the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

I went to Best Buy, Hot Topic, and FYE today, and amazingly didn't buy any music. I have to save for not only a new iPod, but birthday gifts for my friends, as well as new music (The Resistance) and other new/newer albums.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 31 2009, 01:10 PM)
Whenever I listen to it, I think "Starless" is the greatest song ever.

I have to agree with that.

I also think "Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part One" is one of the most brilliantly executed & unique songs I've ever heard, by anyone.

Jay-Z announced that he was retiring from rap after releasing the amazing Black Album. He has released three albums since then including The Blueprint III, which leaked today. His career arc in that time can be summed up thusly:

The Black Album =

The Blueprint III = This

So I went to see Pearl Jam in Chicago on August 23 & 24. Bad Religion opened for them. I don't know much about Bad Religion. I am usually optimistic about their opening bands, they usually pick a good one.

Soooo they did the exact same set on both nights dazed025.gif including telling the same stories!!! It was weird.

Do most bands do the same set at every show? Didn't they know that most people that were at the first show were going to be there the next night too tongue.gif

I wouldn't say they were bad, they are LOUD tho. I ended up popping a xanax at the second show to help me get thru it biggrin.gif I just wished they had mixed it up a bit.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 4 2009, 01:55 AM)
oh my god.

new porcupine tree.

f**k.

oh my god.

So I've heard. smile.gif

My guitarist and I were on the way to a practice and we had Planet Rock on in the car and one of the members of Porcupine Tree was talking about working with Fish on Sunsets On Empire, then either he or the presenter mentioned a new PT album.

I still need to check them out! tongue.gif

QUOTE (afurrything @ Sep 3 2009, 02:07 AM)
Soooo they did the exact same set on both nights dazed025.gif including telling the same stories!!! It was weird.
Do most bands do the same set at every show? Didn't they know that most people that were at the first show were going to be there the next night too tongue.gif

Have you ever seen rush? unsure.gif

QUOTE (afurrything @ Sep 2 2009, 10:07 PM)
So I went to see Pearl Jam in Chicago on August 23 & 24. Bad Religion opened for them. I don't know much about Bad Religion. I am usually optimistic about their opening bands, they usually pick a good one.
I wouldn't say they were bad, they are LOUD tho. I ended up popping a xanax at the second show to help me get thru it biggrin.gif I just wished they had mixed it up a bit.

You're just used to seeing a band that changes their set lists like no other band from night to night. A lot of bands do keep the same set lists an entire tour, yes. There are a handful that change it up from night to night though.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Sep 4 2009, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (afurrything @ Sep 3 2009, 02:07 AM)
Soooo they did the exact same set on both nights  dazed025.gif  including telling the same stories!!! It was weird.
Do most bands do the same set at every show? Didn't they know that most people that were at the first show were going to be there the next night too  tongue.gif

Have you ever seen rush? unsure.gif

Yep! biggrin.gif Every tour from Moving Pictures thru Test For Echo. And then I got married and had 7 kids ohmy.gif And yeah I know they play the same set every night.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Sep 4 2009, 06:42 PM)
QUOTE (afurrything @ Sep 2 2009, 10:07 PM)
Soooo they did the exact same set on both nights  dazed025.gif  including telling the same stories!!! It was weird.
Do most bands do the same set at every show? Didn't they know that most people that were at the first show were going to be there the next night too  tongue.gif
I wouldn't say they were bad, they are LOUD tho. I ended up popping a xanax at the second show to help me get thru it  biggrin.gif  I just wished they had mixed it up a bit.

You're just used to seeing a band that changes their set lists like no other band from night to night. A lot of bands do keep the same set lists an entire tour, yes. There are a handful that change it up from night to night though.

Cause Pearl Jam is awesome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I so want to go to the 4 Philly shows! 4 shows, completely different! 1022.gif

I haven't listened to 90125 and Drama in ages. Forgot how great these are. "Changes" is probably my favorite '80s-era Yessong.

Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes

(I'm in a Fleet Foxes kick, can anyone tell? sarcasm.gif )