the Mp3 player, but vinyl is the most fun.

I voted digital. I know it's the lowest form in sound quality, but it doesn't sound awful. Not by a long shot. And when I can take thousands and thousands of songs with me anywhere I go... there is nothing you can say to disuade me from preferring digital. Nothing beats being able to listen to week's worth of songs, commercial free and without long pauses between them (as CDs fumble around to randomly select a new disc/track), without hearing the same song twice. And I know that I'll like whatever comes on, plus I don't have be locked into one type of music genre. It's very cool to have all that and be able to fit it in my pocket.

However... there is no better feeling than balacing the tonearm's handle on your thumb, and gently placing it on the groove. And you can see the groovlines traveling toward you, tracing their way from edge to center as the light reflects off the black vinyl. And watch the stylus make contact with the record, and listen to soft feedback sound in the speakers being overtaken by the POP as it lands in the groove. That's just... awesome. 1022.gif

Hey anyone remember that phantomy sound you used to get from records with the grooves too close together? On the last revolution before the actual start of the song, the stylus would pick up traces of what was in the groove next to it. And you could faintly hear one revolution's worth of the start of the song before it actually started. I kinda miss that. laugh.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 19 2009, 12:06 AM)
Great thread, since I was thinking about this just this morning.  There are few perfect CDs or "albums", but I can think of perfect album sides. Plus, the packaging is so much better in LP format.

Agreed. And some radio stations would occasionally play an album side.It's what I usually do when I'm at home. I like my CD's, but I picked vinyl. It'd be interesting to see the age spread in these choices. I'm 42.

8-tracks... laugh.gif not great sound quality and they were pretty unreliable. They only lasted for awhile before they jammed up in the player. Being a kid in the '70's to mid '80's meant being able to go for a walk and seeing disemboweled 8-tracks on the side of the road because someone got mad and slung the ruined 8-track out the car window. Unspooled tape all over the weeds roadside.

QUOTE (Pags @ Feb 19 2009, 01:31 PM)

However... there is no better feeling than balacing the tonearm's handle on your thumb, and gently placing it on the groove. And you can see the groovlines traveling toward you, tracing their way from edge to center as the light reflects off the black vinyl. And watch the stylus make contact with the record, and listen to soft feedback sound in the speakers being overtaken by the POP as it lands in the groove. That's just... awesome. 1022.gif

Hey anyone remember that phantomy sound you used to get from records with the grooves too close together? On the last revolution before the actual start of the song, the stylus would pick up traces of what was in the groove next to it. And you could faintly hear one revolution's worth of the start of the song before it actually started. I kinda miss that. laugh.gif

That's just beautiful! I'm nearly welling up here, overcome with nostalgia.

Group Hug!

Based on records I have on both vinyl and CD, I think vinyl is better soundwise. The CD versions of what I have on vinyl is missing sounds here and there.

the thing is, is that you can get good sound quality from digital format.... things such as wav format.... but unfortunatly using that type of format makes a single song nearly a quarter of a gig....

The way i rectify the sound quality of mp3s and iPod format is to have superior audio equiptment..

I have a relativly good sterio (not BOSE, but very good) My car sterio has a really good sound system (as will any future vehicles), and I have a really kick ass set of headphones.... (a 50 dollar set)

Vinyl tends to have more mid-range, where CD's will have more highs and lows. This was more evident when CDs first came out, some people thought the sound was too "bright".

"On the Turning Away" is much better on my vinyl than on the CD. The song is a good example as to why the vinyl is better. There is an echo effect when David Gilmour is singing in the intro alongside a low key synth. I love that effect. Anyway, the CD version kills that. Instead of sounding like he's in an empty canyon, he sounds like he's singing in a typical 4 walled room.

Call me crazy (or picky) but I'm confused at the poll options.

CD is Digital

DVD-A is Digital

You have to realize that audio CD's and DVD's are made from .wav files which are digital.

the thing is, is that you can get good sound quality from digital format.... things such as wav format.... but unfortunatly using that type of format makes a single song nearly a quarter of a gig....

.WAV files are completely raw, uncompressed, full resolution audio files. There is 0 quality loss in a .wav file because that's what the original cd was created from.

Also, a single .wav file uses approx 40MB of disc space. Meaning you can fit "25" songs in .wav format into a Gig of disc space. Sorry had to correct you there.

The way i rectify the sound quality of mp3s and iPod format is to have superior audio equiptment.

An mp3 file can only sound so good regardless of what type of system it's played through. MP3's are super compressed and you cannot extract sound quality (digital information) that is not there to begin with. Sure they sound better through a nice stereo compared to a shitty one, but there is still only so much audio information that can be pulled from an mp3.

Archived