Learning Drums

MMCXII

ok I'm 38 and finally decided I want to learn to play drums, doubt if I'll ever be in a band but I want to do it just for a hobby any way. I know there's a few drummers on here so I'm looking for advice. I've never sat behind a kit but I do have close to 30 years air-drumming experience so I think I know a fair bit for a non-drummer. my biggest question right now is whether to get an acoustic set or electric. what are the benefits of each? and is learning from a teacher necessary or could one just learn by ear with the help of books or internet?

thanks!

Acoustic drumkit, no doubt about it. Don't get me wrong, electric ones are fine, but they're sort of a novelty in a way...there are so many options available on them that you end up getting carried away and using it as more of a toy than an instrument. Acoustic kits are much more fun.

As for the education side of things, do both of the methods you mentioned. In my view a teacher is invaluable, they will show you things that you could never learn on your own. You'll get a lot of musicians (not just drummers) who will say 'I never took lessons' like it's a badge of pride. Trust me though, a good teacher will make all the difference to your playing.

Remember however that your ears are your best teacher. Your ears will tell you if something is good or bad, and guide you towards making the decision of what kind of drummer you want to be. Books are a great resource, and a good teacher will advise you on the ones that will be most beneficial to you.

As for the internet, the best thing the internet can do for you is provide with video clips of great drummers. As for drum 'tablature', forget it. Get your teacher to educate you on how to read music. You'll be a better musician for it.

Also, get to know the great drummers of the past. The website drummerworld.com is a great resource which has heaps of great pictures, audio and video clips of the worlds best drummers. Find out who the drumming champions are, and listen to them as much as you can.

A few names off the top of my head to get you started...

Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, John Bonham, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Billy Cobham, Stewart Copeland, Ringo Starr, Peter Erskine, Terry Bozzio and of course, Neil Peart.

There are thousands more of course, these are just a few that came to mind, so check out as many players as you can, and enjoy.

Good luck!

thanks for the comments! I'm already a fan of half the drummers you mentioned rushdownunder and I'll definately check out the others!

kingtroll, is that your portrait in your sig? I'm sorry, did someone use your face for a snare drum as a child? you seem pretty happy well good for you kiddo!! and stay positive!! thanks for the comment tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushdownunder @ Nov 11 2008, 09:23 PM)
Acoustic drumkit, no doubt about it. Don't get me wrong, electric ones are fine, but they're sort of a novelty in a way...there are so many options available on them that you end up getting carried away and using it as more of a toy than an instrument. Acoustic kits are much more fun.

As for the education side of things, do both of the methods you mentioned. In my view a teacher is invaluable, they will show you things that you could never learn on your own. You'll get a lot of musicians (not just drummers) who will say 'I never took lessons' like it's a badge of pride. Trust me though, a good teacher will make all the difference to your playing.

Remember however that your ears are your best teacher. Your ears will tell you if something is good or bad, and guide you towards making the decision of what kind of drummer you want to be. Books are a great resource, and a good teacher will advise you on the ones that will be most beneficial to you.

As for the internet, the best thing the internet can do for you is provide with video clips of great drummers. As for drum 'tablature', forget it. Get your teacher to educate you on how to read music. You'll be a better musician for it.

Also, get to know the great drummers of the past. The website drummerworld.com is a great resource which has heaps of great pictures, audio and video clips of the worlds best drummers. Find out who the drumming champions are, and listen to them as much as you can.

Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, John Bonham, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Billy Cobham, Stewart Copeland, Ringo Starr, Peter Erskine, Terry Bozzio and of course, Neil Peart.

There are thousands more of course, these are just a few that came to mind, so check out as many players as you can, and enjoy.

Good luck!

Listen to this guy.

I would beware spending money on a drum set until you are sure you enjoy it and will stick with it. Sticks, a practice pad, and rudiments are where most drummers start. Then a drum. Then, finally a kit. A teacher will indeed be valuable, especially to get started with fundamentals and those all-important rudiments.

That said, when you do buy a kit, buy one you'll be happy with for years. I bought an entry level kit, but for a few hundred dollars more I could have had a nicer name brand kit, and wish I had done that.

Keep it in a climate controlled area, not in a garage where the temp and humidity change a lot. This can affect the shape and resonance of the wood.

Also, my opinion is that good cymbals are more important than pricy drums. You can go a lot to a drum, but a cymbal is what it is.

And handle tons of sticks to find the ones that feel right to you. Most beginners start with a 2B when learning and then move to a stick that fits them. I play Neil's signature 747 with a nylon tip for heavy stuff, and Steve Smith's signature Vic Firth sticks for medium and lighter playing.

Well, those are my thoughts this morning. Thanks for getting me thinking drums instead of work...this was way more entertaining!

I did the same thing! I'm the same age -- 38 too!

I signed up my son for drum lessons and decided to take lessons from the same teacher. After nearly a year, my son is still going strong, but I had to stop taking lessons after about 10 months (time and money constraints). I'm still working through the lesson book on my own, but having a teacher at the beginning was invaluable. Enjoy!

Like you, I doubt I'll be in a band any time soon. Hell, I barely have time to do the stuff that I MUST do much less to do the stuff I WANT to do. But for those few spare moments, banging away on the drums is a lot, a lot of fun.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 12 2008, 02:54 AM)
kingtroll, is that your portrait in your sig?

No, that's King Trolls Wife in his sig pic !!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 11 2008, 07:13 PM)
ok I'm 38 and finally decided I want to learn to play drums, doubt if I'll ever be in a band but I want to do it just for a hobby any way. I know there's a few drummers on here so I'm looking for advice. I've never sat behind a kit but I do have close to 30 years air-drumming experience so I think I know a fair bit for a non-drummer. my biggest question right now is whether to get an acoustic set or electric. what are the benefits of each? and is learning from a teacher necessary or could one just learn by ear with the help of books or internet?

thanks!

The only thing I would say about an electronic set is you can play at night with headphones while the kids are alseep, which works well for me. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to take it up again after 20 years away from it.

Edit: Just saw this thread...

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=44309

If you're looking to go live, though, with a band, get a nice acoustic set.

And the comments about rudiments and a teacher, great advice.

Good luck!

Edited by goose

If you're just having fun and want silent practice without maintaining cymbals and heads as much I'd go with an electric kit, but if you've got a place to make noise and you don't mind starting an expensive new habit buy an acoustic kit. If you go electric get a Roland. If you go acoustic get a used set, but get advice from an experienced drummer about how to get a quality kit. I think the Pacific (mx series, for instance) are a great way to get into a quality maple kit for dirt cheap. They are constructed the same, with the same exact wood on the same machines as the DW's that cost 500% more. Only difference is the Pacifics are made by Juan and the DW's are made by John. wink.gif Edited by the masked drummer

QUOTE (wordsmith @ Nov 12 2008, 09:25 AM)
I would beware spending money on a drum set until you are sure you enjoy it and will stick with it. Sticks, a practice pad, and rudiments are where most drummers start. Then a drum. Then, finally a kit. A teacher will indeed be valuable, especially to get started with fundamentals and those all-important rudiments.

That said, when you do buy a kit, buy one you'll be happy with for years. I bought an entry level kit, but for a few hundred dollars more I could have had a nicer name brand kit, and wish I had done that.

Keep it in a climate controlled area, not in a garage where the temp and humidity change a lot. This can affect the shape and resonance of the wood.

Also, my opinion is that good cymbals are more important than pricy drums. You can go a lot to a drum, but a cymbal is what it is.

And handle tons of sticks to find the ones that feel right to you. Most beginners start with a 2B when learning and then move to a stick that fits them. I play Neil's signature 747 with a nylon tip for heavy stuff, and Steve Smith's signature Vic Firth sticks for medium and lighter playing.

Well, those are my thoughts this morning. Thanks for getting me thinking drums instead of work...this was way more entertaining!

This is good advice. I actually had to play on a pad for a while before my parents would get a me a drum set as a kid. Start with private lessons. Practice your rudiments, count, tap your foot, read the music as you play it. After you can play the rudiments well and can read music, then a drum set is on the near horizon. If you just get a set it will be like a toy sitting in the corner and you'll never go far with it. Don't teach yourself. Big mistake for most drummers...

I always wanted to learn drums and took about 8 lessons about a year ago. The hardest part for me wasn't practicing or finding time to play, but the fact that I wasn't able to play my own drum kit at home. I was paying for studio time every time I wanted to practice, and would also practice on the drum pad at home. Needless to say, I gave up on it because it wasn't enjoyable to go out and pay to play on someone else's drums and only be able to practice for a certain period of time. It became frustrating not being able to have a drum kit in my small apartment because of the noise factor. I've since started thinking about picking up the bass. Good luck though.

Im not contradiciting anyones advice on here because its all good and I agree with all of them but I want to tell you my story. Im 37 and have always wanted to play but never had the resources to do so. I bought a simmons sd9k electronic set as an experiment to see if I could learn how to play because for years now there has been a burning desire to do so. The set is almost like a full acoustic set and you can set it up however you like. After watching several UTube lessons and playing along with songs via mp3 and stereo I am light years from where I started and Im having a blast. I believe thats the most important thing. I cant get an acoustic set because my house is about 50ft from my neighbors on both sides and some of the kids in my neighborhood who play drums have had the sherriff called on them and I can hear them half a mile away. I may in the future soundproof my garage and upgrade to an acoustic but you CAN learn from an electric set. I have been playing for 6 months now. When I started I played for @3 hours a day and each week I made a new discovery. If you have rythm and have the air drumming experience that you speak of( which was the same for me) if you have the patience you can pick up on a lot of things on your own. You do need to see how some of the best drummers set their kits up and find whats comfortable for YOU. Check out Vanzdrumming on YOUTube when you get a set. I recently sat behind a acoustic set in a store and satisfactorily played well and walked away with a smile knowing.....I can do this. Its all about muscle memory, confidence and being relaxed. If you have the $ the simmons kit is 999 at guitar center. I highly recommend it trink39.gif

QUOTE (Hunter215 @ Nov 27 2008, 08:21 PM)
...you CAN learn from an electric set.

Of course, you can learn from an electric set - they're a great option for when noise levels are an issue.

One problem with electronic drum sets is the feel of the pads. No matter what the manufacturers say, they never feel like a real, properly tuned drumhead.

Also, controlling your volume can be a little difficult. When you have the option to turn a volume control knob, it takes away the chance to learn to control the stick in order to achieve a wide range of dynamic levels.

The main thing to keep in mind about electronic drums is that they are a world apart from acoustic ones. Electronic drums can be turned on and sound amazing, with acoustic drums you have to work hard and fine tune to get a good sound. It's almost like you have to work for the sound, 'sing for your supper' if you will. And it makes it all the sweeter smile.gif

I always try the electronic kits when I'm at the music store. They're cool and a great alternative to an acoustic kit, but me personally, I wouldn't buy one to play drums on all the time. I've always wanted to play drums, but if I can't play acoustic, I won't spend the money. Nothing against electronic drums or anyone that plays them, I would just prefer the acoustic. Some day maybe I'll have the room and the space.

There's some great suggestions here - I'll just add/echo a couple:

I have an acoustic set (mid-70s Slingerland) at home - and with rubber pads on the drum heads and mutes on the cymbals I can easily play at home and not bother the neighbors. Feel of the rubber pads is very close to the feel of the regular heads - and you get to learn "dynamics".

I have an electronic set (Alesis DM5-Pro - widely available for $599) at my office - it's good to be the boss! smile.gif - and it's fun and "better than nothing" - but not nearly as nice as having a *real* kit.

YES GET LESSONS!!!

Consider getting a used kit. Like everything else (cars, etc.) drum kits lose major value when they leave "the showroom floor". There's a ton of kits out there that are decent and well worth the money at below factory showroom pricing. Got any friends that are drummers? Or guitarists/bassists/keyboardists that know a drummer or two? They can help you NOT get a lemon.

Cymbals are where you can *really* get crap... the low-end cymbals out there are just ATROCIOUS. Again, if you can get the advice of somebody experienced, you can find good deals at pawn shops or E-Bay - but there's crap out there too. Go to a sizable drum shop and LISTEN to cymbals. I know that Neil loves his Sabian/Paragons, but that's honestly not a reason for you to get them. I like the brightness of the Zildjian A Customs because I play lighter/jazzier stuff - but somebody playing death metal wouldn't go for them at all. And, when you go cymbal shopping (even if you're not buying there, you can at least listen to a lot of options in one place wink.gif ) hit the cymbals like you really would when playing - don't just give them a light tap.

Good luck - and enjoy!

kestrou

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 11 2008, 08:13 PM)

thanks!

OK, I am 39 & have been playing for 22 years or so....I have an electronic kit as well as an acoustic kit. I started on the acoustic. There are pros & cons to both. The main issue remains is affordability. An acoustic kit is more affordable against the electronic. Second issue, sound. Can you play out loud without issues? If so, the acoustic kit gets another point....

One issue that goes against electronic over all, is that unless you can afford the Roland V-Pro kit ($5500), you have a chance of getting carpal. There are electronic kits that have mesh heads & cymbals for cymbal pads. These are the ones for concentration of purchasing.

Both have their own merit, however, I lean towards acoustic kits for range of sound, affordability, as well as functionally sound in setup. You don't have to worry about figuring out sounds, parameters, MIDI, etc...

However, the sheer coolness of electronic kits is the sounds & the fact that you can barely make a sound outside but with headphones, you are at a concert.

My best advice is, go with affordability first. What can you handle? Go for the best you can. PDP drums make affordable birch & maple kits (maple kits are what most professional drummers use including Neil's kit-PDP is a subsidiary of DW.....short story-DW takes only 100% perfect maple or birch, whatever they don't want/need, they send 95%-100% perfect wood to PDP just over the Mexican border. What does this mean? Many of the PDP maple drums are of professional level at a beginner's price. I've heard these kits many times while working for Guitar Center. I'm still impressed by the sound). If you can afford a nice setup, go for a birch or maple kit. Get Sabian, Zildjian, or Paiste cymbals (not beginner cymbals-95% of the beginner cymbals suck).

OK, this got too long winded.....If you want more information on this, you can PM me or reply to this. There are a lot of variables & my mind is now wasted.....I wanted to give you a bit more but I must head off to bed/

QUOTE (derekwall77 @ Dec 2 2008, 12:18 AM)
All electric sets are garbage.
Drums were made to be acoustic. End of story.

For the record, Neil uses electonic kits. You'd be surprised in how well the Roland V-Pro kits sound. I don't think you really thought your post through.

I guess we drummers have to go back to the dark ages & bang our tom-toms....maybe a caveman beat? People thought the same of the electric guitar & bass....or do you think that guitars & basses should only be acoustic?

Sorry to be harsh but the blanket statement without back up is weak.

QUOTE (rushdownunder @ Nov 11 2008, 09:23 PM)

Good luck!

goodpost.gif

I agree. When I first started playing, I played learning songs on my own. I got pretty far but I decided to go to college. I took private lessons as well as the lessons at college. My musicianship exploded!!!

It was amazing.....However, make sure you get a good teacher. Word of mouth is the best way. It did me well.

I do disagree with electronics. You'd be surprised on what songs have an electronic kit on it....Omar Hakim uses a Roland V-Pro. He's on tons of recordings. You can't knock electronics stating that it's a novelty, though. Neil's been playing them for over 20 years. Just food for thought wink.gif