Learning Drums

MMCXII

QUOTE (derekwall77 @ Dec 7 2008, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 7 2008, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (derekwall77 @ Dec 1 2008, 11:18 PM)
All electric sets are garbage.
Drums were made to be acoustic. End of story.

wow, what a shit post. go shove an acoustic drumkit up your ass please.

Acoustic kits take the biscuit mate.

I've been drumming for over 20 years.

Few would argue that electric kits are better than acoustic kits. Acoustic kits do take the biscuit. With gravy, even. But there ARE good electric drums out there, and they have their uses for many drummers.

But fledgehog was right, that post of yours WAS a shit post. Blanket statements like that make you look like a bloody tosser, mate. You sure you're not related to King Troll? Maybe you're yet another of his aliases.

I must add, the second part of fledge's post was unnecessarily harsh.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Congrats on learning to play an instrument! Probably one of the most fun and rewarding things you can do. I'd also recommend an acoustic kit if you are in an environment that can stand the noise, they have a more natural feel and give you more bang for the buck. Electronic kits are a must if you are in an apartment or want to practice after hours, but I find it's hard to develop proper technique because the feel of them is different, and the good ones are really expensive. I find electronics are a good idea to extend your practice hours if you already have an acoustic kit.

You would definitely benefit from lessons from good teachers (emphasis on "good"). Maybe take half a dozen lessons from 2 different teachers to start to make sure you don't pick up bad habits right off the bat. One thing you may seriously want to invest in (if you go acoustic) is a pair of "Metrophones" or similar device. They are a sealed pair of headphones which will not ony protect your ears but also provide a metronome, which is essential for practicing drums at any skill level. There is also a jack that allows you to pipe in music so you can practice along to your favorite CD.

Good luck!

QUOTE (PW_Guitarist @ Dec 8 2008, 09:12 AM)
Congrats on learning to play an instrument! Probably one of the most fun and rewarding things you can do. I'd also recommend an acoustic kit if you are in an environment that can stand the noise, they have a more natural feel and give you more bang for the buck. Electronic kits are a must if you are in an apartment or want to practice after hours, but I find it's hard to develop proper technique because the feel of them is different, and the good ones are really expensive. I find electronics are a good idea to extend your practice hours if you already have an acoustic kit.

You would definitely benefit from lessons from good teachers (emphasis on "good"). Maybe take half a dozen lessons from 2 different teachers to start to make sure you don't pick up bad habits right off the bat. One thing you may seriously want to invest in (if you go acoustic) is a pair of "Metrophones" or similar device. They are a sealed pair of headphones which will not ony protect your ears but also provide a metronome, which is essential for practicing drums at any skill level. There is also a jack that allows you to pipe in music so you can practice along to your favorite CD.

Good luck!

goodpost.gif

Again, I've been playing for over 20 years myself. I can say specifically that I enjoy playing my acoustic more. The feel is really there. However, I still have my electronic kit as well which has served me very well thank you!

I learned the first few years of playing drums on my own. I did fairly well too. Then I got a great teacher. One with enthusiasm (infected with the Gods, as NeilFinal.gif stated). That's when my playing exploded even more. I do need to stress that it's your speed of learning that will make a difference & teacher/student chemistry is a must! Otherwise, you won't learn as much & will be wasting your money & time on nothing.