the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

I'm amazed by how much I enjoyed the new Tarja single, Innocence.

I just saw the video now. Very realistic theme, shown on the female point of view. She sings Innocence as an alive force.

Of course her voice remains strong, but I loved to see and hear Tarja playing piano. :)

There's a positive message and I do like how it ends.

• Like 1

Tarja nails it with Innocence

her voice is still great, and while her songs since leaving Nightwish have been up and down, Innocence is very strong

I have hated about 90% of her work, My Winter Storm aside (loved her debut). But Innocence has me interested!

BTW I'm not comparing her work to Nightwish. She definitely has her own direction I just happen to think so much of it sucks. But I loved this song!

• Like 2

her voice is still great, and while her songs since leaving Nightwish have been up and down, Innocence is very strong

I have hated about 90% of her work, My Winter Storm aside (loved her debut). But Innocence has me interested!

BTW I'm not comparing her work to Nightwish. She definitely has her own direction I just happen to think so much of it sucks. But I loved this song!

Her direction got better since Colors in The Dark.

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

Yeah. The band sometimes sounds "weak" to her voice too.

They're great musicians, though.

I like the drummer, Mike Terrana, he's a competent hardworker.

• Like 1

Sorry I hated that album so much *hides*

My issue with Tarja has often been her backing band. No chemistry if you ask me.

Now when I think of Tarja with Nightwish back during Century Child I grow faint and swoon *sigh*

• Like 2

Sorry I hated that album so much *hides*

:LOL: Hahahahaha.

Never hide, I won't shout.

I read your previous post and got the point. ;)

Edited by rhyv

My issue with Tarja has often been her backing band. No chemistry if you ask me.

Now when I think of Tarja with Nightwish back during Century Child I grow faint and swoon *sigh*

:yes:

Of course she'll never be the singer she was with Nightwish. There were necessary elements together and they made a real connection.

Tarja can sing alone, in a duet and other music styles. I'm sure about her versatility. She's excellent, almost impeccable on stage. (I saw her still in Nightwish, in 2002).

Century Child is still Nightwish's best of "Tarja Era". I think Once is second. I love Ghost Love Score, Dark Chest of Wonders, Planet Hell, The Siren and the rest of the album. :haz:

The musical chemistry bewteen her and other members is to discuss since the first album. She used allow musicians to record all instruments separately and then mix according to the timing and results. My Winter Storm is a good album, but it lacks something.

I like the second, What Lies Beneath because is more experimental. And some songs from the third album, where she seems to get more oriented about herself in heavy rock.

But I've got a question: why does she invite so many different people to play with her?

Since the first album she promotes herself participating into other bands and asking musician's collaborations, which sometimes are just two or four lines. I know this exchange happens bewteen record labels if they allow to or if it's an advantage to both parts.

But... why she can't be more expontaneous? Or... Why she isn't able to find musicians who are really aligned with her ideas and unique style?

• Like 1

But I've got a question: why does she invite so many different people to play with her?

But... why she can't be more expontaneous? Or... Why she isn't able to find musicians who are really aligned with her ideas and unique style?

I think this is the downfall of many many great musicians ...... The inability to find consistency with fellow musicians has been something that has plagued my all time favorite guitarist, Michael Schenker, ever since he left UFO ..... His inability to find a good singer has held him back a lot ..... The one album he did with Graham Bonnet in 1982 was the closest, but of course, the partnership lasted one album and no tour ..

It could be ego ... In Michael Schenker's case, he has since admitted that stagefright and the fear of huge success is what made him so unreliable when he was with UFO ..... and when he left UFO in 1978, he joined his brother in the Scorpions and they made the classic Lovedrive album together - they even started a tour, and then, Michael bails again to start his solo career ..

The need to have control over everything is sometimes a fear of progress - not always, but I think a lot of musicians - esp ones that have carved out their own style and niche - feel that no one else will understand or meet their expectations - and when that happens, more often than not, the results are sub-standard ..

• Like 1

I think this is the downfall of many many great musicians ...... The inability to find consistency with fellow musicians has been something that has plagued my all time favorite guitarist, Michael Schenker, ever since he left UFO ..... His inability to find a good singer has held him back a lot ..... The one album he did with Graham Bonnet in 1982 was the closest, but of course, the partnership lasted one album and no tour ..

It could be ego ... In Michael Schenker's case, he has since admitted that stagefright and the fear of huge success is what made him so unreliable when he was with UFO ..... and when he left UFO in 1978, he joined his brother in the Scorpions and they made the classic Lovedrive album together - they even started a tour, and then, Michael bails again to start his solo career ..

The need to have control over everything is sometimes a fear of progress - not always, but I think a lot of musicians - esp ones that have carved out their own style and niche - feel that no one else will understand or meet their expectations - and when that happens, more often than not, the results are sub-standard ..

I believe in the truth of your arguments. It can be very difficult to find similar people to play with, there are personal troubles and "ego stuff".

Sometimes is better walk alone.

In Tarja's situation, she came from classic background. Few musicians do well this transition to rock. It also depends on direction she wants to go.

As she found herself *almost now*, it might take time to get into chemistry. If it does.

Of course she'll never be the singer she was with Nightwish. There were necessary elements together and they made a real connection.

Tarja can sing alone, in a duet and other music styles. I'm sure about her versatility. She's excellent, almost impeccable on stage. (I saw her still in Nightwish, in 2002).

Century Child is still Nightwish's best of "Tarja Era". I think Once is second. I love Ghost Love Score, Dark Chest of Wonders, Planet Hell, The Siren and the rest of the album. :haz:

The musical chemistry bewteen her and other members is to discuss since the first album. She used allow musicians to record all instruments separately and then mix according to the timing and results. My Winter Storm is a good album, but it lacks something.

I like the second, What Lies Beneath because is more experimental. And some songs from the third album, where she seems to get more oriented about herself in heavy rock.

Since the first album she promotes herself participating into other bands and asking musician's collaborations, which sometimes are just two or four lines. I know this exchange happens bewteen record labels if they allow to or if it's an advantage to both parts.

I would rank the Tarja NW albums:

1. Century Child

2. Wishmaster

3. Oceanborn

4. Angels Fall First

5. Once

I'm sorry but the sound of once to me is too clinical, Tarja really sounds out of place at times and musically it's just lacking the magic of what came before. Dark Passion Play took the sound of Once to greater heights in my opinion.

I love Once though, so in spite of being my least favourite Nightwish album I couldn't live without it.

As for Tarja solo, My Winter Storm is a masterpiece of symphonic metal. She even write the best song herself, Oasis. When people call me a Tarja-hater because I believe they only got better, I point to this album as proof that I am not.

Nightwish never lost what made them special, which is Tuomas Holopainen. But sadly without his direction I find Tarja aimless. Also she has completely lost focus on her enunciation. In Nightwish I am sure she must have had constant call to keep focused on her English because since leaving Nightwish she has really not improved. Her vocals cracking, she has awful technique, her enunciation is poor and she is constantly breathless. Now to be fair, Anette Olzon, as much as she shone in the studio, was even worse. But seeing Nightwish with Floor, and then Tarja performing live with Sharon Den Adel of Within Temptation only went in to prove she has fallen dramatically.

Not sure why this has happened but as an artist and as a performer she remains charming, but she has lost the shine she had with Nightwish.

But I am actually looking forward to trying her new album.

• Like 1

I agree Tarja lost her shine without Nightwish. She's trying to prove herself better without them (now that she's famous) and she can write good songs, but it'l never be the same again. There are some songs better than others. I love the song Oasis. It's my favorite on MWS.

About her duet with Sharon, I appreciate it, but Sharon went better.

Nightwish with Anette Olzon: some old songs are good on her voice, most of them don't. Dark Passion Play has good melodies, but Anette's voice isn't comfortable in many of them. The Islander and Sahara fit her well.

I appreciate Imaginareum because it's stylish, dreamy, funny, dark and songs are made for Anette's voice, which is totally different.

I saw her performing on stage, she's great, but sometimes she lost the way on her voice, singing too loud. As you said, she was better on studio.

• Like 1

I agree Tarja lost her shine without Nightwish. She's trying to prove herself better without them (now that she's famous) and she can write good songs, but it'l never be the same again. There are some songs better than others. I love the song Oasis. It's my favorite on MWS.

About her duet with Sharon, I appreciate it, but Sharon went better.

Nightwish with Anette Olzon: some old songs are good on her voice, most of them don't. Dark Passion Play has good melodies, but Anette's voice isn't comfortable in many of them. The Islander and Sahara fit her well.

I appreciate Imaginareum because it's stylish, dreamy, funny, dark and songs are made for Anette's voice, which is totally different.

I saw her performing on stage, she's great, but sometimes she lost the way on her voice, singing too loud. As you said, she was better on studio.

I love Dark Passion Play! In fact, hearing her push her voice to breaking point gives me a lot of respect for her. What a battle that must have been!

And her solo album is very solid. I had hoped for more from her but honestly she keeps shooting herself in the foot with her truly embarrassing social media messages. Very bitter. Even if Tarja was a cow with a greedy heart (not for us to judge...she was known to be difficult), she composed herself with grace publicly and has NEVER gotten personal, and she even remains strong friends with Floor (can you imagine how hard it must be for your close friend to take on your former role and SMASH IT with the fans AND critics?).

I admire Tarja. I even like the fact that she is a guest judge on The Voice Finland as it shows her personality and it's helped her public profile a lot in her home country (she mostly lives in Argentina now, with her husband).

I sound like a crazy stalker haha

• Like 1

I love Dark Passion Play! In fact, hearing her push her voice to breaking point gives me a lot of respect for her. What a battle that must have been!

And her solo album is very solid. I had hoped for more from her but honestly she keeps shooting herself in the foot with her truly embarrassing social media messages. Very bitter. Even if Tarja was a cow with a greedy heart (not for us to judge...she was known to be difficult), she composed herself with grace publicly and has NEVER gotten personal, and she even remains strong friends with Floor (can you imagine how hard it must be for your close friend to take on your former role and SMASH IT with the fans AND critics?).

I admire Tarja. I even like the fact that she is a guest judge on The Voice Finland as it shows her personality and it's helped her public profile a lot in her home country (she mostly lives in Argentina now, with her husband).

I sound like a crazy stalker haha

Tarja is know to be difficult, I heard this too and I also heard from Sharon and Doro she's just a great person. Of course, an excellent musician.

She says Argentina is her true home, from heart.

Anette, as everyone, may get personal but there are limits. Some comments were very unhappy, I remember, including the ones about Floor and music industry. Although I appreciate her voice and personality too, she was very sympathetic when she came to Brazil.

I don't know what else to say. People, music, time, all change.

Edited by rhyv

I particularly disagree in starting "Anti (Band)" threads. No reason to do it.

If someone dislikes a band, just stay out of it. If there's nothing to say, find another subject to speak of.

We're here to talk about great music and that's all.

• Like 1

If someone dislikes a band, just stay out of it. If there's nothing to say, find another subject to speak of.

There are also whole threads dedicated to things like "popular artists you don't like"

• Like 2

I would rather listen to a sheep's death rattle than spend one second in the company of these "ANTI" thread starters. Fucknuggets.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Dude I have one last apology to make but...yeah...SOOOOOOORRRRRRRYYYY

Glad to see you back at last!

Never change.

• Like 1

There are also whole threads dedicated to things like "popular artists you don't like"

I replied once, when there was only one. Just 'my two cents'.

But too many... aren't so good. It may sound unnecessary, you know? Or even unsulting to certain members. (not my situation, but we're dealing with people).