the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

Ladies and Gentlemen, if there is anyone here from the NYC area that is old enough to remember when A Farewell To Kings came out in 1977, I started a thread in the Rush subforum about it and would appreciate hearing what you remember.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/87456-a-farewell-to-kings-question-for-those-of-you-who-were-around-when-it-came-out/page__st__40#entry3136174

I didn't want to start another thread in here, so thought to just stick a post in this one.

Edited by Lorraine

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac is overhyped

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, it could NEVER be!!

Well I listened to it for the first time today and it wasn't that special

I wish I could hear it for the first time again. A masterpiece of sophisticated pop/rock without question. The expanded edition is on my want list.

Edited by Steevo

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac is overhyped

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, it could NEVER be!!

Well I listened to it for the first time today and it wasn't that special

My first impressions of Rumours was disappointing. But it really grew on me and now I regard it as one of the best albums of all time. But still...I remember finding it to be very vanilla first listen...Tusk is an extraordinary follow up and one of my top three albums of all time, and Mirage is my musical equivalent of a cuddly blanket...Buckingham Nicks era FM released some of the greatest music of all time, and it takes time to digest all the various elements that make the music so perfect. Seriously, don't dismiss it completely. Rumours seems like a typical pop album, but some research into the albums background and a few glances of the bands '70's live performances should help to bring this bands incredible music to life in a far grander light.

Peter Gabriel's SO is highly disappointing and missing the wonderful edge of those first 4.....But hey. I came away knowing Kate Bush.

Mick

I actually prefer Us over So, but I still count four indispensable gems on it.

97.1 WDRV (The Drive in Chicago) is throwing a free concert very soon after my birthday at Allstate Arena, with Cheap Trick!

The only problem? Peter Frampton is also on the bill. -___-

Not even for a free show....and my luck, he'd be the one to play the longest set lol

AGH!!!! Oh well. I can wait til July.

97.1 WDRV (The Drive in Chicago) is throwing a free concert very soon after my birthday at Allstate Arena, with Cheap Trick!

The only problem? Peter Frampton is also on the bill. -___-

Not even for a free show....and my luck, he'd be the one to play the longest set lol

AGH!!!! Oh well. I can wait til July.

We look forward to hearing about it. Hope to see you soon! XxX

Rush- Hold Your Fire

I think this is an album that really rewards those who are patient with it. It gets better with every play.

Swedish dance/pop is awesome! Agnes Carlsson's albums Dance. Love. Pop and especially the beautiful Veritas are two of the finest albums I have heard in recent years, regardless of genre.

I too appreciate Lady Gaga. Bad Romance is perfect songwriting.

I own all but one of Beyoncé's solo albums. She has some of the best singles of all time, her best rivalling the classics of Madonna and Michael Jackson.

Bluefox4000, I too enjoy pop!

And talking about pop...considering the recent fashion for heavily 80's inspired pop, Hold Your Fire sounds curiously current.

• Like 1

I have a weird thing where if i start collecting an artists discography. I have to get it all. I HAVE to, lol. So in that respect I don't appreciate artists with Vast Discographies....Ex. Prince, Neil Young, Dylan. It just drives me nuts that there's so much to collect.

Weird quirk I know.

Mick

• Like 1

I have a weird thing where if i start collecting an artists discography. I have to get it all. I HAVE to, lol. So in that respect I don't appreciate artists with Vast Discographies....Ex. Prince, Neil Young, Dylan. It just drives me nuts that there's so much to collect.

Weird quirk I know.

Mick

I am exactly the same. Hence why I find bands such as Yes and The Rolling Stones difficult to get into, as well as The Kinks.

Occasionally I can be a "casual" fan, for example, I do not own every Michael Jackson album and Madonna has released way to much crap...but Springsteen, Rush, The Beatles, Nightwish, Fleetwood Mac, Toto...so many other bands...I just feel the need to OWN EVERYTHING!

I have spent hours tracking down unreleased demo recording bootlegs, obscure b-sides, rare editions a d vinyls for way to many bands/artists.

Right now I am trying to complete my Fleetwood Mac collection, not including live recordings. Wow...so much stuff! Exhausting...

• Like 1

And I very much doubt there are many Lacuna Coil fans who have a more extensive collection of stuff than me...

Weird quirk I know.

Mick

I am exactly the same. Hence why I find bands such as Yes and The Rolling Stones difficult to get into, as well as The Kinks.

Occasionally I can be a "casual" fan, for example, I do not own every Michael Jackson album and Madonna has released way to much crap...but Springsteen, Rush, The Beatles, Nightwish, Fleetwood Mac, Toto...so many other bands...I just feel the need to OWN EVERYTHING!

I have spent hours tracking down unreleased demo recording bootlegs, obscure b-sides, rare editions a d vinyls for way to many bands/artists.

Right now I am trying to complete my Fleetwood Mac collection, not including live recordings. Wow...so much stuff! Exhausting...

I hear ya. Toto was awful for me because most was tracked down through yard sales. That ages me because it was pre-internet days for me. So Toto.....glorious as the are. Was the Worst collecting process EVER. The thing is as much as i hate the process......i will do it all, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

my first Toto purchase was The Collection box set, containing the first seven albums and the Greatest Hits...And More live dvd. pretty decent i think! only album that i have yet to track down is Through The Looking Glass, as well as XX and the live albums.

But i still have live albums to collect by Rush, Nightwish, Springsteen...IT NEVER ENDS!!

• Like 1