Valkyrie

workingcinderellaman

I'm really looking forward to this film because I have thought these guys should have been given more fame from historians. They sacrificed themselves for their country and what they thought was right and they paid the ultimate price. Not only that, but their wives and children were persecuted. They were looked on as traitors for many years well after the war had ended.

Valkyie website

I'd be more excited if it didn't feature that freak Tom Cruise.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Nov 25 2008, 08:06 PM)

You have to learn to seperate the art from the artist. Cruise, while clearly a freakazoid, can actually be an outstanding actor.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Nov 26 2008, 01:17 AM)

You have to learn to seperate the art from the artist. Cruise, while clearly a freakazoid, can actually be an outstanding actor.

I agree with both of you...I hope it's good...I'll see it.

The buzz is uniformly bad about this movie. Too bad, because it is an interesting story. I'm afraid Tom Cruise has turned me off so that I find it hard to want to go see it.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Nov 25 2008, 10:17 PM)

I agree. I think he a really good actor. However, I'm not too psyched for this.

frankly i think Cruise was a horrible choice because he acts the same in EVERY SINLGE MOVIE HE IS IN - The trailer sounds like it could be for MI3. When i see him act i never think of the characters he's played just plain ole Tom Cruise, unlike other actors who when you see them you only think of the character they played not the actor, people like Viggo Mortenson, Daniel Day Lewis. Not having a German accent is a grave mistake because in the trailer others have an accent but not him and will only remind me of the terrible movie Robin Hood was with Kevin Costner as the only person without any kind of accent -Sure, the accents from everyone are far from accurate, but in a sea of British talent, Tom's voice sticks out like a sore thumb. The only thing I can think is: "Who is that American dude in the German army?"

Edited by alphseeker

I will probably see it but I don;t like the apparent "These guys are heroes crap." These guys were Nazis that thought Hitler was just great UNTIL they started getting their ass handed to them. Then they all of a sudden want to kill Hitler. I'm glad they missed because it might have actually ended the war sooner since Hitler was even wackier after this incident than he was before and continued to make blunder after blunder. I think it is a bit revisionist to claim they would have ended the war. No one knows what would have happened but I believe you can make a strong case that it would have simply ended up creating more competent leadership in the direction of the war to the detriment of everyone. It wasn;t like Goebbels, Goering, Himmler, et al were just going to let this go.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Nov 28 2008, 02:41 AM)
frankly i think Cruise was a horrible choice because he acts the same in EVERY SINLGE MOVIE HE IS IN - The trailer sounds like it could be for MI3.  When i see him act i never think of the characters he's played just plain ole Tom Cruise, unlike other actors who when you see them you only think of the character they played not the actor, people like Viggo Mortenson, Daniel Day Lewis. Not having a German accent is a grave mistake because in the trailer others have an accent but not him and will only remind me of the terrible movie Robin Hood was with Kevin Costner as the only person without any kind of accent -Sure, the accents from everyone are far from accurate, but in a sea of British talent, Tom's voice sticks out like a sore thumb. The only thing I can think is: "Who is that American dude in the German army?"

There's 2 kinds of actors method actors such as arguably the best working today Day-Lewis and acting actors, such as Cruise. Both types have their fans and detractors, and both types can do wonderful work. Your complaint against Cruise could be used against just about anyone pre-50s. Was Cary Grant not Cary Grant regardless of role?

Edited by Rushian King

Indeed.

It is a fascinating story, but it will be difficult to get past Cruise's predictable performance.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 29 2008, 02:39 PM)
I will probably see it but I don;t like the apparent "These guys are heroes crap." These guys were Nazis that thought Hitler was just great UNTIL they started getting their ass handed to them. Then they all of a sudden want to kill Hitler. I'm glad they missed because it might have actually ended the war sooner since Hitler was even wackier after this incident than he was before and continued to make blunder after blunder. I think it is a bit revisionist to claim they would have ended the war. No one knows what would have happened but I believe you can make a strong case that it would have simply ended up creating more competent leadership in the direction of the war to the detriment of everyone. It wasn;t like Goebbels, Goering, Himmler, et al were just going to let this go.

And it's not as if they wanted to kill him because of his anti-Semitic stance, and the fact that he was devoted to systematically wiping out the world's Jews. That. . .did not factor. It was not planned with noble intentions.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Nov 29 2008, 10:42 PM)
I will probably see it but I don;t like the apparent "These guys are heroes crap."  These guys were Nazis that thought Hitler was just great UNTIL they started getting their ass handed to them.  Then they all of a sudden want to kill Hitler.  I'm glad they missed because it might have actually ended the war sooner since Hitler was even wackier after this incident than he was before and continued to make blunder after blunder.  I think it is a bit revisionist to claim they would have ended the war.  No one knows what would have happened but I believe you can make a strong case that it would have simply ended up creating more competent leadership in the direction of the war to the detriment of everyone.  It wasn;t like Goebbels, Goering, Himmler, et al were just going to let this go.

And it's not as if they wanted to kill him because of his anti-Semitic stance, and the fact that he was devoted to systematically wiping out the world's Jews. That. . .did not factor. It was not planned with noble intentions.

Not according to the documentary I saw. Hitler's genocide was the whole reason this happened. After D-day, they (the conspirators) knew that Germany was eventually going to lose the war and it was suggested that they just wait. But Stauffenberg wanted to stop the exterminations in the concentration camps, so they went ahead with the assassination and operation valkyrie. They had planned on doing this well before Germany was losing the war.

And they weren't Nazi's. They were members of the German military. The whole goal of operation Valkyrie was to take control from the Nazi party. Stauffenberg hated the Nazis. He was a colonel in the German army.

Edited by workingcinderellaman

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Nov 27 2008, 11:41 PM)
frankly i think Cruise was a horrible choice because he acts the same in EVERY SINLGE MOVIE HE IS IN -

obviously you havent seen Tropic Thunder. He was freakin hilarous.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Dec 1 2008, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (Marathonist @ Nov 29 2008, 10:42 PM)
I will probably see it but I don;t like the apparent "These guys are heroes crap."  These guys were Nazis that thought Hitler was just great UNTIL they started getting their ass handed to them.  Then they all of a sudden want to kill Hitler.  I'm glad they missed because it might have actually ended the war sooner since Hitler was even wackier after this incident than he was before and continued to make blunder after blunder.  I think it is a bit revisionist to claim they would have ended the war.  No one knows what would have happened but I believe you can make a strong case that it would have simply ended up creating more competent leadership in the direction of the war to the detriment of everyone.  It wasn;t like Goebbels, Goering, Himmler, et al were just going to let this go.

Not according to the documentary I saw. Hitler's genocide was the whole reason this happened. After D-day, they (the conspirators) knew that Germany was eventually going to lose the war and it was suggested that they just wait. But Stauffenberg wanted to stop the exterminations in the concentration camps, so they went ahead with the assassination and operation valkyrie. They had planned on doing this well before Germany was losing the war.

And they weren't Nazi's. They were members of the German military. The whole goal of operation Valkyrie was to take control from the Nazi party. Stauffenberg hated the Nazis. He was a colonel in the German army.

Von Stauffenberg has a pretty good record of believability. He never joined the Party and all evidence shows he had issues with the Nazis as early as Kristallnacht. I'm primarily referring to the group of co-conspirators. Still, you can;t argue that the timing is interesting. The plot began in mid-43 after the thrashings in North Africa and stalingrad. After Stalingrad it was all over for Germany. One the Soviets had the tactics and equipment they were going to be unbeatable. Then, the coup is actually launched just after Normandy. Most conspirators were in it because they were losing in my opinion.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Dec 1 2008, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Nov 27 2008, 11:41 PM)
frankly i think Cruise was a horrible choice because he acts the same in EVERY SINLGE MOVIE HE IS IN -

obviously you havent seen Tropic Thunder. He was freakin hilarous.

I hate to admit it because I usually can't stand the guy, but yeah, he was great in Tropic Thunder.

I'm not really looking forward to Valkyrie but my wife's a WWII nut and will eventually make me watch it. wacko.gif

I'm looking forward to it. I like all of Bryan Singer's films (lest we not mention WHO made this film)....and I dig the cast, the premise, etc.

I'm also NOT a Tom Cruise hater either. That's soooo chic these days, but the guy is a very good and unquestionably DEDICATED actor in every film he's in. Yes, he's a friggin' spiritual psycho, but I'm not handing out praises for sanity either...only acting.

Edited by Presto-digitation

All of this Tom Cruise bashing is a great reason why actors should keep their personal lives and opinions personal. It really does taint their ability to portray a role if you keep thinking about the actors personal beliefs. I agree that cruise is a decent actor and I try not to think about his public faux pas. This is why I don't read people magazine. smile.gif

True. I mean, who's been a more pathetic f-up the last 10-15 years than Robert Downey Jr.? I mean, he's the Scott Weiland of Hollywood...which is really saying something. YET, RDJ is one of the best, most fluid and natural actors on the planet in my opinion. Personally he's been an off and on wreck...but I don't judge his work based on his addictions or limitations. Difference may be that Downey isn't as arrogant as Cruise, but we all have our cross to bear. They're both fine actors despite themselves.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 2 2009, 03:47 PM)
I'm going to find it tough to enjoy a WWII movie where the Germans are the good guys. No thanks.

Yep, they sacrificed their lives and the lives of their families to kill Hitler, take control of Germany, and make peace with the allies. But because they're German, I guess that makes them enemies regardless.

Edited by Did Lee Squat?