rush to be on the colbert report???

rushfr:CP

Such a cheery young lad.

Yeah Peart's overly sensitive to such things as you mention and perhaps TS has been played into submission (but it still kicks ass you'll agree...and better than anything on the radio still) but Colbert's show is a funny tongue-in-cheek, thumb-to-nose, satire on American politics with a decent following that might get some new eyes on the boys.

Plus they may think it's fun to do.

Fun.

Try having some. You may like it. You crazy radical moderate.

trink38.gif

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 16 2008, 08:50 PM)
Such a cheery young lad.

Yeah Peart's overly sensitive to such things as you mention and perhaps TS has been played into submission (but it still kicks ass you'll agree...and better than anything on the radio still) but Colbert's show is a funny tongue-in-cheek, thumb-to-nose, satire on American politics with a decent following that might get some new eyes on the boys.

Fun.

trink38.gif

I'm going to watch, don't fret. Yes he makes fun of American politics. One half of American politics. That's all I'm saying. If you don't have some conservative and some liberal ideas in you, you're not human. Colbert's shtick is the Tom Sawyer of political comedy. Overdone, unnecessary for the rest of time, and a song that a bunch of old drunken jerks with no taste know word-for-word; something that gets in the way of more creative, groundbreaking discourse.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jul 16 2008, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (FuzzplugJones @ Jul 16 2008, 08:41 PM)
Figures that would be the reply.  Never mind...

well how are we supposed to reply?

i think your taking it a bit too seriously.

1287.gif

How were you supposed to reply? Oh, I dunno, I figured there was maybe one or two Rush fans left on the planet who might see a kernel of truth somewhere in what I said. And yeah I'm taking it seriously, I've been invested in this band for more than 20 years, it pisses me off they never got the recognition they deserve, and this is a bittersweet return. I think it's a groundbreaking band being asked to play a tired overplayed song to satiate the mainstream, on a show that does a tired routine to satiate the mainstream. I don't know a lot of Rush fans in real life so I thought maybe this was the place to vent... and in case you think I'm in tears scratching the life-size tatto of Alex Lifeson off my chest, I am in fact relaxing on my porch, listening to the crickets, with my cat and my MacBook Pro, after a long hard workday, just seeing if anyone else is conflicted about this. To me it's like Pope John Paul II doing a world tour of strip bars. Thought it would be good to see what some other Rush fans thought.

(I was a little naieve in my assumptions, sorry.)

QUOTE (FuzzplugJones @ Jul 16 2008, 09:41 PM)
Figures that would be the reply. Never mind...

Actually, I agree with you 1000%.

Funny story with Roadshow! laugh.gif

QUOTE (FuzzplugJones @ Jul 16 2008, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 16 2008, 08:50 PM)
Such a cheery young lad.

Fun.

trink38.gif

I'm going to watch, don't fret. Yes he makes fun of American politics. One half of American politics. That's all I'm saying. If you don't have some conservative and some liberal ideas in you, you're not human. Colbert's shtick is the Tom Sawyer of political comedy. Overdone, unnecessary for the rest of time, and a song that a bunch of old drunken jerks with no taste know word-for-word; something that gets in the way of more creative, groundbreaking discourse.

old.gif hey there i'm an old drunken jerk and i've got some discourse. Ooo.. a nickel! Ah, there's an interesting story behind this nickel. In 1957, I remember it was, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast. I set the toaster to three - medium brown..... Then after World War Two, it got kinda quiet, 'till Superman challenged FDR to a race around the world. FDR beat him by a furlong, or so the comic books would have you believe. The truth lies somewhere in between...

..wait a minute, this Grandpa-speak is not funny. My apologies to the thread. 100 minutes to the show. But i won't make it old.gif schla03.gif .

QUOTE (FuzzplugJones @ Jul 16 2008, 09:04 PM)

1287.gif

How were you supposed to reply? Oh, I dunno, I figured there was maybe one or two Rush fans left on the planet who might see a kernel of truth somewhere in what I said. And yeah I'm taking it seriously, I've been invested in this band for more than 20 years, it pisses me off they never got the recognition they deserve, and this is a bittersweet return. I think it's a groundbreaking band being asked to play a tired overplayed song to satiate the mainstream, on a show that does a tired routine to satiate the mainstream. I don't know a lot of Rush fans in real life so I thought maybe this was the place to vent... and in case you think I'm in tears scratching the life-size tatto of Alex Lifeson off my chest, I am in fact relaxing on my porch, listening to the crickets, with my cat and my MacBook Pro, after a long hard workday, just seeing if anyone else is conflicted about this. To me it's like Pope John Paul II doing a world tour of strip bars. Thought it would be good to see what some other Rush fans thought.

do you really have a life size tatoo of Alex on your chest?!?!?!? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

ok, i understand. i guess i just disagree with you.....maybe its cause im just a young whipper-snapper, so i cant really fully understand what your saying, cause im only 16!

but im happy for Rush, and i respect your opinion. trink39.gif

QUOTE (FuzzplugJones @ Jul 16 2008, 10:04 PM)

1287.gif

What kind of recognition do you think Rush deserves?

I think Rush is enjoying their current success and are having some fun with it. It's that simple.

And how is Rush "groundbreaking"? confused13.gif What "ground" did they "break"?

QUOTE (Riv @ Jul 16 2008, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (FuzzplugJones @ Jul 16 2008, 09:41 PM)

Actually, I agree with you 1000%.

Funny story with Roadshow! laugh.gif

Run for it! They'll get you!

Kidding. Yeah, like I said I'll watch, but Jesus man, this band has meant so much to so many people, to come back to TV on a partisan show like that... I mean, it would be the same if they played on Hannity & Colmes... actually the only thing that would be different is that what *I* wrote would be what everyone *else* was writing :-). And that's what both amuses and disgusts me about politics.

I'm dreading an interview segment because you know it's going to be a partisan satirist egging on a group of non-US citizens to tell everyone what is wrong with the US. I'm well aware of all our blemishes, and I'm as ashamed as anyone else, but the "hey let's go find people in other countries to lecture us!" thing never sat well with me. Maybe I'm overreacting but it's only because I love the idea of Rush on TV, but not like this. I do agree with whoever said they should play The Big Money... now THERE's a non-partisan statement on the nature of elections, eh?

I suppose I could make a joke here like "I thought Sawyer's mind was not for rent! To any god or government!"

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jul 16 2008, 09:14 PM)
ok, i understand. i guess i just disagree with you.....maybe its cause im just a young whipper-snapper, so i cant really fully understand what your saying, cause im only 16!

If that's the case, you have my respect, that's the smartest thing I've ever heard a 16 year old say :-). See, I think people can disagree and respect each other. For many many years Rush inspired that kind of thing. It's just my opinion that Colbert stifles that kind of thing. The two together are a weird pair indeed.

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 16 2008, 10:20 PM)
I can't think of TV show I would rather see Rush play upon than The Colbert Report.

Truly a great day to be Rush fan!

1022.gif

Jimmy Kimmel live at the Pontiac Garage would have kicked more than a little ass.

QUOTE (FuzzplugJones @ Jul 16 2008, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jul 16 2008, 09:14 PM)

If that's the case, you have my respect, that's the smartest thing I've ever heard a 16 year old say :-). See, I think people can disagree and respect each other. For many many years Rush inspired that kind of thing. It's just my opinion that Colbert stifles that kind of thing. The two together are a weird pair indeed.

well i did make the honor roll every marking period last year......so i guess i am smart laugh.gif

only Rush fans could be this cool about disagreeing on things.

trink39.gif

cheers to you

I haven't posted here in forever, but I just had to.

This pisses me off like you would not believe.

I grew up with this band. I started playing drums at age ten because of Neil Peart. As I learned to play guitar and bass later in life, Rush albums were my practice tapes. This has got to be the most lame return I could have ever imagined.

First off, I don't need to see Rush perform Tom Sawyer AGAIN. I have been sick of this song since I was thirteen. If my iPod's battery is dead I can throw a beer bottle and hit someone who can sing it (he's usually in his 50s, piss-drunk off of his ass, and has never heard a Rush song other than TS or Limelight).

Secondly, I know I'm the only person on the planet and I don't care: Colbert is not funny. And no I'm not a Republican. I consider myself a radical moderate; I hate extremists on both sides. So yeah I hate Colbert like I hate O'Reilly. I don't care that it's a gag, in fact that's worse; O'Reilly may be a nutjob but he believes in what he does and does it with passion. Americans for some reason think the definition of "comedy" is "tear apart someone who doesn't believe what you believe." I can't stand him, I don't think he's funny.

And I am EMBARRASSED that a band that is such a trailblazer, has influenced COUNTLESS rock musicians, is listed as a major influence EVERYWHERE, a band that made their own path, their own music, their own way, and their own rules, is returning to American TV after more than THIRTY YEARS on some half-hour syndicated COMEDY SHOW hosted by a guy who thinks he's Bill O'Reilly. There are so many other bands suited for this kind of program... Green Day, Foo Fighters, John Mellencamp... the list is endless.

I think I remember that you guys don't want political content outside of your political forum, but how can you talk about Colbert without talking about politics? He makes fun of people based on what they believe. I always thought Rush attracted a crowd that was above that. There were so many other, greater, classier opportunities for Rush to break back into TV. This seems... well it just seems stupid. I know people are excited to see them on TV but for Pete's sake, this is RUSH. Colbert is a roach compared to these guys.

So yeah, if you need to delete this post or whatever, go ahead, but I'm just so... ugh. This doesn't feel right at all.

Anybody want to buy a hardcover "Roadshow" for cheap? I got to the part where he saw the God Bless America sticker on the truck and got all incredulous and then I had to stop.

This is utterly pathetic. Colbert is a response to 15 years of right wing hate TV passing itself off as news. Given the dismal record of the Neocons and their republican party it is unsuprising that finally a response has struck a chord with the public.

It is abundantly clear that Rush hold views on the last 8 years that Colbert viewers agree with (see S &A). This, along with their love of humor, makes Colbert a great fun thing to be on.

Anybody who doesn't see why 8 years of failed and probably illegal goverment is worth poking fun at ( cry?) is not paying attention.

If you like Rush you and you don't understand why they would want to do this you don't understand Rush.

QUOTE (Gerxt @ Jul 16 2008, 09:54 PM)

I grew up with this band. I started playing drums at age ten because of Neil Peart. As I learned to play guitar and bass later in life, Rush albums were my practice tapes. This has got to be the most lame return I could have ever imagined.

First off, I don't need to see Rush perform Tom Sawyer AGAIN. I have been sick of this song since I was thirteen. If my iPod's battery is dead I can throw a beer bottle and hit someone who can sing it (he's usually in his 50s, piss-drunk off of his ass, and has never heard a Rush song other than TS or Limelight).

Secondly, I know I'm the only person on the planet and I don't care: Colbert is not funny. And no I'm not a Republican. I consider myself a radical moderate; I hate extremists on both sides. So yeah I hate Colbert like I hate O'Reilly. I don't care that it's a gag, in fact that's worse; O'Reilly may be a nutjob but he believes in what he does and does it with passion. Americans for some reason think the definition of "comedy" is "tear apart someone who doesn't believe what you believe." I can't stand him, I don't think he's funny.

And I am EMBARRASSED that a band that is such a trailblazer, has influenced COUNTLESS rock musicians, is listed as a major influence EVERYWHERE, a band that made their own path, their own music, their own way, and their own rules, is returning to American TV after more than THIRTY YEARS on some half-hour syndicated COMEDY SHOW hosted by a guy who thinks he's Bill O'Reilly. There are so many other bands suited for this kind of program... Green Day, Foo Fighters, John Mellencamp... the list is endless.

I think I remember that you guys don't want political content outside of your political forum, but how can you talk about Colbert without talking about politics? He makes fun of people based on what they believe. I always thought Rush attracted a crowd that was above that. There were so many other, greater, classier opportunities for Rush to break back into TV. This seems... well it just seems stupid. I know people are excited to see them on TV but for Pete's sake, this is RUSH. Colbert is a roach compared to these guys.

So yeah, if you need to delete this post or whatever, go ahead, but I'm just so... ugh. This doesn't feel right at all.

Anybody want to buy a hardcover "Roadshow" for cheap? I got to the part where he saw the God Bless America sticker on the truck and got all incredulous and then I had to stop.

This is utterly pathetic. Colbert is a response to 15 years of right wing hate TV passing itself off as news. Given the dismal record of the Neocons and their republican party it is unsuprising that finally a response has struck a chord with the public.

It is abundantly clear that Rush hold views on the last 8 years that Colbert viewers agree with (see S &A). This, along with their love of humor, makes Colbert a great fun thing to be on.

Anybody who doesn't see why 8 years of failed and probably illegal goverment is worth poking fun at ( cry?) is not paying attention.

If you like Rush you and you don't understand why they would want to do this you don't understand Rush.

I don't watch the show, but if you say so. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Gerxt @ Jul 16 2008, 10:54 PM)

Who gives a shit?? Stop being nerds. The point is Rush is going to be on TV.

23 User(s) are reading this topic (10 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):

Did Lee Squat?, mazyyz, Storm Shadow, Necromancer, Tuning Fork, PuppetKing2112, snowdog2112, Tortoise and Hare, theredtamasrule, rushbass, Gerxt, SteelersFreak1, krlowe

popcorn.gif

Archived