Vietnam War movies

Rushian King

Which is your favourite Vietnam War-related movie?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite Vietnam War-related movie?

• Apocalypse Now
    • Born On The Fourth Of July
    • The Boys In Company C
    • Casualties Of War
    • Coming Home
    • The Deer Hunter
    • Full Metal Jacket
    • Gardens Of Stone
    • Good Morning, Vietnam
    • Hamburger Hill
    • Hearts And Minds
    • Platoon
    • Tigerland
    • Winter Soldier
    • Other-- post which one

I think there've been a lot of solidly made Vietnam War movies. Are they historically accurate? Not sure, not really my biggest concern at least for the fictional ones. The 2 documentaries listed would need to be viewed differently.

I've seen all of the titles mentioned except for Winter Soldier which I'd never heard of until I looked it up. Definitely want to see it now. I just watched Full Metal Jacket again the other day, still as good as ever, but Apocalypse Now gets my vote. I haven't seen the 'Redux' version yet.

The most underappreciated is probably Casualties Of War, overshadowed by Cruise's BOT4thOJ of the same year. The most disappointing to me was Williams' GMV. Viewed 20 years later it just wasn't very funny.

Edited by Rushian King

'We Were Soldiers'.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 18 2008, 02:01 PM)
'We Were Soldiers'.

Good one. I blame IMDb for missing that one. I typed in 'Vietnam War' into their plot word search and it doesn't list WWS. Yet when I went to it's page the words are right there. confused13.gif

There were others I purposefully skipped such as Bat*21 and Stone's third film, Heaven And Earth.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 18 2008, 01:01 PM)
'We Were Soldiers'.

I got to meet Hal Moore once, about 15 years ago after the book was first published. I was dating an Army captain at the time and went as his date to the Infantry Ball at Fort Benning. Moore was the keynote speaker.

Since my boyfriend worked as the Commander General's aide, I got to personally meet Moore and shake his hand. I am afraid I was a little starstruck!

*edited for typos

Edited by Marathonist

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 18 2008, 02:36 PM)
'We Were Soldiers'.

I got to meet Hal Moore once, about 15 years ago after the book was first published. I was dating an Army captain at the time and went as his date to the Infantry Ball at Fort Benning. Moore was the keynote speaker.

Since my boyfriend worked as the Commander General's aide, I got to personally meet Moore and shake his hand. I am afraid I was a little starstruck!

*edited for typos

Very cool! My Father in law was at Ia Drang valley (he was in the Artillery) and has met Colonel Moore, too.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 18 2008, 02:07 PM)
Toss up between Apocalypse and Platoon.

Funny! I had a hard choice on the same two, but I went with Apocalypse. It's absolutely epic. I do remember liking Platoon, but I haven't seen it in a long time. I think I'll track down a copy. Thanks.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Sep 18 2008, 02:31 PM)
'We Were Soldiers'.

yes.gif That was my pick by far. I loved that movie!

I highly recommend the book. There's a new sequel out as well.

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Sep 18 2008, 04:18 PM)
The first half of Full Metal Jacket was excellent. The second half was... schla03.gif
Still, I respect Kubrick.

I once felt the same way. I re-watched Full Metal Jacket a while back and I noticed I loved the second half as much as the first. The movie represents what the soldier goes through, there's a lot of down time with unexpected bursts of horror, both mentally and physically.

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Sep 18 2008, 03:18 PM)
The first half of Full Metal Jacket was excellent. The second half was... schla03.gif
Still, I respect Kubrick.

That movie gave R. Lee Ermey his stereotypical role. I can't watch it now and take him seriously... maggot! laugh.gif

I think he's hilarious. My brother gave me a signed R. Lee Ermey action figure that yells and swears at you. OohRah!

I would go with The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now

How about Saving Private Ryan?..

The first half of Full Metal Jacket is quite intense.

Does anyone else feel that the whole " War movie" theme has been overdone?..

I have already seen some clips of upcoming Iraq war themed movies/shows and i feel its just a cash grab and nothing more.

I'm pretty sure we know the horrors and results of war and its affect on society.

QUOTE (Lamneth08 @ Sep 18 2008, 07:48 PM)
Does anyone else feel that the whole " War movie" theme has been overdone?..

No.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 18 2008, 08:15 PM)
Does anyone else feel that the whole  " War movie" theme has been overdone?..

No.

If i offended you with the " PLatoon" thread, i apologize.

I am sensing some hostility.

It was just an opinion on a movie.

Thank you.

QUOTE (Lamneth08 @ Sep 18 2008, 08:09 PM)

No.

Thank you.

You asked a question and he answered, without any comment. For the love of everything holy, quit being so damn sensitive.

I also agree that the War movie theme has not been "overdone." In fact, I'd like to see more quality war movies made.

I voted for Full Metal Jacket more on an "overall" basis. However, some movies are better for action, some are better for story, etc.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Sep 18 2008, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (Lamneth08 @ Sep 18 2008, 08:09 PM)

No.

Thank you.

You asked a question and he answered, without any comment. For the love of everything holy, quit being so damn sensitive.

I also agree that the War movie theme has not been "overdone." In fact, I'd like to see more quality war movies made.

I voted for Full Metal Jacket more on an "overall" basis. However, some movies are better for action, some are better for story, etc.

If you would refer to the " Platoon" thread in question, for some reason he came across as quite pissed at me.

And i'll act any way i feel is appropriate . It doesn't concern you.

How many war movies have been made since the close of WW2?...I think we know the outcome.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 18 2008, 01:36 PM)
'We Were Soldiers'.

*edited for typos

Cool Hal Moore stories from both Jack and Marathonist.

I have a lot of respect for the man after having seen the movie. I would say "We were Soldiers" is my favorite Vietnam movie, though the opening scenes cost me at least one chick flick.